Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old October 27, 2015, 16:26   #51
moses
One of the original 400
Contributor

FALaholic #: 392
Moses Mag polymer FAL mag 4.85 oz.

Which is about half the weight of a steel mag, so you would be saving around 4.8 oz. with mag inserted in FAL

Military rifle steel plate match schedule for 2016, April 9th, June 11th, Sept. 10th & Nov. 12th

Best Drop 8 time "8.47"
8 for 8
FAL/STG 7.62X51
moses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 27, 2015, 17:48   #52
moses
One of the original 400
Contributor

Soon as I get some "Me" time I am going to finish my "Lite weight FAL project"

I think a great way to get quite a bit of weight savings is to use a short gas system barrel, that way you have much more barrel surface that is skinny i.e. post gas block barrel surface, you can even turn down the dimension from the standard .590 to at least .560, or as small as the bipod groove or sling swivel groove is, if it wasn't safe I don't think FN would have turned that area down to that dimension, the whole "a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link" thing.

Also if you cut the barrel down to 14.5 and add a lite weight Hurricane flashider and permanently attach it you'll lose another 1 1/2 inches of barrel weight and still have the required 16" barrel length.

See if you can track down an old DSA Aluminum standard top cover, they're light as a feather!

Military rifle steel plate match schedule for 2016, April 9th, June 11th, Sept. 10th & Nov. 12th

Best Drop 8 time "8.47"
8 for 8
FAL/STG 7.62X51
Old November 15, 2015, 21:17   #53
bigstick61
Registered

FALaholic #: 45299
I'd be curious to see what the difference in weight is between a lower with lightening cuts and one without. I'm guessing somewhere between 2-3 oz. Also the difference between the stepped and non-stepped return spring tubes.

I think if you went with a 50.00 and went with all lightened parts, you'd save between 11 and 12 ounces compared to something like an IMBEL 50.00 with no lightened parts. That's before you even start looking at alloy parts.
bigstick61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 30, 2015, 20:27   #54
bigstick61
Registered

Hiduminium Rotating Rear Sling Swivel Base: 0.11 oz.
Old December 18, 2015, 00:37   #55
bigstick61
Registered

So I've been weighing my hiduminium magazines and I noticed a lot of variance in weight. Three of them weigh 3.74 oz. One weighs 4.06 oz. Two weigh 4.2 oz. One weighs 4.3 oz.

I also weighed to magazines that only had a hiduminium body (the floorplates and followers were steel). One weighed 4.73 oz. and the other 4.8 oz.

Not sure why there is so much variance.

My measure on steel magazines, for comparison, is 8.25 oz. (I weighed an Israeli mag).
Old February 05, 2016, 20:28   #56
moses
One of the original 400
Contributor

I have noticed that the magazine springs can vary quite a bit in weight.

Best Drop 8 time "8.47"
8 for 8
FAL/STG 7.62X51
Old April 25, 2016, 15:33   #57
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Well,

VLTOR CASV-FAL handguards with top rail only 7.9 ozs.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2017, 19:16   #58
bigstick61
Registered

I compared a Type 3 lower with one of the two sets of internal lightening cuts that can be found on some lowers (the horizontal cuts; some lowers additionally have a set of vertical cuts) with one that has no lightening cuts, both IMBEL.

The horizontal cuts by themselves take off 1.06 oz. (30g) of weight.

Eyeballing it, it looks like the other set of lightening cuts would remove somewhere between 2/3 and 3/4 of the material taken off by the horizontal cuts. A lower with both sets of lightening cuts of whatever type would likely weigh close to 2 oz. less than one with no cuts at all.
'
I also compared a steel return spring tube with the lightening cut (it's stepped down so that the middle section is narrower than the ends) with one without that cut, both IMBEL.

The difference amounts to 0.56 oz. (16g).

I also compared a sand-cut bolt and carrier to a set that was not sand cut. The cut on the bolt takes off a gram or two, so it doesn't amount to much; pretty much all of the weight comes from the internal and external cuts on the bolt carrier. This bolt carrier has the zig-zag style cuts (as opposed to the simpler Israeli style).

The difference amounted to 0.39 oz.
Old January 04, 2017, 20:02   #59
machinegunner
Apprentice
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 78657
Quote:
Originally Posted by shootist87122 View Post
300 lb. omg
machinegunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 04, 2017, 22:27   #60
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by machinegunner View Post
300 lb. omg
I wonder what ten years has done to that, LOL.

Anyhow, I also compared the standard rear sight base with a lightening cut (an FN cut for the z-spring, unlike the StG-58 type, which also has a LC) to the type without a lightening cut (IMBEL).

The difference is 0.18 oz. (5g).
Old March 21, 2017, 00:03   #61
bigstick61
Registered

Just weighed a Tapco alloy charging handle. Weighs 0.81 oz. (23g).
Old March 29, 2017, 18:52   #62
bigstick61
Registered

Of interest is what a G Series lightweight rifle weighs. According to SAFN49, his rifle weighs 8lbs and 7.84oz with a lightweight magazine installed.

Good potential weight-wise there, I think. Shorter barrel, synthetic instead of wood furniture, and a few other parts with minor weight changes plus a lightweight charging handle and no carry handle and I could see one getting under 8lbs.
Old March 30, 2017, 07:13   #63
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigstick61 View Post
Of interest is what a G Series lightweight rifle weighs. According to SAFN49, his rifle weighs 8lbs and 7.84oz with a lightweight magazine installed.

