The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 21, 2017, 18:47   #1
fly2.0
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
fly2.0's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 79608
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Under fire in Kentucky
Posts: 71
Any Piston Drive Guy's out there LWRC M6A2

ANY Piston Drive Lover's out there ? POST PIC'S OF YOUR PISTON DRIVE ?
=================================================


I've been looking and waiting for the right deal to pop up .

NIB Older style Mid length Free Float Quad rail M6A2 ; Range trip soon .... All my Pony's are pissed .....



__________________
==================================

** Buy the Best / Don't mess with the Rest **

==================================
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 21, 2017, 19:50   #2
Trypcil
Deep Thunkerer!
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 63101
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,410
Ar 7.62x39 Pistons



Don't like the Eotech on her so now it isn't!



yes I know no booze, or Mags!
__________________
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled!" -- Mark Twain
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire
http://arizonaenergy.org/BodyEnergy/antoine_bechamp.htm
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 14:16   #3
MistWolf
Registered
 
MistWolf's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 7435
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Utah
Posts: 2,779
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2.0 View Post
All my Pony's are pissed
No, they aren't
__________________
I should have followed my childhood dream of becoming a Mad Storyteller
MistWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 16:43   #4
fly2.0
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
fly2.0's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 79608
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Under fire in Kentucky
Posts: 71
My other 556 Piston drive ...lol....

__________________
==================================

** Buy the Best / Don't mess with the Rest **

==================================
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 16:50   #5
Trypcil
Deep Thunkerer!
Bronze Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 63101
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: GA
Posts: 3,410
That pistol is most Handsome, a real devil in dark - Very Nice!
__________________
"It's easier to fool people than to convince them they have been fooled!" -- Mark Twain
"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize." -- Voltaire
http://arizonaenergy.org/BodyEnergy/antoine_bechamp.htm
Trypcil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 16:52   #6
Dan44
Registered
 
Dan44's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 12398
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 492
Can't post pics, but I own a LWRC upper in 5.45x39.
Dan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017, 05:39   #7
fly2.0
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
fly2.0's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 79608
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Under fire in Kentucky
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan44 View Post
Can't post pics, but I own a LWRC upper in 5.45x39.
If you have a Cam ? LMK if you need help posting pic's . I'll walk you through it .
__________________
==================================

** Buy the Best / Don't mess with the Rest **

==================================
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017, 16:05   #8
Dan44
Registered
 
Dan44's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 12398
Join Date: Nov 2003
Posts: 492
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts
Dan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017, 05:26   #9
fly2.0
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
fly2.0's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 79608
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Under fire in Kentucky
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan44 View Post
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts

If you can post a reply ^^^ like you did above ^^^ you can post pictures .

PM sent with link to sign up for your picture download .
__________________
==================================

** Buy the Best / Don't mess with the Rest **

==================================
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 24, 2017, 05:29   #10
FALonious
In His Grip
Silver Contributor
 
FALonious's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 51017
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: MI
Posts: 3,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan44 View Post
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may edit your posts
No worries, it says that for all of us. Use a third party host like Tinypic or whatever....not photobucket.
Then pics work....easy peasy.
__________________
All men dream, but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds, wake in the day to find that it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act on their dreams with open eyes, to make them possible.

T. E. Lawrence

FALonious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30, 2017, 13:45   #11
fly2.0
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
fly2.0's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 79608
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Under fire in Kentucky
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trypcil View Post
That pistol is most Handsome, a real devil in dark - Very Nice!

Thanks,
She is a Little devil ....
__________________
==================================

** Buy the Best / Don't mess with the Rest **

==================================
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 11, 2017, 13:44   #12
fly2.0
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
fly2.0's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 79608
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Under fire in Kentucky
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trypcil View Post



yes I know no booze, or Mags!
Gold lettering ^^^^^^^
__________________
==================================

** Buy the Best / Don't mess with the Rest **

==================================
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 01:58   #13
Tuscan Raider
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 19668
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 4,746
Piston driven is so 2013.

A civilian will never run a DI hard enough to need a piston.
__________________
"An eye for an eye makes us all blind."

