The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 14, 2017, 17:06   #51
Wil-C
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17357
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
I've been looking at those bicycles with weed eater looking motors as an emergency beat feet vehicle to get home on.

No starter, no alternator, glow plug ignition,??? or a tiny generator,??? I believe.
Should be EMP proof????

Things run along at 35mph and run 50 or 70 miles on several oz of gas.
no, no, and HELL NO!

They're chinese made and unreliable. My neighbor has many years experience with them and it's a constant struggle to keep them running.

I also ran an experiment. Sta-bil marine grade fuel preservative works like magic on keeping fuel usable...........unless you have two-stroke oil in the gas.
If you are using sta-bil marine grade in two-stroke mixed fuel, it will not hold for a solid year.

Even if you went with one of those and tried to store fuel for it. You'd have to store the gas separate with sta-bil and then mix the two stroke oil when you need it.

You want a good get-home bike which is EMP proof? Go get a honda CT 90 or 110. Then add all the racks which are made for those, damn things are two-wheeled mules...

Add edit: those chicom made bicycle engines also have electronic ignition, not points.
They're susceptible to EMP.
CT 90 & 110 have points and ignition coil & use a non solid-state voltage regulator, a zener diode I 'think' is the correct technical term. Same voltage regulator as my CL 90.
__________________
"A gun is a tool" .....Shane.
Wil-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017, 18:06   #52
TenTea
Registered
Contributor
 
TenTea's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 72247
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Wisco
Posts: 2,324
Don't think this one is made in China...and probably EMP proof.

TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017, 18:14   #53
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 13,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil-C View Post
no, no, and HELL NO!

They're chinese made and unreliable. My neighbor has many years experience with them and it's a constant struggle to keep them running.

I also ran an experiment. Sta-bil marine grade fuel preservative works like magic on keeping fuel usable...........unless you have two-stroke oil in the gas.
If you are using sta-bil marine grade in two-stroke mixed fuel, it will not hold for a solid year.

Even if you went with one of those and tried to store fuel for it. You'd have to store the gas separate with sta-bil and then mix the two stroke oil when you need it.

You want a good get-home bike which is EMP proof? Go get a honda CT 90 or 110. Then add all the racks which are made for those, damn things are two-wheeled mules...

Add edit: those chicom made bicycle engines also have electronic ignition, not points.
They're susceptible to EMP.
CT 90 & 110 have points and ignition coil & use a non solid-state voltage regulator, a zener diode I 'think' is the correct technical term. Same voltage regulator as my CL 90.

This, emphatically. Those chinese bike motors absolutely live up to the reputation the chinese have of making some real crap.

There may be scenarios where a motorcycle might be a viable means of SHTF transport, but I can't think of any offhand. Limited load capacity, they require all your hands, feet, and attention to operate, and provide zero protection. Auto sheet metal may not be much, but I'll take it over nothing. On a bike you are dead meat if intercepted or confronted. Probably nice for transport around a community or area that has been reasonably secured, though.
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017, 18:18   #54
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil-C View Post
no, no, and HELL NO!

They're chinese made and unreliable. My neighbor has many years experience with them and it's a constant struggle to keep them running.

I also ran an experiment. Sta-bil marine grade fuel preservative works like magic on keeping fuel usable...........unless you have two-stroke oil in the gas.
If you are using sta-bil marine grade in two-stroke mixed fuel, it will not hold for a solid year.

Even if you went with one of those and tried to store fuel for it. You'd have to store the gas separate with sta-bil and then mix the two stroke oil when you need it.

You want a good get-home bike which is EMP proof? Go get a honda CT 90 or 110. Then add all the racks which are made for those, damn things are two-wheeled mules...

Add edit: those chicom made bicycle engines also have electronic ignition, not points.
They're susceptible to EMP.
CT 90 & 110 have points and ignition coil & use a non solid-state voltage regulator, a zener diode I 'think' is the correct technical term. Same voltage regulator as my CL 90.
We have people who make up these things here in Bisbee and Tucson Arizona, will check with them, go from there.
I rode one a while back, seemed fine, easy to get started, and steer.
Weather here always nice, and post office being 14 miles away, may just take up riding one to check mail, screw off, and when going to Tucson weekly, just pop it in a bike rack on Jeep.
Engine is small enough to simply fit a faraday cage around somehow.
We'll see, now it has me curious.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017, 18:28   #55
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 13,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
Don't think this one is made in China...and probably EMP proof.

My first bike !!!!! Dad took it away when I got it running and discovered it would do well over 40 - no lights, one coaster brake ! Made me get a "real" bike, with real lights and brakes. Probably a wise move.

