The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old May 26, 2002, 13:28   #1
Bandit
Registered

FALaholic #: 6267
Building Documentation *COMPLETE*

I just finished building a website that will document my adventure into building a FAL. Well it's not exactly finished, for that matter neither is the rifle, but it's a place where I will document my first FAL build. Check it out and tell me what you think. Any suggestions/comments are warmly welcome.

UPDATE June 2017: To keep my sanity, instead of reviving old content of original build, I'll document my Izzy build here with new content. I'll still preserve what Mr. Zeller saved/archived for us and host it once I acquire a domain. Stay Tuned!!!!

Bandit's Fal Project!

*UPDATE June 2nd*: Did quite a bit of work on the project the past couple of days, and updated the website to show the progress.. !!

*UPDATE June 7th*: More updates to the site. The "Bake-On Finish" page has content now. Also I have an alternative webserver hosting the site!! KP was gracious to offer me some webspace on his server to help him beta test for bugs and such.

*UPDATE June 25th*: Some changes have been made to the project.. Oh, and the pages have been updated to reflect those changes too!!

*UPDATE July 3rd*: Updated the "Shopping Lists" page. All parts/tools are on order now, so all that's left is for them to arrive so I can get cracking on finishing this project. Tentative final tally shows that I over spent on parts by $23.50 even though I got some good deals on US parts from the "Group Buy" from moses (Thanks moses!!), but saved on tools by $58.50. So, I actually came out (so far) $35 under budget!!! This helped buy the Para style rear sight w/knob from Dan at VOW, which is listed as an "Optional Part" on the shopping list.

Shipped off the barrel to PCS Inc. to have it chopped to 16.25", crowned and threaded for the US made muzzle brake I got with the Imbel kit. Only other change to the pages was a link to VOW added to my "FAL Links" page. Thanks Dan!!!

*UPDATE July 9th*: Some of the parts/tools that were ordered on the 2nd/3rd of July have started trickling in . All of the tools are in now in my posession, and my FFL called me today to let me know my Imbel "Gear Logo" receiver is in. I'll pick it up tomorrow weather and work permitting.

Jim at PCS Inc. emailed me some progress pics on the cut, thread and crown job on the barrel. Pics and descriptions of the recently received tools/parts and a short synopsis of the barrel service (w/pics) can be seen on the website by going to the "Barrel & US Parts" link in the toolbar. Might need to hit "refresh/reload" if you visited there before, for the new link to show up.

*UPDATE July 10th*: Picked up the Imbel "Gear Logo" upper receiver I ordered from The Dealer Warhouse today from my FFL. I posted pics on the "Barrel & US Parts" page. I'm jazzed!!

*UPDATE July 12th*: Most of the remaining parts (Except for the "Para Type" rear sight) for the "Texas Jungle" Carbine came in today, including the barrel returning from PCS Inc. Check the "Barrel & US Parts" page for more details. I have enough parts on hand now to resume building. The website will be updated as the build progresses, so check the site often!!

*UPDATE July 13th*: Lower receiver is BUILT!!

*UPDATE July 14th*: Worked on my upper receiver today and made progress. Check out the site to see the most up-to-date info.

*UPDATE July 17th*: Torqued/timed the barrel and checked headspace yesterday. Project is on temporary hold waiting for correct size locking shoulder from Jen.. The end of the tunnel is in sight.. Check out the website for "Up-To-Date info!!

*UPDATE July 20th*: The FN/FAL "Texas Jungle" Carbine is now ready for test firing. There are a few "finishing" steps that will be accomplished after test firing and any bugs that may be encountered are sorted out. Check the website for further details!!

*UPDATE July 26th*: Minor Updates to the site.. I'm still waiting for the cocking lug for my FSE folding cocking handle to show up. (It wasn't in the package that was sent to me). !!

