The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reviews - products, services, and sellers

Notices

Old December 04, 2018, 15:29   #1
jimmbob
unreparated
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41144
Thumbs down JBtoolsales from Ebay

A while ago I bought a small BRAND NEW tool from JBtoolsales off of Ebay that was defective. No big deal, I just tossed it rather than the hassle of returning such an inexpensive item. Never bitched or moaned to the them, it only cost 10 bucks.

Fast forward to now. I just bought my second item from JBtoolsales I figured the first defective item was a fluke, ship happens and no big deal...WRONG!!!!

This BRAND NEW tool cost me 73 bucks and is defective ALSO. Maybe they sell seconds advertised as BRAND NEW, not sure? Something sure is up at that company. I politely requested a prepaid shipping label(fat chance, but gotta try) to return it and promptly got denied. I was instructed to send it back for refund which I promptly sent it back via USPS Priority with a tracking# which I supplied to them via email when I notified them of the return on the way. I included a paper with all the info, my name, invoice#, reason for return(again), and my phone# along with the item in box.

NINE days after the tracking# said they received it I still had received no contact from JBtoolsales. I Emailed them and asked what the progress is with my return. Their reply was they never received my return package. I then reminded her I sent it via USPS and the tracking # said it was received at 12:10PM NINE days earlier.

Next Email from them stated they found it and they gave me a refund of ONE HALF of what I paid for the 73 dollar tool. So that and the waste of 15 bucks postage sending it back to them thieves means I am out a bit over 50 bucks for a 73 dollar tool but I still don't have the tool I ordered

A good 50 dollar lesson I guess, no more business on Ebay for me. I heard they made their sellers stand behind their products they sell but apparently they do not. I contacted Ebay and they said there was nothing they could do and then hooked me up with PayPal who took the case and seemed quite hopeful I would get my money back.

Figured I was cutting a fat hog getting away with not paying sales tax on Ebay like I would'a had to pay on Amazon. Learned my lesson, No more Ebay and definitely not JBtoolsales.

sonsabitches
Old December 04, 2018, 16:28   #2
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Do they go by JBTOOLSALES02 on Ebay?

I bought a new motorcycle battery from them in January this year. This was a PC680 Odyssey recommended as the "best" battery you could buy for a BMW K1200LT, made in the US. And not cheap. Guess what, 2 weeks ago it went dead as a doornail, would not charge, anything. I always kept the battery charged, was not abused or driven in extreme weather. They were less than helpful, just told me outside return window, get in touch with manufacturer.

I should get AT LEAST 3 years of life out of a battery..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 08:35   #3
Bug Tussell
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2872
Ebay is the suk on buyers getting a defective item. Amazon is much better.
Old December 05, 2018, 08:55   #4
croftonaviation
Motivated underachiever
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64580
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug Tussell View Post
Ebay is the suk on buyers getting a defective item. Amazon is much better.
eBay is the suck for getting screwed as a seller as well.
Old December 05, 2018, 11:20   #5
jimmbob
unreparated
Contributor

FALaholic #: 41144
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Yep, that would be them.

Nice place to do business with if you like buying seconds that are defective
Old December 06, 2018, 03:02   #6
bouncer50
Registered

FALaholic #: 10039
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post

I bought a new motorcycle battery from them in January this year. This was a PC680 Odyssey recommended as the "best" battery you could buy for a BMW K1200LT, made in the US. And not cheap. Guess what, 2 weeks ago it went dead as a doornail, would not charge, anything. I always kept the battery charged, was not abused or driven in extreme weather. They were less than helpful, just told me outside return window, get in touch with manufacturer.

I should get AT LEAST 3 years of life out of a battery..
I own two Harley I bought two Odyssey battery for mine. I got over five years on mine. And your right they are not cheap. I just bet you got a bad one.
bouncer50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 03:41   #7
base704
Vampire Pilot
Contributor

FALaholic #: 14321
I've been riding motorcycles quite regularly for more than 35 years.
The three HD's that I bought brand new had Yuasa batteries in them, and I have had nothing but good to say about them.
I actually got 8 years out of one...
Impressive timeframe for a car, but even more so for a bike...

When it comes to important things (bike batteries) why even fcuk with eBay?

You get what you pay for.
"We are fast approaching the stage of the ultimate inversion: the stage where the government is free to do anything it pleases, while the citizens may act only by permission; which is the stage of the darkest periods of human history, the stage of rule by brute force."
-Ayn Rand, "The Nature of Government"

Last edited by base704; December 06, 2018 at 03:50.
base704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 07:38   #8
nwobhm
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

FALaholic #: 9580
Return/exchange procedure on ebay is BS. Made the mistake a couple times and ended up throwing the item away and calling it a loss.

There is a simple workaround......I use that workaround now. It's simple and uses their dishonest practices against them.
nwobhm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 08:08   #9
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwobhm View Post

There is a simple workaround......I use that workaround now. It's simple and uses their dishonest practices against them.
Do tell please.
Old December 06, 2018, 08:09   #10
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
I have had similar problems with eBay sellers a time or two (0.38% of over 500 transactions, there).

Using the eBay return system makes it easy and they give USPS discounts when shipping labels are printed through them.
They don't charge for postage until the package is scanned into the USPS system.

Many sellers offer prepaid returns on eBay.
Many offer returns but don't pay return shipping.
Many offer no returns.

I have to look closely to cipher their policy and proceed accordingly, based on the item I want.

There are still great sellers on eBay.
I sell there once in awhile, but the fees eat up the little guy.

I gave up on eBay for a couple years, but if a guy is into vintage trucks, vintage motorcycles, vintage stereo gear and an occasional gun part, there is hardly a better place to search out what I want.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 08:10   #11
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
When I eBay, I pay with PayPal because it offers a bit of buyer protection against shenanigans like this.

Example: I bought a GMC emblem to replace the piece that fell off my grill. It shipped for free. It didn't fit so I went online amd requested a return. PayPal refunded my money almost as soon as I printed the shipping label. From there I just dropped it in the mail back to the seller. Pretty worry free really.

In your case with this shoddy tool seller, I would contact eBay and raise hell with them over it. I get the impression that eBay tries to discourage seller behavior like this and might be able to get their attention for you.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2018, 11:11   #12
NHBandit
Registered

FALaholic #: 7986
Having been both a seller and a buyer on Ebay since 1999 I can say it ain't what it used to be. Ebay wants to be Amazon and do business with large companies who sell thousands of items a month. Feedback is meaningless. When I first started the feedback system was mutual. You could leave feedback against a deadbeat bidder as well as a bad seller. If someone got more than 3 negatives in a short period of time they were GONE. No more. I see sellers with hundreds of negatives still selling. Leaving feedback for a buyer is a joke. Your ONLY choice is to leave a positive or leave none at all. It was a great concept in the beginning. Now it just sucks.
Old December 07, 2018, 11:51   #13
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
I found that companies are more willing to act when you publicly shame them. For that, twitter is your friend
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote