Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Bolt Action Files

Notices

Old May 03, 2017, 04:40   #1
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
Gotta love the FNs

Spring precision season is here and in full swing.
The SPR is rapidly becoming my favorite shooter.
Amazing out to 300yds using 150 gr fb Bergers running at 2500fps. Photo has 125 gr tmks and they do pretty darn good too.

Semper Fi
Art
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2017, 18:02   #2
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Nice rifle! I been invited to do some 600yrd and 1000yrd shooting and am trying to get appropriate equipment, I am just not set up currently for that distance to my satisfaction. Of course dropping $9k on new windows for the house is not helping me much....
Old May 13, 2017, 10:26   #3
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

This morning out for a couple of tests.

Semper Fi
Art
Old May 13, 2017, 12:28   #4
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Nice looking rig...

When the take-down FN SPR actions were being sold at an extremely decent price, I didn't succeed in fighting off my OCD and I picked one up.

The story at the time was these actions came from rifles manufactured when the Winchester M70 production line was being shut down and that 'displaced workers' pissed down the barrels and ruined them, necessitating replacement of the barrels (whether that's true or not is somewhat irrelevant to my story here, but the FN marked actions were from dismantled new rifles and did sell pretty cheap).

After truing up the receiver front and lapping the lugs, I mounted a Krieger 26inch heavy profile CM barrel (not quite the AMU, but not too much slimmer. I'd have to look up the exact profile to be sure). I then added a minimum Palma chamber. The rifle retains it's original hinged steel floorplate which I prefer to a detachable mag for the purpose for which I built the rifle.

I then, after tossing the 20 minute rail (which I didn't need for my purpose), used a Leupold front base and a Burris rear base (to get the height I wanted) and, using Leupold standard front dovetail rings, mounted a Nikon Buckmasters (not current series) 4-14x40mm SF MD scope (which has a 1" tube).

Then, after this money spent, I put it all in a cheap Hogue rubbery stock designed for the HB M70 (of course, it isn't open quite enough for the heavier Krieger barrel, but tightening this barrel down into the stock presents no problems (yeah, I know, the free float barrel people are probably foaming at the mouth over this heresy, but whatever. And I'm not speaking against free floated barrels, since I 'normally' do that too)).

I designed this rifle mostly for 100-300 yard use, and it's quite the shooter of M80 ball type ammo at those distances...

I use the Berger BT - Fullbore .30 CAL 155.5 Match bullet in Lapua cases for max work (and, of course, the old IMR8208 and Win LR primers were the 'desired' components to go along with the rest. I do usually use the Win LR primer, but use whatever ball powder I feel like picking at the time to get my desired velocity).

The rig shoots military ball ammo well enough that I rarely go the Berger route. I have shot more of the 75-77 dated CBC 7.62x51mm NATO ball than anything else (you know, the stuff that blows up rifles). The brass they used was very good (although Berdan), the bullets excellent for military ball, and the powder charges extremely consistent for military ammo (better than LC, for sure). I just pull the bullets (which had very poor crimps, perhaps part of the problem with the ammo), dump the powder, average the load with the original powder, then recharge with the powder and crimp with a Lee FCD. This all only with ammo from the same case with the same lot, of course (in reference to averaging the powder charge (which always looked the same and varied little to begin with). This ammo shoots very well in this rifle (and, for that matter, in an Imbel FAL that I've shot a lot of it through).

Well, enough blathering...

That's my story and I'm sticking to it (at least until I can't remember it anyway)...

Have great fun with your FN SPR...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 12:37   #5
moonbat60
Registered

FALaholic #: 17000
Art,
what year is your SPR ?
moonbat60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2017, 15:19   #6
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonbat60 View Post
Art,
what year is your SPR ?
Good question. I would have to dig into paperwork, but I know it was the first year they were available in my area.
Old May 13, 2017, 19:23   #7
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
I have the winny FN with the 26" hb and mag feed.
Remember I put glass on it and picked up 2 extra mags,,but I havent even shot it yet...:

Whats the extended mag Art ?|

Last edited by yovinny; May 13, 2017 at 19:28.
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 14, 2017, 04:36   #8
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
I have the winny FN with the 26" hb and mag feed.
Remember I put glass on it and picked up 2 extra mags,,but I havent even shot it yet...:

Whats the extended mag Art ?|
Mag is FN TBM. I bought the kit and did the 30 second install.
At the same time I picked up a few spare 10 rnd mags.
Love the addition.