*UPDATE August 11th*: Cocking lug arrived on Friday (9 August) and installed Saturday evening. Test fired today but have minor problems with H/T/S. Contacting manufacture for fix, so.. !! See pic in post dated August 11th!!

*UPDATE August 31st*: Camo'd stocks arrived today from Mad Dog 7.62. The rest of the pages documenting the build on my website, including the final assembly steps, will be forthcoming. Check out the pic in this thread dated the 31st of August. !!

*UPDATE September 1st*: Fired the "FAL Carbine" today. Check the reply dated today for a 100yd target pic. Suffice it to say I'm grinning from ear to ear!! I've been working on the rest of the pages documenting the build on my website, including the final assembly steps. They should go live in a day or two as time permits. !!

*UPDATE September 3rd*: At 12am this morning, the "Final Assembly" pages were posted to the website. Earlier in the evening, a restructuring of the menu to the left of the pages was accomplished to allow for easier navigation of important information. This also made the site navigation flow more fluidly. !!

*UPDATE September 20th*: At 12am this morning, the last page in the saga of the "Texas Jungle Carbine Project" has been uploaded. It's finally complete and documented. The last page deals with the September 11th range session and some final thoughts. !!

June 2017: Looks like Bob Zeller preserved most of the content here http://sites.google.com/site/bobzeller2/fnfal . I'll have to look for the original files.. think I've got them stored somewhere like I did the 2 demilled kits (G1 & Imbel) I rediscovered sorting though other "stuff" #winning will see what I can do to revive the links as I get settled back in

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; June 13, 2017 at 16:22. Reason: 2017
Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2002, 14:13   #2
Blag
Registered

FALaholic #: 1148
Re: Kinda OT: Building Documentation

This is GREAT!

Keep us posted.

Blag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2002, 14:45   #3
xtremerange
Curio & Relic

FALaholic #: 4305
Not OT at all. Looks great.
xtremerange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2002, 16:29   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
WECSOG origins

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2002, 18:03   #5
geerhed
Registered

FALaholic #: 3005
ROTFLMFAO!!!!

I DIDN'T THINK ANYONE ELSE WAS AS ANAL AS I AM!!! That's great stuff keep it up.
Old May 26, 2002, 22:12   #6
Bandit
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by gary.jeter
WECSOG origins
Thanks gary...

I changed the wording on the opening page to include a link to that post. I had a feeling it was you who made it famous but wasn't sure. I hope you don't mind me using the pic of yours with Wiley and RoadRunner. If you do mind, let me know.. Over the next month there will be some progress and initial entries to the first couple of pages, however the next BIG update will be sometime in late June. I'll be ordering a buttload of parts then and the project should really take off from there.. Who knows, when I win the Membership Drive drawing, I may have two or three FAL projects going simultaneously!!!

geerhed...
THANKS!! I think?

Rick
Old May 27, 2002, 04:37   #7
Mad Dog 7.62
Registered

FALaholic #: 4815
Hey that's cool!!! I was quite surprised to see my Izzy carbine!!! Good luck with the build, you are obviously in this as deep as the rest of us now!!
Old May 27, 2002, 11:03   #8
Bandit
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by Mad Dog 7.62
Hey that's cool!!! I was quite surprised to see my Izzy carbine!!! Good luck with the build, you are obviously in this as deep as the rest of us now!!
Yup, your Izzy fueled the fires and set this madness ablaze... Noting your website, I'll place a link to it on your screen name where it's mentioned on the site.. The build should be fun and my only hope is that it comes close to the original in quality.

Thanks,

Rick
Old May 28, 2002, 00:22   #9
Sumoj275
Registered

FALaholic #: 3417
That is really neat with the site and all. You are right, the sticker from the 70's was a sign that you will BUILD.

I love that cartoon where the coyote and road runner is on stage with the fal chart. Still laughing at that one.

