Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old February 05, 2019, 16:15   #1
sweetwine
Registered

FALaholic #: 21594
Wyoming Questions

Greetings All,
Thinking of going to Wyoming for vacation at the end of June. Only able to stay for a week so what is the best area to stay to see the best of the state? BTW the wife is into photographing I'm into old west and history.
Thanks
sweetwine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 16:22   #2
Black Blade
Registered

FALaholic #: 76490
Cody, Jackson and Sheridan-Buffalo are your best bets. If you like Yellowstone then Cody and Jackson are closest and if you like old west history then there's Sheridan and Buffalo (just south of the Battle of the Little Big Horn" battlefield. Lots of smaller historical sites like Fort Phil Kearny, Wagon Box Fight, The Fetterman Battle Field, etc. The Sheriddan Innwhere Bill Cody held try outs for the Wild West Show. Also WY is a Constitutional Carry State.
Old February 05, 2019, 16:22   #3
Black Blade
Registered

And there's also the Grand Tetons just south of Yellostone. Also on the NE part of the state is Devil's Tower and some nice country this side of the Black Hills.
Old February 05, 2019, 16:24   #4
C2A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 15514
Fort Laramie and Devils Tower. When I went to Fort Laramie there were 4 other people there. I like the wide open spaces. Mountains are cool (Yellowstone) but I liked Fort Laramie because I could feel the old west. I stayed in Lusk, which I liked. If things get weird, I have considered moving the business to Lusk.
C2A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 16:29   #5
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
The drive from Red Lodge Montana down to Vernal Utah will take you through the western side of WY and pass through Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and Flaming Gorge. IMHO, this is one of the best drives in the continental US.

The Eastern side of WY has some nice country and more western history, but east of the Bighorns it is primarily high desert with rolling hills and very few trees.

ETA: I just tried to plot you a great route, but this time of year apparently Bear Tooth Pass and some of the other best routes are closed, so Google maps won't let me route it that way at this time. At the end of June however it is some beautiful country.

Last edited by Invictus77; February 05, 2019 at 18:39.
Invictus77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 17:49   #6
NFADLR
Registered

FALaholic #: 7480
Jellystone was fun the first time but I would suggest taking good maps that cover the park in its entirety as digital formats don't always work if you rely upon cell service to download the data.

The maps the park gives out don't always coraspond with AAA maps.

I suggest usgs quads and 15 min maps that cover the entire park.

At the time I was there 3 years ago it was 30.00 to get in.
NFADLR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 08:12   #7
Jarhead504
Registered

FALaholic #: 65022
Brother sweetwine: Whatever you do in Wyoming, DON'T DISTURB THE YELLOWSTONE CALDERA!

Jarhead
Jarhead504 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 08:19   #8
sweetwine
Registered

FALaholic #: 21594
I've been hearing a lot about that. Supposed to be a super eruption anytime now. I'll walk lightly and leave my FAL in the Jeep.
sweetwine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 10:20   #9
rbswyo
Registered

FALaholic #: 36187
i would recommend anyplace BUT Teton Cty. unless you like paying double for everything, sitting in traffic, and sharing the roadways(and everywhere else) with arrogant, inconsiderate pricks!
spend your time in Sublette, Park, Fremont and counties further east.
Oregon Trail, wildlife, old mining sites, indian sites, etc.
also Carbon and Albany counties have some very interesting areas for both wildlife and old west type stuff, mine sites, etc.
north east by Sundance/ Devils Tower is also an interesting area
rbswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 13:10   #10
Robere'
Registered

FALaholic #: 64784
Visit the Little Bighorn Battlefield and stay the night in Red Lodge Montana. Drive the Bear Tooth Highway to Yellowstone Park. The Bear Tooth highway should be open, we went during the same time frame a few years ago. A great experience!
Best,
Rob
Robere' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 03:34   #11
Riversidesports
Banned

FALaholic #: 36091
Well if you move your timing up to early July you have the big Cody gun show over the 13th & 14th.
This isn't beanie babies or Jerky either
It's the Winchester Arms Collectors Association that promotes that one
Vendors and buyers from all over America, even folks from overseas

The museum in Cody kinda sucks since the latest redo particularly the Winchester collection but it's still something to see indeed.

