The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old February 01, 2019, 21:26   #1
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
My good deed for the day

This being the first of the month I went to my bank and with drew some cash from my savings account. My federal civil service annuity goes direct deposit to this account.

So I get home and open the envelope and counted the $20 bills. I withdrew $500 which is 25 bills. But there were 27 Jackson's. Recounted to make sure that I hadn't made a mistake. Nope, there was $540 there. So I drove back to the bank and requested to see the teller who had given me the money. I pulled out the two Jackson's and told her that she had overpaid me. She did a quick drawer count and saw that I was right. She thanked me and that was my good deed for the day.

They say that no good deed goes unpunished. So I wonder what kind of bad sh!t will happen.....

And so it goes.

The Honest Retired One
Retired Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2019, 22:15   #2
Jolly Rodgers
Registered

FALaholic #: 15882
The very definition of ethical behavior.
Jolly Rodgers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2019, 22:27   #3
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Integrity and ethics. Nice to see now and then.
Old February 01, 2019, 22:44   #4
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Good to hear.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 00:11   #5
Insider
Registered

FALaholic #: 1183
Good man, you saved that teller from losing their job.
Old February 02, 2019, 06:18   #6
munchoman
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 21848
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
This being the first of the month I went to my bank and with drew some cash from my savings account. My federal civil service annuity goes direct deposit to this account.

So I get home and open the envelope and counted the $20 bills. I withdrew $500 which is 25 bills. But there were 27 Jackson's. Recounted to make sure that I hadn't made a mistake. Nope, there was $540 there. So I drove back to the bank and requested to see the teller who had given me the money. I pulled out the two Jackson's and told her that she had overpaid me. She did a quick drawer count and saw that I was right. She thanked me and that was my good deed for the day.

They say that no good deed goes unpunished. So I wonder what kind of bad sh!t will happen.....

And so it goes

The Honest Retired One

She did not count it out at the counter for you did she.
munchoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 09:17   #7
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Was at a quickie mart. Gave a gal some money, she gave me $2 too much in change. She acted a little put back that I pointed out her mistake and gave her the $2 back.

I watch people count out change and when I see them start with quarters I realize they don't really know what they are doing. They are just looking at the amount on the screen that shows what the change should be.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 13:00   #8
oleblu72
Registered

FALaholic #: 29908
If you hadn't taken the money back you would have gotten a phone call from them after they took a count at the end of the day asking you how much money you received. I think they can narrow it down to the teller where the mix up happened. But good on you for taking the money back.

Mark
oleblu72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 13:12   #9
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
My good deed
I was visiting one of the construction projects in my AO yesterday and found an envelope in the parking lot. In it was one of the sheetrockers’ paycheck. I gave it to the project superintendent. Got a call on my cell from the guy who dropped his check... He was real happy.
Larry
Old February 02, 2019, 13:19   #10
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
You aparently anger the system of evil, when you do something good.

It ain't GOD, but somehow the bad guys send shit your way.

I have learned the hard way.
You just cannot believe some of it it, after doing the right thing. I always keep that in mind.
V guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 13:32   #11
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
Do the right thing!
Good on you Retired Bum!

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 13:34   #12
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
If they shorted you, would they have contacted you, would the onus of proof have be on you??

Good on ya though!!

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 15:38   #13
SPEEDGUNNER
Firearms Connoisseur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 43933
This looks like a good deed thread...

A month ago a girl at work asked me if I wanted two kerosene heaters. They were from here mountain house she recently sold. One new in box, one barely used. AND a can of kerosene. Being a scrounger I said sure, figured I could sell on Craigslist. I drained the can into my waste oil tank, took pictures, and waited for a cold snap. The other day I happened into one of my vendors and the girl behind the counter was lamenting that here oil burner in her house had crapped and was going to cost $11,000 to fix and with the expected cold snap she was worried she and her son would freeze with only a small propane camp heater to keep them warm. Guess where the kerosene heaters ended up? I even stopped and filled the can with fresh kero before I dropped them off.

Felt good.
And they roam the world at will."
- Robert Service
SPEEDGUNNER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 16:03   #14
Retired Bum
Registered

I have done my share of good deeds during my lifetime and have on occasion regretted doing so. Some people see being honest and ethical as weakness and will try to take advantage of that. Happened all the time in the prison and I am referring to staff, not the inmates.....

