The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old September 11, 2019, 12:52   #1
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
FN49 Questions

I have always wanted one and have decided to finally get one. I cannot decide which caliber I would prefer to get it in; 30-06, 8mm, or 7mm? The 30-06 appeals to me simply because of the three that is the only one that I already have a rifle chambered in. Are there any concerns about any of the specific calibers? Any known faults or problems with any of them? Are they all pretty much equal except for perceived desirability due to origin?

Thanks
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 13:35   #2
nosh
Registered

FALaholic #: 79851
7mm is best IMHO but all FN49s are good.
nosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 17:17   #3
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
Goose 52

He wrote the best book about all the FN-49's. He's a Fal Files member too and a Former US Marine.
Old September 11, 2019, 20:10   #4
adbm3
Registered

FALaholic #: 61973
I love my Luxembourg. Its beautiful and accurate. Plus, no problem getting 30-06 ammo.
adbm3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 20:15   #5
Goose52
Registered

FALaholic #: 4994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
I have always wanted one and have decided to finally get one. I cannot decide which caliber I would prefer to get it in; 30-06, 8mm, or 7mm? The 30-06 appeals to me simply because of the three that is the only one that I already have a rifle chambered in. Are there any concerns about any of the specific calibers? Any known faults or problems with any of them? Are they all pretty much equal except for perceived desirability due to origin?

Thanks
They are pretty much the same basic rifle with the primary difference being that the Egyptians in 7.92 Mauser do not have a firing pin safety stop which makes ammunition selection more critical (as well as requiring frequent inspections of firing pin condition). Another factor is whether you handload. The Venezuelans in 7mm Mauser are the nicest to shoot but it can be difficult to find ammunition that is suitable for use in gas-operated rifes. The Egyptians in 7.92 Mauser are generally the most affordable, and until recently had the widest availability of suitable mil-surp ammo, but that ammo is drying up. The .30-06 contract rifles are the easiest to feed, but the rifles (in the U.S. mostly Luxembourgs and Colombians) usually command higher prices than the Egyptians. Handloading gives you the ability to deal with ammo concerns.

Good luck with your decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee Carpentieri View Post
He wrote the best book about all the FN-49's. He's a Fal Files member too and a Former US Marine.
Thanks Lee. And we use the term "Marine veteran" rather than the use of the word "former."

Regarding the book, the second edition will be shipping soon - see the details in the C&R Forum.
Goose52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2019, 22:30   #6
Lee Carpentieri
Registered

FALaholic #: 4936
"Marine veteran"

Like my father said, Once a Marine, Always a Marine. He served from 1937 to 1939 as a combat engineer with the Marines in China. Then when WWII broke out he was with the 1ST Marine Division.As he put it, First in and last ones out.He stayed in until the end of the war.

Can't wait for the second edition to come out. Of course I'll want it signed by you like the first one I received from the publisher. Carry on Wayne, That's coming from a US Army veteran.
Old September 12, 2019, 08:42   #7
vmtz

FALaholic #: 1125
I love my Lux and Colombian. Both 30/06.

Vince
Old September 12, 2019, 09:08   #8
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goose52 View Post
They are pretty much the same basic rifle with the primary difference being that the Egyptians in 7.92 Mauser do not have a firing pin safety stop which makes ammunition selection more critical (as well as requiring frequent inspections of firing pin condition). Another factor is whether you handload. The Venezuelans in 7mm Mauser are the nicest to shoot but it can be difficult to find ammunition that is suitable for use in gas-operated rifes. The Egyptians in 7.92 Mauser are generally the most affordable, and until recently had the widest availability of suitable mil-surp ammo, but that ammo is drying up. The .30-06 contract rifles are the easiest to feed, but the rifles (in the U.S. mostly Luxembourgs and Colombians) usually command higher prices than the Egyptians. Handloading gives you the ability to deal with ammo concerns.

Good luck with your decision.

Thanks Lee. And we use the term "Marine veteran" rather than the use of the word "former."

Regarding the book, the second edition will be shipping soon - see the details in the C&R Forum.
Fantastic information; thank you! For some reason I am drawn to the Venezuelan 7mm, but the 30-06 makes more sense. From what I have seen the 30-06's have been commanding 1.5-2x the price of a Venezuelan 7mm. I will keep my eye out and make a decision using the information you provided and the preference that I develop between now and the purchase date
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13, 2019, 08:41   #9
mp
Registered

FALaholic #: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by Incognito View Post
Fantastic information; thank you! For some reason I am drawn to the Venezuelan 7mm, but the 30-06 makes more sense. From what I have seen the 30-06's have been commanding 1.5-2x the price of a Venezuelan 7mm. I will keep my eye out and make a decision using the information you provided and the preference that I develop between now and the purchase date
I am building a 30-06 out of an Egyptian 8mm donor and a batch of original 30-06 parts. No issues so far other than the time and effort turning a 30-06 tube from a blank. Next project will probably be a 7.62 x 51 from a non matching Venny 7mm I acquired. I would love to convert to Argie detachable box style, but to much guesswork without having one in hand to reverse engineer.
mp is offline   Reply With Quote