The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old June 23, 2019, 22:27   #1
K-fal58
Registered

FALaholic #: 72037
Mak 90 info and opinions

Hey guys a local pawn shop has a Mak 90 for for sale for 800.00 dollars. It is a non slant cut rear receiver. I believe it to be an early one. The mak 90 is stamped into the receiver but were it says sportster it looks almost electro penciled and is very crude. Has what looks to be a factory 30 round norinco mag. The top cover has a cheap scope on it with a thumb screw on the right side rear. Never seen one like this top cover. Anyway is it a good deal? info on that top cover or any details are greatly appreciated. Bore looks great and I think the front sight might be canted just a hair.
K-fal58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23, 2019, 22:54   #2
JoeCorrado
Registered

FALaholic #: 79802
Finding an unmarked dust cover shouldn't be too difficult. I wouldn't pay $800 at a pawnshop for one. I would offer $600 cash and see what they say. Cash always talks at pawn shops.
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019, 08:29   #3
Southern 7.62
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
Depends how bad you want a Chinese AK. Personally I wouldn't pay that much. I'd keep saving for a Polytech Legend series or Norinco spiker. But that's just me.
Southern 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019, 10:43   #4
pre1989
Registered

FALaholic #: 76523
The fact that it takes normal stocks is a plus ..But unless brand new in box still in bag it is not even close to 800 ..700 would be my max ....

The only models of the MAK that are worth a bit ( in non milled guns that is ...)

1. The very early caught in ban ones ie type 56 sporters that were crudly de banned as these esp the UF ones can be a little easier to deal with in de ban and are closer to the org 56s
2. The Canadian ones ie the 18 or 19inch barrel models that were re imported from there they can go for a bit

Remember to properly de ban you are looking at a bit of money esp for a proper china stock ( like 100-200 bucks for a wood stock 300+ for a side folder ) ....Will be cheeper to use USA made but ....

The mag is worth 30-40 bucks at most fyi

I would offer 700 and see what they say ..out the door that is
pre1989 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019, 12:34   #5
K-fal58
Registered

Yeah the guy is being a tool. I offered 650.00 cash out the door and he came back with 750.00.I am really just looking for a project gun to work on. I would not have even gone in there if the gun shop up the street still had the used saiga Ak 74 in the hunting stock for 550.00. I love putting those things back right. I would weldup the holes change gas block,front sight and some arsenal furniture. That Carolina shooters conversion is for noobs and in my opinion make the gun look cheap.
Old June 24, 2019, 12:41   #6
K-fal58
Registered

All I really want it for is to shoot the piss out off. I was going to turn it into a arsenal 107 cr profile. My arsenal SLR 's have become glorified safe queens.
Old June 24, 2019, 14:16   #7
JoeCorrado
Registered

FALaholic #: 79802
Just keep an eye on it and keep cash at the ready. And talk to a different person if at all possible. I bet he'll be willing to deal before too long.
JoeCorrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24, 2019, 17:31   #8
K-fal58
Registered

Yeah Joe I am kind of thinking along those lines too.I will give it 3 weeks and go back and see if it's still there.
Old July 03, 2019, 02:30   #9
K-fal58
Registered

Update: Ended up getting a Norinco Nhm 91 at another shop. Square back receiver and welded muzzle cover.Orginal box with everything . Never fired by orginal buyer and placed on a shelf for 28 years. Got it for 900.00 bucks out the door.
I do have a question. Can I put Rpk furniture on it? I know the stock will fit with a little sanding but I am not sure about the lower hand guard? It looks like it has a normal retainer and not squared off. I have access to a Romainan stock set but don't want to spend the money if hand guards won't fit.
Old July 03, 2019, 08:53   #10
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Personally, I wouldn't buy a chinese AK. Too limited.

You can buy factory Bulgarian one for a lot less than modifying a chicom.

Nothing wrong with Chinese quality, it's just they are all AK pattern, not AKM and not 100 series and nothing but chinese and some early Yugo will fit. Buy a 100 series SLR 104 or 107 and you've got nothing to modify. (Well, I usually clean up the trigger and put on an ultimak rail.)

You can modify euro furniture for the NHM or Mak. The 1.5mm walls require reducing the stock tenon- also the tang is longer. Lot of hand fitting but it can be done.

Same on the handguard - narrower tenon and reshape the handguard support area.