Great job and keep us posted.
Sumoj275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2002, 00:44   #10
Bandit
Registered

Thanks, I added more content to the pages today (Bandit looks at the clock) err yesterday?? A mini-review (w/pics) of the Grade III parts kit from Dan's is in the "Kit Preperation" page now and a rather humerous (If I do say so myself) pic on the "Shopping List" page. I'm expecting the BBT to deliver a G1 hand pick kit from TAPCO sometime this week (maybe tomorrow). When it does show up, I'll be dis-assembling the front ends on both kits and prepare the barrels to be sent out to be cut, recrowned and threaded. The G1 will be cut to 18" and the Imbel to 16.25".

I can't take credit for the chart pic.. that is soley the handywork of gary jeter. I only changed it a tad bit before posting it on the site. I find it hilarious too...

Stay tuned FAL fans!!!

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; May 28, 2002 at 01:22.
Old June 02, 2002, 14:16   #11
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE - June 2nd*: Did quite a bit of work on the project the past couple of days, and updated the website to show the progress.. Check it out!!

Last edited by Bandit; August 24, 2002 at 15:43.
Old June 02, 2002, 14:41   #12
EMDII
Evil Moderator

Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6
Bandit-

with your permission, I'm going to:
- Move this to Gunsmithing/Build it Yourself
- Paste it to the top of the Forum.

Absolutely superb, great graphics, nice attitude, and you look well on the way to success!

LMK via e-mail, OK?

E.M. (Ted) Dannemiller II
1*
EMDII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 02, 2002, 19:21   #13
Bandit
Registered

Email sent... thanks for the compliments... I'm getting there...

Rick
Old June 03, 2002, 20:25   #14
law4fun

FALaholic #: 1544
I wish I had documented my first build with photos and sound of the neighborhood dogs barking hellishly that night when I test fired it......

GOOD JOB and good luck with the build.
Old June 05, 2002, 08:13   #15
Bandit
Registered

Lower receiver and assorted parts will receive the Duplicolor 1200º ceramic coating treatment this weekend. Preliminary results on one of the used mags I got from Dan's shows promise. After these parts are coated and documented on the website, the project will stagnate for a couple weeks as I go on a mini vacation. When I return, an upper receiver will be ordered and by July 1st, the rest of the parts/tools will either be on order or in hand.. So Stay tuned!!!

Thanks for the interest and the plethora of suggestions/supply sources I've received in email,

Rick
Old June 05, 2002, 14:33   #16
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:
Originally posted by Bandit

Thanks gary...I hope you don't mind me using the pic of yours with Wiley and RoadRunner....
Rick
I didn't do it!

Blackbird put that together with some images he, ummmm... "borrowed..." Yeah, that's it!....borrowed from someplace.

I might have popluarized the term "WECSOG." But, I've got no claim to the story or the pics.

Dremel on!

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 06, 2002, 09:53   #17
trooper397
Registered

FALaholic #: 3724
Great site Bandit! I am not brave enough to record and show the world any of my projects...esp. my jeep.
Would be rated 'R' for language and violence (blood) anyway.
trooper397 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2002, 15:46   #18
FALPhil
Registered

FALaholic #: 1227
Great site, except for the $%#@* popups. You may want to consider using the correct spelling for 'preparation' on the main menu. Just a thought.
FALPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 07, 2002, 19:03   #19
Bandit
Registered

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by FALPhil
Great site, except for the $%#@* popups. You may want to consider using the correct spelling for 'preparation' on the main menu. Just a thought.

Try a pop-up killer.. like Pop-Up Stopper etc etc.. Werks fer me. Thanks for the heads-up on preparation.. Notepad don't gotz no spwellcheker.

FIXED

Rick
Old June 07, 2002, 19:21   #20
Ripnrob
Registered

FALaholic #: 6107
Bandit Damn nice site....Keep up the good work...
Ripnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2002, 01:09   #21
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE June 7th*: Errr 8th?? More updates to the site. The "Bake-On Finish" page has content now. Also I have an alternate webserver hosting the site!! KP was gracious to offer me some webspace on his server to help beta test for bugs and such. Check it out at:

http://www.gunphotos.com/bandit/fal/wecsog.html

Thanks KP!!!