There were new Whizzers being made a few years ago, but I think they went out of production. They weren't cheap, but then the originals ain't either ! ( mine cost me $5 back around '64 ). IIRC, these later ones had Thai engines which were supposed to be pretty decent.
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017, 18:38   #56
Bawana jim
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17482
Join Date: May 2005
Location: west coast
Posts: 14,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
We have people who make up these things here in Bisbee and Tucson Arizona, will check with them, go from there.
I rode one a while back, seemed fine, easy to get started, and steer.
Weather here always nice, and post office being 14 miles away, may just take up riding one to check mail, screw off, and when going to Tucson weekly, just pop it in a bike rack on Jeep.
Engine is small enough to simply fit a faraday cage around somehow.
We'll see, now it has me curious.
In order to not lic them they are 49cc. They come in many styles from front wheel mount that is friction or belt and pully mid frame mount with chain drive and rear wheel mount that is friction or chain drive.

Weight is about 15lbs, mpg depends on the speed you move and the motors last as long as a weed whacker does. Do not buy the tucumseh motor, they fail quickly.

Fricton drive runs a wheel against your tire which is all good until the tire gets wet. Top speed with a fat boy like you would be about 35mph but you will be out of gas real quick at that speed and your weight. If you run as you are supposed to at 15mph you will get far better milage as its set up for engine to idle at 15mph.

Mopeds follow all the rules motorcycles do when the motor is running and bike rules when motor isnt.

In use I would never use the motor going away from home as you get very tired peddling a broken bike back. Peddle away from home and motor back.
__________________
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ---- Sir Winston Churchill-
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017, 18:41   #57
TenTea
Registered
Contributor
 
TenTea's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 72247
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Wisco
Posts: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post

There were new Whizzers being made a few years ago, but I think they went out of production. They weren't cheap, but then the originals ain't either ! ( mine cost me $5 back around '64 ). IIRC, these later ones had Thai engines which were supposed to be pretty decent.
I saw a new made one for sale in a storefront window, Herrin, IL circa ~2004. Maybe that one was the Thai engine.
I always like the vintage ones, as per my usual.
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017, 18:43   #58
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Thanks Jim.
I'm only looking for something to get my ass about 85 or 90 miles, once!
That's my only regular drive out from the home area.
Anything other than that, further than this, will depend upon other means.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017, 18:48   #59
Bawana jim
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17482
Join Date: May 2005
Location: west coast
Posts: 14,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
Thanks Jim.
I'm only looking for something to get my ass about 85 or 90 miles, once!
That's my only regular drive out from the home area.
Anything other than that, further than this, will depend upon other means.
Flat ground you could do it with about two gallons of gas if it stays running and you do 15mph. If you don't run it on a regular basis then drain the fuel tank and keep a spare sparkplug and wrench as mixed gas fouls easily.

If you go friction drive you can start motor without rope.
__________________
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ---- Sir Winston Churchill-
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2017, 19:37   #60
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 3,906
My '48 125cc Harley Hummers get 80 plus mpg on mix fuel with rider and no huge load of gear. Will hold about 45 to 50 mph and as add weight mileage and speed drop fast. The '56 and '57 165cc models have been punched out to 175cc and have magnetos. With fair load will run along pretty well up to 75 mph and if keep them in 45 to 50 mph range with heavy load of gear will get about 50 mpg on mix fuel. Nazi designs that were plans came west under war reparations act. British built a version and Harley did here in U.S. tough little bikes, run on trashy fuel and super light. My '48 models weigh 178 pounds and the mid '50's 165/175cc models are just under 200 pounds. Can find in running condition for under $2,000 and fully restored $5,000 to $7,000.
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017, 17:18   #61
Wil-C
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17357
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
We have people who make up these things here in Bisbee and Tucson Arizona, will check with them, go from there.
I rode one a while back, seemed fine, easy to get started, and steer.
Weather here always nice, and post office being 14 miles away, may just take up riding one to check mail, screw off, and when going to Tucson weekly, just pop it in a bike rack on Jeep.
Engine is small enough to simply fit a faraday cage around somehow.
We'll see, now it has me curious.
U.S. made I have no experience with, it might likely be better. The chicom stuff is not something you want to bet your life on in terms of it's reliability.

14 miles & you have a bicycle rack? I'd get a regular mtn bicycle, silent, no fuel required, and you can ditch it if need be & go on foot.
Anything with an engine if you're in a situation where you're forced to abandon your regular vehicle is going to attract attention you don't want.
Bicycles are silent, and can be ridden at night. I have a mtn bike & I practise with it at night, you'd be amazed at how far you can go without tiring yourself and how quietly you can move.
Not to mention it can handle just about any terrain and really helps move a load.

