The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old March 07, 2018, 23:46   #1
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 536
Anyone know where I can get a Galil receiver??

I'm looking for a 5.56 Galil receiver. CNC Warrior is out of stock, maybe I'll call them tomorrow & see if they will be making another run. But in the meantime... Anyone know of a source?

Thanks, Mick.
Near Sighted Sniper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2018, 00:42   #2
totenkopf
Registered

FALaholic #: 28935
Tortort, maybe? Don't have any personal experience, but I have heard they are good.
totenkopf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 08, 2018, 15:54   #3
mullicrk
Registered

FALaholic #: 75665
I have some, we have dealt before ....sent you a PM
mullicrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2018, 00:52   #4
Kingtubby
Registered

FALaholic #: 67046
Any chance youll help me out mullicrk?
Kingtubby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2018, 08:32   #5
Bones2586
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76766
May want to send Jeff Miller an email, can find his contact on the Hillbilly Firearms webpage.

Sent him a build using a CNC Warrior receiver last summer (should be arriving home soon), and we discussed using the 80% TorTort Galil receiver. I do believe he can complete them now, recommend asking as it's been a good while since we talked about it.

Hope this helps, cheers -
Bones2586 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2018, 15:17   #6
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones2586 View Post
May want to send Jeff Miller an email, can find his contact on the Hillbilly Firearms webpage.

Sent him a build using a CNC Warrior receiver last summer (should be arriving home soon), and we discussed using the 80% TorTort Galil receiver. I do believe he can complete them now, recommend asking as it's been a good while since we talked about it.

Hope this helps, cheers -
I spoke with him twice yesterday & once via e-mail today. He can finish the 80% receivers now, but I didn't want to go that route. He will build on the AWO receivers, they just may require a little extra machine work.
Old March 11, 2018, 11:57   #7
Bones2586
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near Sighted Sniper View Post
I spoke with him twice yesterday & once via e-mail today. He can finish the 80% receivers now, but I didn't want to go that route. He will build on the AWO receivers, they just may require a little extra machine work.
Have read mixed reviews on the AWO receivers, lots of "thumbs down" comments. Consensus is added machining to get it right. Glad you were able to discuss with Jeff! He won't steer you Wrong! Cheers
Old March 11, 2018, 12:26   #8
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Are 7.62 Galil receivers available ? I've had an almost complete kit stashed for years, guess maybe I ought to build it - like I need another Galil in the safe

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 11, 2018, 20:45   #9
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Are 7.62 Galil receivers available ? I've had an almost complete kit stashed for years, guess maybe I ought to build it - like I need another Galil in the safe
Im 99% sure he said Tortorte will be making a .308 GALIL receiver this year
Old March 11, 2018, 20:48   #10
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Near Sighted Sniper View Post
Im 99% sure he said Tortorte will be making a .308 GALIL receiver this year

I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.

The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it. Robert E. Lee
Old March 17, 2018, 09:10   #11
Bones2586
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
I second this!
Old March 23, 2018, 16:07   #12
fanofthefal
Registered

FALaholic #: 79919
I've been looking into Galil parts kits myself, anybody hear anything good, bad or indifferent about Lewis and Black receivers?

https://lewisandblack.com/u-s-manufa...lil-receivers/
fanofthefal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 04, 2018, 09:46   #13
Zeusizme
Registered

FALaholic #: 64239
The AWO receivers can be made to work but the build will cost you some extra because of the extra machine work needed to make them work.
Old April 04, 2018, 15:14   #14
lakipolitis
Registered

FALaholic #: 80894
Quote:
Originally Posted by fanofthefal View Post
I've been looking into Galil parts kits myself, anybody hear anything good, bad or indifferent about Lewis and Black receivers?

https://lewisandblack.com/u-s-manufa...lil-receivers/
I've been seeing a lot of these Galil parts kits as well. I'm super tempted to get into a build. I shot a buddy's one and man are they fun.

