Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old February 07, 2019, 20:28   #1
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Texas Question About Blue Jeans and Cleaners

I was thinking, I know the cleaners perfectly presses your cowboy cut Wranglers. Wife throws em in the dryer and they get little streaks. I thought about it and I can buy a new pair of cowboy cut Wranglers at the TS every 3 months for what I paid in having the starched cowboy look.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 20:59   #2
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Or stop looking like a cowboy.
Old February 07, 2019, 21:04   #3
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by meltblown View Post
I was thinking, I know the cleaners perfectly presses your cowboy cut Wranglers. Wife throws em in the dryer and they get little streaks. I thought about it and I can buy a new pair of cowboy cut Wranglers at the TS every 3 months for what I paid in having the starched cowboy look.
via Imgflip Meme Generator
Old February 07, 2019, 21:15   #4
fal762
Registered

FALaholic #: 66358
Somebody watching too much Urban Cowboy?
fal762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 21:30   #5
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Why you want 'em stiff? Are you a cowboy?

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 21:36   #6
2barearms
I really donít hate you
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Cleaners around here charge about 5 bucks to launder jeans. I buy 9 buck jeans at Walmart......I prefer my jeans to be made by political prisoners as opposed to being made by Mexicans working for anti gun zealots....

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stšrker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 21:45   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by imacoonass01 View Post
Or stop looking like a cowboy.
Actually I like having a new pair of jeans that look new. My wife throws them in the washing machine with with fabric softener. It sorta bothers me now. I wasted so much money buying Levis big bells from back in the day.

I have a decent belt and some boots. But my jeans meh. They sag and people here get confused with cowboys and rednecks depending on a sag in the ass.

Last edited by meltblown; February 07, 2019 at 21:50.
Old February 07, 2019, 21:56   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Cleaners around here charge about 5 bucks to launder jeans. I buy 9 buck jeans at Walmart......I prefer my jeans to be made by political prisoners as opposed to being made by Mexicans working for anti gun zealots....
Heck I'm liking 25 buck tractor supply wranglers. Just buy a new pair for dress cowboy.

I figured it out. My is putting surfactants on the cotton clothes.

Old February 07, 2019, 22:12   #9
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
All of oregon state prisoners wear blue jeans.
Bawana jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 22:14   #10
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
All of oregon state prisoners wear blue jeans.
Rustlers?

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."-Mick "Pappy" Connors

Old February 07, 2019, 23:05   #11
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texgunner View Post
Rustlers?
I used to have tough skins from JC Penny for Christmas. Mom got mad every time I came home and she had to patch the knee on brand new clothes. I think she was a little worried about me back when I was a kid. I wasn't allowed to ride my bike and wear shorts.

Old February 07, 2019, 23:22   #12
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Starching your jeans makes the Copenhagen ring in the rear left pocket more obvious.

I wear relaxed fit Wranglers that I've been buying on sale at Academy. I never bother to starch them, nor do I really bother with dress jeans in general. I just keep a not-beat-up pair in the closet for when I need them.

Just shine up your boots and keep your felt hat in good shape. The jeans are kind of an after thought in my opinion. Enjoy wearing them and be glad you aren't trapped in starched slacks.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 23:45   #13
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

My son, 37, says wearing a cowboy hat lowers anyone IQ by 10 points. His wife's family wear a lot of hats.

Old February 08, 2019, 00:05   #14
jeffrey
Registered

FALaholic #: 2073
What in the Hell am I reading? Professionally laundered friggin blue jeans, ironed, starched, scented fabric softeners??? Ya put a nice crease down the leg too?

Just ask your husband what he prefers.

When you get old, and your ass gets small, yer jeans are gonna sag there no matter how tight you cinch up the belt, Hoss.
jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 00:53   #15
STG_58_guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 65886
What is starch? Why does starch need to go in pants? Do your husband's condone this starching of pants?
STG_58_guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 00:59   #16
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Rustlers?
Old February 08, 2019, 01:06   #17
STG_58_guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 65886
Ya know, for just under $400 bucks, you can buy an oiled canvas jacket that has been distressed so it looks like you've actually done some ranch work from an outfit in Seattle called Filson.

That's a bargin. You know how hard it is to earn that look, like I have with my Carharts?

What was I thinking.
STG_58_guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 01:32   #18
Bawana jim
Registered

Some folks like to dress up like a working stiff but they only fool those who haven't done anything. Used gear doesn't make a workman, heck they might have bought it at a garage sale.
Old February 08, 2019, 07:13   #19
Ted Kennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77365
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffrey View Post
What in the Hell am I reading? Professionally laundered friggin blue jeans, ironed, starched, scented fabric softeners??? Ya put a nice crease down the leg too?
Well, Texans like their purty clothes and all. Here in Oklahoma I've seen Operations Managers show up to meetings with bloodstains on their jeans from the previous days hunt. (and I thought I was the only one)

I guess it's ok to like clean, pressed jeans, and worry about streaks in the laundry......I mean, you'd be the laughing stock at Starbucks showing up with streaky jeans and your man bun mussed up. Rock on, and show your Pride.
Ted Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 10:33   #20
davedude
Registered

FALaholic #: 20538
Been here in Texas for close to forty years and like all things cowboy still. We get those starched jeans guys around here pretty regular, it's different for sure but I think it looks sharp. Not for me however.
Some of the vaqueros around here take it to an art form. Looks real good when done right. Jeans, boots, belt with silver conchos, western shirt and hat.
Wrangler relaxed fit with teh stretch waistband for me. Standard duty wear. When it gets a streak it goes into the house chores pile and no longer goes out to work or church. $22 bucks at Walmart so no big deal. Wifey does run a hot iron across them but no starch. Pointy toe black Ariat boots only for church. Don't much care for square toe.
My super nice hand carved leather gunbelt(no conchos) got too soft to hold up my carry pistols. Went to find a replacement and got sticker shock. Dayum!
Ended up with just plain double stitched bullhide and a horsehide from beltman. No conchos, no carving. Really stiff belts make it so much easier to carry full size and the stretch waistband Wrangler jeans help with IWB.
Old February 08, 2019, 10:55   #21
01BIRDDOG
Registered

FALaholic #: 54639
Good reading for sure but is it true that you could buy a good FAL for the price of a pair of really good cowboy boots?
01BIRDDOG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 10:58   #22
1911Ron
Registered

FALaholic #: 17513
Well hell if'n you don't like streaks in yer blue jeans and still want the cowboy look just wear chaps!
Old February 08, 2019, 11:30   #23
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BIRDDOG View Post
Good reading for sure but is it true that you could buy a good FAL for the price of a pair of really good cowboy boots?
You start looking into real gator or croc and it easily would cost you that. Not for me. Went in a Lucchese store. I couldn't afford anything there but a pair of socks.

Old February 08, 2019, 11:35   #24
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedude View Post
My super nice hand carved leather gunbelt(no conchos) got too soft to hold up my carry pistols. Went to find a replacement and got sticker shock. Dayum!
Ended up with just plain double stitched bullhide and a horsehide from beltman. No conchos, no carving. Really stiff belts make it so much easier to carry full size and the stretch waistband Wrangler jeans help with IWB.
I got a cobbler to make me a belt. He sewed 2 thick pieces together with stiffeners inside and guaranteed that it would never sag even with a holster. Paid $80 bucks. Truly a craftsman. I'll never buy a store bought belt again. Put a big ole silver buckle with the Texas lone star on it. Silver tip and band

Old February 08, 2019, 11:38   #25
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
Starching your jeans makes the Copenhagen ring in the rear left pocket more obvious.

I wear relaxed fit Wranglers that I've been buying on sale at Academy. I never bother to starch them, nor do I really bother with dress jeans in general. I just keep a not-beat-up pair in the closet for when I need them.

Just shine up your boots and keep your felt hat in good shape. The jeans are kind of an after thought in my opinion. Enjoy wearing them and be glad you aren't trapped in starched slacks.

^^^That^^^
Old February 08, 2019, 12:13   #26
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Hipster look around here is “lumbersexuals”. Short hair or ‘man bun’, long beard, flannel shirts, skinny jeans, fake construction boots. Silly lookin’ mofos...
Not many cowboys in Yankeedom.
Larry
Old February 08, 2019, 12:33   #27
davedude
Registered

Quote:
I got a cobbler to make me a belt. He sewed 2 thick pieces together with stiffeners inside and guaranteed that it would never sag even with a holster. Paid $80 bucks. Truly a craftsman. I'll never buy a store bought belt again. Put a big ole silver buckle with the Texas lone star on it. Silver tip and band
My next fancy belt will have stiffeners in it. You got a deal on that belt!

Lots of belts offered with rough on the inside. Passed on all of those, only nice smooth leather lined inside for me.

Last edited by davedude; February 08, 2019 at 12:45.
davedude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 12:54   #28
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

I bought a heavy leather belt and two rifles slings from this company. I was very satisfied with all. Great construction and made to last.

https://www.ebay.com/str/HC-Wood-N-L...p2047675.l2563

Old February 08, 2019, 13:07   #29
Bawana jim
Registered

I don't wear a firearm outside the pants so I end up buying a belt bigger than I need to carry my weapon. Same way with my pants, I buy one size bigger to make room for my weapons. For old men that tends to cause problems because a tight belt to carry causes discomfort. If you loosen it up the your old man skinny ass allows your pants to fall. So a good pair of suspenders hold it all up.

