The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Ammunition

Notices

Old January 26, 2019, 19:05   #1
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
PB Powder

Came into a couple pounds of PB for cheap a while back. Finally set up MEC650 and bought a couple of bushings tailored to the PB load. Used it all up today, now find out its discontinued. So much for saving a buck! I'll never use those bushings again, as PB uses a pretty good sized charge. Oh well, small thing. Seems like PB was a very popular powder but I suppose the unusual physical construction may have been more of a hassle to manufacture than it was worth. Squashing balls and cutting flakes is all the rage. Porous-Base sounds complicated.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2019, 20:04   #2
skeeterbay
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20461
I didn't know they discontinued it. I never used it for shotgun loads but I tried it years ago in some 9mm pistol loads.

Ard Choille!
skeeterbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2019, 20:22   #3
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
powders that have production problems or do not sell usually end up discontinued

WW 785 was a great powder for the .243 Winchester, but quality control issues killed it off
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2019, 07:52   #4
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
I am unaware of any problems with that powder, but Im not an insider so who knows. Most common types of powders are all the same "stuff" with burn rates adjusted by the amount of exposed surface area (finer=faster), or applications of chemicals to retard or accelerate burn rates. So cut extruded sticks shorter or longer, adjust size of spheres for ball powder, roll balls flat or not, cut flake sheets to a certain size from a sheet rolled to a particular thickness. But all similar breads made from the same dough. But "porous base" sounds like a completely separate way of making powder so likely doesnt fit in with predominant manufacturing lines.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2019, 08:40   #5
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
I have a couple of pounds of PB and recently passed on an 8 lb can. I use it in .45 ACP, mostly to just use up what I have. I've read that it has some nice features, but I wouldn't go out of my way to get more, especially since I am sitting on about 20 Lb of Red Dot.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2019, 17:49   #6
KoKodog
Registered

FALaholic #: 31665
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
I am unaware of any problems with that powder, but Im not an insider so who knows. Most common types of powders are all the same "stuff" with burn rates adjusted by the amount of exposed surface area (finer=faster), or applications of chemicals to retard or accelerate burn rates. So cut extruded sticks shorter or longer, adjust size of spheres for ball powder, roll balls flat or not, cut flake sheets to a certain size from a sheet rolled to a particular thickness. But all similar breads made from the same dough. But "porous base" sounds like a completely separate way of making powder so likely doesnt fit in with predominant manufacturing lines.

usually by the time we find out a powder is removed from the market its too late to lay in a good supply

sometimes they are pulled for basically no reason other than the bean counters say so
Teddy Roosvelt

Pray for peace, but prepare for war.
Winston Churchill
KoKodog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 27, 2019, 18:03   #7
Illurian00
Registered

FALaholic #: 28599
I picked up a couple pounds (or were they 8oz. cans ?) of PB years ago. Can't remember where I got it.

Used it for 38Spl. & 12Ga. trap loads. Worked good as I recall. Burned very clean.

Use it up !
Illurian00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2019, 09:10   #8
Democrat1
Registered

FALaholic #: 9132
"PB" stood for "Porous Base"

That was and is a very easy to ignite powder, a good characteristic in cold weather and in general.

The Powder manufacturers have gone through their listings several times in recent years to eliminate powders where a lot of batches tend to come out the wrong burn rate (eg SR4759), or their designator is easily mixed up with others (eg 4756), or they did not sell well. In some cases, powders were reformulated to eliminate certain characteristics, such as high nitroglycerin content.

There is lots of data around for PB, especially for shotgun use.
Democrat1 is offline   Reply With Quote