BUT HOLY COW that receiver's expensive. Is that par for the course for Galil recievers?
Old April 04, 2018, 16:05   #15
wanneroo
Registered

FALaholic #: 74891
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakipolitis View Post
I've been seeing a lot of these Galil parts kits as well. I'm super tempted to get into a build. I shot a buddy's one and man are they fun.

BUT HOLY COW that receiver's expensive. Is that par for the course for Galil recievers?
I seem to recall the CNC Warrior ones being around $650 or so?

I am thinking about one of the parts kits from Apex. $850 for the receiver doesn't bother me if it actually works.
wanneroo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 04, 2018, 16:15   #16
fanofthefal
Registered

Quote:

I was over on the AWO website, it doesn't look like they have any prices posted for their Galil receivers that I can find. Lewis & Black, who I haven't been able to find anything on charges $840.00 and are backed ordered through the end of the year. Tortort, another receiver manufacture who I've heard virtually nothing about, charges $499.00 for their 100% receivers and $350.00 for their 80%. CNC Warrior looks like they charged $600.00 for their last run of receivers. I assume if they do another batch they'll charge a similar price?

From what I can gather about CNC from trolling the insterwebs that while their product might be a bit unfinished and ruff looking the dimensions are apparently correct and I assume their heat treatment is up to snuff.

At any rate I went ahead and pulled the trigger, no pun intended, on buying a galil parts kit off apex arms, it's supposed to arrive this Friday.

Anybody have any advise on who to go with when purchasing a FCG?
Old April 05, 2018, 10:40   #17
lakipolitis
Registered

Quote:
I was over on the AWO website, it doesn't look like they have any prices posted for their Galil receivers that I can find. Lewis & Black, who I haven't been able to find anything on charges $840.00 and are backed ordered through the end of the year. Tortort, another receiver manufacture who I've heard virtually nothing about, charges $499.00 for their 100% receivers and $350.00 for their 80%. CNC Warrior looks like they charged $600.00 for their last run of receivers. I assume if they do another batch they'll charge a similar price?

From what I can gather about CNC from trolling the insterwebs that while their product might be a bit unfinished and ruff looking the dimensions are apparently correct and I assume their heat treatment is up to snuff.

At any rate I went ahead and pulled the trigger, no pun intended, on buying a galil parts kit off apex arms, it's supposed to arrive this Friday.

That's a little steep, but I guess you get what you pay for right? The parts kits are extremely tempting. I may have to pull the trigger on one and just see what happens as far as finding a receiver. Post pics when yours arrives??

I'm not familiar with that acronym, what's an FCG?
Old April 05, 2018, 16:42   #18
fanofthefal
Registered

Quote:
That's a little steep, but I guess you get what you pay for right? The parts kits are extremely tempting. I may have to pull the trigger on one and just see what happens as far as finding a receiver. Post pics when yours arrives??

I'm not familiar with that acronym, what's an FCG?
$840.00 sounds a bit steep to me, especially for an outfit that doesn't sound like it's a known quantity. If CNC is as good as advertised $600.00 for a milled receiver sounds fairly reasonable as far as semi auto rifle receivers go.

I'll try to post pics if I can figure it out. In the meantime Apex has a YouTube video of their galil parts kit that you might find useful.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1eOR4BZtrps

FCG I believe stands for fire control group, i.e. trigger, hammer, disconnector.
Old April 05, 2018, 21:14   #19
lakipolitis
Registered

Quote:
I'll try to post pics if I can figure it out. In the meantime Apex has a YouTube video of their galil parts kit that you might find useful.