Dressed that way ain't much for chasing women but I figure an old man is more apt to be unlucky than ever get lucky. Youngsters can worry about the starch in their jeans.
Old February 08, 2019, 13:18   #30
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
If you loosen it up the your old man skinny ass allows your pants to fall. So a good pair of suspenders hold it all up.

Youngsters can worry about the starch in their jeans.
My son says I suffer from a condition called "no-ass-at-all". Heh, heh, I reply, well that's one problem he won't have to worry about with his big ass! (takes after his mom I guess... )

Youngsters may worry about the lead in their pencil too...

Old February 08, 2019, 13:41   #31
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
My son says I suffer from a condition called "no-ass-at-all". Heh, heh, I reply, well that's one problem he won't have to worry about with his big ass! (takes after his mom I guess... )

Youngsters may worry about the lead in their pencil too...
I fully expect young men to start wearing makeup to go with their starched jeans.
Old February 08, 2019, 13:48   #32
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Do real cowboys get tattoos?
I see guys up here in Michigan wear cowboy hats and boots. For the life of me,I can't figure why. Probably the most impractical things short of stiletto heels and mini skirts. Only people around here that actually use horses are Amish,and they don't wear that.They will wear pull-on boots,but of a much more utilitarian design.Round toes,traction soles. Hats...they'll wear broad brimmed felt or straw.Not the "cowboy" design.
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 13:52   #33
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
I buy relaxed fit Wranglers off Amazon for $22/pair - easier than driving down to the outlet mall in Dry Ridge, or Carrollton, Kentucky.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 13:55   #34
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG Coburn View Post
Do real cowboys get tattoos?
I see guys up here in Michigan wear cowboy hats and boots. For the life of me,I can't figure why. Probably the most impractical things short of stiletto heels and mini skirts. Only people around here that actually use horses are Amish,and they don't wear that.They will wear pull-on boots,but of a much more utilitarian design.Round toes,traction soles. Hats...they'll wear broad brimmed felt or straw.Not the "cowboy" design.
Cowboy boots got no traction come winter, you'll fall on your ass. Kid I went to college with wore them all the time and he was always sliding around, but they wore them on the farm, even though they didn't ride much. They're meant to fit a stirrup, not for doing a lot of walking around in mud and shit.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 13:55   #35
Bawana jim
Registered

I gotta admit I sometimes wear a cowboy hat. It's required at the old west shoots in my mind so I bought one for that. Then as I got old after working decades in the sun that the hat is good shade on the ears. Just the ticket for hunting Jacks or killing sage rats in eastern Oregon.

Never wear starched jeans, even new I wash pants before I wear em.
Old February 08, 2019, 14:09   #36
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
I haven't worn starched anything since I left to servitude of uncle sugar. I will admit though, a heavily starched set of fatigues does feel a bit warmer in freezing cold weather.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.

Women are dangerous. All warm, soft and cuddly on the outside, and berserker, Ragnarok crazy upstairs in the control room.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 14:30   #37
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

My daughter-in-law is a former rodeo barrel-racer and still has a big and varied assortment of spurs. I told her that I'd always wanted some spurs of my own (and have absolutely no use for them), so I could jingle around with the "real" cowboys around here, whom are rather plentiful. She assured me I could have any of hers that I wanted.

I bought some Ariat work boots a few years ago. They were the first pull-on boots I had bought since my Justin roach-mashers, back in '73. After getting the Ariats, I was stoked about getting a pair of her spurs. She, and my son, then informed me that real cowboys don't wear work boots with traction soles (too difficult getting into and out of the stirrups quickly) and that folks in the know would make fun of me.

So, I'm getting me some rough-out Tecovas "cowboy boots" before too long...Gonna jingle and jangle around the ranch!

Old February 08, 2019, 14:53   #38
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01BIRDDOG View Post
I suppose so. You can absolutely spend as much money on any kind of boots you want to spend, but a good pair of Justins might only set you back $200.

Quote:
I bought some Ariat work boots a few years ago. They were the first pull-on boots I had bought since my Justin roach-mashers, back in '73. After getting the Ariats, I was stoked about getting a pair of her spurs. She, and my son, then informed me that real cowboys don't wear work boots with traction soles (too difficult getting into and out of the stirrups quickly) and that folks in the know would make fun of me.

So, I'm getting me some rough-out Tecovas "cowboy boots" before too long...Gonna jingle and jangle around the ranch!
My first pair of boots was a pair of Wolverine Dura-shocks. I wore the soles off them three times. The last time I took them into be resoled, the cobbler couldn't believe it. I still have them for chores around the house but now that the leather near the sole stitching is worn out and cracked, there won't be future refurbishment. Best $120 I ever spent on clothing.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 15:20   #39
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

This is my belt I had made. It is standing up. Guy is just up the road. I may get another with a different pattern and put a regular buckle on it. The 80 bucks included mounting the hardware. He gets the strips from Tandy and works his magic dyeing it and sewing.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1637[1].JPG (99.3 KB, 112 views)

Last edited by meltblown; February 08, 2019 at 15:39.
Old February 08, 2019, 15:35   #40
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

That's a handsome buckle and belt Patrick!

Old February 08, 2019, 15:41   #41
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
That's a handsome buckle and belt Patrick!
Why thank you sir. Should last a lifetime. But it can be dicey if ya gotta runny stomach and need to unhitch it fast.

Old February 08, 2019, 16:22   #42
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
This is my belt I had made.

Belt
Gun
Cigs
Lighter
Whataburger cup
Spit cup
Knife
= I get it !

What's up with the condom on your desk in the top left
Old February 08, 2019, 16:32   #43
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Belt
Gun
Cigs
Lighter
Whataburger cup
Spit cup
Knife
= I get it !

What's up with the condom on your desk in the top left
I really didn't stage that except to pull the pistol over to weight down the belt. Also a bottle of Hoppes in there I notice. I can clutter up a workbench in a couple of hours.

Old February 08, 2019, 17:16   #44
davedude
Registered

Quote:
This is my belt I had made. It is standing up. Guy is just up the road. I may get another with a different pattern and put a regular buckle on it. The 80 bucks included mounting the hardware. He gets the strips from Tandy and works his magic dyeing it and sewing.

Yep, you stole that belt for $80 bucks! Nice!
When I first got to Texas in 1980 I noticed lots of "name" belts. Guys with names like "Shirley" had there names across the back of their belts. Don't see that so much anymore.
Old February 08, 2019, 20:30   #45
2barearms
I really donít hate you
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 13866
Quote:

Geezus Melt....you had to put those loser bastards from Whataturd in the pic....
Those are the same pricks that banned open carry in their stores right off the bat. Fuckem never eaten there since that day.

Was mich nicht umbringt macht mich stšrker
2barearms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 20:33   #46
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Whataburger makes some pretty damned good fast food burgers. Some people gotta politicize everything. More of that fattening crap for me I guess...

Old February 08, 2019, 21:23   #47
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2barearms View Post
Geezus Melt....you had to put those loser bastards from Whataturd in the pic....
Those are the same pricks that banned open carry in their stores right off the bat. Fuckem never eaten there since that day.
Fukc no. My wife brought it to me. I only go through the drive thru unless I gotta whiz. Then order at the counter and GTFO. Whataburger suXX for fries. I need to build a fence so I can feed a dog all that crap my wife buys. Even the possum under the shed is full. Laws vary in Tx for eating nasty chicken finger burgers.

Old February 08, 2019, 21:36   #48
Arby
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
My first pair of boots was a pair of Wolverine Dura-shocks. I wore the soles off them three times. The last time I took them into be resoled, the cobbler couldn't believe it......
I had a pair of Tony Lamas like that. Jet black, no fancy stitching at all. Rodeo cut heels and pointed toes. Very well made. I wore them for years, resoled & heeled them, repaired the leather when they got torn. Never found another pair half as good. Gave up looking.
Arby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 13:03   #49
marcosfal
Registered

FALaholic #: 72291
Quote:
Some folks like to dress up like a working stiff but they only fool those who haven't done anything. Used gear doesn't make a workman, heck they might have bought it at a garage sale.
This reminds me of something that happened to me about 15 years ago. I was hanging out with my girlfriend's dad and we went to go visit a friend of his at the Construction company office his friend owned. The owner's son approached me dressed up in brand new Wolverines, starched Wranglers and a pearl snapped shirt tucked in with a large belt buckle. I was wearing some worn Levis, Ely snap shirt and very worn in slip-on Wolverines. The guy told me, "damn, those boots look awesome. I wish mine looked like that." I replied, "give it time and after working yours will look the same." He said, "I just WANT them to look like I worked in them. I don't work out in the field." Long story short, he asked what size my boots were and traded me his new boots for mine straight up. My late friend came out and inquired what the son wanted and I pointed to my new boots. The funny thing is he wasn't surprised. He said, "shit, I should've worn my work boots. He's a good kid, but has never really worked a day in his life."
marcosfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 13:17   #50
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arby View Post
I had a pair of Tony Lamas like that. Jet black, no fancy stitching at all. Rodeo cut heels and pointed toes. Very well made. I wore them for years, resoled & heeled them, repaired the leather when they got torn. Never found another pair half as good. Gave up looking.
One of my closest friends is a life-long bachelor and has always had a penchant for younger girls. He dated one named Sunny for a couple years; a very cool young lady in her mid-20s at the time (Richard was in his late 30s-early 40s). She had some boots, made in Mexico, that were just awesome! All-black, very cut-back heels, and pointy toes (I believe hers had silver toe caps too). Gorgeous bootines! She had bought them somewhere just across the border. I wanted some like 'em! Well, maybe without the silver tips...