I've done a couple as Tabuk types. Started as a NHM91
Old July 03, 2019, 10:11   #11
Blackford Oakes
Registered

FALaholic #: 82638
Mark is spot-on about the Chinese AKs being limited as to how you can modify them, however, if you are looking just to de-ban the rifle and bring it close to Type 56 form, it's a fun project that can yield a very high quality, hard use, and beautiful rifle. Below is a photo of a MAK-90 that I picked up for around $600 before the de-banning process. I spent about $80 on the stock, $60 or so on the grip/ferule, about $10 on the shellac to match the grip to the rest of the furniture and around $30 for the Bulgarian front sight with the cleaning rod retaining fangs. The Bulgarian FS is not correct, however.

MAKs really peaked in price last year, but have come down a little since. I think that if you got him down to $700, that is a fair price for a high quality AK pattern rifle.

Blackford Oakes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2019, 20:19   #12
Southern 7.62
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
Very nice looking MAK there Blackford Oakes.
Southern 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 04, 2019, 03:57   #13
K-fal58
Registered

Thankyou Mark and Balckford for the info. I have 2 74 saiga 's I put back to ak profile. I have a arsenal 107cr I bought used a month ago with the jmak rail installed in Florda. As for a Arsenal 104 people in my neck of the woods want stuped money for them. I bought both the saiga 74 sporters a year ago for 700.00 each. They seem to be getting harder and harder to find. I wanted a project gun to fool with so I don't mind the hand fitting.
Old July 05, 2019, 04:31   #14
obertmart
Registered

FALaholic #: 82708
Quote:

Nothing wrong with Chinese quality, it's just they are all AK pattern, not AKM and not 100 series and nothing but chinese and some early Yugo will fit. Buy a 100 series SLR 104 or 107 and you've got nothing to modify. (Well, I usually clean up the trigger and put on an ultimak rail.)

You can modify euro furniture for the NHM or Mak. The 1.5mm walls require reducing the stock tenon- also the tang is longer. Lot of hand fitting but it can be done. I read a research about gun control of this model at https://edubirdie.com/argumentative-essay-writing-service. They have argumentative opinion.

I know they produced (or are producing now?) a modification for hunting. It's working like a single rifle. What do you think about this?
obertmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2019, 16:01   #15
K.O.A.M.
Registered

FALaholic #: 8025
I have two that I have been very happy with, but I haven't tried (and don't plan on) to switch anything away from Chinese configuration. I swapped the trigger groups with Tapco ones, swapped pistons, and have several Magpul mags for 922(r) purposes. They both shoot great.

If I wanted to go modern, I'd go with one of the Arsenals.
Old July 05, 2019, 16:18   #16
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 6598
From everything I read, why would you swap trigger groups from Chinese stock to TAPCO? I'm currently waiting for my MAK 90 to get here and the trigger is supposedly one of the best ever made on a factory rifle. TAPCO is still casting all their stuff, correct?
Old July 05, 2019, 16:19   #17
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post

You can modify euro furniture for the NHM or Mak. The 1.5mm walls require reducing the stock tenon- also the tang is longer. Lot of hand fitting but it can be done.

That thing is stupid good looking GP! What is the barrel on it from? I recognize the flash hider - same one I have on my PSL.
Old July 05, 2019, 17:18   #18
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresere View Post
From everything I read, why would you swap trigger groups from Chinese stock to TAPCO? I'm currently waiting for my MAK 90 to get here and the trigger is supposedly one of the best ever made on a factory rifle. TAPCO is still casting all their stuff, correct?
Some people still worry about 922r...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 05, 2019, 17:24   #19
andresere
Master of Gunnery
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ftierson View Post
Some people still worry about 922r...

Forrest
I was wondering that after I posted.
Old July 05, 2019, 20:27   #20
Story
Registered

FALaholic #: 7638
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-fal58 View Post
Can I put Rpk furniture on it? I know the stock will fit with a little sanding but I am not sure about the lower hand guard? It looks like it has a normal retainer and not squared off. I have access to a Romainan stock set but don't want to spend the money if hand guards won't fit.
Yes, but you have to WECSOG the rear of the lower handguard with a dremel, file and sand paper to fit the narrower 'shelf' (created by the thicker MAK receiver walls). 2 x .6mm worth, about.

Also, you'll have to drill the front retainer for the cleaning rod hole - as I recollect, those were not finished at the factory.

Then you'll want a Bulgarian front sight & RPK cleaning rod.
Story is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 08, 2019, 01:46   #21
fussbudget
Registered

FALaholic #: 81806
Found 2 MAKs at a gun show earlier this month and the Milled gun was $1300 and the stamped gun was $1000.
Both looked unfired and very clean.
I didn't have enough money on me or I would have tried to work a deal on both of them. Don't think I would have gone over $700 a piece for them.
Great rifles tho'.
fussbudget is offline   Reply With Quote