Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old October 18, 2017, 19:29   #1
casktcrw
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 73087
CMP ARMORY TURNED FAL TO RUSTBUCKET

Sent STG-58 on imbel to CMP armory to try to diagnose short stroking. Gun came back with rust bloom in first two inches of the bore and flash hider; bore shows pitting after cleaning. Gas ring was seized with rust onto the gas block, which is rusty inside; had to soak with PB Blasted and beat on it before it would budge. Gas nut still won't budge - I ruined the gunthings.com wrench tool, even after plenty of PB Blaster.Gas plug lever mechanism was binding and completely rusted around the pin, of course I can't get the rust out of the inside. Handguards show several large blotches of pitting. All the brass shavings inside receiver and around chamber were green, as was the inside of the gas plug. Shame I didn't take photos, I launched immediately into a two hour cleaning frienzy.

The bore was gorgeous before he got his hands on it, a really really nice kit.

Wow. Just wow.

Last edited by casktcrw; October 18, 2017 at 20:35.
casktcrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017, 19:38   #2
Bwana John
Registered

FALaholic #: 3810
Is this Moses?
Old October 18, 2017, 20:34   #3
casktcrw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bwana John View Post
Is this Moses?
No he is long gone from CMP if I understand correctly. Would have sent it to him but have not been able to raise him for about a year.

It went to James Mayo.
Old October 18, 2017, 22:06   #4
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Quote:
Originally Posted by casktcrw View Post
Would have sent it to him but have not been able to raise him for about a year..
If you had, you still wouldn't have it back in your possession. The mag issue isn't the only thing he he was "slow" on delivering. AMHIK.

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 18, 2017, 23:02   #5
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Possible that some of the mail got routed through some of that big storm?

I don't know the business, but it seems unlikely that a guy with a gun biz that he wanted to succeed would do that.

I'm aware that there are weird people and stories out there. I have at least one.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2017, 00:28   #6
embatp
What? Me AR?
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39856
I know chip has been doing a lot of film/tv stuff.....I always thought him pretty honest....have you contacted him? Im sure hell do his best to make it right....
Old October 19, 2017, 05:47   #7
casktcrw
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by embatp View Post
I know chip has been doing a lot of film/tv stuff.....I always thought him pretty honest....have you contacted him? Im sure hell do his best to make it right....
Thing is it wasnt rusted on outside. He wrote back was no rust when i sent it. This shit was THICK it didn grow from saturday to wednesday. It rusted where oil cooked off and parts were left bone dry. He clearly didnt clean or oil it and left
It someplace humid. I believe that he believes that it went out clean but idk why he believes if it he didnt oil it.

Im over it, as long as i dont lose too much on pre-arranged sale. Getting out of the unwieldy beats with shitty sights.

Stay tuned for my stash of parts and mags.
Old October 24, 2017, 08:59   #8
hardass
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 21749
Sounds like someone shot a shitload of corrosive primed ammo thru it. I live in in S.E. Loosianna and the humidity is awful 300+days a year Either hot and humid or cold and humid.

I have shot many a hundred rds with out cleaning or wiping down for months, my FAL's and M1a type rifles and never a problem with rust. Only rifles, handguns with blued finishes have I found a need to clean, wipe dry and oil after shooting.

BUT....about 20 years ago I shot a couple of hundred rds of some corrosive primed surplus Syrian ammo that did exactly as you described to one of my FAL's
hardass is online now   Reply With Quote