The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Survival & Preparedness

Notices

Old February 11, 2018, 18:46   #1
mountainman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14702
Are bears repelled by.....

Human urine? Preferably carnivorous humans?
Old February 11, 2018, 19:33   #2
TedMckay
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76858
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
No, and I believe any human smells including urine will attract a hungry bear that associates people and food .
Old February 11, 2018, 19:55   #3
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Quote:

Maybe not.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2018, 18:33   #4
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Steve Rinella of the MeatEater tv show and pod cast claims he has pissed around game bags full of meat before to keep grizzlys away in Alaska. He claims it works. Probably depends on how hungry and how wary of people a particular bear is.
Old February 12, 2018, 20:57   #5
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
I've heard mothbolls. I guess with their sensitive nose,these smell really irritating. I guess mix some in with a dozen day-old donuts,see if it works...
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2018, 08:59   #6
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
BUCKSHOT, that repels bears, we have bears that love my 94 year old mother inlaws DEPENDS. THEY ARE ATTRACTED TO THEM.
Old February 13, 2018, 18:43   #7
mountainman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14702
I need tor repel bears away from a place I am not at all the time.
Old February 13, 2018, 19:17   #8
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
BUCKSHOT, that repels bears, we have bears that love my 94 year old mother inlaws DEPENDS. THEY ARE ATTRACTED TO THEM.
....before or after she wears them?
RG Coburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2018, 19:21   #9
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
....before or after she wears them?
You had to go there

Put a big ole bear trap out. After one has to chew his leg off to get out or become buzzard bait, I’m sure the word will spread

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2018, 20:34   #10
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Bears aren't deterred by anything.

Not even an entire gallon of pure ammonia poured inside of the garbage bags.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2018, 20:45   #11
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
Bears aren't deterred by anything.

Not even an entire gallon of pure ammonia poured inside of the garbage bags.
Well, wild bears vs urban dumpster bears are two different things..
Old February 13, 2018, 22:02   #12
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
while in Alaska, on the tundra, I can tell you for a fact bears are bears, omnivores, opportunistic feeders, they have no problem flipping over a chunk of tundra sod and eating a pile of human shit, although they do not care for the toilet paper
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 20:21   #13
Shoots High
previously "powderhead"

FALaholic #: 18717
Bears are repelled by lead.
Shoots High is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 21:54   #14
slavicshooter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74022
" In truth there is only one freedom - the holy freedom of Christ, whereby He freed us from sin, from evil, from the devil. It binds us to God. All other freedoms are illusory, false, that is to say, they are all, in fact, slavery."~St. Justin Popovitch

" Slavs are fueled by booze. I thought this was common knowledge."~lew

юродивый
slavicshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 14, 2018, 22:07   #15
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by slavicshooter View Post

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2018, 00:07   #16
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
You had to go there

Put a big ole bear trap out. After one has to chew his leg off to get out or become buzzard bait, I’m sure the word will spread
An authentic period correct bear trap will bring $2,000 from trap collectors. Had one big trap that value exceeded need to own. In 54 years yet to see a grizzly or brown bear in the southeast. Do have a cousin that has a huge fox problem. They are all over her yard and she called last night to say was looking at four in her back yard. Says she is sure in her neighborhood there are dozens and neighbors are all scared for their yip dogs and house cats.

Going to have to check value on red fox pelts ($50 to $100 based on quality last I sold any) and Maryland trapping laws to see if need to make the journey. She is a liberal tree hugger but cares not how they are removed as long as they go away. Her neighbors want them gone as well. If as many as they say a dozen pelts wojld make the trip worthwhile. Thinking about a visit, set a series of traps and sit up with night vision on a suppressed 22 rimfire as see four at one time would shut them down.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2018, 12:45   #17
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
An authentic period correct bear trap will bring $2,000 from trap collectors. Had one big trap that value exceeded need to own. In 54 years yet to see a grizzly or brown bear in the southeast. Do have a cousin that has a huge fox problem. They are all over her yard and she called last night to say was looking at four in her back yard. Says she is sure in her neighborhood there are dozens and neighbors are all scared for their yip dogs and house cats.

Going to have to check value on red fox pelts ($50 to $100 based on quality last I sold any) and Maryland trapping laws to see if need to make the journey. She is a liberal tree hugger but cares not how they are removed as long as they go away. Her neighbors want them gone as well. If as many as they say a dozen pelts wojld make the trip worthwhile. Thinking about a visit, set a series of traps and sit up with night vision on a suppressed 22 rimfire as see four at one time would shut them down.
Just watch the Federal laws dude...

transporting protected species interstate for financial gain is highly regulated
in the late 90s the Feds busted just a bunch of folks over this BS.
Three fur vendors were nailed here in MN, two were close friends
bunch of others who sold tanned fur at shows and redezvous were busted.