Add edit: I read your other post about the 90 miles. That is still reasonable for a bicycle, a couple days ride if taking it easy. Which a person would likely be doing if things have gone grid down & you have to move rather carefully to avoid trouble.

On the U.S. made engines, if they're two-stroke they likely have a catalytic converter built into the muffler. If you have welding ability then cut the muffler open and cut the converter out & reweld the exhaust.
It is a huge boost in the engines performance.
__________________
"A gun is a tool" .....Shane.

Last edited by Wil-C; February 15, 2017 at 17:25.
Wil-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017, 17:48   #62
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil-C View Post
U.S. made I have no experience with, it might likely be better. The chicom stuff is not something you want to bet your life on in terms of it's reliability.

14 miles & you have a bicycle rack? I'd get a regular mtn bicycle, silent, no fuel required, and you can ditch it if need be & go on foot.
Anything with an engine if you're in a situation where you're forced to abandon your regular vehicle is going to attract attention you don't want.
Bicycles are silent, and can be ridden at night. I have a mtn bike & I practise with it at night, you'd be amazed at how far you can go without tiring yourself and how quietly you can move.
Not to mention it can handle just about any terrain and really helps move a load.

Add edit: I read your other post about the 90 miles. That is still reasonable for a bicycle, a couple days ride if taking it easy. Which a person would likely be doing if things have gone grid down & you have to move rather carefully to avoid trouble.

On the U.S. made engines, if they're two-stroke they likely have a catalytic converter built into the muffler. If you have welding ability then cut the muffler open and cut the converter out & reweld the exhaust.
It is a huge boost in the engines performance.
If something ever happens when I'm in Tucson, say 90 miles from house, I have enough stuff with me to make it home on foot.
Time, when on foot, or in trouble times becomes nothing really, it just goes away.
If it took me ten days to make it home, depending on circumstances, mama would be fine.
A bike with a little motor would allow me to get out of Tucson, or any city for that matter, before the panic and chaos kicked in for real.
That golden hour or two when people are still behaving themselves.
Out this way, once out of the city, not much around for miles upon miles except for stray cows and homes every now and then.
If things just blew up, would settle down and allow the initial chaos to just blow over my head, then ease my ass out quietly and be gone.
Done correctly, no one would ever know I was there.
And covering the distance would be a good step in loosing the extra pounds, getting back into humping condition, as in, a great motivator.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017, 18:23   #63
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 13,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wil-C View Post
.
On the U.S. made engines, if they're two-stroke they likely have a catalytic converter built into the muffler. If you have welding ability then cut the muffler open and cut the converter out & reweld the exhaust.
It is a huge boost in the engines performance.
Right up until it seizes tight from running too lean. Then all the bad guys that heard that extra noisy exhaust catch up to you.............

Tinkering with a 2 stroke exhaust system almost invariably requires commensurate carb rejetting .
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2017, 20:22   #64
Bawana jim
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17482
Join Date: May 2005
Location: west coast
Posts: 14,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
If something ever happens when I'm in Tucson, say 90 miles from house, I have enough stuff with me to make it home on foot.
Time, when on foot, or in trouble times becomes nothing really, it just goes away.
If it took me ten days to make it home, depending on circumstances, mama would be fine.
A bike with a little motor would allow me to get out of Tucson, or any city for that matter, before the panic and chaos kicked in for real.
That golden hour or two when people are still behaving themselves.
Out this way, once out of the city, not much around for miles upon miles except for stray cows and homes every now and then.
If things just blew up, would settle down and allow the initial chaos to just blow over my head, then ease my ass out quietly and be gone.
Done correctly, no one would ever know I was there.
And covering the distance would be a good step in loosing the extra pounds, getting back into humping condition, as in, a great motivator.
Bikes work just fine on flat ground but once the ground gets steep they will funnel you into the easiest path and make you a target. You ain't going to ride a loaded bike over the mountains here, you are going to push it and the guys ahead of you will be waiting..
__________________
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ---- Sir Winston Churchill-
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017, 01:55   #65
mountainmoped
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 16290
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: North Georgia
Posts: 101
Puch mopeds were made in Austria during the 1970s and 1980s. They have the old breaker point ignition systems which would be unaffected by an EMP. The quality of these old mopeds was excellent, replacement parts are inexpensive and plentiful. There are many performance parts available for them and a modified one can achieve speeds of 50+mph while achieving good gas mileage. Puch mopeds are plentiful and are easy to maintain. The Chinese bicycle motors all have CDI modules that could be damaged by an EMP. I have restored many Puch mopeds over the last 20 years and have come to appreciate their simplicity and ruggedness. That said I would hate to ride one through a hostile neighborhood on Friday night--not much protection from flying lead. The old Whizzer bicycles and Honda motorcycles should also survive an EMP. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puch_Maxi
mountainmoped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017, 20:16   #66
Wil-C
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17357
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
Right up until it seizes tight from running too lean. Then all the bad guys that heard that extra noisy exhaust catch up to you.............