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 12, 2017, 22:07   #14
mp
Registered
 
mp's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 654
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 2,666
Possibly picking up a piston upper tomorrow if all goes as planned.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 13, 2017, 14:55   #15
partisan50
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 1222
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: nePA
Posts: 829
I have two AR15s with LWRC uppers; bought both back in 2007. One is a M6 16" and the other is a M6a1 10.5" SBR. Both work great with or without a can.
partisan50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 04:46   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 3,909
Never wanted an AR pistol or a piston AR. Was given a complete KAC pistol buffer setup with Slash Heavy Buffer and pistol brace by guy tired of fighting his pistol and fixing broken parts plus gas in face. Since have complete rear end now looking for a deal on pistol length piston kit and plan to build my first pistol and piston gun at same time. Figure the two should compliment each other allowing pistol to run clean, break less parts and accuracy of a pistol is not going to be affected enough to matter. Seems like the way to build one. Also trying to find one of the old LWRC 8.5" 6.8 spc II barrels. 8.5" 6.8 piston drive pistol build with adapter for quick change can and should fit in my briefcase with can removed. Talk about an ugly room clearing beast but snatch out a 6.8 pistol, snap on can and though would still be loud, would be a mean machine. Now trolling online used parts so can see how frustrating or fun project becomes.
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 08:06   #17
jhend170
Texan by God's Grace
Contributor
 
jhend170's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 76477
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Since have complete rear end now looking for a deal on pistol length piston kit and plan to build my first pistol and piston gun at same time. Also trying to find one of the old LWRC 8.5" 6.8 spc II barrels. 8.5" 6.8 piston drive pistol build with adapter for quick change can and should fit in my briefcase with can removed. Talk about an ugly room clearing beast but snatch out a 6.8 pistol, snap on can and though would still be loud, would be a mean machine. Now trolling online used parts so can see how frustrating or fun project becomes.
Not sure what brand piston system you're looking for but if you find a deal on an Adams the only diff is the length of the drive rod, and they're not terribly expensive. I would, however, be sure to get one of the units with the adjustable gas, either the original or (I prefer) the XLP. This is what I built my 10.5" 300BO pistol with as it has 5 gas positions if memory serves, so when the can goes on you can turn the gas down at the flip of a lever.
Speaking of cans, I'm curious why the choice of the 6.8 instead of the BO? The BO has a complete powder burn at around 9" of barrel length, where the 6.8 you need about 16" to get there. If you can get all the powder burnt it's much nicer to your can, and makes the can more effective as well as far as hearing protection goes.

I haven't looked but I can't see energy being too different from a barrel that short, and I'd guess with the more efficient burn the BO would win there out to 150yds or more when BC starts to matter. I've taken pigs with mine out over 100yds with 130gr Hog Hammers using the Barnes TSX bullets. Nasty wounds let me tell ya, and that's what the magazines stay loaded with for SHTF purposes. I figure if it does that to mean little 4-legged vermin, it would do the same to the 2-legged variety. 4 30-round mags can make for a lot of "WRONG (fill in blank here) MOTHER @#@#$@!!!!" as well.

I do love the compactness of the pistol for the amount of firepower it delivers. Mine fits in a soft tennis-racquet case as well as the extra mags. I've also taken a modern violin case and added new foam for a nice clean custom fit if I'm travelling; just looks like a piece of business luggage of some sort. Looks like this: http://i2.wp.com/stringsmagazine.str...Style-Case.jpg

As a lefty I need ambi controls, but I think they are smart to have no matter, especially if you carry something that may be put to live-saving use at some point. Being able to run controls from either hand can be a life saver, especially if your dominant gets injured or a position only allows fire from the non-dom side. I went with the San-Tan tactical receiver as it's fully ambi from the factory, with all the ambi stuff in place already. Damned nice work too. They sell a blem for far less than the regular price, and I've yet to find the blem on mine.

Anyway just sharing my thoughts about how I got to where I am with mine and was curious about yours.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 08:59   #18
fly2.0
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
fly2.0's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 79608
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Under fire in Kentucky
Posts: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by mp View Post
Possibly picking up a piston upper tomorrow if all goes as planned.
^^^^ What did you get ? ^^^^^^^
__________________
==================================

** Buy the Best / Don't mess with the Rest **

==================================
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 09:06   #19
fly2.0
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
fly2.0's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 79608
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Under fire in Kentucky
Posts: 71
Anyone see , or have a Colt Piston drive ?

I see the BCG on GB
__________________
==================================

** Buy the Best / Don't mess with the Rest **

==================================
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 12:16   #20
mp
Registered
 
mp's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 654
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 2,666
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly2.0 View Post
^^^^ What did you get ? ^^^^^^^
Nothing. Seller flaked. Still on the hunt.
mp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 12:30   #21
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor
 
Nuttz's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 69873
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Virginia
Posts: 2,709
Both Gas Piston:

SIG MCX:





SIG MPX: ...the short stroke little brother in 9mm



__________________
"He who controls the spice, controls the universe!" ― Frank Herbert
Nuttz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 15, 2017, 15:50   #22
fly2.0
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
fly2.0's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 79608
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Under fire in Kentucky
Posts: 71
Very Nice side folder's ^^^^^^^^^^^^
__________________
==================================

