Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old June 09, 2018, 12:36   #1
SmokeEater2
Old grouchy bastid
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10990
FAL won't unlock?

I ran across a FAL for sale yesterday that would not unlock. It was an Imbel kit on a DSA receiver that the owner had bought used and was told it was built by DSA. I have no idea if it was or not.

The locking lever felt like it was moving far enough to unlock but I could not get the thing to break open, Very slight movement and that was it.

With the owners permission I removed the hinge pin and still no luck. I didn't use an extreme amount of force so as not to damage a rifle I am not sure about buying yet.

Any ideas what would cause this?
SmokeEater2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018, 01:03   #2
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2 View Post
I ran across a FAL for sale yesterday that would not unlock. It was an Imbel kit on a DSA receiver that the owner had bought used and was told it was built by DSA. I have no idea if it was or not.

The locking lever felt like it was moving far enough to unlock but I could not get the thing to break open, Very slight movement and that was it.

With the owners permission I removed the hinge pin and still no luck. I didn't use an extreme amount of force so as not to damage a rifle I am not sure about buying yet.

Any ideas what would cause this?
The receiver?

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018, 03:58   #3
judgedredd
Registered

FALaholic #: 79768
I have a DSA FAL, and so far no problems. However a friend who has one had to polish his feed ramps. It started after about 100 rounds (stg58), and when he started shooting some Turkish ammo that was a bit underpowered(compared to the others) he had some problems. He tried his other ammo and started having problems too. He polished his feed ramps and he was good to go. He noticed his brass was flying farther than ever with the higher powred ammo and on the same gas setting. Sometimes some parkerization can get into those areas during the manufacture phase. You can google polishing FAL feed ramps for help. Now my friend is pretty mechanical and gun savy and he can do amazing things. If it were me I would CALL DSA and let them know what is happening since you spent some pretty good money on this rifle. I have heard good things about thier customer service. besides monkeying with something may cost you a warranty. Wish I could say that about SIG (another story with one of my 556 rifles) they BITE and they wont even help you on a NEW and unfired $1700 rifle. They(SIG) give you the run around and make up unprinted rules. I am very bitter right now.....so dont get bitter like me when you may have a company that will help you. Instead of selling my problem SIG I have a competent smith fixing the issues I have. However THATS my last SIG 556. You may kick your self for getting rid of a great rifle becuase of a simple problem.
Last but not least. How many magazines do you have? Checking some forums alot FTE and jams are caused by bad magazines. Had that happen on an Armalite AR10, changed the mag(gen 2)and I was good to go. Check that out. Say you have 2-3 mags right now, keep in mind they are surplus and they all could be bad. On my PTRs I bought a lot of mags and I had to select some that were keepers.
judgedredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018, 07:30   #4
cavegeo
Contributor

FALaholic #: 11441
Quote:
Originally Posted by judgedredd View Post
I have a DSA FAL, and so far no problems.

However a friend who has one had to polish his feed ramps. It started after about 100 rounds (stg58), and when he started shooting some Turkish ammo that was a bit underpowered(compared to the others) he had some problems. He tried his other ammo and started having problems too. He polished his feed ramps and he was good to go. He noticed his brass was flying farther than ever with the higher powred ammo and on the same gas setting. Sometimes some parkerization can get into those areas during the manufacture phase. You can google polishing FAL feed ramps for help. Now my friend is pretty mechanical and gun savy and he can do amazing things. If it were me I would CALL DSA and let them know what is happening since you spent some pretty good money on this rifle. I have heard good things about thier customer service. besides monkeying with something may cost you a warranty.

Wish I could say that about SIG (another story with one of my 556 rifles) they BITE and they wont even help you on a NEW and unfired $1700 rifle. They(SIG) give you the run around and make up unprinted rules. I am very bitter right now.....so dont get bitter like me when you may have a company that will help you. Instead of selling my problem SIG I have a competent smith fixing the issues I have. However THATS my last SIG 556. You may kick your self for getting rid of a great rifle becuase of a simple problem.

Last but not least. How many magazines do you have? Checking some forums alot FTE and jams are caused by bad magazines. Had that happen on an Armalite AR10, changed the mag(gen 2)and I was good to go. Check that out. Say you have 2-3 mags right now, keep in mind they are surplus and they all could be bad. On my PTRs I bought a lot of mags and I had to select some that were keepers.
I am not sure what Sig has to do with SmokEater2 problem but next time please use some white space to make your writing at least readable.
The whole point of being governed by a Constitution and not by men or directly by the people themselves was to stop incredible stupidity from annihilating our Freedoms. Tyranny of the majority is just as dangerous as any dictator. Especially when the majority is incredibly ******* stupid.
cavegeo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018, 07:50   #5
imacoonass01
Registered

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by cavegeo View Post
I am not sure what Sig has to do with SmokEater2 problem but next time please use some white space to make your writing at least readable.
Old June 10, 2018, 09:27   #6
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Was the bolt locked open?
Old June 10, 2018, 12:06   #7
SmokeEater2
Old grouchy bastid
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10990
No, Bolt was closed. I couldn't feel any binding in the action.
SmokeEater2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018, 12:21   #8
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
My flippant DSA haing post aside, likely the locking lug to to body lug are too tight. Meaning, either the lug on the bottom of the receiver, or the lug in the trigger housing will need some hand fitting. When these things rifles are closed together, one does not need to "slam" the action to get it too lock. I saw one last night that would not lock without trying to shove the take down lever forward, and it still would not lock up, as the lever would not move without excessive force.
I have seen this on both Coonan and DSA receivers. It is a fixable problem if this is the only issue. Try to remove the locking lug from the trigger housing, and see if it will then open.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 10, 2018, 20:54   #9
Mebsuta
Khemi, Stygia
Contributor

FALaholic #: 4143
One of mine I have to break it open over my knee. I mean carefully, just a little bump.
Old June 10, 2018, 20:56   #10
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebsuta View Post
One of mine I have to break it open over my knee. I mean carefully, just a little bump.
I have one of those. Coonan receiver. Easy fix, just need to do it.
Old June 15, 2018, 18:03   #11
Hebrew Battle Rifle
Horses Ass
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5777
You can use this as a means of negotiating an excellent price and make the mino repair once the rifle is yours.
The reciever lug is too long and the lever doesn't have enough through to draw the locking body to the rear far enough.
To repair, remove the buttstock, remove the locking screw, push the locking body spring in to relieve the pressure on the cross pin, remove cross pin, lever, and locking body.
Trim the reciever lug and reassemble the locking body assembly.
Old June 18, 2018, 18:09   #12
AZ Dave
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7882
What does he want for it?
Old June 22, 2018, 13:55   #13
Scout10
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 80494
Hanging . . here