Tinkering with a 2 stroke exhaust system almost invariably requires commensurate carb rejetting .
Depends entirely on the initial jetting. Most two-strokes are jetted on the rich side, being a two-stroke and especially when they're air-cooled.
I cut the cat out of my neighbors exhaust and he gained a little bit on the top end but mostly gained a much better torque curve.
More efficient exhaust scavenging via less of a flow impingement equals less contamination on the incoming mixture, even by two-stroke standards...
Now he's burning fuel originally lost to mixture contamination from residual exhaust.
Two years later and his engine is still running albeit some things have been replaced although that's entirely due to the chicom lack of QC.
Last time he had the top-end off I cleaned up the intake & exhaust ports & reshaped the exhaust pipe I made for him to a port match on the exhaust & he runs 45 mph+ with his bicycle now.
__________________
"A gun is a tool" .....Shane.
Wil-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017, 20:45   #67
TheOtherChris
Registered
 
TheOtherChris's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 2050
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: SE Idaho
Posts: 2,462
I have a little China Girl powered bike I have been riding for several years.
Yes, it requires constant fettling but it WILL power my 230# butt around at about 30mph at about 80mpg WOT.
Would I want to rely on it as a bug out vehicle? Heck no.
But I keep a couple of spare ignition coils in a faraday box so that I can use it to pull a small trailer around the area after the balloon goes up.
__________________
TheOtherChris
Proudly Deplorable
TheOtherChris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2017, 21:51   #68
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherChris View Post
I have a little China Girl powered bike I have been riding for several years.
Yes, it requires constant fettling but it WILL power my 230# butt around at about 30mph at about 80mpg WOT.
Would I want to rely on it as a bug out vehicle? Heck no.
But I keep a couple of spare ignition coils in a faraday box so that I can use it to pull a small trailer around the area after the balloon goes up.

That's the bike I've been looking at, or one just like it.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 00:37   #69
Bawana jim
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17482
Join Date: May 2005
Location: west coast
Posts: 14,960
https://www.bikeengines.com/

I like the noise and hot motor behind me..
__________________
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ---- Sir Winston Churchill-
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 00:45   #70
NFADLR
SPANKY
Bronze Contributor
 
NFADLR's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 7480
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Location thats the question ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Posts: 4,064
I swear I'm on a board with a bunch of loonys.

Great for carting yourselves around but what about hauling other stuff you need or the wife or wife and kid ?

Or maybe you have that issue taken care of ?

If this is your only BOV I see fail.

Even a small mini truck like one with a manual transmission and a point ignition with carb would do a better job, have more capacity than a motorized bike!
__________________
"Corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
http://www.highvibrations.org/archiv...1;ɪŋ

NOTICE: Nothing herein may be taken or construed as "legal advice", as such advice may only be offered by a licensed attorney, and there are none.
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 00:49   #71
Bawana jim
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17482
Join Date: May 2005
Location: west coast
Posts: 14,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFADLR View Post
I swear I'm on a board with a bunch of loonys.

Great for carting yourselves around but what about hauling other stuff you need or the wife or wife and kid ?

Or maybe you have that issue taken care of ?

If this is your only BOV I see fail.

Even a small mini truck like one with a manual transmission and a point ignition with carb would do a better job, have more capacity than a motorized bike!
Played with these a lot, only use would be to get me home.
__________________
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ---- Sir Winston Churchill-
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 00:51   #72
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Played with these a lot, only use would be to get me home.
yep, to ride on the back of my Jeep, just in case.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 00:55   #73
Bawana jim
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17482
Join Date: May 2005
Location: west coast
Posts: 14,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
yep, to ride on the back of my Jeep, just in case.
Ya with a jeep you need a spare ride real bad...

If you mount the motor yourself you can get a much higher quality bike.
__________________
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ---- Sir Winston Churchill-
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 00:57   #74
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Ya with a jeep you need a spare ride real bad...
260,000 miles, never broke down yet!
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 01:00   #75
Bawana jim
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17482
Join Date: May 2005
Location: west coast
Posts: 14,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
260,000 miles, never broke down yet!
You must move it with a tow truck... my wrangler isnt quite as reliable..
__________________
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ---- Sir Winston Churchill-
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 01:21   #76
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
You must move it with a tow truck... my wrangler isnt quite as reliable..
So far, just regular maintenance, oil, tires, and batteries, shocks are lifetime warranty, same for brake pads, been replaced a few times now.