** Buy the Best / Don't mess with the Rest **

==================================
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017, 07:39   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 3,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhend170 View Post
Not sure what brand piston system you're looking for but if you find a deal on an Adams the only diff is the length of the drive rod, and they're not terribly expensive. I would, however, be sure to get one of the units with the adjustable gas, either the original or (I prefer) the XLP. This is what I built my 10.5" 300BO pistol with as it has 5 gas positions if memory serves, so when the can goes on you can turn the gas down at the flip of a lever.
Speaking of cans, I'm curious why the choice of the 6.8 instead of the BO? The BO has a complete powder burn at around 9" of barrel length, where the 6.8 you need about 16" to get there. If you can get all the powder burnt it's much nicer to your can, and makes the can more effective as well as far as hearing protection goes.
(Trim)
Anyway just sharing my thoughts about how I got to where I am with mine and was curious about yours.
Have built two 300 BO's in past. At one time did a cartidges count and in AR 15 had rifles in 20 Tactical, 204 Ruger, 223/5.56/5.56 Wylde, 5.728, 6.8 spc, 6.8 spc II, 300 BO and 7.6240 Wilson. Was also finding myself at local WMA range a lot till had to stop going on weekends because of the 300 BO. 300 became so popular and people tend to go to range in small groups of family or friends. It became almost a regular thing on busy weekend that a group would have three or four guys with AR's sharing a bench and at some point some person not paying attention would slap a 300 BO mag in a 5.56 rifle and KaBoom. Range officers told me at that range a 300 BO magazine found its way into a 5.56 rifle one to three times a week. I have enough problems being retarded so tore down my 300 BO rifles and let 7.6240 Wilson which will not go into battery if try to use in a 5.56 rifle fill that niche.

At same time was having a lively discussion with GP about the difference between a collector/experimenter and standardization. Some people think pick a large battle rifle in 7.6251 and a small rifle either AK or AR but whichever use one standard cartridge. I saw some merit to the argument but still enjoy tinkering and some variety. Tore down all my 20 amd 30 caliber AR's. Cut it down to just 5.56 family and 6.8 spc II till 22 Nosler was released which have barrel number 4 ready to build. Wife still has her pair of 5.728's but I seldom fool with them. With 5.56, 6.8 and 22 Nosler even if grab wrong magazine for rifle will not go into battery and fire or if somehow got a 5.56 round to go off in Nosler chamber would not KaBoom. Therefore 300 BO is no longer an option in my house as wife plays with rifles as wel, and do my best to keep everything properly sorted, don't want an issue see happen regularly happen to me.

Currently I have four 14.7 6.8's and velocity is fine. Done a lot of testing and research and other than normal fall off that most cartridges see for each inch of loss of barrel length, the 6.8 spc II does not see significant velocity loss till drop below 11.5". Have a suppressor coming for a 12.5" 6.8 SBR and this cartridge performs well at 12.5". LWRC who probably has done more research on 6.8 of any manufacturer admits that 8.5" barrels are not efficient. Honestly I don't care. This is going to be a toy and may occasionally go in my briefcase that currently has a SIG 9mm with an Osprey can. An 8.5" 6.8 is going to way out perform the 9mm SIG. Odds are I will tailor a load using fast burning powder for the pistol project. Will have to test with 90 to 200 grain bullets to see which suits it best.

Even after cutting five cartridges then adding one back, four total cartidges to manage in one rifle is more than enough. Have shot 6.8 and 300 side by side. Except for short barrel suppressed, the 6.8 outperforms 300 in all other aspects that matter to me. 85 grain Barnes Copper Solids and 90 grain Gold Dots hit hard. 110 and 120 grain tipped bullets will take elk size game with authority. Even with a 14.7" carbine. With 20" barrel and 130 grain bullets would even carry in big bear country for protection. It would be simple to go with 300 BO for this project but to add just the one into my fleet adds potential for disaster.

Only reason have AR 10's is ability to easily build rifles in longer cartridges. Have them in 6XC and 338 Federal but not 308/7.6251. Next pair will most likely be 7mm-08. Had planned on building a pair of 22-250 AR 10's instead but 22 Nosler in the AR 15 eliminated that need. Have so many 7.6251 battle rifles in FAL's, M1a's, H&K's, CETME's and such don't need 308 AR 10 but am really tempted now to build one and drop a binary trigger and large Beta mag in it for trimming the brush. But for now, will let others play with 300 BO and there is a good chance after build the 6.8 pistol will play with it then part it out.
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017, 08:35   #24
jhend170
Texan by God's Grace
Contributor
 
