The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old November 19, 2017, 19:53   #1
AKMac
Registered

FALaholic #: 8523
Removing Argentine bolt pin, or machine upper?

I bought an Argentine kit with a force matched coonan receiver on gunbroker ,for what I thought was a good price, as my second build. Unfortunately when I was assembling the lower I noticed that the upper does not have the required cut for the Argentine bolt pin (I test fit an imbel lower and everything fits up nicely). I'm not sure if this is coonan's fault or if the original buyer didn't specify it, but it doesn't matter now as I'm going to attempt to make this work.

My question is, would it be as simple as cutting out the bolt pin? It looks like it is riveted in place so if I took my band-saw to the lower and removed the pin, I think it would stay in place, though I'm not sure.

The other option is to take my drill press, drill a hole approximately where the pin would go in the upper, band-saw the rest out, and file to fit. I would like to use a milling machine, but I do not have one.

Anyways, what is the best way to get myself out of this pickle?
AKMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 21:00   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Buyer of the Coonan didn't specify the Argy cut. I don't like screwing up Argy parts. f the kit matches then machine the upper. Personally I'd get the Argy upper if it was a nice kit.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 22:53   #3
AKMac
Registered

FALaholic #: 8523
The kit basically looks brand new (other than where my barrel vise took off the finish )

I'm considering ordering a new argy receiver from coonan, but it looks like it would be very easy to just saw cut the relief and file down the rear lug? How tight of fit does the hammer pin relief need to be? Is it a precision fit or can I have a little wiggle room?

Another curiosity I noticed tonight is that the front hand guard screw hole isn't drilled completely through the barrel correctly. It almost looks like it's tilted off center. Fortunately it appears that the gas port is drilled and on center. Nothing that the drill press can't fix though.
AKMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 07:44   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
The cut is a radius. Probably could use an end mill to achieve it.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2017, 08:15   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I do the lower so it will fit any upper and so I can use an unmodified US hammer if needed for 922 compliance.

I cut the pin, blast it and the lower clean, then silver solder it back in. Once soldered, I can cut it flush. Also machine out block on receiver lock lug area.

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.co...-solder-01.jpg

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.co...or-stop-03.jpg
Old November 20, 2017, 21:05   #6
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
Where are you located AKmac?

A few minutes with a Dremel tool can remove enough material from the upper receiver to allow the lower to lock. Use a dull tool and take your time.

Just a few years ago StG58 kits were plentiful and cutting them up for carbine builds was a popular thing to do. Now unmolested StG58 kits bring a handsome premium.
I would ask you to consider this before cutting or modifying your otherwise unmolested Argentine kit.
Old November 20, 2017, 22:25   #7
G3isMe
Not a Sr. Senior Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
IIRC Sarco sent out some Argie barrels with the gasblocks kiddywhampous. There are threads here about those barrels.

p.s. wrap your barrel with a piece of typing paper underneath your barrel vice and you won't marr your barrel's finish.
Old November 21, 2017, 06:39   #8
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hebrew Battle Rifle View Post
Just a few years ago StG58 kits were plentiful and cutting them up for carbine builds was a popular thing to do. Now unmolested StG58 kits bring a handsome premium. I would ask you to consider this before cutting or modifying your otherwise unmolested Argentine kit.
That's pretty retarded HBR.

That's like saying "keep the thumbhole stock because the gun is worth more with it".

This was a block added to prevent correct parts from fitting. It is in the same category as fake flash hiders, thumbhole stocks, pinned-open folding stocks, etc.

"Modifying" the kit is returning it to original military configuration, before the time Argentina modified it for civilian and export sales. Same with their neutered flash hider. It is not "original", it's an export replacement for the original.

Restoring a kit to original military configuration enhances its value. It is not like chopping a barrel that is becoming more scarce.
Old November 21, 2017, 08:09   #9
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
That's pretty retarded HBR.

That's like saying "keep the thumbhole stock because the gun is worth more with it".

This was a block added to prevent correct parts from fitting. It is in the same category as fake flash hiders, thumbhole stocks, pinned-open folding stocks, etc.

"Modifying" the kit is returning it to original military configuration, before the time Argentina modified it for civilian and export sales. Same with their neutered flash hider. It is not "original", it's an export replacement for the original.

Restoring a kit to original military configuration enhances its value. It is not like chopping a barrel that is becoming more scarce.
An excellent point,a view I had never considered concerning Argy parts and rifles.