You have to be careful when doing a favor for someone. There are those who will never return a favor and laugh at you. Then there are those who won't return a favor and will have a hundred excuses. But the worst are those who will return and ask for another favor and another. They figure you for a sucker and will screw you every chance they get.

So these days I pretty much decline doing favors or offering assistance to anyone. But I am pretty much a basically honest person. I was raised that way as a child.....

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Old February 02, 2019, 16:11   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Cashed some money orders at a grocery store. Walked away. Noted that I was overpaid $100. Went back up to the counter and said

"I received wrong amount".

Manager said "once you leave the counter, I can't help you - it's your job to count it out."

"Ok," says I, "when your drawer is $100 short tonight, you'll know why. "

He got really huffy, but what's good for the goose, is good for the gander.
Old February 02, 2019, 19:12   #16
Nihonto Chicken
Registered

FALaholic #: 79627
Most young people today can't make change in their heads or even count. When paying cash for small purchases, I usually try to provide the correct change or else an amount that will return to me larger value coins and not pennies, like, say, providing $2.07 for a $1.82 purchase. If the cashier punches in $2 before waiting for the change and is then presented with the coins, he/she is completely lost as to how to make it work out.

Likewise, at the supermarket yesterday, I failed to get the advertised sale price for a meat purchase, two packages at $2.98 a pound instead of $4.98. In attempting to correct the error, the front desk manager got out her hand calculator and proceeded to completely eff it up, having no real idea how to accurately calculate the refund. After messing around, she finally came up with seven dollars and change. It should have been over nine, but I figured good enough and just went along to minimize the intellectual discomfort.
Old February 04, 2019, 12:08   #17
Cava3r4
Registered

FALaholic #: 6560
Quote:
Cashed some money orders at a grocery store. Walked away. Noted that I was overpaid $100. Went back up to the counter and said

"I received wrong amount".

Manager said "once you leave the counter, I can't help you - it's your job to count it out."

"Ok," says I, "when your drawer is $100 short tonight, you'll know why. "

He got really huffy, but what's good for the goose, is good for the gander.
good answer to that arrogant dickhead.!
I argued once with a manager at a culvers and the idiots would not admit to making a mistake, Matter of fact, they doubled my order and then doubled the mistake in my favor. I couldn't believe it.
Cava3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 15:14   #18
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
So Brother Retired Bum, are you single? Did you get her number? You could pretend you are Bezos and tell her you would like to take her out for a coffee.

It worked for Bezos, maybe it could work for you too.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 17:41   #19
Retired Bum
Registered

To answer the above question from Jarhead504, the answer is no. My life is fairly uncomplicated at age 73 and it is gonna stay that way.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Old February 05, 2019, 18:56   #20
yellowhand
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 67949
Quote:
To answer the above question from Jarhead504, the answer is no. My life is fairly uncomplicated at age 73 and it is gonna stay that way.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
A Southern Gentleman you are!

Even if, ya are a yankee.

It ain't the firearms they are wanting to be rid of, its you!
yellowhand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 19:17   #21
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowhand View Post
A Southern Gentleman you are!

Even if, ya are a yankee.
He only answered one question with a"no". Southern Gentlemen need the company of ladies too.

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 19:35   #22
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
Quote:

And so it goes.

The Honest Retired One

+1

This kind of integrity is rarely seen, though you would hope it happens more often than not!

I built a small water filter (6K gallons) for some kids in a small school in a small town in Northern Mexico. Weird this day and age kids don't have clean water to drink.

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 01:29   #23
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Quote:

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Man 73 is just a number. There's a lady out there just for you. Playa gotta play
Old February 06, 2019, 02:36   #24
bouncer50
Registered

FALaholic #: 10039
Quote:

And so it goes.

The Honest Retired One
Like my dad told me its hard to cheat a honest man. Like he said if you cheat someone the only person you really cheated is your self. All is written in the book of life and you be judge by your deeds.
bouncer50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 05:53   #25
Slaughter
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
Alan K. Simpson
If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity, nothing else matters.
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote