The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old December 15, 2017, 19:45   #1
gunners
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 55824
L1A1 Mags On Sale

I stick to Metric myself but for you Commonwealth fiends 33% off sounds pretty good for issue mags.
https://www.dsarms.com/p-13856-fal-l...condition.aspx

Last edited by gunners; December 15, 2017 at 22:21.
gunners is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2017, 21:54   #2
Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 1273
Thank you!
Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2017, 23:25   #3
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Well,,,,
Hopefully they really are in "Good" condition....
Old December 15, 2017, 23:40   #4
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Well,,,,
Yeah, like the "good condition" Styer mags they sold at Knob Creek awhile back. Some were, most were not.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 15, 2017, 23:42   #5
Ghost
Registered

FALaholic #: 1273
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post
Well,,,,
I hope so. At $20ea. Its hard to pass up. I avoided inch mags before I had an L1A1. Now I kick myself, its one of those: if i could go back to when I was 19 things. There was always cool new surplus popping up.
Ghost is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 20:59   #6
3Gunnah
Registered

FALaholic #: 73453
It figures after I spend $40 a mag to build them with NOS parts. Thanks for the heads up!
3Gunnah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16, 2017, 21:17   #7
MajHenryWest
Registered

FALaholic #: 11906
Thumbs up

These are worth it just for the components and use as spares.
Old December 20, 2017, 13:55   #8
P FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 30228
Thank you gunners

I purchased some of these and they are very nice.
P FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 09:50   #9
JZKragger
Registered

FALaholic #: 75202
mags on sale

They must have sold a bunch - back up to $29.95.
JZKragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 17:12   #10
JAYG0351
Registered

FALaholic #: 29479
apexgunparts has them they say poor condition but they are not, they just need cleaning.
JAYG0351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22, 2017, 17:30   #11
wvfal
Registered

FALaholic #: 62305
I bought 10. All of them needed a good cleaning but were in good shape.
wvfal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 07, 2018, 08:26   #12
VAplinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 78941
Good heads up - decent mags. They did show up pretty gungy. Cleaned up well, and look to be good to go.
VAplinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 08, 2018, 22:25   #13
haplo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74592
L1a1 mags

For the last 3 posts (#11-13) did you guys get yours from Apex or DSA ?
haplo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 07:00   #14
VAplinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 78941
DSA
VAplinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 13:25   #15
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Checked receipts, 14 months ago and about every six to eight weeks previous to then added 10 to 12 nice milsurp metric mags to every order from Centerfire Systems at $7.99 each. About 18 months ago they ran a $6.99 sale and bought a big pile to go with the ~200 inch tabs purchased when the "lost bag" was found. Set up a jig for my mill to make appropriate cut, spot welded tabs on about half dozen test units then coated with Deadwood. Worked perfectly and not counting labor had under $9 inch mags that are 100% reliable and finish holds up great. Plan was sell for $25 and double my money converting metrics to inch.

Now that $20 is good price for used metric mags dont think it's worth the effort to machine, spot-weld the tabs then Ceakote to mark up and sell as inch mags for $25. Amazingly price jumped $13 overnight when Centerfire Systems and a couple other vendors ran out of their cheap metric or just chose to all raise price at same time. Could double my money without any labor, sell tabs to those who might want to convert some metric to inch mags and sit on this stack and see where the price levels out.

Anyone know why price on milsurp metric magazines jumped so high in such a short time frame? Had been buying metrics at $6.99/7.99 so long assumed they would stay that price or would have stacked them deeper. Stockpiling high capacity magazines has never done me wrong but losing my crystal ball somewhere in the hoard has messed up my forecasting of which is going to be the quickest and biggest profit maker.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 18:25   #16
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I just sent into APEX for 5 for $18.95 Ea.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2018, 20:02   #17
randy762ak
Registered

FALaholic #: 25888
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
I just sent into APEX for 5 for $18.95 Ea.

krf
Let me know how they are =--=If salvageable Ill order a couple !
randy762ak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 11:27   #18
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
Got my 5 mags from Apex. The were greasy/dirty and the finish worn, but no dents and no rust. Some Simple Green and hot water and they look presentable. I have 10 like new C1 mags made from parts and these 5 and a few odd balls, which should be enough to keep my Brit SLR and Aussie L1A1 fed.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 13, 2018, 14:00   #19
randy762ak
Registered