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; June 10, 2002 at 23:44.
Old June 08, 2002, 15:33   #22
FALPhil
Registered

FALaholic #: 1227
Keep it up!

Pretty soon the AR and AK boys are going to feel like they need to catch up.
FALPhil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 08, 2002, 19:33   #23
WaldorfJim
Registered

FALaholic #: 4654
Great idea, great job -- truly inspiring to those of us who are faint of heart about that first build!
Jim
WaldorfJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2002, 22:05   #24
buckaroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 4618
Bandit, those are some really nice websites! You worked hard on those I'll bet?
buckaroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2002, 23:32   #25
Bandit
Registered

Thanks for the compliments.. if ya wanna see ALL of the madness Bandit is brewin' check this link.

FalPhil: Note the AK and AR portions

Take Care,

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; August 24, 2002 at 15:45.
Old June 12, 2002, 10:26   #26
B3
Registered

FALaholic #: 4633
Good idea with a great amount of perfessional-izem.
For you next project -- maybe you could teach how to make a web page do all the things that you have deminstrated on yours.
I would love to know how to use the highlighted "send to" areas for onr thing. After your 9/11 project, consider the same in a computer how to.
Glad to have members like you on the FAL member list.
Will be looking for the finished product.
B3
B3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22, 2002, 06:29   #27
ricochet
Registered

FALaholic #: 1684
We love it!
This brings back memories of our first (FAL build), but most of us are nearly as patient. Thanks Bandit...
ricochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25, 2002, 13:18   #28
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE June 25th*: Some changes have been made to the project.. Oh, and the pages have been updated to reflect those changes too!!

Bandit's FAL Project!

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; August 24, 2002 at 15:46.
Old July 03, 2002, 06:09   #29
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE July 3rd*: Updated the "Shopping Lists" page. All parts/tools are on order now, so all that's left is for them to arrive so I can get cracking on finishing this project. Tentative final tally shows that I over spent on parts by $23.50 even though I got some good deals on US parts from the "Group Buy" from moses (Thanks moses!!), but saved on tools by $58.50. So, I actually came out (so far) $35 under budget!!! This helped buy the Para style rear sight w/knob from Dan at VOW, which is listed as an "Optional Part" on the shopping list.

Shipped off the barrel to PCS Inc. to have it chopped to 16.25", crowned and threaded for the US made muzzle brake I got with the Imbel kit. Only other change to the pages was a link to VOW added to my "FAL Links" page. Thanks Dan!!!

Stay Tuned!!!!

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; July 03, 2002 at 06:43.
Old July 10, 2002, 00:32   #30
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE July 9th*: Some of the parts/tools that were ordered on the 2nd/3rd of July have started trickling in . All of the tools are in now in my posession, and my FFL called me today to let me know my Imbel "Gear Logo" receiver is in. I'll pick it up tomorrow weather and work permitting.

Jim at PCS Inc. emailed me some progress pics on the cut, thread and crown job on the barrel. Pics and descriptions of the recently received tools/parts and a short synopsis of the barrel service (w/pics) can be seen on the website by going to the "Barrel & US Parts" link in the toolbar. Might need to hit "refresh/reload" if you visited there before, for the new link to show up.

Stay Tuned!!!!

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; July 10, 2002 at 22:47.
Old July 10, 2002, 22:45   #31
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE July 10th*: Picked up the Imbel "Gear Logo" upper receiver I ordered from The Dealer Warhouse today from my FFL. I posted pics on the "Barrel & US Parts" page. I'm jazzed!!

Stay Tuned!!!!

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; July 10, 2002 at 22:47.
Old July 12, 2002, 22:30   #32
Bandit
Registered

Yippeee!!!!!