Art
Old May 14, 2017, 08:04   #9
moonbat60
Registered

I've got a 2000 model Winchester M 70 Stealth with a 26" bull barrel. Great shooting gun, and it seems to live on in the FN's you guys got.

My pet load in .308 is a 175gr. Berger OTM #30105 over 42.0gr. H4895 and CCI LR primer. It also works fine with the Sierra 175gr. MK.
Old May 14, 2017, 09:46   #10
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Just finished 15 rnd test at 100yds.
8 X 11 hostage target.
Cold clean bore.
5 hits on each bad guy.
SD of 12.3 with DAG casings and 150 gr Berger FB. Adverage speed 2418.
FN SPR as posted earlier.

Semper Fi
Art
Old May 14, 2017, 13:44   #11
moonbat60
Registered

Nice ! You killed them all....

Mind sharing some load data ? If you don't want to do it on here, please send me a pm.
Old May 14, 2017, 13:46   #12
moonbat60
Registered

I wonder if that extended mag kit would fit on my Winnie....
Old May 14, 2017, 14:38   #13
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Nice ! You killed them all....

Mind sharing some load data ? If you don't want to do it on here, please send me a pm.

DAG berdan brass neck turned to .012, Tula berdan primers, 40.5 gr of 4064 under a Berger 150gr FB running at 2418 fps.
Brass is fire formed to my chamber and neck sized .001 under loaded dimension.
ogive is .004 off lands. SD of 12.3 fps.

Semper Fi
Art
Old May 14, 2017, 22:32   #14
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I have an FN PBR with the 18" barrel. bought as a CDNN special on the FN barreled action purchased in the move from Winnie Northeast to FN SC. Holds less than MOA at 300 all day long with mil-surp. Really likes 168's. Going to wring it out next weekend - 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards - weather permitting. Got a Leupold LRT 3-10 mounted on it. Started off with the rubberized Hogue stock but was too flexible. Now wearing an HS Precision. Very stable and comfortable to shoulder.

Lt. Col. Grant L. Rosensteel, Jr. USAF

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017, 05:07   #15
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
I have an FN PBR with the 18" barrel. bought as a CDNN special on the FN barreled action purchased in the move from Winnie Northeast to FN SC. Holds less than MOA at 300 all day long with mil-surp. Really likes 168's. Going to wring it out next weekend - 100, 200, 300, 400, 500, and 600 yards - weather permitting. Got a Leupold LRT 3-10 mounted on it. Started off with the rubberized Hogue stock but was too flexible. Now wearing an HS Precision. Very stable and comfortable to shoulder.
A friend has the PBR and loves it.
I really like the McMillan stock mine came with. The 1/12 chrome lined barrel has amazed me from the get go.
My built up Rem 700 with 26" barrel is a good shooter, but the FNs capability to shoot first round accuracy with a clean cold bore surpasses the Rem.
Very interested in your results next weekend.
Art
Old May 15, 2017, 07:05   #16
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
So, how is the LabRadar working so far?

I'll be testing one this week for the first time and I know you just got yours.

Thanks.
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15, 2017, 09:58   #17
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
So, how is the LabRadar working so far?

I'll be testing one this week for the first time and I know you just got yours.

Thanks.
Could not be better as far as I am concerned. It has been meeting all my expectations and then some. I hope to get it hooked up to my computer for use of Excel soon.

Art
Old May 15, 2017, 10:24   #18
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
Could not be better as far as I am concerned. It has been meeting all my expectations and then some. I hope to get it hooked up to my computer for use of Excel soon.

Art
Great!
I'm pulling together components to create my own benchtop base for it and looking forward to our first range trip this week.
Very excited to add this tool to my handloading adventures.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:52   #19
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
Just finished 15 rnd test at 100yds.
8 X 11 hostage target.
Cold clean bore.
5 hits on each bad guy.
SD of 12.3 with DAG casings and 150 gr Berger FB. Adverage speed 2418.
FN SPR as posted earlier.