I have antique Wolf, Tiger and Lion "rugs" I won't even think of putting up for sale anymore

I know Natives get certain exemptions for finished products otherwise it's pretty hinky these days
Just saying be careful

Large period Bear traps run around $700 to $1200 here
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2018, 12:58   #18
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Ask Timothy Treadwell!

Oh wait....
Old February 15, 2018, 13:02   #19
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
Indeed they are, thing is all Bears dumpster dive, they love it.

One thing they really seem to enjoy eating is shit packed diapers.

I detest Bear with a passion, shot, trapped, poisoned them
one trick I pioneered was "spooling"

Take a couple feet of medium gauge piano wire, grind the ends into razor sharp points
Wind the wire over a tubing mandrel and secure the coil with cotton thread
smaller the coil the better
Then just back it in a meatball

Mr. Bruin gobbles these down, stomache juice eats the thread releasing the coil to pierce the digestive tract. You want the Bear to consume a few of these but the death will still not be rapid.

Did I mention I hate Bears...
Old February 15, 2018, 13:03   #20
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post
Ask Timothy Treadwell!

Oh wait....
G-d wasn't that fool an idiot huh
Old February 15, 2018, 13:17   #21
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
G-d wasn't that fool an idiot huh
Funniest self documentary I have ever watched!!!!
Old February 15, 2018, 14:25   #22
mribley
Registered

FALaholic #: 10860
What do you do??????
https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comme...ef_source=link

LOL!
mribley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 15, 2018, 14:36   #23
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Just watch the Federal laws dude... transporting protected species interstate for financial gain is highly regulated
(Trim)
I have antique Wolf, Tiger and Lion "rugs" I won't even think of putting up for sale anymore. Just saying be careful

Large period Bear traps run around $700 to $1200 here
I hear y'all. When I said need to check Maryland trapping laws a national check on current laws would have been done in tandem. Like out of state hunting licenses and such know there are lots of implications when crossing state lines. ("Honestly officer, I had no idea she was 14 years old, she swore she was 21..." As being drug out of a motel room with the cops only thing keeping her dad from killing you on the spot.)

I did check current selling price for pelts and are not much more for red fox than last I sold but colder climate up there might have better fur in winter than a North Georgia fox. $50 times a dozen pelts would be a money losing trip except that wife's favorite cousin and aunt live up there as made their living in D.C. Would be a trip to visit family and throw the trapping kit and a rimfire rifle in the truck.

Crap, might go to prison for bringing a suppressor to Maryland. Whenever have gone to visit in past our drive is 90 minutes longer than it should be because we cant take the Beltway around D.C. Have to do a major end run to limit exposure in Virginia and slip up though corner of Kentucky to limit unfriendly jurisdictions. Been to D.C., seen all the sights and like Paris do not plan to go back unless its a do or die reason. Could always show one of the family members how to set traps then how to rough out a pelt and let them make a coat.

$500 would cover our fuel both ways but would not risk jail. Turning 55 next week, not been to jail yet and if made it this long its no point in going now. While could possibly pay our fuel, a few fox pelts will not pay for lawyers, fines and compensate me for any amount of time spent behind bars. Worst part is after that have to check the box that gets your 4473's denied for rest of life. Nope, not going to take a risk but if can find legal way to help a relative will whack some foxes but if like varmints around here within a few day to a few months an entirely new lot of the buggers will move into the new open space.

As to not selling stuff, its a shame I didn't document all our ivory better than did back in 1980's and 1990's. Don't have much fur left except one coat of wife's but it has a label and documentation to show its legitimate. I bought lots of ivory from aging WW II vets and even Vietnam vets that have a receipt/bill o sale with date but nothing signed and notarized with documentation to prove its fair and squarely acquired. A fair amount is Alaskan and has beautiful scrimshaw work and worth large dollars but would be terrified to try and sell it. Have all my receipts and hand written records in my "estate files" so maybe lawyers that help heirs though the deal can save it but I am not rocking the boat and taking it to a show or business to sell. Looks just fine in the China cabinet.

It sucks there are now so many laws on simple stuff. Last night was reading a series of articles on the number of regulations passed by all departments during the Nobama reign. He pushed more regulations on us than all presidents combined going back from Bush 2 to J.F.K. combined. Last year of first term or first year of his second term he almost doubled the rules under which we must follow in a single year. Basically every time I went to take a dump during his tenure made sure there were no new regulations on which hand was allowed to wipe my @$$ with and if our toilet paper had been banned.

Before we run up to Maryland this time will call one of the U.S. Law Shield lawyers to see what rules have to comply with getting to where we are going (so can decide which states we drive through or around and tweaks may have to make on chosen route as state lines approach) and where we plan to land so that a random traffic stop can be sorted out in court if goes bad due to ignorant LEO. I am careful and our next trip to New Hampshire already plan to fly and check guns at airport as no decent way to drive anymore without risking prison or death on the road unarmed. The I-95 corridor is impossible up the east coast now.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote