Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old November 20, 2012, 10:41   #1
big44man
No longer lonesome
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 44868
It's getting too close for comfort

Couple of nights ago, just two blocks from me, there was a shooting incident that made me tighten my security blanket even closer.
Guy went to investigate noise in back of his property, surprises burglar, burglar shoots a few shots and runs off, guy winds up in hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Burglar still at large.
So now, my SiG 226 is even closer to the bed, along with my Surefire light, my .357 Magnum is right beside my easy chair, and any time I answer the door, day or night, the first thing that happens is my right hand takes a picture of whoever it is, and my left hand (I'm a lefty) is full of one of the two afore-mentioned pistols.
Don't want to sound paranoid, just more cautious. Never can tell these days.
NRA Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun. CCW Instructor.
big44man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 11:07   #2
martin35
Gringo Viejo
Contributor
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2939
The guy who got shot should be so paranoid.
martin35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 18:20   #3
hokey45
Registered

FALaholic #: 41407
Sounds prudent to me. A 12 gauge would be even more prudent, mount the camera on it if you like.
hokey45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 18:35   #4
EPC WN
Registered

FALaholic #: 65612
The ContourHD fits nicely on a pic rail. May help ya beat a case one day. Cheap insurance. Good luck sir.
Old November 20, 2012, 21:36   #5
M2MG
Registered

FALaholic #: 18912
Quote:
Originally Posted by big44man View Post
Couple of nights ago, just two blocks from me, there was a shooting incident that made me tighten my security blanket even closer.
Guy went to investigate noise in back of his property, surprises burglar, burglar shoots a few shots and runs off, guy winds up in hospital with non-life-threatening injuries. Burglar still at large.
So now, my SiG 226 is even closer to the bed, along with my Surefire light, my .357 Magnum is right beside my easy chair, and any time I answer the door, day or night, the first thing that happens is my right hand takes a picture of whoever it is, and my left hand (I'm a lefty) is full of one of the two afore-mentioned pistols.
Don't want to sound paranoid, just more cautious. Never can tell these days.
Just my $.02 for you. I suggest you not answering the door during the day and absolutely not at night if you don't expect someone to come over (think reactionary gap). Not sure about you, but anything, ANYONE, is selling door to door, I can get for myself and don't need to buy from them.

If the smiling face ringing your door bell after dark really is a bad guy intent on doing you harm, and you open the door, certain things have already happened.

1. He either didn't see or paid no attention to the "head on the pike" in front of the house. (Bad guys should look for clues like this)

2. He didn't understand the meaning behind the size 15 biker boots left outside the front door.

3. He didn't understand the hint from the sign in your window about your German Shepard liking cats.....by both fried and roasted.

4. He didn't read the note you left on the door: Dear (any name goes here), Mongo and I just went to pick up the shotgun from the gun store, be back in a few minutes, just use your key and let yourself in. Please let "Satan" out to use the bathroom, he has the runs after biting that guy. Be back in a few, Tiny.

5. And the worse, you just "lowered the draw bridge" for an unknown threat that missed all of these clues.

Some may counter with I want to answer the door so someone knows I'm there. Well....if that's YOUR plan, do it. I prefer to be back from the door so in case some does decide to try their luck, I have time and distance and a bit of surprise (remember...they think no one is home cause I didn't answer the door) to respond. I would also prefer to have the cops find a nice imprint of the bad guys shoe print on my front door and the damage to the door jam, than have to explain why no signs of forced entry as the bad guy is having his bad day turn into a much much worse day. Think Grand Jury inquiry.

Anyway, just my $.02, stay safe.

M2MG

What part of "shall not be infringed" don't you understand?

Who ever dies first, we're splitting up
your gear.

The tree of freedom grows the strongest when its watered with the blood of tyrants.
M2MG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 21:57   #6
Bug Tussell
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
Night Vision Goggles and a laser pointer on your pistol/shotgun/rifle/crossbow...
Old November 20, 2012, 22:48   #7
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
I remember standing in an alley in North Minneapolis early on New Years Eve one year and hearing a bunch of "pops" and looking over to the right and clearly seeing a few gang bangers on the next block over in the alley shooting at who knows what.. My friend and I quickly stepped aside behind the garage.

Since then, I haven't really run into any situations where I felt threatened in any way.

I have yet to find an area in Colorado or Denver that compares to North Minneapolis as far as crack houses and general open gang warfare exists in any real form or manor. Despite what people think around here, Denver is one of the safest big cities I have ever experienced.
Old November 20, 2012, 23:41   #8
stitcher
Registered

FALaholic #: 65879
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2MG View Post
Just my $.02 for you. I suggest you not answering the door during the day and absolutely not at night if you don't expect someone to come over (think reactionary gap). Not sure about you, but anything, ANYONE, is selling door to door, I can get for myself and don't need to buy from them.

If the smiling face ringing your door bell after dark really is a bad guy intent on doing you harm, and you open the door, certain things have already happened.

1. He either didn't see or paid no attention to the "head on the pike" in front of the house. (Bad guys should look for clues like this)

2. He didn't understand the meaning behind the size 15 biker boots left outside the front door.

3. He didn't understand the hint from the sign in your window about your German Shepard liking cats.....by both fried and roasted.

