The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old February 10, 2018, 07:37   #1
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
Info on a new toy

I have come to own an Armory USA, AK. 885-c, I think it is. It shoots pretty good with the iron sights, but the hand guards are loose. So the quad rails would be useless to attach a red dot, which is my hope. The trigger is better than my Rem. 700, once you take up the first stage. I'm kinda liking this thing. I acquired it in my brothers will, along with others.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018, 13:12   #2
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
Armory USA is a decent company if I remember ...

You can mount a optic with

1. The side scope rail most AK have ( plenty of mounts out there just put your optic and go from there )
2. A gas tube mount
3. On the rear sight block but eh

All work fine

And you can tighten up the handguns but eh I would not worry about it unless a major issue

I cant rember if the Armory guns had a USA made barrel or not on them
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018, 16:27   #3
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
A friend has a Global Trades (/Armory USA) SSR-85C, built around 2000?, that is the finest Kalashnikov rifle I've ever seen. They were built on Hungarian FEG receivers with Polish AK-type barrels. They came with beautiful blonde elm furniture iirc. His is just about perfect in fit and finish and very accurate. I later bought one of, if not the last, of this original series of rifles. They later produced several other models of rifles with parts of different origin.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 03:02   #4
Registered

Thanks for the info. My rifle has composite stocks, and the receiver says Bulgaria on it. I need to get out for a serious range day, but the weather has not been cooperating of late. It's either been incredibly cold, or it's snowing, or it warms a bit and rains,, then there's the ice.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:38   #5
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Armory manufactured receivers are horrible. But if it's an Armory import Bulgarian, I'm sure it's fine. If it is early stamped Bulgarian pattern, it will be an AK, not an AKM, so will lack the leaf-spring tensioner in the lower handguard. You can swap for an AKM lower handguard, or add a shim between the lower handguard and the handguard support. There should be slight tension when rotating the handguard support lever to the rear.

The Ultimak rail is a good way to forward-mount a red dot.
Old February 14, 2018, 07:58   #6
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Armory manufactured receivers are horrible.
The only Kalashnikov that I've ever seen that just would not work was built on an Armory USA receiver. It was an InterArms Tantal that I bought from Blaine Bunting at Atlantic Firearms. They were matching number Polish parts on an Armory receiver. The gun would not fire two consecutive shots. It was returned to Blaine and he shipped it back to Houston, and they replaced it with one built on a Nodak receiver. That rifle runs great.

I always suspected an out of spec receiver on the first rifle. After firing, it extracted and ejected the spent case, loaded another round and then the bolt stopped about 3/4" "out of battery" and had to be driven back with a mallet! Every time. With any magazine tried. I never saw any AK act that way.

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 08:51   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

The location of the hammer, trigger, and selector axle holes is way off. A "shepherds crook" standard axle-retaining plate will not fit. It is primarily the hole for the selector being too low.

My guess from your description, is the incorrect location of the FCG holes prevented the hammer from camming back correctly, locking the hammer and preventing the carrier from passing over it.
Old February 15, 2018, 00:56   #8
Registered

Thanks GP. Always with the good information.
Old February 16, 2018, 10:16   #9
pmf
Registered

FALaholic #: 2923
My Arsenal SLR-96 is my nicest AK, but the Century SAR-1 goes to the range more because it has a side mounted optic mount that I use a Kalinka sight on. Biggest con of that gun is the serious trigger slap. I put a rubber tube over the trigger which helps a lot.
pmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2018, 12:22   #10
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmf View Post
Biggest con of that gun is the serious trigger slap. I put a rubber tube over the trigger which helps a lot.
Why not correct the problem? You have a partial tail on the disconnector - it needs to come off completely. If you still have slap, it's a bad disconnector spring hole depth, bad spring, or the clearance in your receiver is allowing the trigger to pull too far to the rear. 5-10 minutes work.
Old February 17, 2018, 13:57   #11
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmf View Post
My Arsenal SLR-96 is my nicest AK, but the Century SAR-1 goes to the range more because it has a side mounted optic mount that I use a Kalinka sight on. Biggest con of that gun is the serious trigger slap. I put a rubber tube over the trigger which helps a lot.
Funny, both of the SAR-1s as well as 3 SAR-3s I have tried were fine. But two SAR-2s were TERRIBLE. It plum hurt to shoot them. Bobbing the disconnector fixed them both though. Off topic, but the SAR-2s were the best overall gun purchases I have ever made. Bought the rifles when they were cheap (less than $300 NIB). Bought magazines in new sealed four packs with pouch for like $14 and ammo by the case for cheap (and stacked it deep). Even got the folding stocks cheap. A man has to accessorize you know.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2018, 14:05   #12
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

While I had done work on the Galils (my first semiauto), it was retrofitting the thumbhole SAR-2s that was my big jump into AK work. Worked with FSE for the compliance parts and IWD for the wood. Only thing I regret was not picking up one of those cheap 5.45 DDR police sniper rifles at the time, as well.