*UPDATE July 12th*: Most of the remaining parts (Except for the "Para Type" rear sight) for the "Texas Jungle" Carbine came in today, including the barrel returning from PCS Inc. Check the "Barrel & US Parts" page for more details. I have enough parts on hand now to resume building. The website will be updated as the build progresses, so check the site often!!

Stay Tuned!!!!

Rick
Old July 13, 2002, 19:31   #33
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE July 13th*: Lower receiver is BUILT!! Check it out!!

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; August 24, 2002 at 15:40.
Old July 14, 2002, 20:00   #34
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE July 14th*: Worked on my upper receiver today and made progress. Check out the site to see the most up-to-date info.

Rick
Old July 17, 2002, 18:19   #35
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE July 17th*: Torqued/timed the barrel and checked headspace yesterday. Project is on temporary hold waiting for correct size locking shoulder from Jen.. The end of the tunnel is in sight.. Check out the website for "Up-To-Date info!!

Rick
Old July 19, 2002, 15:35   #36
RavenTai
Registered

FALaholic #: 6719
love the site wish I had seen the ejector fit testing before I put my barel on

keep up the good work
RavenTai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20, 2002, 18:04   #37
Bandit
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by RavenTai
love the site wish I had seen the ejector fit testing before I put my barel on
Bummer RavenTai... That's one little tidbit (amoung many) of info that I gleened from Gunplumber's excellent video. Tis why I highly recommend it!!

*UPDATE July 20th*: The FN/FAL "Texas Jungle" Carbine is now ready for test firing. There are a few "finishing" steps that will be accomplished after test firing and any bugs that may be encountered are sorted out. Check the website for further details!!

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; January 27, 2004 at 02:16.
Old July 26, 2002, 23:12   #38
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE July 26th*: Minor Updates to the site.. I'm still waiting for the cocking lug for my FSE folding cocking handle to show up. (It wasn't in the package that was sent to me). Check it out!!

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; August 24, 2002 at 15:41.
Old August 11, 2002, 18:14   #39
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE August 11th*: Cocking lug arrived on Friday (9 August) and installed Saturday evening. Test fired today but have minor problems with H/T/S. Contacting manufacture for fix, so.. Stay Tuned!!

First 4 shots on paper @ 50yds off hand/standing position (shots 6-9). 4th round called flier (double). Shots 1-5 were shot at bare ground while setting gas system.

Subsequent shots not photographed due to H/T/S problem. Rest assured the sights have been adjusted to point of aim.

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; December 05, 2002 at 23:45.
Old August 31, 2002, 14:26   #40
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE August 31st*: Camo'd stocks arrived today fromMad Dog 7.62. &nbsp The rest of the pages documenting the build on my website, including the final assembly steps, will be forthcoming. &nbsp Stay Tuned!!

Rick
Old September 01, 2002, 22:13   #41
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE September 1st*: Fired the "FAL Carbine" today. Suffice it to say I'm grinning from ear to ear!! Here's a pic why!!

Not to shabby for a 7.62mm rooky 'eh?

I've been working on the rest of the pages documenting the build on my website, including the final assembly steps. They should go live in a day or two as time permits. Stay Tuned!!

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; December 05, 2002 at 23:42.
Old September 03, 2002, 00:56   #42
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE September 3rd*: At 12am this morning, the "Final Assembly" pages were posted to the website. Earlier in the evening, a restructuring of the menu to the left of the pages was accomplished to allow for easier navigation of important information. This also made the site navigation flow more fluidly. Check it out!!!!

Donut,

Your email couldn't have come at a more ideal time... If I get no other comments like the ones I received in email from you, my hard work on the pages have been payed in full!! Soon after posting the "Final Assembly" pages I saw your email arrive. I'll respond to it soon, as I'm a bit tired at this hour and want to do the email reply justice.. but thanks man!! It's what I strived for. We'll be talking to you soon!