Been real lucky with it.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 02:38   #77
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 3,906
When all else fails my GMC Topkick 6x6 with 26,500 pound GVWR and big Caterpillar engine will just crush the bikes, mopeds and little cars abandoned on the roads. Designed to maintain power line cuts and if a man has a map of power company distribution lines can go a long way only crossing a paved road on occasion. Can put half my crap in it too including a couple of small motorcycles for sneak and peak raids.
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 08:24   #78
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 13,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
260,000 miles, never broke down yet!
I'm with you ! I've had tremendous reliability out of all my old Cherokees. We'll see how the new JK does in comparison

I think a two wheel vehicle would be my last choice other than perhaps running chores within a fairly secure community ( and for that an old Honda Cub, CT or something similar would be far better ), and maybe ( just barely ! ) as an emergency one shot get me home ride, like a lifeboat on davits behind the main ride. Even the latter leaves me real dubious.
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 08:42   #79
rowjimmy
Diverter of Threads
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 21662
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Central PA
Posts: 11,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
I'm with you ! I've had tremendous reliability out of all my old Cherokees. .....
That straight six is pretty reliable. Radiators and water pumps come and go, but they keep running. I miss mine.
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 14:15   #80
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 13,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
That straight six is pretty reliable. Radiators and water pumps come and go, but they keep running. I miss mine.
And exhaust pipe hangers

Haven't run into a pump yet, but just did a radiator. Mostly precaution, but at 20 years old, the existing one was starting to show signs........
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 14:48   #81
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Mine is a Wrangler, a 2003 X model, auto, all the creature comforts, which I drove to and from work, 110 miles round trip every workday.
Think I've put it into 4 wheel drive maybe 5 times since I bought it.
It does 0 to 60 in about three days, so long as there is no head winds!
It does not like head winds.
This thing has never ran hard enough to break anything, except it is a deer slayer.
So far, got four of the darn things that committed suicide by Red Jeep.
But it brought me home, bent and bruised.
No tow trucks.
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 15:07   #82
Bawana jim
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17482
Join Date: May 2005
Location: west coast
Posts: 14,960
Mine is a 94 wrangler and I never go anywhere without telling someone. I was driving it and the rubber hose from the fuel filter to the carborator cracked and started spitting fuel all over. Guy stopped me as I was driving to let me know I was about to die in a fire.

Red light comes on but all the gages read good so I take it to the shop and the computor says I have a bare wire under the dash that is dropping some voltage.

Replaced brakes and steering. Jeep factory air has never worked in it and the gal that bought it new before me had paperwork she tried twice to get it replaced.

Door strap broke off and head of the screw went with it, wind caught the door. Rag top makes so much noise you can't drive it 50mph. Door jam rips my clothes getting in and out of it. Top leaks in the rain around the door..

Basically I am down to useing it for my dog when I take him to the park, won't go out of town with it.
__________________
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ---- Sir Winston Churchill-
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 15:22   #83
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Mine is a 94 wrangler and I never go anywhere without telling someone. I was driving it and the rubber hose from the fuel filter to the carborator cracked and started spitting fuel all over. Guy stopped me as I was driving to let me know I was about to die in a fire.

Red light comes on but all the gages read good so I take it to the shop and the computor says I have a bare wire under the dash that is dropping some voltage.

Replaced brakes and steering. Jeep factory air has never worked in it and the gal that bought it new before me had paperwork she tried twice to get it replaced.

Door strap broke off and head of the screw went with it, wind caught the door. Rag top makes so much noise you can't drive it 50mph. Door jam rips my clothes getting in and out of it. Top leaks in the rain around the door..

Basically I am down to useing it for my dog when I take him to the park, won't go out of town with it.
It don't like you and wants a new owner!
Have you been mean to it, spoke bad about it, not bought it flowers on its born on date?
Sometimes, divorce is the only recourse to a bad relationship.
Want to sell it?
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 15:43   #84
Bawana jim
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17482
Join Date: May 2005
Location: west coast
Posts: 14,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
It don't like you and wants a new owner!
Have you been mean to it, spoke bad about it, not bought it flowers on its born on date?
Sometimes, divorce is the only recourse to a bad relationship.
Want to sell it?
Hell I am building a trailer so I can haul it to the hunting grounds.

So, you do realize that bike will have a flat tire when you need it? Do you plan on carrying tire repair and pump, wrenches, Fuze for motor kill switch, rain gear,gloves, bike helmet to be legal when motor is running, extra gas with oil mixed in, bottle of oil to mix just in case, a sail to catch the wind when the cheap motor fails?
__________________
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ---- Sir Winston Churchill-
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 18:10   #85
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Hell I am building a trailer so I can haul it to the hunting grounds.

