The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > The Sharper Side

Notices

Old May 18, 2019, 08:22   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Talk to me about knives

Are the higher dollar knives worth the money? Is a Randall worth $500 more than a Buck? First knife I ever bought was an Old timer folder for work and I still have it. Cost me $10 new and served me well but was too big and too hard to open and close.

I bet most of you guys have a drawer full of knives just like I do but none of mine are high dollar. If you wanted to pick the best for the money then what's your choice?
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 09:00   #2
Redoubt
Gunnin'
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 82243
I think price is relative.
My carry knife is a benchmade wood north fork.
But at work things get pretty dirty so then its a cheap CRKT.

When out hunting or fishing I carry a Winkler Blue ridge hunter or a Everycarry.
Ive collected a handful of Winklers and they aren't cheap. But like anything else its a investment.
And I can tell how a good knife trumps a cheap one just by how they keep an edge.
Old May 18, 2019, 18:28   #3
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 216
Best price vs performance for most would be to me ESEE, Becker, and Busse's Swamp Rat and SYKCO lines in SR101 steel (the hard bit with the last two is availabilty - they are mostly not off the shelf). There is very very little you can't accomplish in life with a knife from any of these and all are under $200US, most closer to $100US.
(Jiminy Christmas, did I just recommend a 'yota?!!??)
Andy the Aussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 18:58   #4
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
I carry Al Mar and older Spyderco folders.

Fixed blades are my own or from Custom makers.

200.00 buys a lot of good steel.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 19:39   #5
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I’ve used three “cheap” knives since 2000...two CRKTs and a Kershaw. Still have and carry them and they’ve all rendered good service, especially for the money.

I do have a Randall No 14 Border Patrol that was a gift from a friend and while I wouldn’t be afraid to use/carry it, it’s a bit on the large side to be practical. It’s a hell of a knife and I like it but had it not been a gift, I don’t think I would’ve spent $500+ on it as I don’t really collect knives. It’s an extremely nice and well built knife though.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!” -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2019, 20:02   #6
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
I cannot survive without a Kershaw Scallion in my pocket.

$8 victorinox paring knives by the dozen in the kitchen

Myerchin with spike on boats.

Dive knife is a titanium folder.

Field knife is a blunt tip truly stainless Japanese fixed blade.

The large Bokers, kershaws, benchmades sit in drawers unless a unique occasion calls for one.

I’m on my fourth Scallion.
Old May 18, 2019, 21:27   #7
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
I cannot survive without a Kershaw Scallion in my pocket.

$8 victorinox paring knives by the dozen in the kitchen

Myerchin with spike on boats.

Dive knife is a titanium folder.

Field knife is a blunt tip truly stainless Japanese fixed blade.

The large Bokers, kershaws, benchmades sit in drawers unless a unique occasion calls for one.

I’m on my fourth Scallion.
..... you have had more nice knives through your hands than you mention....strange thing is you insist on mailing them on...
Old May 19, 2019, 03:48   #8
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-Utili...TAS5BB915KYJJJ

Near endless sharp blades for under $25. You probably won't gut a deer with it but it's near perfect for everyday use.

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 09:39   #9
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxxas View Post
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/WORKPRO-Utili...TAS5BB915KYJJJ

Near endless sharp blades for under $25. You probably won't gut a deer with it but it's near perfect for everyday use.

Throw away blades does make for an interesting concept that can serve well for their intended purpose. But keep in mind that those blades were designed to be for light duty chores such as cutting boxes or banding straps. For more serious duty you might consider a less flexible, wiggly cutting edge. My brother loves the one that I passed on to him. Mainly because in his business he has lot of fiber banding and boxes to be cut when making deliveries.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 12:33   #10
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
..... you have had more nice knives through your hands than you mention....strange thing is you insist on mailing them on...
I thought those were collectibles, not useable knives????
Old May 19, 2019, 16:03   #11
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Busted. ^

"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 16:17   #12
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I can't see spending a hell of a lot on knives for collecting. Most expensive I have is about $90. Mine pick up legs and eventually replace themselves. I do like my razor knife. Gets dull and just put a new blade in.

I learned a few weeks ago that at all of the manufacturing facilities the company owns, no steel blade knives are allowed. Say whut?

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 16:57   #13
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I can't see spending a hell of a lot on knives for collecting. Most expensive I have is about $90. Mine pick up legs and eventually replace themselves. I do like my razor knife. Gets dull and just put a new blade in.

I learned a few weeks ago that at all of the manufacturing facilities the company owns, no steel blade knives are allowed. Say whut?

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 17:24   #14
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I use box cutters on deer

I save my good screwdrivers for assholes

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2019, 19:45   #15
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abominog View Post
I thought those were collectibles, not useable knives????
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Busted. ^

.....bastards.... !!!! I will however never buy I knife I wont use !!!!!! Now if I ever get around to using them all....that is a different question !!!!!!

