The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics

Notices

Old December 04, 2007, 13:45   #51
rwwje
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 2017
I know of no source (who knows what happened to the ones removed for LED installation). I'm not sure, but there are rumors that some may have been removed to allow import - you know, dangerous radiation devices or some such nonsense. They would be easy and cheap to fabricate from round or bar stock, even with a hobby type lather or end mill (heck even drill press and files); turn to O.D., cut to length, groove for o-ring, mill "handle", mill cavity, blacken, paint one end of "handle" white, install tritium tube/vial, install in lamp holder socket with a C-clip (haven't checked on off-the-shelve size/compatibility for ring clips- get out the file).

The ideal marketing of light sources for reanimating SUIT's would require cheap repro's of the lampholders with tritium vial/tube installed. I think this is what Brownknees has/had in mind, but tritium vial availability interfered.
Conservatives believe that the people are sovereign, and that the government is subject to the will of the people. Liberals believe that the government is sovereign, and that the people are subject to the will of the government.
rwwje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2007, 17:42   #52
hanko
Registered

FALaholic #: 8758
Quote:
Originally posted by intersite
I was wondering about locating an original compartment cover.

Does anyone know where these are available?
Try Brad or Paul at gunthings.com

-hanko
hanko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2007, 21:33   #53
brownknees
Registered

FALaholic #: 14917
Dead on the money, rwwje.
The plugs had to be removed before importing to prevent the need for a Nuclear RegulatoryCommission Liscence. Somewhere in the UK there's a big box of these sitting in a warehouse somewhere.
(Same thing to run a nuke!)
It seems that the Izzys, or the importer for Izzys found a way round the problem. Dead tritium maybe?

So what we have is more SUITs than plugs for SUITS. Enter the LED thingy

You're also correct about being able to make plugs easily. the hole is just under 1/2", so 1/2" aluminium rod stock can be adapted with minimal work, using only hand tools.

As you say I'd planned on making a bunch of these up, but with the sporadic availability of vials the project went into hibernation.
brownknees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 04, 2007, 23:40   #54
rwwje
Registered
Contributor

Check with Merkava as linked below (he's in Israel, I think). You may already know of this guy. I haven't bought from him in the past because he didn't have the right sizes up until now. And, you know how I'm about red vs. green - but hey, the one green 1.5mm x 6mm vial I have installed works well - it takes two red 1.5 mm x 6mm or 1.5mm x 4mm vials to be bright enough. Looks like he has a bunch of 1.5 mm x 6 mm green vials at $10.00 each that will work just fine. He obviously can get significant quantities at various times.
Green Tritium Vials for Sale

Conservatives believe that the people are sovereign, and that the government is subject to the will of the people. Liberals believe that the government is sovereign, and that the people are subject to the will of the government.
Old December 05, 2007, 10:55   #55
intersite
Registered

FALaholic #: 32864
Geez Louise, I went to have a peep thru my just-bought SUIT sight this morning and you will never guess- the reticule is not there any more!!!!!!!!!!!

How the heck has this come about? How can the reticule just vanish?

Please help.

TIA.
intersite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2007, 12:09   #56
brownknees
Registered

The reticule is a small, clear plastic post with a dual taper.
It could have been removed at some point, for reasons unknown, or have been snapped off & floating round inside somewhere loose.
Either way the scope is broken & should be replaced.
As far as I know there is no regular source for replacment reticules.
Can you return it?
Old December 05, 2007, 12:20   #57
intersite
Registered

Well this is really odd - I cant see how it can have come out, Im sure its inside somewhere in the housing. When I got the scope, it was visible.

Now, gone.

The annoying thing is that the only thing I have done is (CAREFULLY) removed the red LED stopper. Nothing fell out.

I cant see how it could have gotten thru the little "funnel" in the plastic plate that is held down with the small screw.

It MUST be inside.

I cannot return the scope as it was bought second hand off the forums in the MarketPlace from "harley".
Old December 05, 2007, 12:31   #58
brownknees
Registered

I posted in the other thread about this, with some hopefully good suggestions.
Take a peek there maybe that'll help.
It is MUCH smaller than it appears in the sight and clear, bear that in mind when looking for it.
Old December 07, 2007, 14:23   #59
intersite
Registered

..well, you were right....

I found the little blighter!

AMAZINGLY, she's still intact!

It turned up in the middle of the kitchen floor - I'd scoured that entire area yesterday for it and no sign, but I suspect a washing bin had been emptied earlier today and it had perhaps got trapped in an item of clothing and come out when it was going from there and into the washing machine? We will never know!

Anyway, tritium is here, reticle is now back in and Im all set to install it all!

Thanks to everyone who has helped. Much appreciated.
Old December 07, 2007, 19:02   #60
brownknees
Registered

Yay, way to go!
Old December 13, 2007, 06:16   #61
intersite
Registered

..and I have now secured the reticle in using three tiny blobs of LocTite onto the rim of the reticle where it meets the SUIT housing.

Vision through the SUIT / reticle is still as was after LocTite-ing and it wont come out now.
Old December 13, 2007, 07:30   #62
brownknees
Registered

Excellent!
Welcome to the SUIT club
Old December 13, 2007, 07:38   #63
intersite
Registered

Thanks!

I also noticed securing the top of the reticle in its seating helps keep a more consistent alignment for windage following adjustment and moving the rifle. Without the glue, it would lean slightly left or right, obviously not good for bore sighting or zeroing at the range!
Old December 13, 2007, 07:54   #64
brownknees
Registered

You just have to lean the opposite way by the same amount
Old December 13, 2007, 08:06   #65
intersite
Registered

Smile

Slightly tricky if you are in the middle of a FAL-based competition and the pressure is on hehehe!

Seriously though, bore sighting against an original British Army bore sighting card revealed massive changes when the rifle was initially zeroed to the red square then moved in any way. Getting it to re-align just wasn't happening. The securing of the reticle has gone a long way to sorting this I have to say.

I'm still stunned we Brits chose such a loose way to fit the reticle to be honest!

I use a lot of Russian scopes and I have to say they retain an excellent zero for me and the optics are extremely clear (a view shared by other shooters I shoot with). They are also built like tanks and you know they can withstand a knock or two.

The SUIT is great don't get me wrong, but the reticle, from past experience I'm finding, is a bit "Toys R Us". But then, the SUIT is "old" technology and things have moved on a lot since then.
Old April 17, 2008, 20:11   #66
mosbysmen

FALaholic #: 782
btt

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.
Mark Twain

"when you have integrity..... nothing else matters
when you don't have integrity.... nothing else matters"
Teach The Children This Simple Principle.... Bob Kelly

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving
safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in
broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly
proclaiming -- WOW--What a Ride
l
mosbysmen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2008, 06:17   #67
mountainman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14702
I'm working with G_FAL on a tritium insert. He's the dealer and I'm the manufacturer and a single one won't be sold if the final design isn't top notch. Right now we are working on getting the top knob dims and I am trying to find a good layout for the tritium. I think it would be best lying lengthside offcentered in a 2.2 mm wide and deep slot by 6mm long. If anyone has got any input, please feel free to throw in your .02.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18, 2008, 07:01   #68
brownknees
Registered

Quote:
please feel free to throw in your .02.
I think I did that when I sent you the drawings you asked for.
Old April 18, 2008, 15:45   #69
mountainman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14702
You threw more like $20 into it. Thanks, without those it would have been a much more difficult start.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2008, 11:26   #70
Speedfish
Registered

FALaholic #: 6547
Hello,

I couldn't find any Mr Putty white putty. Will Bondo glazing and spot putty work?

Thanks,
Speedfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2008, 11:37   #71
brownknees
Registered

Any white colored putty that's soft enough to not damage the vial while setting it in place, but sets hard should work well.

Those that remain pliable, after curing won't work in the long run as they will "settle" after a while. If the Bondo sets hard it should be fine.

A decent alternative that I've used is "Testors Contour Putty". Just be sure to let it harden/cure outside the SUIT. It is spirit based & the fumes during hardening can etch the top of the fiber-optic reticule otherwise. A couple of days is plenty to let it gas off.

