The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old January 30, 2019, 19:12   #1
mountainman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14702
USPS MO and bank teller

lady in bank was afraid to cash my USPSMO cause the sender didn't put his name or addy on it. She was afraid that the check would be denied and then a $5 fine would be levied on it. Did she know what she was talking about?
Old January 30, 2019, 19:25   #2
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
lady in bank was afraid to cash my USPSMO cause the sender didn't put his name or addy on it. She was afraid that the check would be denied and then a $5 fine would be levied on it. Did she know what she was talking about?
Kind of. There was a guy that received some fake USPS MO's for payment of firearm a few years ago, and they were also used by terrorists to transfer funds. Now if you buy over a certain amount you have to fill out all kinds of paperwork, show proper ID, and jump through hoops. The Govt requires tractability on them now.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2019, 20:29   #3
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I hope mine didn't cause you problems. I normally put in the names but leave the rest blank.
Old January 30, 2019, 22:27   #4
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
I've run into the same issue at my credit union.

In my expierence, the post office couldn't care less as long as its not a fake....and I usually cash them at PO if they have enough money in the till.

"Put your thumb up, hit the bolt release, and quit phuking with God and Eugene"
4x401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2019, 23:20   #5
okiefarmer
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 3248
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post

In my expierence, the post office couldn't care less as long as its not a fake....and I usually cash them at PO if they have enough money in the till.
Which doesn’t happen very often in this neck of the woods. They gladly take your cash, will not accept a check or plastic to buy a USPS money order, but send you to a bank to cash one. They don’t keep very many pesos in the drawer.
Old January 31, 2019, 10:13   #6
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
No way I would expect a bank to cash on-the-spot any negotiable instrument drawn on any institution other than that bank.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 11:35   #7
Abominog
Registered

FALaholic #: 372
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
No way I would expect a bank to cash on-the-spot any negotiable instrument drawn on any institution other than that bank.
Mine does, though I suspect that if it comes back as fraudulent they'll have some "legal" means to pull the $$ out of my account.

My USPS never has more than $200 in the drawer, so it's rare they can cash their own MO.

Will Walmart cash their MO?
Old January 31, 2019, 11:35   #8
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
. . . negotiable instrument.
Asked piano teacher for a discount rate.

Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 11:46   #9
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
Have you found out who sent the MO? If so, just put their info on it. If not, is there any way that the Post Office can tell you which PO it was bought at, and find the owner from the info?
Old January 31, 2019, 13:58   #10
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Never had an issue with USPS money orders at my bank.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 14:54   #11
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
it is cashed against your account balance. if it is bad you loose.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 15:46   #12
308/223shooter
FALaholic Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Any postal MO I receive for over $50.00, I take to the post office. They have a ledger that has the serial numbers. If your MO serial has already been cashed, or hasn't been sold yet, it's likely a fake. Also look for the water mark and security strip, if wonky, it's a fake. I've only received a couple fakes, both times they were caught when checked. I just turned them over to my post master and relisted the items after leaving appropriate feedback for the buyer. Both times were also Ebay.

The biggest problem with religion is those who claim to know Jesus, then turn around and deny Him with their lifestyle. That is what a unbelieving world, simply finds unbelievable.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 18:52   #13
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I guess if you take an oddball check/M.O. to your OWN bank and try to "cash" it, you might expect your bank to send you out the door with greenbacks.

Generally, if you're going to play that card, the bank is going to make you DEPOSIT the thing in your bank account, and yeah... you can then make a withdrawal from your account subject to the usual rules of contract with your bank.

But I thought the whole point of "cashing" checks you receive in trade was to AVOID there being any record of deposit.

It never ceases to amaze me how hard folks work to do some things the hard way.

Small checks and money orders get deposited by phone-app for what my time is worth. Although I do kind of enjoy going to the post office to show folks who fight those heavy automatic doors that there actually is a BUTTON right by the door. The blank-and-amazed looks I get are almost worth the trip.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 19:00   #14
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I always thought the only way to demand cash from a money order was you had to cash it at the issuer.

