The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old February 04, 2019, 23:30   #1
bouncer50
Registered

FALaholic #: 10039
German Dogs

I think the German breeds of Dogs are some of the best in the world. I had rotties and dobes in the past. They were smart and now I plant on getting a German Shepard pup. I never had a Shepard before how are they.
bouncer50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 01:47   #2
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
I've had a few shepherds. Generally smart and protective. Overall good dogs.

Last edited by MACV; February 05, 2019 at 19:21.
MACV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 02:09   #3
Right Side Up
Registered

FALaholic #: 43
I like German Shepherds. Another one you may consider is the Belgian Malanios. A good friend did a lot of research and decided on one. He likes it a lot. Great dog so far.

https://www.dogster.com/dogbreed/belgian-malinois
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 04:37   #4
spider991
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 35820
Check you local rescues, always a shepherd or two coming in or out. One in SW ohio has two(brother and sister) that are friggen adorable...they wont split them up and have to go as a pair..they are very bonded. I love shepherds
spider991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 08:47   #5
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Wienerdogs are cool

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 09:02   #6
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Yep,

Real hunting Dachshund are built like tanks and aggressive as all get out to anything smaller. Bred to hunt and drag Euro Badgers out of their dens.

Me Im partial to full size Poodles as they dont shed.

Thorack

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.
Thorack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 10:21   #7
davesrb
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 24499
If you are more inclined to a hunting companion, we have two Weimeranner's. The are great companion dogs, protective without being overly agressive. The do however, require lots of exercise. If you are a runner, hiker, or spend a lot of time outside you will love this breed. Mine bring me squirrels they catch on my property quite frequently.

In memory of my friend Roger Dunkelbarger. 05-09-2010
davesrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 10:52   #8
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
I had Dobermans growing up, and they make great pets. They were all loving companions, were fast and smart as hell, very protective of the family, had a no nonsense look about them despite the fact that they are big babies, and they had a great growl and bark that commands respect from those who might otherwise do you harm.

These days though, I'm more of a Hungarian dog lover. We've got a Viszla that has been part of the family for the past 6 years. She is such a joy. I don't even want to imagine the day when she won't be part of our lives.
Old February 05, 2019, 12:32   #9
ncjeeper
Registered

FALaholic #: 65663
GSD's are great. I have had 3. Got one as a pup and the other 2 were rescues. They bonded with me and were always close by.
Old February 05, 2019, 12:52   #10
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
As with any breed, make sure you research what to look for and ask about. Hip dysplasia is a genetic trait predominate in GSD. Make sure you verify with the breeder that is not an issue. It can also be caused by large bodied dog jumping onto and off of elevated structures. For the first year, puppies should not be allowed to jump up on to or off beds, sofas, or cars for their first year.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 14:36   #11
Sagerider
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 66564
Very sound advice ^^^^^

Matthew 25:1 thru 25:10 Be ready!

The written word sometimes like poetry is never really finished but merely abandoned.

I live alone in the middle of nowhere with two dogs and a cat, what do you think about that.

The wind blows, the rain falls, the flag snaps its bravery in the dark as two dogs boil for attention at my feet.

Of course it is a true story. You just couldn't make up something like that, no way.
Sagerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 15:51   #12
spider991
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 35820
go to a rescue, breeders live of the misery of their dogs. Breeding them till their used up then thrown away. or dumping the ones that are not "perfect" by leaving them to starve or just throwing them away. Very, very few breeders do it because they love the dogs(read about the horrors of the amish scumbags and dog breeding). Rescue dogs are so grateful to get a home as most have lived a terrible life. All they want is love. so many rescues filled to the brim with perfect dogs, perfect because they give unconditional love to their forever home and families... give a dog that needs a good life a second chance, you will never regret it i promise.
spider991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 16:20   #13
HelpiFALanCantGetUp
Registered