Thanks to the others who've replied to me via email. Any and and all comments, critiques and guidance is much appreciated. Stay tuned for the "Final Thoughts" and September 11th Ceremonial range session page.

Rick
Old September 16, 2002, 20:01   #43
Phite
Registered

FALaholic #: 4662
Thats an awesome job of documentation, I will be visiting your site often. Anyway, I did have a question for you or anyone here.

1) Where did you find the Duplicolor 1200 degrees paint?

2) I bought some Rustoleam High Heat 1200 degree paint, would that work? (looks to be made for grills, fireplaces, radaitors, etc..)

Thanks...
Phite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17, 2002, 15:36   #44
Bandit
Registered

Thanks for the compliments on the site. it's been a labor of love documenting my first "home gunsmithin" build. Look for the next project (AK-47) to take off soon!!

Rustoleum will work, I wasn't aware they made a 1200 degree paint though, but I know they offer a 500 degree paint. Some people use either or. If Rustoleum does offer 1200 degree version, I'd get it and try it out. I could get it from Wal-Mart and get 10% off (wife works there).

Duplicolor 1200 degree paint (with ceramic) can be found at O'Rielly's Auto Parts down here.. Try some of the auto parts stores in your area if you don't have an O'Reilly's nearbye.

HTH,

Rick
Old September 17, 2002, 17:49   #45
Ripnrob
Registered

FALaholic #: 6107
Bandit I have to say it again...Its a great web site and one hell of a job on that rifle...keep up the good work.......
Ripnrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19, 2002, 23:33   #46
Bandit
Registered

*UPDATE September 20th*: At 12am this morning, the last page in the saga of the "Texas Jungle Carbine Project" has been uploaded. It's finally complete and documented. The last page deals with the September 11th range session and some final thoughts. Check it out!!!!

Rick

Last edited by Bandit; December 05, 2002 at 23:39.
Old September 22, 2002, 11:36   #47
Silver Fox
Registered

FALaholic #: 7481
Awesome Site!!

Just wanted to let you new as one of the newest members, your site answered many of the future questions I may have asked. Your FAL documentation almost read like a good book...I couldn't put it down.

I have booked marked your site and plan on reading the other adventures of Bandit and his Guardian Angel, W.E.C.

Thanks

Silver Fox

When Russia practiced censorship, we called it "censorship". Here we call it political correctness.
Silver Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2002, 07:36   #48
Bandit
Registered

Re: Awesome Site!!

Quote:
Originally posted by Silver Fox
Just wanted to let you new as one of the newest members, your site answered many of the future questions I may have asked. Your FAL documentation almost read like a good book...I couldn't put it down.

I have booked marked your site and plan on reading the other adventures of Bandit and his Guardian Angel, W.E.C.

Thanks

Silver Fox

Thanks for the kind words.. That's what it's all about, inspiring others to give it a try. That in itself was the MAIN reason I documented my build. I had no idea how the build would turn out, but had confidence that if I did my homework and payed attention to detail, everything would fall into place. Hopefully that aspect of the build came out in the content.

Thanks again,

Rick
Old December 05, 2002, 22:52   #49
Trooper894
Registered

FALaholic #: 8062
Daggummit, this stuff is just like eattin' peanuts, I've gotten started and now I can't stop. My wife is threatening to pull the plug on the computer to cut me off. Noooooooooo!
Bandit, thanks for the great documentation. I've been looking around to BUY a carbine and couldn't find exactly what I wanted, short of having a custom build. After going through your thread, I now feel like I can do my own custom build and "have it my way". I actually wanted a carbine exactly like you built, so I'm probably going to be referring back to this thread often.
Trooper894 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2002, 23:38   #50
Bandit
Registered

Trooper,

Thanks for the compliments. It was a labor of love (the build and the documentation). After building my own, it's spoiled me on buying factory guns and leaving them alone. As you probly saw from the website, I have a lot of projects slated to do.

Thanks again for the compliments,

Rick