Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The FN Files

Notices

Old December 12, 2012, 21:09   #1
JTA
Registered

FALaholic #: 43258
Rhodesian Para

Hello all,

I just purchased a Rhodesian Para from Vermin here on the FALFILES market place. I picked the rifle up today, and overall, I am pleased with it. The only downside I noticed is that the bolt hold open does not reliably release the bolt when locked back over an empty magazine. I am looking for input from those more experienced here on the board to help determine if I need to replace the bolt hold open, and if so, is this doable without completely stripping the upper receiver?

Thanks,
JTA
JTA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012, 21:23   #2
LaConservationist
Registered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 42319
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA View Post
Hello all,

1)The only downside I noticed is that the bolt hold open does not reliably release the bolt when locked back over an empty magazine.
2)Is this doable without completely stripping the upper receiver?
Thanks,
JTA
1) What does this mean exactly? Does it hold the BOLT open? Yes......IT is doing what it is designed to do..... NOT recommended anyway.....You will loosen the BHO foot by doing this!

2) Very much so, just remove the screw, remove the BHO and replace.....NOT sure this is required until you are more specific....

LaC

"Any one who thinks he can be happy
and prosperous by letting
the Government take care of him,
better take a closer look at the American Indian."

- Henry Ford
LaConservationist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012, 22:05   #3
JTA
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaConservationist View Post
1) What does this mean exactly? Does it hold the BOLT open? Yes......IT is doing what it is designed to do..... NOT recommended anyway.....You will loosen the BHO foot by doing this!

2) Very much so, just remove the screw, remove the BHO and replace.....NOT sure this is required until you are more specific....

LaC
To be more specific, I inserted an empty magazine, pulled the charging handle back, and the BHO held the bolt back, but when I depressed the BHO to send the bolt forward, the BHO does not move and the bolt stays back. It is just stuck there. I got it to move once out of about 20-25 attempts. I tried two different magazines, and each time, the BHO would lock the bolt in place, keep the bolt back, and I could not get the bolt forward by pressing down on the BHO.

JTA
Old December 12, 2012, 22:15   #4
G3isMe
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 6530
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTA View Post
To be more specific, I inserted an empty magazine, pulled the charging handle back, and the BHO held the bolt back, but when I depressed the BHO to send the bolt forward, the BHO does not move and the bolt stays back. It is just stuck there. I got it to move once out of about 20-25 attempts. I tried two different magazines, and each time, the BHO would lock the bolt in place, keep the bolt back, and I could not get the bolt forward by pressing down on the BHO.

JTA
I think, at least what I do, the standard operating procedure to release the bolt is that should pull back on the cocking handle to take the tension off the BHO, the spring pops the BHO back down, release the cocking handle, and the bolt should fly home. The BHO is not intended to be pulled down to release the bolt, this is what breaks off the foot. The purpose is to keep the bolt open on an empty mag, not to allow the bolt to close. Maybe I am not really understanding what your intent..........
Old December 12, 2012, 22:21   #5
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
I think, at least what I do, the standard operating procedure to release the bolt is that should pull back on the cocking handle to take the tension off the BHO, the spring pops the BHO back down, release the cocking handle, and the bolt should fly home. The BHO is not intended to be pulled down to release the bolt, this is what breaks off the foot.

Yep... the magazine spring/follower is holding it up...just a it is suppose to the SOP was always to slingshot the charging handle on a full magazine or, with no magazine, retract the handle, allow the BHO to disengage and release the carrier/bolt or ease them forward.

Andy

(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012, 22:23   #6
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Originally Posted by G3isMe View Post
I think, at least what I do, the standard operating procedure to release the bolt is that should pull back on the cocking handle to take the tension off the BHO, the spring pops the BHO back down, release the cocking handle, and the bolt should fly home. The BHO is not intended to be pulled down to release the bolt, this is what breaks off the foot. The purpose is to keep the bolt open on an empty mag, not to allow the bolt to close. Maybe I am not really understanding what your intent..........
Yes, I never use the BHO to release the bolt, I always pull back on the handle and do the sling shot... However the Imbel manual does tell you to use the BHO.

To the OP.. If you remove the empty mag and then pull back on the charging handle does the BHO drop down? With the bolt removed does the BHO freely move up and down?

The BHO is simple to replace, remove the screw, pull the old one out, pop the new one in and replace the screw.

As Andy says, the BHO isn't supposed to release if you have an empty mag inserted.
Old December 12, 2012, 22:46   #7
JTA
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Yes, I never use the BHO to release the bolt, I always pull back on the handle and do the sling shot... However the Imbel manual does tell you to use the BHO.

To the OP.. If you remove the empty mag and then pull back on the charging handle does the BHO drop down? With the bolt removed does the BHO freely move up and down?

The BHO is simple to replace, remove the screw, pull the old one out, pop the new one in and replace the screw.

As Andy says, the BHO isn't supposed to release if you have an empty mag inserted.
Thanks for the replies. In the morning, I will try the method detailed in the above posts.

To def90, yes, if I remove the magazine and pull back on the charging handle the, the BHO drops down and the bolt slides forward. I have not looked at the BHO without the bolt in place. Also, I have not tried this with a loaded magazine (so that is probably the reason why this was not working out for me). Thanks to all for clarifying this for me.
Old December 12, 2012, 22:49   #8
saigamantx
Registered

FALaholic #: 62768
Any pics?
saigamantx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012, 23:28   #9
Ironhandjohn
Registered

FALaholic #: 11561
another method of closing the bolt that works for me is to dump the empty mag, insert a new mag, and bump the buttplate on the floor/ground. The jolt will release the BHO and allow the bolt to go into battery. I learned this trick from a 'Nam veteran I met years ago while we were talking about M-16s. This is the method he says they used when their rifles got really filthy, and his unit got the really early pre-A1 M-16s.
Old December 13, 2012, 06:25   #10
GMB74
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 7987
While this method does work, I would be very concerned about where your muzzle is pointed. If you get the right combination of worn/dirty parts, you could get a slam-fire when the bolt closes on that live round. If this happens indoors, you're going to have some holes to repair. One of my builds had a screwy hammer that would sometimes drop when the bolt slammed home. Surprised the hell out of me a couple of times until I figured it out and changed it. Only do it outside and keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction!
GMB74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2012, 22:21   #11
shep854
Registered

FALaholic #: 66614
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMB74 View Post
While this method does work, I would be very concerned about where your muzzle is pointed. If you get the right combination of worn/dirty parts, you could get a slam-fire when the bolt closes on that live round. If this happens indoors, you're going to have some holes to repair. One of my builds had a screwy hammer that would sometimes drop when the bolt slammed home. Surprised the hell out of me a couple of times until I figured it out and changed it. Only do it outside and keep your muzzle pointed in a safe direction!
Yep...Slam the rifle butt hard enough, and the hammer will be released--VERY few good things come from this...