FALaholic #: 66011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncer50 View Post
I think the German breeds of Dogs are some of the best in the world. I had rotties and dobes in the past. They were smart and now I plant on getting a German Shepard pup. I never had a Shepard before how are they.
solid dog overall but Belgian Malinois is #1 now. like any other dog, you get a junk shepard you might as well call it a black lab and put a bandanna on it.
HelpiFALanCantGetUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 16:30   #14
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
As with most purebred dogs, very few have good bloodlines, while the rest are promiscuously bred without any regard to anything other than turning a profit.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 16:44   #15
HelpiFALanCantGetUp
Registered

FALaholic #: 66011
Natas ALtobello.. my dobie. he was a magnificant dog, RIP. Dobermans are arguable one of the finest dogs you can own. the saddest part is that they die young.

what they say about Dobermans being sneaky is true. the picture where hes at the top of steps is from when i would try to sneak in the house. i cut the lights on just as i got to the bottom of the steps and there he was, waiting and he didnt know it was me either as you can tell by the look on his face. another thing about Dobermans is their level of intelligence. my German Sheppard would come taring down the steps if he heard something. the Doberman waits for you in ambush.

there was another time when i tried to go up the steps in the dark and about half way up i heard the most disturbing growl ive ever heard from a dog. i could his breath on my face so i went back down. 1 more step an he would have bitten me i know it. Lots of people think dogs recognize their owners. they do, but there needs to be some light or some wind so they catch your scent. over the years i could never bait him into coming down the steps.

HelpiFALanCantGetUp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 19:31   #16
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpiFALanCantGetUp View Post
Natas ALtobello.. my dobie. he was a magnificant dog, RIP. Dobermans are arguable one of the finest dogs you can own. the saddest part is that they die young.

what they say about Dobermans being sneaky is true. the picture where hes at the top of steps is from when i would try to sneak in the house. i cut the lights on just as i got to the bottom of the steps and there he was, waiting and he didnt know it was me either as you can tell by the look on his face. another thing about Dobermans is their level of intelligence. my German Sheppard would come taring down the steps if he heard something. the Doberman waits for you in ambush.

there was another time when i tried to go up the steps in the dark and about half way up i heard the most disturbing growl ive ever heard from a dog. i could his breath on my face so i went back down. 1 more step an he would have bitten me i know it. Lots of people think dogs recognize their owners. they do, but there needs to be some light or some wind so they catch your scent. over the years i could never bait him into coming down the steps.

Wow, look at the head on that thing. He must go 80-90lbs..
Good looking dog.

Last edited by MACV; February 06, 2019 at 04:16.
MACV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 20:41   #17
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
To add a bit to tac's comments
The main issue with GSDs is heavy inbreeding but that depends on stock in the area.

Rural places you often had perhaps at best two to four distinct breeding lines
With just a pair across a couple Counties you end up with major problems
tac mentioned the hip issues, yeah that get bad with a small gene pool but the greater issue is behavioral and animal intellect
Some of the dumbest Canines I have ever seen were GSDs
Dobies took a bad rap over this, Rotties and now PBTs

Understand me, all are good dawgs unless they are all inbred up and retarded as a result of sister or even mother breeding
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 20:50   #18
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:

Now that's one fine looking companion !

When we were kids my buddy had one, parents spent big on it. Came from some Euro breeder. They refused to cut it's ears or bob the tail. Just one big ole' hunk of love for family or friends but yeah he would sneak up on you. Really cool dawg, extremely protective and intelligent.
Seen others that were just dangerous though, vicious inbred things

Of course, seen Black Labs that were every bit as evil
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 05, 2019, 21:02   #19
Arby
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 653
I grew up with Boxers. Probably the most even tempered of the German work dogs. Great with children. Short haired and great for southern climes. Quick to learn, but how easily do they forget, when it is convenient for them!
They don't live long, though.
Arby is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 02:04   #20
bouncer50
Registered

FALaholic #: 10039
Quote:

Sorry about your loss of a good friend. Mine was very sneaky She used to hide behind the front door. She used to but put her leg out and try to trip you then push you from behind and run and hide. She also used to take my tools and hide them in the back yard. She was sneaky but funny. She was more like a little kid then a dog.
bouncer50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 07:07   #21
Registered