All that aside...I am about to put one on the market that is almost unheard of or seen and should sell for enough $US to pay for the rear bar and wheel carriers on my new Landcruiser......
Old May 19, 2019, 20:26   #16
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

I'm about to let go of the two fave Busse-kin knives for the same reason I sold that NOS New Zealand FAL kit with matching numbers AND matching wood serials - I can't use these perfect/new 'Custom Shop' outfits.

It ain't the money, but I just can't bring myself to shoot what someone definitely wants as a collectible.

I'm gonna let them have it. Then I'm going to buy something more utilitarian. I'm gonna get me some more Swamp Rats and at least a couple of knives by Terry's guy, Gary Griffin.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old May 19, 2019, 20:28   #17
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy the Aussie View Post
.....bastards.... !!!!
Yep.

Old May 19, 2019, 22:40   #18
Bawana jim
Registered

My hunting knives have been Buck fixed blade knives. For years my every day carry has been a Spyderco until the built in polymer clip started allowing the knife to fall out. Can't replace it so it went to the drawer. I have been carrying a Gerber auto knife with the tanto blame but the steel clip catches on thinks and wears holes in my shirts. It's too heavy too.

I am going to buy a new knife but I want something of good steel and quality that makes for a good resale when I die. I have been seeing some nice Randall knives for sale and they seem to hold their value. Everything isn't just about money, the knife should be a good perforner. My Bucks are great knives but won't hold their value.

So I look to you guys for ideas and you thought on knives.
Old May 19, 2019, 23:03   #19
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

I really want Buck’s factory automatic.

But I want the lightweight with the pocket clip too.

Old May 20, 2019, 00:54   #20
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee View Post
Throw away blades does make for an interesting concept that can serve well for their intended purpose. But keep in mind that those blades were designed to be for light duty chores such as cutting boxes or banding straps. For more serious duty you might consider a less flexible, wiggly cutting edge. My brother loves the one that I passed on to him. Mainly because in his business he has lot of fiber banding and boxes to be cut when making deliveries.
You obviously have no knowledge on which you speak! At about 1.375" of exposed length this is a very non-flexible non-wiggly blade! As for usage WTH are you doing with your EDC everyday, butchering bison? I cut tile, drywall, cement board, plastic packaging and cardboard boxes and whatever else comes up. The fiber banding I just bite through with my teeth! It's not pretty but it works and it is always sharp!

Old May 20, 2019, 10:49   #21
Uriah Lee
Registered

FALaholic #: 81151
Stand easy. For the cutting chores you listed, one of those disposable blades would do the job. My experience with them was less than what my expectations were. My preference is to a more robustly constructed knife. My EDC choice does indeed require heavier usage, although not so much now after retirement. EDC choices are a personal thing for each individual based on their own needs. I did not intend to denigrate you or your choice. My intent was to only express my own experiences with them. Carry on.
Uriah Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20, 2019, 18:36   #22
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
My EDC is a Buck Deuce. For those who don't know what that is; it is a small twin blade pen knife. It opens boxes, cuts string, rope, and zip ties just fine. My job doesn't really require much more than that, and my knife fighting skills aren't nearly as good as my running away skills...so, no need for anything tactical.

What I keep in my hunting pack are a couple Kershaw folders, a couple Gerber fixed blades, a Case fixed blade...and on my hip is a new custom built fixed blade (a gift from my friend Roy Walker of Walker Knives). Why so many? Well, the stag handled Case fixed blade was my dad's...So, it comes along with every hunt no matter what. The new custom knife will likely replace one or a couple of my others, but I haven't decided which one(s) yet.

The real reason I carry multiples is that elk are big tough animals. When I dull a knife while skinning and boning, I like to move on to a new knife rather than take the time to clean up the blade. There is plenty of time to properly clean and sharpen the knives back in camp. Plus, the meat gets broken down quicker, and gets packed out quicker....Thus, getting on ice quicker...Which is paramount to good tasting elk.

And; for the record, I do carry a pull through knife sharpener as well. We do occasionally get multiple animals down at the same time.
Old May 20, 2019, 22:02   #23
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uriah Lee View Post
Stand easy. For the cutting chores you listed, one of those disposable blades would do the job. My experience with them was less than what my expectations were. My preference is to a more robustly constructed knife. My EDC choice does indeed require heavier usage, although not so much now after retirement. EDC choices are a personal thing for each individual based on their own needs. I did not intend to denigrate you or your choice. My intent was to only express my own experiences with them. Carry on.
Stand back, you bring no useful information!

