The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old February 15, 2016, 22:03   #1
packratt
Registered

FALaholic #: 7781
Barrel Vise

Anyone use this for removing Mauser and Remington Barrels.

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-to...prod58959.aspx

My 20 ton press to use with Vblocks is 6 hours away in storage.
packratt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016, 08:54   #2
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
I dont have any direct experience with that exact barrel vise, but I'd tend to be very weary of any made with aluminum as being way too flimsy.

Something like that may work for some of the bench rest change barrel shooters. I've seen them change barrels with a bumper mount clamp on vise an internal lug socket and a 3/8" ratchet. But that's not going to cut it on any factory assembled rifles I can think of.

I made my first 4 bolt down barrel vise with a top clamp 1 1/2" wide and 1" thick...It lasted for awhile, until I hit a tight one and ended up bending the top...My current one has a 2 1/2" wide 2" thick upper clamp...I plan on it lasting all my time and then some

Just my .02
Cheers, YV
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2016, 13:42   #3
ratas calientes
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1841
A friend of mine purchased a few surplus Mausers years ago and we used my barrel vise to remove the barrels from the actions. He did have his own action wrench for the Mausers. Fit was not perfect on the barrels but it was close.
Old February 16, 2016, 15:14   #4
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Ratas, I think your barrel vise will also work fine with a FN49. As soon as I am ready to try out I will know for sure
Old February 22, 2016, 05:32   #5
TOWS220
Registered

FALaholic #: 51208
I now use wood blocks in between two steel plates compressed by my 20 shop press. Works great for putting stuff back on, but I have generally been cutting relief cuts on the junk I am taking off.
Old November 16, 2017, 07:09   #6
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Ratas, I think your barrel vise will also work fine with a FN49. As soon as I am ready to try out I will know for sure
Updating this thread, the Ratas barrel vise works great on FN49 both installing and removing barrels.
Old November 16, 2017, 15:07   #7
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
I have been using Brownell's vise and no problems with anything. I did pick up the full set of steel inserts. A little resin and it will do wonders.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 18:41   #8
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

yovinny, Ratas vise supposedly is to be torqued down to 30ft-lb to tighten a FAL barrel. To remove one (we forgot to put the handguard collar thingie), we went to 50ft-lb and it still looks nice and straight.

TOWS220, since I have a 4" jaw clamp but nowhere to clamp it to, I stole your idea and used my 12T press. I did lay vise on the top of some wood and then pressed the ram to keep it in place. That was enough to tighten and loosen FN49 barrels... one I had to do both but the other I removed the barrel without a hitch.