Good potential weight-wise there, I think. Shorter barrel, synthetic instead of wood furniture, and a few other parts with minor weight changes plus a lightweight charging handle and no carry handle and I could see one getting under 8lbs.
Ok, not sure what a "lightweight" charging handle is (because a factory one doesn't weigh sh*T!) but if you use something other then steel for a charging handle, and you were in combat, it could get you killed.
The charging handle is used to clear a stuck round in the chamber. Do a Google search on "pogo a FAL charging handle".
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017, 07:22   #64
idsubgun
"Comfortably Numb"
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 3100
By the way, you don't put your foot on the charging handle and jump up and down when you pogo a FAL.

You pull the charging handle to the rear while giving the buttstock a sharp rap downward on a solid surface.
idsubgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017, 02:20   #65
Nightrider_88
Registered

FALaholic #: 77436
By the way, How much does a Israeli heavy barrel weigh? Or any heavy FAL barrel.
Nightrider_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20, 2017, 14:21   #66
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightrider_88 View Post
By the way, How much does a Israeli heavy barrel weigh? Or any heavy FAL barrel.
I don't have one to weigh, but I'd imagine that it weighs far more than could ever be justified on a lightweight build, even with the barrel cut down.
Old July 01, 2017, 17:14   #67
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Has anyone used the Titanium muzzle device made by DSA? If one was to use an alloy lower and the titanium MD would it move the balance point one way or the other adversely?
Old July 02, 2017, 23:03   #68
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
Hahahaha, all you guys must have too much$$ and time.

Mr C has the lightest FAL I have seen, lighter than Brunops meeper762X25.
The lightest is under 7lbs with a full mag in it.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2017, 02:42   #69
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALL FAL View Post
Mr C has the lightest FAL I have seen, lighter than Brunops meeper762X25.
The lightest is under 7lbs with a full mag in it.
What are the specs on it?
Old July 07, 2017, 03:47   #70
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Ron View Post
Has anyone used the Titanium muzzle device made by DSA? If one was to use an alloy lower and the titanium MD would it move the balance point one way or the other adversely?
It would be an improvement, IMO, although I'm not sure how noticeable it would be. I wish they'd do an FNC-style version. If you're going for light while still maintaining function, you might as well go all the way. It'd take another ounce or so off.

I recall r1shooter mentioning a titanium gas block with substantial weight saving resulting therefrom, but it doesn't seem to have entered production for sales purposes. That's be nice as well, same as their titanium receiver, although it would make more sense, if you're going for light, to go with a Type 1 rather than a Type 2 (and I think the Type 1 looks better, anyways).

I think the charging handle slide and carry handle wire are prime candidates for titanium substitution as well, and also some of the pins. If DSA made that stuff, it would all get pretty expensive, though, but you could probably end up with something noticeably lighter than a SCAR, even with a scope mount.
Old July 07, 2017, 11:11   #71
Guy-epic
Registered

FALaholic #: 70221
This is much like we do at work on airplanes. Change a few hundred fasteners, save a few ounces. Heck in F1 they get excited to save a few grams when they modify a steering wheel
Old July 07, 2017, 12:26   #72
1911Ron
Registered

Quote:
It would be an improvement, IMO, although I'm not sure how noticeable it would be. I wish they'd do an FNC-style version. If you're going for light while still maintaining function, you might as well go all the way. It'd take another ounce or so off.

I recall r1shooter mentioning a titanium gas block with substantial weight saving resulting therefrom, but it doesn't seem to have entered production for sales purposes. That's be nice as well, same as their titanium receiver, although it would make more sense, if you're going for light, to go with a Type 1 rather than a Type 2 (and I think the Type 1 looks better, anyways).

I think the charging handle slide and carry handle wire are prime candidates for titanium substitution as well, and also some of the pins. If DSA made that stuff, it would all get pretty expensive, though, but you could probably end up with something noticeably lighter than a SCAR, even with a scope mount.
I remember the titanium receiver feelers being put out and there was interest and haven't heard anymore, a titanium gas block would be great.

Would a balanced rifle (front to back) feel lighter say rather a front heavy or rear heavy rifle but yet both are close to the same weight?
Old July 07, 2017, 16:45   #73
bigstick61
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911Ron View Post
I remember the titanium receiver feelers being put out and there was interest and haven't heard anymore, a titanium gas block would be great.

Would a balanced rifle (front to back) feel lighter say rather a front heavy or rear heavy rifle but yet both are close to the same weight?
It just feels better. I'm not quite sure to describe it. I guess it has a more natural feel as opposed to an awkward one caused by imbalance. A shorter barrel helps as well; I prefer 436mm, as it is the shortest that will allow retention of all functions plus reliable cycling and it helps to bring the balance more towards the rear a bit; going alloy with a longer barrel can make a rifle a bit front-heavy.
Old July 09, 2017, 13:39   #74
1911Ron
Registered

Quote:
It just feels better. I'm not quite sure to describe it. I guess it has a more natural feel as opposed to an awkward one caused by imbalance. A shorter barrel helps as well; I prefer 436mm, as it is the shortest that will allow retention of all functions plus reliable cycling and it helps to bring the balance more towards the rear a bit; going alloy with a longer barrel can make a rifle a bit front-heavy.
I agree a shorter barrel does wonders for balance, i had an M1A with a 21" barrel and put an 18" barrel on and it changed the balance a lot, i'm wondering tho does it make it "feel" lighter with a change of balance?
Old July 12, 2017, 12:36   #75
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
In the case of my latest build, an aluminum lower and a titanium muzzle device made a world of difference in the balance of the rifle. A titanium gas block would be awesome, but I'm not about to mess with something that works.
Old July 12, 2017, 13:16   #76
1911Ron
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
In the case of my latest build, an aluminum lower and a titanium muzzle device made a world of difference in the balance of the rifle. A titanium gas block would be awesome, but I'm not about to mess with something that works.
Good to know thanks!