FCG I believe stands for fire control group, i.e. trigger, hammer, disconnector.
$600 sounds alot more reasonable.
And that video didn't make me want one less... Haha.
Thanks for clearing that up.
Old April 06, 2018, 22:56   #20
Near Sighted Sniper
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

I bought my kit from Apex & it really looks excellent. They offered a US made FCG with the kit @ a discounted price so I bought that as well. A member here offered me an AWO receiver for a good price & after I spoke with Jeff I bought it, just wanted to check with him to see if they were good to go
Now I just gotta get a US made Pgrip & then I can send everything off to the Hill Billy!!!
I can't wait to get this built, I'm gonna have the Hebrew markings engraved on the receiver. Hopefully mine looks as nice as Rbgonoles Galil, his is one SWEET rifle.
Old April 07, 2018, 08:06   #21
fly2.0
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 79608
Quote:
Originally Posted by mullicrk View Post
I have some, we have dealt before ....sent you a PM
My old buddy always has receiver's ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

He posts a lot of pic's on the akfiles Galil picture sticky ;

Building Galil's run's in his family .

CK out post #329

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...243690&page=10

********** The Ignore List Works Great **********

Last edited by fly2.0; April 17, 2018 at 07:13.
fly2.0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 09, 2018, 09:50   #22
fanofthefal
Registered

My Galil kit from Apex got in Friday and while I'm no expert on these things I think it looks great. No corrosion that I can find, even the wood handguard looks terrific. If you're looking at getting one I'd go ahead and do it.
Old April 11, 2018, 19:33   #23
Zeusizme
Registered

FCG/HTS for the Galil; you can use tapco G2 FCG if you use a Standard AK hammer spring or you can modify the tapco trigger for the Galil trigger spring. . Ronin makes a US made pistol grip. Apex sells a wire retainer for the hammer and trigger pins.
Old April 13, 2018, 10:22   #24
fanofthefal
Registered

Sorry if I've totally hijacked this thread but does anybody have any up to date contact info for Jeff Miller of Hillbilly Firearms?

I tried emailing him a week or so ago based off the info from what I assumed was his web page, but I've yet to hear anything back.

This is what I went off of.
http://www.hillbillyfirearms.com/
Old April 13, 2018, 12:11   #25
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeusizme View Post
FCG/HTS for the Galil; you can use tapco G2 FCG if you use a Standard AK hammer spring or you can modify the tapco trigger for the Galil trigger spring. . Ronin makes a US made pistol grip. Apex sells a wire retainer for the hammer and trigger pins.
G2 double hook or single for a Galil build ?

Old April 13, 2018, 19:52   #26
Zeusizme
Registered

Quote:
G2 double hook or single for a Galil build ?
Double hook, galils are double hook and if you want to use the original Galil trigger spring youll need the double hook trigger anyway. You can use a single hook if you use an AK hammer spring instead of the Galil hammer spring and trigger spring.
Old April 13, 2018, 20:15   #27
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

Gotcha, thx ! I've owned a couple of Galils, liked them a whole lot but never got into them like I dad FALs. Time to start edumacating myself if I'm going to built that kit that is squirreled away !

Old April 21, 2018, 00:27   #28
gunner45
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63916
Hill Billy Firearms

Here is Jeff's email, He is always busy but he will call you.. If you get a unknown caller from Tennessee answer..

jeff@hillbillyfirearms.com
gunner45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 21, 2018, 16:56   #29
BM59
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 77492
I just got two builds from Jeffs a couple of weeks ago, which he did by completing 80% Tortort receivers I bought last year when they were $289 a piece (IIRC I placed the first order). Awesome quality as you may expect from Jeff and receivers are as good as my other ARM on CNC warrior.
Old May 05, 2018, 11:58   #30
mikwat
Registered

FALaholic #: 80883
Quote:
My Galil kit from Apex got in Friday and while I'm no expert on these things I think it looks great. No corrosion that I can find, even the wood handguard looks terrific. If you're looking at getting one I'd go ahead and do it.
I picked up one of these too! It's beautiful. Looks like everything was either refinished or never issued. The barrel is going to be a bit more work than I was expecting, but oh well. I don't want to thread jack, but what the 922r parts included were (for the extra $15)? I've got nothing obvious in there.

Last edited by mikwat; May 05, 2018 at 12:22.
mikwat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018, 08:17   #31
Lewis and Black
Registered
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 79887
Quote:
Sorry if I've totally hijacked this thread but does anybody have any up to date contact info for Jeff Miller of Hillbilly Firearms?