I used to make renters send me money orders if it wasn't direct deposit. That way I knew they had the money spent. It wasn't to cash it. Post office couldn't cash them anywho. Walk in their with anything over $100 and good luck. Brought one in for $1000 and she just looked at me said "we ain't got that much money here"

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 19:05   #15
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I believe the postal service needs to have a zip code on it??? I'm sure the bank was just protecting their own position.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 19:30   #16
FAL freek
Registered

FALaholic #: 10400
Yeah same thing happened to me this week, never had an issue with it in the past though. Told the teller to hold on a minute and went out and got the address and wrote it on the money order right in front of her. Though that was strange aa well but oh well.

Liberals want diversity in everything except your opinion.
FAL freek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 31, 2019, 20:24   #17
Southern 7.62
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79321
Yes, any bank that's experienced fraud with counterfeit USPS money orders will have an issue with one, possibly regardless of the amount. On top of that, when you take one to the USPS to cash it, they are obliged to call in the USPS number and verify the USPS money order is in fact valid. I recently had this issue with two USPS money orders. Just a sign of the times. I will say that you, or I as an individual can call the USPS to verify a USPS Money Order is legit. The number for the Money Order Verification is: 1-866-459-7822. On the flip side, it's just awesome to go through this whole process, and then have the Post Master come out to explain to you that they don't have enough cash on-hand to take your Money Order(s). "Check back with us tomorrow"
Southern 7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2019, 02:08   #18
Super Dak©
Registered

FALaholic #: 70615
Like many places, the window clerks start each day with only $100 in their drawer. At the end of the day/closeout, anything over $100 is taken out and sent to the main hub in deposit bags. If you want to cash MOs, best to try later in the day. I suspect smaller POs (or even larger POs with many clerks effectively dividing customers/cash) might still have limited cash per clerk, especially with more people going cashless. I'm in a small town with generally one window clerk, but $1K-$3K in a drawer is pretty common by closing (even $5K+ around Christmas with multiple clerks), but we also have a lot of Native Americans here. Many seem to prefer using MOs to pay their bills, and use cash to buy them, so payday afternoon is the best time to cash large MOs. I still use my bank (credit union) with zero issues, but I also make sure it's all filled out.
Old February 01, 2019, 05:51   #19
wilson180
Registered

FALaholic #: 80897
I had tenants who paid rent using USPS money orders. They never wrote anything but my name. My bank told me it needed to be filled in so I just did it myself.
wilson180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2019, 16:38   #20
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x401 View Post

I tried cashing a $300 one a month ago, the usps serv told me "we don't carry that much money". Seriously???

Pain in the arse to either get one, or receive one. Some of my bank's ATMs will accept them, others will kick it out. Cannot deposit with a smartphone either.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2019, 18:46   #21
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
I tried cashing a $300 one a month ago, the usps serv told me "we don't carry that much money". Seriously???

In case you haven't noticed, most people use debit and credit cards to make purchases.
Purchasing a money order by debit card is not uncommon, either.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 02, 2019, 01:37   #22
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
yes, i can see that happening.

Not sure if you bank there or not since that will make a difference.

I know my bank wont have issue since i do bank there. If all you wanted was to make a deposit, then chances are it wouldn't be an issue either. But cashing it and if you didnt bank there, then yes.

If you do bank there, then just deposit it and call it good. What they will do is to just put a hold on the funds until the MO clears.

I had soem people do the same with sending a USPS MO without any sender/receiver. So i just wrote it in myself and told them so.

last comment. There are security features on a USPS MO. you can google for it if you want and if you are going to get paid by them in the future, you should become familiar with them so you can let the next teller know too and to make sure you have a genuine USPS MO.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 08, 2019, 15:03   #23
nvcdl
Registered

FALaholic #: 1312
My credit union cashes USPS money orders without much drama though I assume they would hold me responsible if they turned out to be fraudulent.

Post Offices around here almost never have enough cash (or the clerks won't admit to it) to cover any but the smallest amounts - they also go in back and take a few minutes to verify the money orders.
nvcdl is online now   Reply With Quote