Great --!!! Ill get In on the deal !
Old January 22, 2018, 16:18   #20
slag
Registered

FALaholic #: 1507
Got 6 mags from APEX... grungy and dirty, but no dents. 1 mag had surface rust on one side, it scrubbed right off. Good mags for a good price.
slag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018, 01:11   #21
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Checked receipts, 14 months ago and about every six to eight weeks previous to then added 10 to 12 nice milsurp metric mags to every order from Centerfire Systems at $7.99 each. About 18 months ago they ran a $6.99 sale and bought a big pile to go with the ~200 inch tabs purchased when the "lost bag" was found. Set up a jig for my mill to make appropriate cut, spot welded tabs on about half dozen test units then coated with Deadwood. Worked perfectly and not counting labor had under $9 inch mags that are 100% reliable and finish holds up great. Plan was sell for $25 and double my money converting metrics to inch.

Now that $20 is good price for used metric mags dont think it's worth the effort to machine, spot-weld the tabs then Ceakote to mark up and sell as inch mags for $25. Amazingly price jumped $13 overnight when Centerfire Systems and a couple other vendors ran out of their cheap metric or just chose to all raise price at same time. Could double my money without any labor, sell tabs to those who might want to convert some metric to inch mags and sit on this stack and see where the price levels out.

Anyone know why price on milsurp metric magazines jumped so high in such a short time frame? Had been buying metrics at $6.99/7.99 so long assumed they would stay that price or would have stacked them deeper. Stockpiling high capacity magazines has never done me wrong but losing my crystal ball somewhere in the hoard has messed up my forecasting of which is going to be the quickest and biggest profit maker.
Truth ?

Neckbearding mostly Huey

You venture over into the pit that is the AK Files the neckbearding is neck deep.
Guys buying kits when on discount and tearing them down. Start adding bits together a $225 kit can bring in roughly $400

Used to go on here big time, same deal. Tearing down kits and making up bits.
These days not so much so the neckbearders buy up mags hoping to flip at least at 50% margins
There are folks sitting on hundreds of mags, hell I have a huge tub full of original Dutch AR10 mags I bought when they were a buck each I need to dig out and list someday, several tubs of 40rd Beretta mags and so on.
Working on a deal to dump over 100 Chauchat mags. Bought those in like 81' for fifty cents each...big money now huh.

late 70s Navy Arms closed out the lock assms they pulled from Maxim dewats
forget the price but cheap, like under $3.00 each. I sat on those until 2001, sold the box at $125 each. Most of the loose Maxim locks these days likely passed through my soiled hands

What I am trying to illustrate is the difference between investing and internet neckbearding. I sit on product for years, neckbeards buy it all up then vend it at sizable markup immediately

APEX imported a very small number of folder M72 RPKs. What was a 600.00 item was selling for a grand a month later and 99% of that was over the detachable bipod
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 23, 2018, 09:00   #22
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Working on a deal to dump over 100 Chauchat mags. Bought those in like 81' for fifty cents each...big money now huh.
Email me price and condition. An associate has a dewat I'm supposed to rewat at some point, but the gun only has a few mags.
Old January 24, 2018, 11:44   #23
SmokeEater2
Old grouchy bastid
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10990
Quote:
Originally Posted by K. Funk View Post
Got my 5 mags from Apex. The were greasy/dirty and the finish worn, but no dents and no rust. Some Simple Green and hot water and they look presentable. I have 10 like new C1 mags made from parts and these 5 and a few odd balls, which should be enough to keep my Brit SLR and Aussie L1A1 fed.

krf

Did you strip them down for the Simple Green bath or chunk 'em in whole and boil until tender?

I've got a couple of dirty greasy inch mags that function ok but they have some dings and dents that would make disassembly and reassembly tough if not unpossible.

I've been thinking about giving them a boil as is and then dunking them in some Ballistol and water mix to head off any rusting afterwards.

Sure wish I hadn't given inch mags away like candy years ago.
SmokeEater2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2018, 20:32   #24
randy762ak
Registered

I got 2 of them --dirty ,Cleaned up with carb-cleaner and spray canned them $6.00 shipping .Light dent in one ! does not affect operation...3 days shipping from order..