I tried emailing him a week or so ago based off the info from what I assumed was his web page, but I've yet to hear anything back.

This is what I went off of.
http://www.hillbillyfirearms.com/
His phone number on the home page is good. Leave him a message and he'll call you back. He lives in one of he most beautiful places on earth and time almost stands still there, so he may be taking a bit of time to return your call, but its worth it.
Rodney Tucker
rodney@lewisandblack.com
https://lewisandblack.com
Lewis and Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 13, 2018, 08:19   #32
Lewis and Black
Registered
Gold Contributor

Quote:
$840.00 sounds a bit steep to me, especially for an outfit that doesn't sound like it's a known quantity. If CNC is as good as advertised $600.00 for a milled receiver sounds fairly reasonable as far as semi auto rifle receivers go.

These receivers are Jeff's design, machined at Tortort, under Jeff's direction. So the "known quantity" (sic: quality), is Jeff through and through.
rodney@lewisandblack.com
Old May 13, 2018, 11:44   #33
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Unless they have made some fundamental changes, the Assault Weapons of Ohio is just the new owners of the now dead Todd Grove's Ohio Rapid Fire garbage.

Dangerously defective. Locking lugs are not heat treated correctly, nor machined correctly. How anyone "fixes" this, I don't know. But I won't accept them for builds. The CNC Warrior has been fine, both in their galil and their milled AK.
Old May 16, 2018, 11:16   #34
fanofthefal
Registered

I called Jeff Miller a couple of weeks back, left a voice mail, and he called me back 15 or 20 minutes later. He couldn't have been nicer. We must've talked close to an hour on all things Galils.

According to Jeff CNC Warrior receivers are great, Tortort is just as good, but they're just not quite as well known as CNC Warrior at this point. He didn't bring up any other manufactures and I didn't ask.

Lest anyone think otherwise, in my prior post I was in no way implying that Lewis & Black has an inferior or substandard product, just that I did a few cursory google searches, and didn't come back with any commentary, good, bad or indifferent. My searching was by no means in depth or extensive.

Gunplumber, do you have any opinions in regards to Tortort?
Old May 16, 2018, 11:39   #35
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
I have no personal experience with them, nor any data from those I know personally, good or bad. I have no reason to doubt Jeff's analysis.
Old May 17, 2018, 20:40   #36
Lewis and Black
Registered
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I called Jeff Miller a couple of weeks back, left a voice mail, and he called me back 15 or 20 minutes later. He couldn't have been nicer. We must've talked close to an hour on all things Galils.

According to Jeff CNC Warrior receivers are great, Tortort is just as good, but they're just not quite as well known as CNC Warrior at this point. He didn't bring up any other manufactures and I didn't ask.

Lest anyone think otherwise, in my prior post I was in no way implying that Lewis & Black has an inferior or substandard product, just that I did a few cursory google searches, and didn't come back with any commentary, good, bad or indifferent. My searching was by no means in depth or extensive.

We do have them in stock. Fully refundable if you're not totally satisfied....and yes, they're $840.00
Rodney Tucker
rodney@lewisandblack.com
Old May 19, 2018, 08:29   #37
maxaks
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76002
Jeff built me one a while back CNc warrior receiver I asked him what receiver he preferred (this was before tort came out with them) top quality builder and customer service
maxaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 26, 2018, 20:35   #38
Lewis and Black
Registered
Gold Contributor

Memorial Day Sale

...is underway.
rodney@lewisandblack.com
Old June 11, 2018, 10:24   #39
Lewis and Black
Registered
Gold Contributor

Quote:

When you read the "description" (https://lewisandblack.com/u-s-manufa...alil-receivers) of the receiver at our website, you'll note that Ben of Tortort, in conjunction with Jeff Miller's design and guidance, is our third party vendor with whom we have exclusively licensed the production of these MAR receivers. If anyone has any input, positive or negative, regarding these multi-caliber designed receivers, please post accordingly.
R.L. Tucker
rodney@lewisandblack.com