4. He didn't read the note you left on the door: Dear (any name goes here), Mongo and I just went to pick up the shotgun from the gun store, be back in a few minutes, just use your key and let yourself in. Please let "Satan" out to use the bathroom, he has the runs after biting that guy. Be back in a few, Tiny.

5. And the worse, you just "lowered the draw bridge" for an unknown threat that missed all of these clues.

Some may counter with I want to answer the door so someone knows I'm there. Well....if that's YOUR plan, do it. I prefer to be back from the door so in case some does decide to try their luck, I have time and distance and a bit of surprise (remember...they think no one is home cause I didn't answer the door) to respond. I would also prefer to have the cops find a nice imprint of the bad guys shoe print on my front door and the damage to the door jam, than have to explain why no signs of forced entry as the bad guy is having his bad day turn into a much much worse day. Think Grand Jury inquiry.

Anyway, just my $.02, stay safe.

M2MG
Excelllent two cents, I'd say it's worth at least a quarter! I never answer the door at night, but I do wait 15 ft away with a 12 gauge OO buck and a blinding light on the end to see what happens. I answer the door during the day with a gun in hand.
stitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20, 2012, 23:50   #9
JasonB
Banned

FALaholic #: 7430
Quote:
Originally Posted by big44man View Post
, and any time I answer the door, day or night, the first thing that happens is my right hand takes a picture of whoever it is, and my left hand (I'm a lefty) is full of one of the two afore-mentioned pistols.
Long toes or do you have your wife opening the door?
JasonB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 07:55   #10
wyatt earp
Registered

FALaholic #: 8158
Get yourself one of these as an early warning. There are other designs that you could put in the yard to monitor open space.

http://www.amazon.com/Driveway-Patro...driveway+alarm

I have this on the ceiling of my porch and if even a lizard runs on the porch it goes off. One night at 1:30 am it went off while I was on the computer, tv blearing, I look out and a guy is on the porch looking around. When I asked what he wanted said he had the wrong address....yeah right. My rule of thumb is if it goes of once probably a cat, more than once two legged predator.
Old November 21, 2012, 13:21   #11
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyatt earp View Post
Get yourself one of these as an early warning. There are other designs that you could put in the yard to monitor open space.
Good stuff, cheap. Thanks for the turn-on.
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 14:51   #12
big44man
No longer lonesome
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 44868
Just ordered one of those thingys, thanks for the tip.
NRA Instructor Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun. CCW Instructor.
big44man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 15:22   #13
GOVT1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 9433
Harbor Freight has similar "driveway alert alarms" pretty cheaply, and even though they say they're not waterproof, I've had a couple outside in NC rain for about months and they're still working with no issues.

http://militarysignatures.com/signatures/member867.png
GOVT1911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 15:53   #14
sweetwine
Registered

FALaholic #: 21594
Quote:
Originally Posted by hokey45 View Post
Sounds prudent to me. A 12 gauge would be even more prudent, mount the camera on it if you like.
Smile wait for flash
sweetwine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 18:25   #15
the gman
Registered

FALaholic #: 5179
+1 on the not answering the door unless you are expecting someone. Late at night/early morning, it may be the cops for one reason or another but just go ahead and call 911. Talk to the dispatch center and see if the cops are at your door or in your area on foot. If not, you now have established YOU took some preventative action in the event things go south and you end up defending yourself.

There is NO downside to calling the cops if you have your door knocked on when you ain't expecting it; you can inform dispatch you have a suspicious event and they can send someone to investigate. As already mentioned, you can begin showing you tried to do the right thing (in the eyes of the sheeple who would likely be on the grand jury) if stuff goes south. You can also let the dispatcher know you are armed so they can pass that on to the cops. I ALWAYS like to know that ahead of time as would most other cops.

If the cops are on their way, stay INSIDE with your firearm handy and keep on the line with dispatch until they arrive and identify themselves. Once you have made contact, let them know where the gun is and that it is made safe. They may insist on looking at it or even holding on to it during the call. I personally don't, I just ask they not touch it or follow me around with it. Other cops may arrive on scene and a citizen with a gun behind a fellow cop can lead to ugliness.

Your best passive home security friend is motion sensitive lights, the brighter and more of them the better. Crims HATE and fear the lights. A good dog, a trusted firearm and a very good understanding of the law in your area regarding self and home defense is about all you need. Take some classes on self and home defense if you need to, maybe investing a few dollars on the NRA CCW legal insurance might not be a bad idea or finding out if your home insurance covers you under those circumstances.

Never was there a truer phrase than "an ounce of prevention beats a pound of cure."

God is on the side, not of the big battalions, but of the best shots- Voltaire

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
-Alexis de Tocqueville
the gman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 19:44   #16
Abominog
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 372
I answer the door, day, night, whenever.

Most of my neighbors leave their garage doors open all day, good part of the night as well, and in summer often all night long.
They will live a long time, these men of the South Pacific. They, like their victories, will be remembered as long as our generation lives. Longer and longer shadows will obscure them, until their Guadalcanal sounds distant on the ear like Shiloh and Valley Forge. --- Michener, Tales of the South Pacific

Tempus Edax Rerum
Abominog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 21, 2012, 22:25   #17
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
Nog: I answer the door, day, night, whenever

Nog, Have you heard of the Clutter family, once of western Kansas? They answered the door too, if I recall. Jus sayin...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
STGThndr is offline   Reply With Quote