So, you do realize that bike will have a flat tire when you need it? Do you plan on carrying tire repair and pump, wrenches, Fuze for motor kill switch, rain gear,gloves, bike helmet to be legal when motor is running, extra gas with oil mixed in, bottle of oil to mix just in case, a sail to catch the wind when the cheap motor fails?
It would not dare!
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 18:15   #86
Bawana jim
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17482
Join Date: May 2005
Location: west coast
Posts: 14,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
It would not dare!
Well you could ride it on the rims, the japs did when they were taking the Philippines.
__________________
"Now this is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." ---- Sir Winston Churchill-
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 19:02   #87
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 13,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Mine is a 94 wrangler and I never go anywhere without telling someone. I was driving it and the rubber hose from the fuel filter to the carborator cracked and started spitting fuel all over. Guy stopped me as I was driving to let me know I was about to die in a fire.

Red light comes on but all the gages read good so I take it to the shop and the computor says I have a bare wire under the dash that is dropping some voltage.

Replaced brakes and steering. Jeep factory air has never worked in it and the gal that bought it new before me had paperwork she tried twice to get it replaced.

Door strap broke off and head of the screw went with it, wind caught the door. Rag top makes so much noise you can't drive it 50mph. Door jam rips my clothes getting in and out of it. Top leaks in the rain around the door..

Basically I am down to useing it for my dog when I take him to the park, won't go out of town with it.
I think this is really Andy hiding behind Jim's name !!!
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 20:11   #88
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
I think this is really Andy hiding behind Jim's name !!!
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 17, 2017, 22:40   #89
TheOtherChris
Registered
 
TheOtherChris's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 2050
Join Date: Jan 2001
Location: SE Idaho
Posts: 2,462
It ain't my BOV.
It is for moving around a secure(ish) community using very little fuel. It will pull a bike trailer like the kind you put little kids in.
It is no more susceptible to flat tires than any other bike and just as easy to patch. It carries a small packet of synthetic oil so I can fill it at the gas station (now) and in summer I can run the thing to work and back all week on a half gallon of gas. There is no fuse in the kill switch (or anywhere else). Helmet is not required in my state (though I wear one anyway) and neither is a license/registration.

If you want to use it to get you to your retreat, forget about it.

But as an extra vehicle for someone who doesn't mind fettling with it, they're a decent and cheap option. I even have two of them.
I also have two electric bikes which are VERY quiet but range is limited to about 10 miles on a charge.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
So, you do realize that bike will have a flat tire when you need it? Do you plan on carrying tire repair and pump, wrenches, Fuze for motor kill switch, rain gear,gloves, bike helmet to be legal when motor is running, extra gas with oil mixed in, bottle of oil to mix just in case, a sail to catch the wind when the cheap motor fails?
__________________
TheOtherChris
Proudly Deplorable
TheOtherChris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017, 00:15   #90
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 67949
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sierra Vista AZ
Posts: 13,900
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherChris View Post
It ain't my BOV.
It is for moving around a secure(ish) community using very little fuel. It will pull a bike trailer like the kind you put little kids in.
It is no more susceptible to flat tires than any other bike and just as easy to patch. It carries a small packet of synthetic oil so I can fill it at the gas station (now) and in summer I can run the thing to work and back all week on a half gallon of gas. There is no fuse in the kill switch (or anywhere else). Helmet is not required in my state (though I wear one anyway) and neither is a license/registration.

If you want to use it to get you to your retreat, forget about it.

But as an extra vehicle for someone who doesn't mind fettling with it, they're a decent and cheap option. I even have two of them.
I also have two electric bikes which are VERY quiet but range is limited to about 10 miles on a charge.

Know anything about this outfit?
Prices seems pretty good.

https://www.kingsmotorbikes.com/coll...orized-bicycle
__________________
You may find me dead in a ditch one day, on my knees, but I will be up to my waist in spent rifle brass.
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2017, 13:59   #91
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 3,906
Spare tube and a CO2 cartridge tire inflator takes up same amount of room as pack of smokes. Plus can fill with slime to fill small punctures as happen. Can fill them with Slime though know a lot of bike and tire shops that will refuse or charge extra for a tire filled with Slime. Another option is send them to Rhino Tire dealer for treatment. Till something better comes alon all our motorcycle tires will get Rhino limed.

http://www.rhinotire.com/

Have run flat rings in wife's big 3/4 ton diesel 4x4. Hoping to see real run flats for motorcycle use in near future. Will jump on those immediately as a catastrophic failure of tire on a motorcycle at speed sucks. Have a set of tire spoons, CO2 inflator, tube and patches on every two wheeler from 16 pound bicycle up to 800 pound motorcycle and can use them though back tires on motorcycles are getting almost impossible to fix without a lift.
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 09:45   #92
Slaughter
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor
 
Slaughter's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 73180
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,079
We built an unlimited pylon racer for Bob Pond back in the day.