Old May 21, 2019, 00:44   #24
Bawana jim
Registered

I bought the Gerber because it' opens with one hand and will cut a seat belt right quick. It has a solid end you could bust out a car windshield and a handle that makes for a firm grip. I figure I will get into a car accident long before I would ever need a fighting knife. In my travels I have come up on accidents that I had no way to break the glass to get folks out.

The Gerber was a good choice when I traveled a lot.

Those Randall knives are really calling me. Not as a edc but a well made good knife with a name for quality. $500 to $600 is a lot of money for a knife, I could buy 10 Buck knives for that amount.
Old May 21, 2019, 06:33   #25
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Just buy a Randall Made knife that suits you.
Use and enjoy it for the rest of your time.

I had my 4 personal Randall's for sale on my gunshow table last weekend and sold one, my Model 14 for $500.
Still have older Model 1 and Model 15 for sale at $500 each.
Also Model 18 with walking staff / spear for $750 (might keep this one).
PM if interested.

Carlos Castenada
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2019, 12:13   #26
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Custom knives are like custom AR15s. Most people (including me) arent skilled enough that we get any special advantage from them. Pride of ownership for a hand made object will always justify paying more for such things.

There are lots of affordable knives made of good steels like s30v now. My EDC is a cheap Smith And Wesson chinese assisted folder from WalMart. When it comes to shealth knives I prefer something no thicker on the spine than 1/8in. Not sure what these people who buy Becker BK9s are doing with them. Such knives arent very useful for skinning and whitling, and if I want to chop down a tree I have a Poulan chainsaw and a hatchet.
Old May 25, 2019, 17:57   #27
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
Just buy a Randall Made knife that suits you.
Use and enjoy it for the rest of your time.

I had my 4 personal Randall's for sale on my gunshow table last weekend and sold one, my Model 14 for $500.
Still have older Model 1 and Model 15 for sale at $500 each.
Also Model 18 with walking staff / spear for $750 (might keep this one).
PM if interested.
Thanks for the offer, right now I am leaning toward a friends Randall and may trade him out of it.
Old May 27, 2019, 14:09   #28
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
For the past year or so I've carried a Kershaw 'Amplitude' flipper with a 2.5" blade. A 2.5" blade doesn't create a problem in places that are concerned about such things. I have a 'Blur' on standby, however.

I have two TOPS sheath knives, their "Brothers of Bushcraft" and the pukko, both in carbon steel. Great knives and extremely rugged. Price was reasonable. Use the pukko daily around the place.

The demands I have using a blade just aren't to where I feel I need a $400/$500 knife. I'd never buy anything I was hesitant to use, and loosing such a thing would be some sleepless nights!
Whydah is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 27, 2019, 17:15   #29
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Buck 184 is an awesome knife.

If you can find one without a 2nd mortgage. Even on ebay they're generally around $300
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2019, 20:10   #30
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
With or without the sheath, this is one of the best deals going in a fixed blade knife, in my opinion.

https://www.varusteleka.com/en/produ...on-steel/56524

The truth does not require your belief.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2019, 20:18   #31
Exit308
Saxon/Celt
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
So from reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that knives are to some men what purses are to some women.

A fugging status symbol.

$500 for a knife?????
Why?
My ancestors used sharp rocks, and I am proof that they survived to procreate.

The truth does not require your belief.

"Fracking involves a two-phase combustion process: the first phase burns borrowed money to produce oil and gas; the second burns the oil and the gas." Dmitri Orlov
Exit308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 04, 2019, 21:36   #32
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

The new lightweight 110 made the trip to SD/MT/WY without any issues. The shitter in the plane exploded during a layover in CO. They got the HAZMAT guys on it pretty quick, so I didn’t get a chance to leave the airport and scrape any bowls.

When I got home I switched sides for the pocket clip.

Old June 04, 2019, 21:59   #33
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
14 y/o grandson stayed one day with Grandma last week. This was a real conversation - LOL.

Momo, do you know Papa has a real switchblade out on his workbench?

Yes.

Why?

It is mostly a conversation piece, but really he just uses it to open packages.

Can I have it?

No.

Dang-it.

PS - For the record, I always carry a 3-blade, 4 inch, Buck or Case folder everyday and have since I was about 5 years old. Always a good spare blade when another one gets dull, unobtrusive in the pocket, and easily replaced if lost. It does 90% of everything I need done.
Old June 04, 2019, 22:14   #34
Andy the Aussie
Dinosaur
Bronze Contributor

I remember my 14yo Godson calling me to the bathroom during a visit years ago. Needed some help to stop the bleeding (and conceal it from his mother). He was always allowed free access to my sharp steel box but one bit him !! We almost got away with it as well.....
Old June 05, 2019, 00:18   #35
Bawana jim
Registered

I still have my Old Timer folder that I used as a hunting knife. I bought the Old Timer steel to keep it sharp too. I was in my teens when I bought them so they are pretty old now.