The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old February 09, 2019, 17:58   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
L.A. Gang Member Builds Underground Shooting Range

I can imagine how bad the ventilation was down there.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...rground-range/

L.A. Gang Member Builds Underground Shooting Range

A Californian gang member apparently reached these heights, and like an Ice Cube Icarus, he flew so close to the sun that even Gucci sunglasses and a White Sox hat couldn’t shield him: Apparently, this criminal/extreme firearms enthusiast built a fully functioning gun range beneath a manhole cover in his basement and, to be honest, I’ve probably paid to shoot at shittier ranges than the one this gun fancier built in his own home:

Of course, he was caught and arrested for gun charges and the range was discovered. Now, whether or not unauthorized excavation is a crime in California is anyone’s guess, but I think you need a permit to mow your own grass in Cali, so he’s probably going to answer to the zoning board and face some scathing fines and citations after the Justice Department and the Angeles County DA gets through with him.

Two of my favorite things about this article (other than the sandbag-lined, manhole-covered Ninja Turtle shooting range, of course) is 1) When law enforcement units try to pick edgy acronymed names and they end up being something that sounds FREAKIN SWEET like, in this instance, “S.M.A.S.H.” Some sergeant worked REALLY hard to pick words that probably have almost no relationship to the actual function of the unit just so it would spell SMASH, and now when they arrest California gang members they wonder why the perps are like “lol lemme smash lol” when they get arrested.

Second, I always love how media outlets say “he was arrested with THOUSANDS of rounds of ammunition and EVEN A 100 ROUND CLIP DRUM” like that makes you the Lord of War. If you law abiding TFB readers have less than 10,000 rounds and just one drum, you need to get right and hit up Brownells post haste.

Old February 09, 2019, 18:19   #2
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
He shouldn't have pissed off his HOA president.

Seriously, I don't know why anyone in their right mind would agree to HOA anything.

That's the quickest way to spoil a neighborhood.

And having a manhole cover in his basement? Whose bright idea was that?
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2019, 23:42   #3
snowhawk jockey
Registered

FALaholic #: 14239
While his charges prolly include theft of manhole cover, the bigger violation, that he has to figger out how to shake before trial, was wanton exposure of a substance known in the state of California to cause cancer. The rest of the charges are just chump shit for a high rollin gangster.
Old February 10, 2019, 02:19   #4
Insider
Registered

FALaholic #: 1183
All he's got to do is say he's an illegal and they will set him free!
Old February 10, 2019, 10:20   #5
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowhawk jockey View Post
While his charges prolly include theft of manhole cover, the bigger violation, that he has to figger out how to shake before trial, was wanton exposure of a substance known in the state of California to cause cancer. The rest of the charges are just chump shit for a high rollin gangster.
Yes that wanton disregard for the Prop 65 bullshiit will most likely get him life. How dare he expose himself to cancer causing substance.

On a more serious note I think they will go after him hard for the firearm/ ammo violations to make him an example so they can show that their gun laws work.

My old dentist had an indoor shooting range in his basement, his was a little more classy than the one this gang member made. I kind of would like my own shooting range too.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 11:25   #6
gunshooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 77038

https://youtu.be/ewRjZoRtu0Y

Last edited by gunshooter; February 10, 2019 at 11:28. Reason: Attempting to learn how to insert images and links from youtube
gunshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 12:36   #7
marcosfal
Registered

FALaholic #: 72291
What is the deal with humans that get accustomed to so much garbage around? Damn, that place looks like somewhere in a third world country. I've been poor at one time but still, picking up trash and soap/water have always been pretty cheap. Then, the poor animals that always end up with these "people"...
marcosfal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 12:51   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosfal View Post
What is the deal with humans that get accustomed to so much garbage around? Damn, that place looks like somewhere in a third world country. I've been poor at one time but still, picking up trash and soap/water have always been pretty cheap. Then, the poor animals that always end up with these "people"...
Dude I rented houses. I would say you underestimate how many filthy people there are.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2019, 22:39   #9
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
So he did not do it to the building codes
raubvogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 14:33   #10
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
My money says if he does any time at all it will be for "improper disposal of heavy metals." We all know it's far more illegal to drop a piece of lead shot on the ground than it will ever be to actually kill someone with it. I'm guessing CalEPA swings a much bigger legal schlong than the criminal justice system ever will.
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 14:35   #11
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Why didn't he just use the streets like they do here in New Orleans?

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 14:43   #12
JohnHB
Registered

FALaholic #: 81835
Wow, and they found THOUSANDS of rounds of ammo and even a one hundred round drum. magazine for an AR

Wow...hope nobody ever looks too closely in my basement.

JohnHB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 15:20   #13
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
I had plans to build a 25m underground range under my horse arena. 4-5' diameter concrete pipe 5-6' down, a pulley for targets, and a buried small steel shipping conex accessed through a stairway in the hay barn with a shooting bench. Some form of man-hole cover on the far end for maintenance. Never quite figured out the vent because the cost of excavation was prohibitive at the time, and (at the time) I could shoot at the end of my road 5 miles away.
Old February 11, 2019, 15:32   #14
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
I had plans to build a 25m underground range under my horse arena. 4-5' diameter concrete pipe 5-6' down, a pulley for targets, and a buried small steel shipping conex accessed through a stairway in the hay barn with a shooting bench. Some form of man-hole cover on the far end for maintenance. Never quite figured out the vent because the cost of excavation was prohibitive at the time, and (at the time) I could shoot at the end of my road 5 miles away.
A small shed at the far end with a solar powered exhaust fan and shutters should do it.

A light breeze at your back would be the only downside.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 23:25   #15
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
Like a miniature shithole right in the USA.
Old February 11, 2019, 23:47   #16
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnHB View Post
Wow, and they found THOUSANDS of rounds of ammo and even a one hundred round drum. magazine for an AR

Wow...hope nobody ever looks too closely in my basement.

Well, in commiefunia having a high capacity mag is a big no no. I believe it’s a felony to be in position of one. And having a detachable mag for an AR is another big no no.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 14:16   #17
7.92 Dreamin
Registered

FALaholic #: 82122
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
if you revive those plans, i'd advise a purpose built structure instead of a conex. they're really only intended to have vertical loads at designed hard points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy1 View Post
Well, in commiefunia having a high capacity mag is a big no no. I believe it’s a felony to be in position of one. And having a detachable mag for an AR is another big no no.
possession and use is legal. importation, transfer, or manufacture is a misdemeanor. finding and keeping an abandoned box of 30rd USGI magazines would be perfectly legal, for example.

Last edited by 7.92 Dreamin; February 12, 2019 at 14:29.
7.92 Dreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 12, 2019, 16:05   #18
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
It doesn't look like much more than a hole, but nicer than my hole, I guess.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 13, 2019, 18:05   #19
Cava3r4
Registered

FALaholic #: 6560
good thing he didnt have any plastic soda pop straws in there.
Cava3r4 is offline   Reply With Quote