jhend170's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 76477
Join Date: Sep 2015
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 1,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Have built two 300 BO's in past. At one time did a cartidges count and in AR 15 had rifles in 20 Tactical, 204 Ruger, 223/5.56/5.56 Wylde, 5.728, 6.8 spc, 6.8 spc II, 300 BO and 7.6240 Wilson. Was also finding myself at local WMA range a lot till had to stop going on weekends because of the 300 BO. 300 became so popular and people tend to go to range in small groups of family or friends. It became almost a regular thing on busy weekend that a group would have three or four guys with AR's sharing a bench and at some point some person not paying attention would slap a 300 BO mag in a 5.56 rifle and KaBoom. Range officers told me at that range a 300 BO magazine found its way into a 5.56 rifle one to three times a week. I have enough problems being retarded so tore down my 300 BO rifles and let 7.6240 Wilson which will not go into battery if try to use in a 5.56 rifle fill that niche.

At same time was having a lively discussion with GP about the difference between a collector/experimenter and standardization. Some people think pick a large battle rifle in 7.6251 and a small rifle either AK or AR but whichever use one standard cartridge. I saw some merit to the argument but still enjoy tinkering and some variety. Tore down all my 20 amd 30 caliber AR's. Cut it down to just 5.56 family and 6.8 spc II till 22 Nosler was released which have barrel number 4 ready to build. Wife still has her pair of 5.728's but I seldom fool with them. With 5.56, 6.8 and 22 Nosler even if grab wrong magazine for rifle will not go into battery and fire or if somehow got a 5.56 round to go off in Nosler chamber would not KaBoom. Therefore 300 BO is no longer an option in my house as wife plays with rifles as wel, and do my best to keep everything properly sorted, don't want an issue see happen regularly happen to me.

Currently I have four 14.7 6.8's and velocity is fine. Done a lot of testing and research and other than normal fall off that most cartridges see for each inch of loss of barrel length, the 6.8 spc II does not see significant velocity loss till drop below 11.5". Have a suppressor coming for a 12.5" 6.8 SBR and this cartridge performs well at 12.5". LWRC who probably has done more research on 6.8 of any manufacturer admits that 8.5" barrels are not efficient. Honestly I don't care. This is going to be a toy and may occasionally go in my briefcase that currently has a SIG 9mm with an Osprey can. An 8.5" 6.8 is going to way out perform the 9mm SIG. Odds are I will tailor a load using fast burning powder for the pistol project. Will have to test with 90 to 200 grain bullets to see which suits it best.

Even after cutting five cartridges then adding one back, four total cartidges to manage in one rifle is more than enough. Have shot 6.8 and 300 side by side. Except for short barrel suppressed, the 6.8 outperforms 300 in all other aspects that matter to me. 85 grain Barnes Copper Solids and 90 grain Gold Dots hit hard. 110 and 120 grain tipped bullets will take elk size game with authority. Even with a 14.7" carbine. With 20" barrel and 130 grain bullets would even carry in big bear country for protection. It would be simple to go with 300 BO for this project but to add just the one into my fleet adds potential for disaster.

Only reason have AR 10's is ability to easily build rifles in longer cartridges. Have them in 6XC and 338 Federal but not 308/7.6251. Next pair will most likely be 7mm-08. Had planned on building a pair of 22-250 AR 10's instead but 22 Nosler in the AR 15 eliminated that need. Have so many 7.6251 battle rifles in FAL's, M1a's, H&K's, CETME's and such don't need 308 AR 10 but am really tempted now to build one and drop a binary trigger and large Beta mag in it for trimming the brush. But for now, will let others play with 300 BO and there is a good chance after build the 6.8 pistol will play with it then part it out.
I would call that a complete answer!

I get the reasoning. If there is a chance at a kaboom then that's a good way to prevent it. I keep a batch of black mags for 5.56, have FDE for my BO stuff. I rarely shoot with groups so this manages separation for me. In the rare instances I do provide guns and ammo to a group I only go 5.56; I'm a cheap bastard, what can I say?

I have plans to build a 6.8 upper for one of my ARs. I bought a receiver and 2 fitted uppers for it, and have not built out the second matched upper. The 5.56 upper is my version of a Mk12, and figure I'll do the same in 6.8. I like things to handle similarly, and an 18" SPC should make for a nice whitetail and pig dispatcher.

I admit I haven't done a terrible lot of research on the SPCII. What do you consider the effective range with factory ammo from the 18" barrel?
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16, 2017, 11:03   #25
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 3,909
Tripped across article about guy in Delta Force last night. Pics above reminded me. Carries either a SIG 416 in 12 or 14 inch most missions. With his 14" SIG 416 in 5.56 shoots 100% at 600 yards and 97% at 1,000 yards on man size silhouette. I officially resign my operator badge.
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:29.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2015 The FAL Files