Semper Fi
Art
You missed the hostage, who is obviously colluding with her captors.

Nice rifle.
Old May 15, 2017, 12:11   #20
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lew View Post
You missed the hostage, who is obviously colluding with her captors.

Nice rifle.
Yeahbut, he did manage to muss her hair!
Old May 15, 2017, 12:50   #21
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

All in a days play.
I am looking forward to better weather in the next day or two.
Just put the SD card in the chrono and it works very nice with Excel.

Art
Old May 19, 2017, 17:15   #22
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Worked out the PBR today. After checking zero with my preferred load - Hornady TAP 168BT, decided to run some of my generic "match" ammo fro Georgia Arms. It works great through my semi's and mil surp bolt guns.

Guess the PBR likes it too. First group out of the box. 4 shot group size was 0.55 inches high by 0.3 inches wide at 100 yds. Still working on the rear bag technique. Posted data says loaded to 2600fps, but I think a tad hotter due to the placement on the target. Mag only holds 4.

[IMG][/IMG]

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
Old May 19, 2017, 17:19   #23
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Worked out the PBR today. After checking zero with my preferred load - Hornady TAP 168BT, decided to run some of my generic "match" ammo fro Georgia Arms. It works great through my semi's and mil surp bolt guns.

Guess the PBR likes it too. First group out of the box. 4 shot group size was 0.55 inches high by 0.3 inches wide at 100 yds. Still working on the rear bag technique. Posted data says loaded to 2600fps, but I think a tad hotter due to the placement on the target. Mag only holds 4.

[IMG][/IMG]
Awesome. Was that off a bench or prone?
Old May 19, 2017, 19:17   #24
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Sandbagged off the bench. Waiting for my new bags from Weibad to come in so I can work on my prone shooting. Right now, just can't get locked in to a repeatable position. Many years of fine dining and wife's cooking, you know.

Old May 20, 2017, 05:22   #25
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

I hear you on the fine dining.
Most of my shooting is prone supported bipod.
For the hostage challenges we have to get up and move at least a foot between shots and single load. Still done at 100yds. For an old fat guy, it presents a real workout. I am finding it easier this year than the last 10. Maybe I am getting numb. I know my wife has told me I was " numb between the ears " for a long time.

Semper Fi
Art
Old May 20, 2017, 15:26   #26
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

Quote:
For the hostage challenges we have to get up and move at least a foot between shots and single load.
Fat man's workaround: Roll to the right, shoot, roll to the left, shoot, repeat as needed. This only works if the rules say you need to MOVE and not stand up.

No bipod on this rifle, yet. Still trying to figure out what kind and what size to get.

Old May 20, 2017, 15:50   #27
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Fat man's workaround: Roll to the right, shoot, roll to the left, shoot, repeat as needed. This only works if the rules say you need to MOVE and not stand up.

No bipod on this rifle, yet. Still trying to figure out what kind and what size to get.
Fat man's rules always apply while I am around.
Standing up between shots is hard enough today.
Used to do 5 pull ups between shots. Then there was one we ran between stages. Forget that stuff. Now I have a hard time getting my fat butt off the ground once. Don't worry about heart rate today, as long as it is still doing the chitty chitty bang bang, I am a happy camper.
Old June 04, 2017, 12:54   #28
moonbat60
Registered

As I need to do more testing of my reloads, I placed an order for a chronograph.

Nothing as luxurious as your labradar. Magnetospeed has got to do.
Old June 11, 2017, 08:30   #29
moonbat60
Registered

Got my magnetospeed sporter. In a few days the testing will begin.

I've got some .308 test loads worked up with 175gr. Sierra MK and some 168's with Hornady A-Max.
Old June 11, 2017, 08:54   #30
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Got my magnetospeed sporter. In a few days the testing will begin.

I've got some .308 test loads worked up with 175gr. Sierra MK and some 168's with Hornady A-Max.
Is that the one that attaches to the barrel?
Old June 11, 2017, 13:08   #31
moonbat60
Registered

Yep. It is secured to the barrel by a strap and a screw. Mounted the thing almost looks like a bayonet.