You can usually find it at hobby/craft stores in a 5/8 Fl.Oz. tube for a couple of dollars.
Old July 25, 2008, 17:34   #72
Cofaler
Registered

FALaholic #: 21421
Source for tritium vials

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=137473

Try this guy.... He's in the Candle Power Forums Market place. I just got another SUIT that has the original cap in addition to the led one, I'll be ordering a vial soon too. What do you guys think, red or green? red is better fro NV, but green is useful too.

Well, bummer, the thread seems dead, maybe he will restock.... Well, at least check out the forum if you've never been there.

Last edited by Cofaler; July 25, 2008 at 17:46.
Cofaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 09, 2009, 09:07   #73
goodorbit
Registered

FALaholic #: 7482
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=170374

Try this link.
Old January 10, 2009, 10:21   #74
onebigelf
Registered

FALaholic #: 32682
Quote:
Originally posted by Cyclic
Would the vial from a pistol or shotgun night site work?

Say remove the vial from this.....

Meprolite Shotgun Sight

Retails for $34 and delivered to your door. Just don't know if its enough light for this application.
Top Gun Supply has these sights for $23. Shipping is a ridiculous $10, but it still comes out cheaper.

John
onebigelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 08, 2009, 12:31   #75
Steelcore_7.62
Registered

FALaholic #: 6617
Re: Source for tritium vials

Quote:
Originally posted by Cofaler
http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...d.php?t=137473

Try this guy.... He's in the Candle Power Forums Market place. I just got another SUIT that has the original cap in addition to the led one, I'll be ordering a vial soon too. What do you guys think, red or green? red is better fro NV, but green is useful too.

Well, bummer, the thread seems dead, maybe he will restock.... Well, at least check out the forum if you've never been there.
B@rt is selling again. Go to this link:

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sho...64#post2305064

Can't wait to re-animate the SUIT!

Cheers,
Darrell
Old May 08, 2009, 12:43   #76
intersite
Registered

Top bloke to deal with - got my SUIT sorted. Get ordering folks!
Old May 08, 2009, 23:36   #77
johnnycobra
Registered

FALaholic #: 26209
So I saw earlier that 3X10 or 2X10 red or green is optimal.

Looks like this guy is offering 1.55X5 in all colors and 2x8 in green only.

What are you guys buying?

I was wanting to find a red and green in 2x10 and put one of each in the plug. Looks like this won't happen with what is being offered.

Opinions?
johnnycobra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 09, 2009, 02:15   #78
Steelcore_7.62
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by johnnycobra
So I saw earlier that 3X10 or 2X10 red or green is optimal.

Looks like this guy is offering 1.55X5 in all colors and 2x8 in green only.

What are you guys buying?

I was wanting to find a red and green in 2x10 and put one of each in the plug. Looks like this won't happen with what is being offered.

Opinions?
I bought the 2X8s. Should be fine for the task. 10mm is maybe a bit longer than really necessary?

Cheers,
Darrell
Old May 10, 2009, 09:00   #79
crsswift70
Registered

FALaholic #: 42960
Bought a 2x8 green as well.
crsswift70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2009, 06:28   #80
Steelcore_7.62
Registered

I received mine (2X8mm) yesterday. I think they will work just fine. It will be a few months before I can make the mod to my SUIT.

Cheers,
Darrell
Old May 18, 2009, 22:45   #81
rwwje
Registered
Contributor

Having used red, orange, and green; my choice is red. Red vials are the best color match the one orginal "red-orange" tritium illuminator "bulb" (looks like a micro light bulb) that I have that is still glowing at about 50% of original brightness - just barely below what I would consider for field use. Green is great for handgun sights that you are holding two feet from your face. But, the red is subdued compared to green, with the green really being too bright for tactical use as per my night hog hunting experience. All you need to do is see the aiming pointer, and green is so bright that is causes washout of the target in very low light conditions. The pointer is visible in any light conditions that are "brighter" than what red vials provide. My strong recommendation is to use red vials, not green vials. There is a reason that the S.U.I.T. did not use green vials ("bulbs"). Please don't think that green vials were not available at the time. It's a washout issue...............
Old May 19, 2009, 16:08   #82
Steelcore_7.62
Registered

I thought the whole idea behind the "Rheostat" type of system on the SUIT is to be able to adjust the amount of illumination by turning the knob. Are you saying that in any position, there will be washout?