Wouldn't stay in Cody, motels are stupid expensive during the tourist season.
I usually stayed just west in Powell
whatever you do, in that area I'd advise reservations well ahead of time if you intend on taking in the show

You didn't mention if you are driving or direction you would be coming in from. If you take 94 up through Chicago, the Twin Cities then through ND there is plenty on that route
that is critical
On Old West attractions the Chateu de Mores in Medora ND is a must see
The Mores family were French nobles, the son built a cattle empire in the Bad Lands. Wild place, County museum is cool as well but the town is a huge old west tourist trap. Women generally love the place though, all sorts of neat little western shops, resturants, etc

From Medora you can hit Teddy Roosevelts ranch then head to Wibaux Montana. Great museum there, at one point the Wibaux family had the largest ranch holdings in America. The old man bought out de Mores and other ranchers after the great blizards in the 1880s. The main house is part of the museum grounds.
On main street there is an old steakhouse on the corner, packed full of guns and tack, tremendous steaks and reasonable

heading west from there on interstate 94 stop in Terry
another interesting old cow town with a museum largely ignored
cheap lodging too
one seedy old motel that's like 30 a night then there is a Hotel that was built in the 1900s that has hardly changed

Next is Miles City
Great museum
stop in and have a shot at the Cattlemans Club on Main
whole place has been restored, tiled floors, tin ceilings, old furnishings and yeah it was actually the original Cattleman's association bar from back in the 1890s
I would not get lodging in Miles city
very spendy
Oh, Furstnow saddle and tack is Miles City

Glendive is interesting, in fact most every little town has a museum

from there you could hit the Big Horn battle field

Now on photography
The route I just described runs you through the North Dakota and Montana Bad lands...pretty wild area. If you go south on gravel from Medora you pass through the Collumar Pines part of it...awesome part of the bad lands.

another wild time is Bucking Horse Sale in Miles City but that's in like May
1000s of folks flood into the town
They shut down the down town, kegs of beer everywhere, cops on horseback and wall to wall tight little Montana ranch girls staggering around drunk as snot or passed out on the hay bales they place along business fronts. Thing is, you don't really see fights or bad behavior
I used to have a standing reservation at the hotel downtown, you almost have to wait for folks to die before you can get a downtown room though and costs are insane during the Sale
I used to set up at the western show, haul out a load of antique saddles, tack, spurs, bits, beater guns etc.
You will run into even Saudi Royals at Bucking Horse looking to buy new stock for the stables back home

Be aware, anything close to Yellowstone during season is spendy

Another thing, once you get out of the bad lands it's boring terrain for many miles even into Wyoming, just bald ass prarie
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 16:10   #12
Southern 7.62
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
While I wouldn't recommend staying here to see the state, Sheridan, WY is a nice little quiet town. The Cowboy Café serves a good breakfast. A lot of antique stores in this town. Stayed here many times on the commute from Missoula, MT to Sioux Falls, SD.
Southern 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 16:18   #13
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
Enjoyed Cody and the Bear Tooth. Rafted the Snake River at Jackson Hole. Would like to get out that way again.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2019, 17:41   #14
Riversidesports
Banned

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern 7.62 View Post
While I wouldn't recommend staying here to see the state, Sheridan, WY is a nice little quiet town. The Cowboy Café serves a good breakfast. A lot of antique stores in this town. Stayed here many times on the commute from Missoula, MT to Sioux Falls, SD.
meh'
overpriced on antiques

You can often find bargains at shops along highway 2
Wolf Point used to be great
were junk shops you could dig out old native worked blades from in cutlery boxes. Pretty much a Rez town

Bought plenty of shit swapping spit at places like Roundup
Aw shit we have that shit in the barn buys
buy some rounds, be the decent asshole and it's still out there

Farmers, moreover ranchers detest "picker" type kunts
I hung out in rural bars, chatted locals up
local coppers are a great source too, they know who has junk. Key thing is being seen as a good ole boy.

idiot TV shows have made it more difficult to buy
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 12:54   #15
blueyedfaler
Registered

FALaholic #: 3609
If you are traveling with a camper I would suggest Medicine Lodge camp ground. It is near Hyattville where I live. Not much here but out of doors. Would be happy to meet another faler
blueyedfaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2019, 01:29   #16
Black Blade
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueyedfaler View Post
If you are traveling with a camper I would suggest Medicine Lodge camp ground. It is near Hyattville where I live. Not much here but out of doors. Would be happy to meet another faler
Practically neighbors. Used to live between Buffalo and Story overlooking Fort Phil Kearney. Now my niece and her husband live there while she goes to school in Sheridan. Traveled a few times to Thermopolis for fun too. Hot Springs and Dinosaur Museum.
Old February 09, 2019, 11:06   #17
mribley
Registered

FALaholic #: 10860
Wyoming

Wyoming is a beautiful state.

