The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Optics


Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 17, 2008, 18:37   #1
bar's Avatar
FALaholic #: 6393
Join Date: May 2002
Location: The Deep South
Posts: 27
Elcan repair / service ?

I need to have my older style Elcan's internal Tritium light source re-newed. This unit is at least 10 years old.

Anyone know who to contact? I couldn't find a link on the Elcan web site.
Former Marine. Proud to have served,
glad to be out.
bar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17, 2008, 21:24   #2
FALaholic #: 3555
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 10,199
Well, would be a good place to start. They have facilities in Texas and from what I have heard have an excellent reputation in the customer service department.
If you are not part of the solution, you are part of the precipitate.
Stranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19, 2008, 20:33   #3
GySgt D
GySgt D's Avatar
FALaholic #: 232
Join Date: Jul 2000
Location: The Redneck Riviera
Posts: 1,096
I've contacted Raytheon about this (on gubmit letterhead no less), and they tell me that they do not have a license to perform the work.

Was told that it would be no problem to send it to Canada to have it done, but good luck getting it back south of the border.

If there is any interest, I'll find the email and post it here.

Meanwhile, my Elcan is getting dimmer and dimmer.
Th' FAL is wifout a doubt th' finess rifle available fo' defendin' yer mobile home or huntin' camp fum them uppity Federales. Yo' kin use it equally fine while jack-lightin' deer or keepin' th' possum sheriff at a comfy distance.
GySgt D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2012, 12:12   #4
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor
FALaholic #: 19226
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: brabant/Belgium - collecting
Posts: 2,303
Elcan C79 tritium inserts

I'm about to buy an Elcan C79 military scope.
The tritium is "empty" and need to get replaced.
I live in Belgium.
Any idea where and how to buy these inserts?
How do you replace it.
How do you refil the gas?

paco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2012, 07:31   #5
FALaholic #: 1785
Join Date: Dec 2000
Posts: 1,689
You can replace the inserts yourself pretty cheap. You have to buy two components, the tritium vial and the epoxy to hold it in place. The epoxy is a special kind that cures in UV light so it has to be kept in the dark so that it does not cure prematurely in the sunlight. When the epoxy cures it is crystal clear so that it does not block any glow from the tritium vial.

Here is the link to the tritium vials:

I cannot find the link to the epoxy right now but the guy who sells the vials might know where to get the epoxy from. You might be able to Google it also. There is also a page, maybe her on the FAL Files, that shows how to perform this operation on an Elcan.
Incognito is online now   Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:42.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The FAL Files