I steered clear of the red vials due to the low level of output.

Cheers,
Darrell
Old May 19, 2009, 16:48   #83
crsswift70
Registered

I will let you know after this weekend. I got my vials in
Old May 20, 2009, 00:11   #84
rwwje
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally posted by Steelcore_7.62
I thought the whole idea behind the "Rheostat" type of system on the SUIT is to be able to adjust the amount of illumination by turning the knob. Are you saying that in any position, there will be washout?

I steered clear of the red vials due to the low level of output.

Cheers,
Darrell

I've never used a red LED rheostat controled illuminator. Since such illuminators are adjustable, I see no reason to suffer washout. It's just the green tritium vials are to bright in very low light conditions and "blind" you (me, anyway) since the light source is "between" your eye and the image.
Old May 20, 2009, 02:02   #85
sfbadger
Registered

FALaholic #: 33635
Quote:
Originally posted by Speedfish
Hello,

I couldn't find any Mr Putty white putty. Will Bondo glazing and spot putty work?

Thanks,
I just finished 3 SUIT scopes and I used white wall spackle to set the vials in the scopes vial holder. It dries hard but is water soluble so it's easy to work with and clean up is a breeze.

I installed 2 - 2x8mm Green Tritium vials in each but to make 2 vials fit properly I had to Dremel a little aluminum from the scopes vial holder. At first I tried to make 2 vials fit without the Dremel work and that caused 1 vial to stick up just a little which caused 1 to crack when I installed the holder. Have to Dremel a little to make 2 of those vials fit flush.

"Good things may come to those who wait, but only the things that are left by those who hustle" -A. Lincoln

"Patriotism and love of country does not demand endless sacrifice on the part of our troops in a war justified by slogans," -Z. Brzezinski
sfbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 08:16   #86
crsswift70
Registered

Do you think the spackle might become brittle over time or start breaking up and falling out of the plug? I am planning on doing mine this weekend but am unsure of what i am going to use.
Old May 20, 2009, 09:32   #87
bookertbab
Registered

FALaholic #: 5217
what about using something like silicone caulk?

NRA Life member.
bookertbab is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 10:49   #88
crsswift70
Registered

That was more in line with what i was thinking.
Old May 20, 2009, 13:06   #89
sfbadger
Registered

I don't think there will be any problem with the spackle because it doesn't seem to crack and fall off of any walls that I've ever done, as long as moisture doesn't get to it, which I don't foresee happening. If it was to happen then the spackle is easily removed with a water soaking and I could try something else. My first thought was to use something silicon based, though.

"Good things may come to those who wait, but only the things that are left by those who hustle" -A. Lincoln

"Patriotism and love of country does not demand endless sacrifice on the part of our troops in a war justified by slogans," -Z. Brzezinski
Old May 20, 2009, 13:10   #90
rwwje
Registered
Contributor

I've removed three original tritium illuminiators, and the mounting compound appeared to "sheet- rock mud". It looked and behaved the same as sheet-rock mud, since water softened and "dissolved" it. It was not a solvent based or cured product. But, most anything would work, but only sheet-rock mud type products would allow for easy removal and replacement of tritium illuminators. Please note that all the OEM tritium illuminators (shaped like a mini-light bulb) all had a thin white paint covering the "bulb" except where the "bulb" was exposed to provide illumination. I've only used plumbers putty to mount new illuminators, but that is probably not permanent/adequate enough for severe service.
Old May 20, 2009, 14:51   #91
mhobtr
Contributor

FALaholic #: 20291
Quote:
Originally posted by rwwje
I've removed three original tritium illuminiators, and the mounting compound appeared to "sheet- rock mud".
I guessed it to be plaster of paris.

