Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old June 13, 2018, 08:08   #1
FAL87
Registered

FALaholic #: 46079
Value of Rhodesian Browning A5?

What is the value of a Rhodie A5?

"several thousand dollars" according to this ad?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/774828211
FAL87 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018, 08:12   #2
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I think they go at around $2K

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018, 08:30   #3
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

FALaholic #: 71
$2k+ is about right. Still kicking myself for letting the last pair from Navy Arms slip by several years ago for $1400 iirc. They were on GB and just couldn't swing it at the time.

Seller is a standup guy and a member here.

RUE?
kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2018, 09:22   #4
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by kev View Post
$2k+ is about right. Still kicking myself for letting the last pair from Navy Arms slip by several years ago for $1400 iirc. They were on GB and just couldn't swing it at the time.

Seller is a standup guy and a member here.
Member SAFN49 sold an original one on Gonebroker a year or so ago. IIRC it went for about $2,500.

+1 on Jollyroger14. Standup guy and his item description is spot-on accurate.
Old June 13, 2018, 10:38   #5
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
Now that is cool .. Might have to go for that ..Even thoguh I dont have a auto 5 to mount it on lol ..From what I remember the auto were big in the jungle wars in that part of the world the Brits and other used them ..Good for moving jungle out of the way so to speak

Now just to find the shorts shorts to go with this
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 05:47   #6
crashmaniac
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 78557
I have my great grandfathers 1930s ,not sure which year, A5 he bought to go on safari and never went.Been passed down on 18th birthdays 3 times, “special steel barrel” is sawed off at 18 1/4” due to a faulty choke causing a blister at 20” years ago, Maybe I will find a kit similar to this for mine.

"And what country can preserve its liberties if their rulers are not warned from time to time that their people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. The remedy is to set them right as to facts, pardon and pacify them. What signify a few lives lost in a century or two? The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. ".
--Good OL' TJ
crashmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 11:33   #7
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by pre1989 View Post
Now that is cool .. Might have to go for that ..Even thoguh I dont have a auto 5 to mount it on lol ..From what I remember the auto were big in the jungle wars in that part of the world the Brits and other used them ..Good for moving jungle out of the way so to speak

Now just to find the shorts shorts to go with this
Yep. The Brits used them in Malaya and, later, Borneo.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 12:29   #8
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Have one of the kits linked in ad, last I understood there were only two available for sale in U.S. unless someone who has purchased in past offers one up. Was also told were not planning to bring anymore kits over the pond anytime soon if at all. They were available in marketplace here at one time. Have purchased three Browning A5's (already owned three so now have six) trying to find proper host for kit but all were nicer than advertisements stated and waiting to find an FN without engraving to use as host. Do own a 16 gauge FN without engraving now so guess am a sideways collector of old FN shotguns at this point.

If find a really ugly A5 that functions and is inexpensive my plan was to lead fill the engraving then refinish after block sanding. That way get the correct look as police models/Rhodesian's did not have engraving. When past three hosts came in so nice even though there are millions of them and not rare could not bring myself to ruining a nice original Browning shotgun. Eventually the right host will find me.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 14:53   #9
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

Slather on enough baby poo and the engraving goes away,......but the finish is protected underneath.

RUE?
Old June 14, 2018, 15:01   #10
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
When past three hosts came in so nice even though there are millions of them and not rare could not bring myself to ruining a nice original Browning shotgun.
I know the feeling. Found a cheap one on an auction site and guess what? Yep, real nice, except for the rear stock was broken. Instead of making it a donor, I bought a nice used matching stock set.
Old June 14, 2018, 15:36   #11
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
My A5 was handed down from my dad. He got it around '52. It's my only real FN. Wish I could shoot it more. It's in great shape. I'm surprised that they're not really very valuable.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 18:22   #12
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
I know the feeling. Found a cheap one on an auction site and guess what? Yep, real nice, except for the rear stock was broken. Instead of making it a donor, I bought a nice used matching stock set.
Totally understand, while not valuable having so much trouble finding an FN donor may not be able to chop it for a clone of a Rhodesian shotgun when I do. Will probably stick it in the pile and keep looking for another then chop worse of the two for the clone or eventually find an A5 bad enough to justify filling the engraving. Funny am worried about collector value of $500 scatter guns that are common as dirt but some day a decent Belgian A5 with no repairs to wood or major rust might not be just another $500 shotgun. Very interested to see how kit sells knowing it's one of the last if not the last not in hands of a hoarder.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 14, 2018, 18:46   #13
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Totally understand, while not valuable having so much trouble finding an FN donor may not be able to chop it for a clone of a Rhodesian shotgun when I do.
Can fake it with a SAVAGE 720.
Old June 16, 2018, 12:11   #14
lockjaw
Not a gimp RR 11B40 B4
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64904
Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
Can fake it with a SAVAGE 720.
... or Remington Model 11. I have a WWII aerial trainer, interesting and fun gun.
Old June 16, 2018, 12:27   #15
marcosfal
Registered

FALaholic #: 72291
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
My A5 was handed down from my dad. He got it around '52. It's my only real FN. Wish I could shoot it more. It's in great shape. I'm surprised that they're not really very valuable.
I hope they continue to stay undervalued. They are great shotguns that are very durable and require minimal maintenance. Every one I've picked up had either the friction rings set up wrong, missing or too much oil on the magazine causing it to "kick too much" for the previous owners. The only thing I've found with them are the chokes are very tight. I've seen them run with tons of debris in the action. Most have never been disassembled because of the thin screw heads. The Miroku Brownings are really great guns as well.
marcosfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2018, 12:34   #16
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosfal View Post
thing I've found with them are the chokes are very tight.
Yup! I have one built in 1935 IIRC that I use for spot shoots.

It puts a LOT of pellets onto the paper
Old June 16, 2018, 20:38   #17
kev
Old Fart
Contributor

I buy them with the intent to slather them with paint and turn the into Rhodie Riots with the regular 5-shot forearm. I think the original 9-shot guns are neat, but only if they're 'original 9-shot' guns. A clone is fine, but worth no more to me than a painted 5-shooter so why spend the time, money and effort to convert?

I've found several cheap guns in fantastic shape, but cheap because someone stuck a variable choke on the muzzle. Don't make no difference to me if I'm going to hack back to 18-21" anyway, but like Huey,.......they're just too nice to hack up. Any time I find one decrepit enough to chew up they want more for it than I paid for the 'nice' ones I already have.

RUE?
Old June 27, 2018, 11:09   #18
eternal24k
Registered

FALaholic #: 26370
i need someone to make conversion kits, I have rhodie paint and a lack of shotguns in my safe. I sadly spent my month of june in the field and missing out on the auctions
eternal24k is online now   Reply With Quote