The big problem is all the good stuff so far apart.

Devil's Tower is fantastic(in gets bigger and bigger and bigger) but, is in one corner.

Custer battlefield is on the way to Cody. Trail Town and the Cody Museum are worth seeing. In the other corner.

Which is in the other side of the state. Lander and the Rock Springs are on the other.

To much to see in 1 week. I'm glad I live close and get to drive thru.

mribley
mribley is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2019, 15:48   #18
Surly
Registered

FALaholic #: 3610
Quote:
Originally Posted by mribley View Post
Wyoming is a beautiful state.

The big problem is all the good stuff so far apart.
That's the best part of it. All of the open spaces are free of idiots and democrap scum. Couldn't ask for anything more.

An armed civilian is a citizen.
A disarmed civilian is a SUBJECT.

MCLMM

Former NRA Lifer
Surly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2019, 16:22   #19
Invictus77
The Colonel 1C16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
Practically neighbors.
Me too sort of....

I have a BLM lease adjacent to one of my best friends place south of Buffalo, near Crazy Woman canyon.
Old February 10, 2019, 00:32   #20
Black Blade
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Me too sort of....

I have a BLM lease adjacent to one of my best friends place south of Buffalo, near Crazy Woman canyon.
Nice country there ... and south all the way to Kaycee and to Casper.
Old February 10, 2019, 10:28   #21
Blackmore
> Dirt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 2690
Another vote for overnight in Red Lodge, then over the Beartooth Highway and drop into the Lamar Valley after you enter Yellowstone. We did it in early June and the valley was full of buffalo. Impressive.

Rock Springs? Ughh. Lunch and gas stop on the way from SLC to Laramie. Haven't eaten at a Sonic since.

Last edited by Blackmore; February 11, 2019 at 07:55.
Blackmore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 16:26   #22
Wildthing
Registered

FALaholic #: 78798
Wyoming

Lot's of really good info. I live N of Cody up by the Chief Joseph Hwy across the Beartooth's it's a route you really want to take. Cody is very expensive for lodging. ENJOY
Wildthing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 16:28   #23
JohnHB
Registered

FALaholic #: 81835
Easy answer.

Grand Tetons, Devil's Tower and then ... Cody.

Cody has it all for you, your wife will love the Tetons and Devil's Tower.
JohnHB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 21:19   #24
blueyedfaler
Registered

FALaholic #: 3609
Dead Indian hwy is one beautiful drive for sure.
blueyedfaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 23:04   #25
jollyrogerf14
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 71100
Stay at the Erma in Cody. Wife and I stayed in Bill Cody's daughter's room for $100 and it was awesome. I second the Red Lodge to Yellowstone Beartooth highway drive. It's pretty incredible if you manage to do it the weekend it opens. Damn near died up there one winter from exposure, gets mighty cold. My wife's family has some Cooke City history. Stop in the little museum there and you'll see her Great Grandpa, Bud Hart, the miner that killed a fella with an axe in a mining claim dispute. I didn't marry an axe murderer, just the great granddaughter of one.
jollyrogerf14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2019, 23:08   #26
jollyrogerf14
Curio & Relic
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 71100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Blade View Post
Practically neighbors. Used to live between Buffalo and Story overlooking Fort Phil Kearney. Now my niece and her husband live there while she goes to school in Sheridan. Traveled a few times to Thermopolis for fun too. Hot Springs and Dinosaur Museum.
I got to fly UPS air freight into Thermopolis one day years ago. Coolest little airport I've been to. Only land one direction, no matter the wind. Had fun watching people attempt the wrong direction all day.
jollyrogerf14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 23:24   #27
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
In to Salt lake city, drive the 70 miles to Evanston, then up to the grand tetons, you go up through Idaho as well. Then over to cody. You can see a lot of wildlife and views that will take your breath away, not to mention the passes you go through are 9,000+ feet elevation.. I was there in 2001. Loved it..
Old Yesterday, 19:27   #28
def90
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
A lot of great places to visit in Wy.. love exploring that state. Jackson and the Tetons are a must see.

Just remember that there is no income tax in Wy so they make it up by writing tickets. I’m a lead foot and got tickets my first 3 times through the state, I have since learned to slow down a bit.