Used 2 GTP Nissan engines running methanol. There was SO MUCH cross-talk when both engines were running that they had to hire an expert from Rockwell to EMP-harden both engines so they could both run. Yeah, even the high-voltage from ignition can screw things up.

Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19, 2017, 10:21   #93
C2A1
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 15514
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 2,092
What ever happened to this plane? I remember it .
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017, 07:11   #94
Slaughter
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor
 
Slaughter's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 73180
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
What ever happened to this plane? I remember it .
Didn't end well. Engine problems at Reno caused Rick Brickert to pull up, declaring an emergency. Attempted a landing off field and rolled it up in a ball. Fatal.

NTSB Official Accident Report
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017, 18:12   #95
Wil-C
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17357
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOtherChris View Post
I have a little China Girl powered bike I have been riding for several years.
Yes, it requires constant fettling but it WILL power my 230# butt around at about 30mph at about 80mpg WOT.
Would I want to rely on it as a bug out vehicle? Heck no.
But I keep a couple of spare ignition coils in a faraday box so that I can use it to pull a small trailer around the area after the balloon goes up.
That is the chinese one my neighbor has, always having to wrestle with it.

BTW: it has electronic ignition. No go for EMP.
__________________
"A gun is a tool" .....Shane.
Wil-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017, 18:19   #96
Wil-C
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 17357
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 879
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2A1 View Post
It is estimated that 5% of vehicles would be operational in some form or another. ( Remember those fuel rod cooling ponds, we looked into how many firetrucks would be available.) The thing with a running vehicle you will have a short time to use it before folks went nuts. One to two days. After that the govt will seize it for the common good (ie: their good). The nice thing about a vehicle is in year two, it will be EXTREMELY valuable for crop planting (if you have some fuel). At the last meeting I asked about military vehicles. Light vehicles:toast. Abrams and Bradleys maybe.
Now my teenage son made an observation: Why don't we get on of those kits to use the railroad tracks?
Speaking of the fuel cooling rod ponds. If my understanding is correct, the major danger of those is the pumps to keep the coolant circulating?

If so, I was thinking on this and was wondering something. If a nuke power plant essentially provides its own fuel, then could the plant idle down to a point where it simply provided electrical power to keep the coolant pumps running & whatever other bare minimum is needed and thereby avoid all the issues?
I'm not sure if the wording on this is correct, they're simply sitting there keeping themselves running at a bare minimum to avoid blowing up & so forth?
If this is correct, how long could they just sit there at an 'idle' state?

Is there a more viable technical description for a condition such as this and is it possible?

This being under a grid-down scenario such as EMP or a collapse event? Nobody around to tend to the plant, just set it to idle and leave it?
__________________
"A gun is a tool" .....Shane.
Wil-C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017, 18:27   #97
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor
 
FALaholic #: 13629
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Not far enough from Philly
Posts: 13,198
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
Didn't end well. Engine problems at Reno caused Rick Brickert to pull up, declaring an emergency. Attempted a landing off field and rolled it up in a ball. Fatal.

NTSB Official Accident Report
IIRC, it had a history of cooling problems. The engines were pretty high strung, basically race car engines, not real tolerant of overheating, whether coolant or oil.

Dang shame, I was hoping it would start a trend away from chopping up and wrecking warbirds, but no go.
__________________
"The ultimate result of shielding men from the effects of folly is to fill the world with fools" Herbert Spenser

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 24, 2017, 21:38   #98
warmshadow
Registered
 
FALaholic #: 79133
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Iowa
Posts: 83
Yes it will shut down car and all device. its an Electro magnetic pulse.
warmshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 25, 2017, 08:28   #99
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor
 
hueyville's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 74557
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Foothills of the Blueridge Mountains
Posts: 3,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaughter View Post
We built an unlimited pylon racer for Bob Pond back in the day.
Used 2 GTP Nissan engines running methanol. There was SO MUCH cross-talk when both engines were running that they had to hire an expert from Rockwell to EMP-harden both engines so they could both run. Yeah, even the high-voltage from ignition can screw things up.
Are those engInes magneto driven or electronic ignition? Have had magnetos cause all kinds of havoc when close to wiring bundle carrying signals between other devices. Tin foil and duct tape is the hillbilly answer. How do you techno guys "spot shield" wiring issues beyond metallic braid wiring loom?