FALaholic #: 66611
I had a Dobie that was similar in size to your friend. He used to wait by the woodstove when anyone came into the house. Then he would slip up behind them, and just stand there. The person usually never knew he was there until they turned around. I thought it was funny as hell. He also decided that he liked to point birds. I didn't teach him this. He just started doing it on his own. Who am I to stand in the way of his ambitions. I miss him. He was a great dog. Very protective of my kids too.
1769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 13:24   #22
TnHawk-45
Registered

FALaholic #: 13892
When my wife and I were first married we were given a beautiful female Dobe. Wife had never had one, but I had. As the Dobe was still a puppy, she 'teethed' on the kitchen linonium (sp ?). Wife threw a fit. I informed her all the dog needed was training. As she had never trained one I sent them BOTH to obedience school. Dobe graduated Valedictorian, wife still will not sit on command!

Wife and that dog were inseparable. The Dobe even saved my daughters life by getting between Daughter and a ill trained Pit that would have killed her. It about killed both the wife and I when we lost that dog to old age stroke.

That is the only breed of dog that my wife wants again.
TnHawk-45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 14:50   #23
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1769 View Post
I had a Dobie that was similar in size to your friend. He used to wait by the woodstove when anyone came into the house. Then he would slip up behind them, and just stand there. The person usually never knew he was there until they turned around. I thought it was funny as hell. He also decided that he liked to point birds. I didn't teach him this. He just started doing it on his own. Who am I to stand in the way of his ambitions. I miss him. He was a great dog. Very protective of my kids too.
Ha! I was once owned by a Husky/Shepherd mix that I trained for upland bird hunting. He was an awesome flusher with a keen nose. He looked like a tan husky, fading to white underneath with brown eyes. I used to take him to the local fish&game club on bird dog training days. I would tell the old guys there that he was a "German Sheutzen Hound", bred to hunt wild boars but known to flush a pheasant or two... I would get, "Ah ain't never seen no bird dog look like that!" Great fun! Still miss old Rennie The Fox.
Larry
Old February 06, 2019, 14:56   #24
Whydah
Registered

FALaholic #: 74237
Quote:
Originally Posted by bouncer50 View Post
Expensive!!!

Well, the European GSs certainly are. American breeders ruined the GS dog here in the states. Thats why LE agencies don't use them. Instead they opt for the Eastern European or European dogs. Their very strict breeding program has insured over the years that the GS breed stays true, unlike the American 'show dogs'. I have a GS with German blood lines. Fritz is almost 13 and is (unfortunately) showing his age. I doubt he's long before Rainbow Bridge. It will be a very sad day.

Belgium or Dutch Malionas are very high energy dogs that require a lot of stimulation and exercise. Keep that in mind should you begin leaning in that direction.

Last edited by Whydah; February 06, 2019 at 15:06.
Whydah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 15:32   #25
rkad
Registered

FALaholic #: 12347
Growing up we had two German Shepard Huskie cross (Spike and Nick) that were excellent farm dogs and could tolerate ND winters very well. They would let us know when anyone drove up (trained by an old mutt (Friskie) that was everyone's favorite) but never had to bite anyone. I sure miss Friskie and Spike, I was already moved out when they got Nick, but he always recognized me and was a good dog.
Old February 06, 2019, 18:20   #26
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
A friend had a big GS 40 years ago or more now. The dog's father had been trained by an outfit in Temple, Texas. They described him as a, ahem, and I quote, "Super Commando Guard dog". Okay. I have no idea what that meant, but the sire was a damned smart dog. He guarded their business overnight and pissed in the commode, with his paws on the tank.

Supposedly, he could distinguish between similar packs of smokes when asked to pick out a certain pack. I asked the trainer what sort of requirement they had in order to train a dog to that degree. He said the dog had to be a "genius" in the animal kingdom and have so many pounds of crushing strength in their jaws. It might've all been bullshit for all I know but the dog did put on an impressive display of training.

My daddy was a cowboy in his younger days, wild as the west Texas wind. He once told me, "Son, death is a horse you got to ride. So you better get your saddle ready."

heavily armed, easily pissed.
Texgunner is online now   Reply With Quote