The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old February 03, 2018, 09:42   #1
Douglas S Graham
Registered

FALaholic #: 19332
Need help, scope and rings, RPR

Got my RPR in 6.5, need a scope and rings that hopefully don't need to be lapped. Suggestions?? Minimum I'm thinking is the Nikon 1000 black. Looking at Nightforce and Vortex as well. Thinking 5-15 power??

TIA!!!
Douglas S Graham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2018, 10:07   #2
rbgonoles
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 74764
I have the Vortex Precision rings high and a Vortex PST 6-24 on my RPR in 6mm. Set up worked out nice. Didn’t lap the rings. I’m new to precision shooting/long range, but the rifle is extremely accurate.

First shots at 100 yards after dialing the scope in.

rbgonoles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2018, 17:03   #3
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
My RPR in 6.5 Creedmore mounts Vortex PST 6x24 FFP with MOA Dots instead of Mil-Dot. I just grasp MOA easier when converting ranges than Mil-Dot. I also have a Leupold MK4 LRT 4.5x14 on my FN bolt rifle. Both are fine.

Anything over 15X is distracting to me. To much of picking up my natural movements, pulse, breathing, muscle flex, and showing up in the scope. Less than 15X makes it non-noticeable.

I also have a Nikon on one of my hunting rifles. I have noticed that in lower light scenarios, it is little darker than the Vortex and Leupold scopes I have. Good clear glass, just not as sensitive in low light.

Several friends have been getting good results from the Bushnell XRS models. Just try to look through them first before buying.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2018, 01:37   #4
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
I would agree with most every thing TAC-40 had to say. My friend has a RPR in 308 that is topped with a Vortex Viper PST scope Iím not sure what rings/mount he has it in but it holds zero great. I know several others who have put scopes in Burris PEPR mounts and LaRue LT104 mount.

While I havenít used or even looked through the Nikon X1000 Black scopes, but I do have a Nikon scope on one of my rifles that has a mildot retical. The glass is good and clear and have no complaints about the clarity of the scope. However, I ran into a big problem with the retical. It is thick enough that at a 100 yards it covers ruffle a quarter of an inch.

I may have been spoiled when I started shooting an M24 topped with a Leupold Mark 4 scope. It has a very fine retical which allowed for very precise shooting. I would recommend any of the Leupold Mark 4 LRT, Mark 5 & 6 scopes, Nightforce NXS scopes, Vortex Viper PST, Vortex Razor or the Burris XRT scopes. I really Like the Horus vision reticals but they can be a little intimidating when one first looks at them as they can a little over whelming.

I also agree that any scope turned over about 15 power just magnifies any body tremors or movement unless itís in a solid rest.

Hope this helps you. There are other scopes Iíd recommend but they are very pricey.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2018, 13:32   #5
Douglas S Graham
Registered

FALaholic #: 19332
I'm thinking the choices are narrowing down to a Vortex Razor 3-18 or a Nightforce 3-15 (which is cheaper). Both seem to be getting great reviews online. Seekins precision rings to round out the purchase.

Won't sleep well tonight trying to figure out which one to pull the trigger on.
Douglas S Graham is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2018, 13:59   #6
Eyeguy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73288
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douglas S Graham View Post
I'm thinking the choices are narrowing down to a Vortex Razor 3-18 or a Nightforce 3-15 (which is cheaper). Both seem to be getting great reviews online. Seekins precision rings to round out the purchase.

Won't sleep well tonight trying to figure out which one to pull the trigger on.
The Vortex "Precision Matched" rings have served well. I do lap rings when mounting an optic and these needed almost nothing in the way of mods to true up. The one Burris PEPR one piece I've used also showed to be "true" in alignment but the rings are not as robust as the Precision Matched set.
Eyeguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2018, 10:37   #7
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
I lap all rings as matter of habit but with Burris and Vortex usually takes very little work to true them. Have multiple Vortex 6-24 PST's along with close to two dozen total Vortex optics with zero issues plus their forever warranty even on electronics to back them up. Used to be a Leupold or U.S. made Burris user except the occasional high dollar German glass. Due to features for the dollar buy more Vortex than all other scopes combined and LGS sells more Vortex than any others. HAve yet to see one take a dump.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 21, 2018, 13:09   #8
bman940
Registered

FALaholic #: 76579
scope

You'll love Nikon's BLACK X1000 scope. I have 3, 2 on 6.5cm's and 1 on a .308. All dialed in for longrange shooting. The BLACK X1000 is also currently under a Nikon promo right now to if you want to save some extra $ on it. I'd alos suggest checking out this sites sponsor's to see if they can hook you up.

bman940 is offline   Reply With Quote