Quote:
Originally Posted by warmshadow View Post
Yes it will shut down car and all device. its an Electro magnetic pulse.
Uh, no it won't. WW2 vintage Willys jeeps should be reasonably happy. Doubt steam traction engines will be affected, dang hated selling mine, lots of industrial age relics owned by collectors will be up and running very quickly. Can see getting a hit and miss engine set up really quickly with correct pullys and belts to spin a large DC alternator off an older Caterpillar diesel motor. Rectifying to AC better be part of you preps.

Some of us have spare parts and complete devices in Faraday boxes in Faraday caged rooms tied to huge halo and grid based grounding systems. At work have ~84 ground rods and 3,000+ feet of copper in grid ground system. At home have halo ground system as don't want super large grid system to feed impulse into my seismic intrusion devices and such. Have spare computer for my 4x4 Dakota and 4x4 Cummins diesel Ram in Faraday boxes along with enough fuses, fuseable links and such to get my stuff back up quickly. It's the odd internal fuses to subassemblies and rarely replaced relays that will screw most folks with modern vehicles. Smart cars and late models with LED displays for gauges, navigation control and such are hosed.

For the folks that can't use Google task bar, Survivopedia and such, just call companies like Mission Darkness and swipe the credit card before the RFID chip gets smoked. Have modern comm equipment, hybrid solid state/tube mix, vaccum tube and even crystal radios in protected environments plus spare magnetos for my magneto motorcycles. Generators are protected and fuel in place. Start one system at a time and work from most critical based on needs and work out. For me it is medical devices and surveillance systems first, way to power them long term second, comms, frozen food storage, cooking microwave popcorn, and vehicles are way down the list.

Unless away from home or work when it hits plan is to lock the gates then the doors and watch the whole dumb show play out. If away from home amd can't move fast, its going to suck and will be darn glad the truck has an overt rifle rated molle vest with full kit, two truck rifles most days plus suppressor(s), IFAK and compass. There are those times when no matter how well are prepped, if too far from them then getting to safety may be very low odds and thems just a bad break. Survive the first 90 days and the rest that are left will mostly be the others with enough sense to work together.

One of this weekends tasks is to start the footings for an Army Signal Corps three phase diesel generator am adding as another redundant backup to whole house generator. Prefer the whole house as runs off natural gas, propane or gasoline. It will suck natural gas till that grid collapses, then will likely go to gasoline as it has shorter storage life than propane. Soon as get the diesel properly installed its going to be in EMP and bullet resistant (to 338 Lapua A.P. as enough 50 bmg will eventually erode most anything) enclosure with 250 gallons of fuel underground. Have a propane kit to convert my 4x4 Dakota if need arose.

http://www.gotpropane.com/p4.html

First kit link brings you to is for Toyo 22R engines. Don't ride rice but expect will be a lot of those sitting around and one of the most bulletproof engines ever made. With duct tape and paper clips can keep it running forever. A smart man would have a 22R kit put away as don't have to own a vintage Toyo, they will be everywhere and parts scavaging easy. Hint, hint... Propane is easy to store doesn't go bad and between BBQ grills and other devices will be able to find all sorts of places. A couple of 500 gallon tanks buried in yard is easy, my propane vendor always has used tanks cheap and because pressurized don't need pumps to move. So EMP is not a world ender for an individual, inability to power your devices protected, repaired or that survive is most difficult part. Can even protect your solar and wind equipment with effort.

Been waiting for an EMP a long time. Planet Earth (especially USA) is overdue for a press of the reset button to get rid of all the liberals, anti gunners and idiots that don't keep 72 hours of food, etc. Have my license and tags current for sniping said creatures that try to cross the fence line. If I go in the mess, well as mentioned, we are overdue for a gene pool cleansing.
__________________
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017, 17:57   #100
Slaughter
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor
 
Slaughter's Avatar
 
FALaholic #: 73180
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Lancaster, CA
Posts: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Armstrong View Post
IIRC, it had a history of cooling problems. The engines were pretty high strung, basically race car engines, not real tolerant of overheating, whether coolant or oil.

Dang shame, I was hoping it would start a trend away from chopping up and wrecking warbirds, but no go.
Right0 on the engines. They were twin GTP Nissan engines tuned by Electramotive. Still sorting problems in the first season when Brickert went in.

Bob Pond had a large private warbird collection/museum and he was passionate about no longer cutting up and thrashing historic warbirds to go racing.

Museum at Palm Springs: http://palmspringsairmuseum.org/
Slaughter is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 21:03.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2015 The FAL Files