Obama, OneBigAssMistakeAmerica
mhobtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2009, 15:34   #92
Steelcore_7.62
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by rwwje

I've never used a red LED rheostat controled illuminator. Since such illuminators are adjustable, I see no reason to suffer washout. It's just the green tritium vials are to bright in very low light conditions and "blind" you (me, anyway) since the light source is "between" your eye and the image.
rwwje, I think you missed my point. I was saying that since the tritium source can be rotated closer and further from the reticle post that the amount of illumination should be variable like a "rheostat". The SUIT I have has less than 50% left and I could still see it fade in and out when I rotated the holder. My experience is limited to this; so please let me know if the illumination from my replacements will be all or none as I still can get red ones if I need them.

Cheers,
Darrell
Old May 20, 2009, 15:42   #93
crsswift70
Registered

The tritium insert was designed to do that. I don't know how the green would be any different than the red in that respect. You could turn it way down by turning the insert.
Old May 20, 2009, 15:50   #94
sfbadger
Registered

Quote:
Originally posted by crsswift70
The tritium insert was designed to do that. I don't know how the green would be any different than the red in that respect. You could turn it way down by turning the insert.
This is slightly off topic but noteable.

If you check out the link below you'll be sent to Bart's page with the Tritium vials that I recently used. One of the links on his page has a chart that rates luminosity by color. Green is at the top with 90% luminosity. Red is somewhere down around 40%. I guess my point is that if you're going to use Red Tritium vials, you're going to view a dimmer reticle. At least that was my take using his luminosity chart.

http://www.cpfmarketplace.com/mp/sh...ad.php?t=137473

Last edited by sfbadger; May 20, 2009 at 18:42.
Old May 20, 2009, 21:37   #95
crsswift70
Registered

Agreed... there is also the life expectancy to consider. I think green lasts the longest.
Old May 20, 2009, 22:24   #96
rwwje
Registered
Contributor

Point taken on fine tuning (turning) the illuminator as I have also done that with both red and green. Also, I agree that the green should provide a longer usable life, as it would maintain a usable brightness level longer (since it is IMHO "over-bright" to start with). I have just found that for me, the green is not best color illuminator. In addition, I have found I can see better with conventional red adjustable battery illuminated reticle scopes than with green ones. I think it's due to the human eye's response to the two colors (red has long been held to least affect your night or low light vision). But, maybe it's just me. Please note that I do use green handgun night sights, but I think that is an apples/oranges comparison and doesn't apply to scopes.
Old June 27, 2009, 17:26   #97
Psychomonkey
Registered

FALaholic #: 37628
Tritium replacement

Hi,

I recently bought a SUIT and it has no plug in place. I have read this thread and am looking to make a new plug. I don't have anything to work from. I have access to a lathe, and a Bridgeport mill so I can make the plug if I had a diagram. If someone has a diagram or detailed measurements I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,

John
Psychomonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27, 2009, 18:00   #98
brownknees
Registered

FWIW the ambient light color has a bearing on what color to use.
I have made these in green & in yellow.
If you're under scatter from gas discharge street lamps the "yellow" your eye sees will blend with the yellow or amber tip & make it harder to see. In this case green shows up because of clolor contrast.
Amber/yellow works very well under moonlight & so on, so that'd be the first choice for areas not lit by those lamps.

I ended up making a dual-color one 1/4 turn lit or darkened the reticule tip 1/2 turn brought the other color into play.
For this to work the vials HAVE to go across the narrow dimension of the cutout, or you'll get "bleed" at all positions of the knob.

Psychomonkey
If only you'd asked me that yesterday, the CD is on it's way to you already.
Let me have an e-mail addy & I'll send you a bunch of plug dimension drawings.
Old June 28, 2009, 20:07   #99
Cofaler
Registered

FALaholic #: 21421
brownknees, I would like to see a pic of your setup if it's not too much trouble. Thanks.
Old June 29, 2009, 07:21   #100
brownknees
Registered

I don't have the sight anymore, sorry.