The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > News & Political Discussion > Police Issues

Notices

Old February 09, 2018, 13:25   #1
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
kid fires cop's holstered gun in school activity

twenty bux says it was a glock, or similar "no-safety" striker fired gun. no excuse for a round in the pipe and cocked gun, especially an inherently dangerous gun like a glock, in a school environment. policy needs to change before some kid gets killed because of glocks:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/0...holstered-gun/
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2018, 14:59   #2
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by justashooter View Post
twenty bux says it was a glock, or similar "no-safety" striker fired gun. no excuse for a round in the pipe and cocked gun, especially an inherently dangerous gun like a glock, in a school environment. policy needs to change before some kid gets killed because of glocks: [/URL]
Your level of stupid is astounding.

Glocks are not "cocked". The striker functions like a bow and arrow. They are not in the drawn position while at rest.

The Glock has THREE passive safeties (as compared to revolvers, which have 1 or 2 depending on model).

To fire a Glock, you must pull the trigger. Pulling the trigger is supposed to fire a gun (that's why it's called a "trigger").
Old February 09, 2018, 15:05   #3
Jaxxas
Don't Tread On Me!
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34933
One of the many reasons I have a hard time wrapping my head around open carry.

Aren't all firearms "inherently" dangerous?

YMMV

A golf course is a complete waste of a good rifle range. Jarhead
Jaxxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2018, 15:17   #4
Roadmarker
Remaining Vigilant 3-7-77
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63605
I prefer a manual safety. A lot of people don't. Then again, I'm not in law enforcement and I've taken the calculated risk of either having a manual safety or not carrying with a round in the chamber with a striker fired pistol.
If I'm going into a firefight, I'm loading up the chamber and/or taking the safety off.
I do believe a manual safety prevents "accidental" discharges.
I also believe carrying without a round in the chamber puts you at a disadvantage.
Old February 09, 2018, 15:40   #5
justashooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadmarker View Post
I prefer a manual safety. A lot of people don't. Then again, I'm not in law enforcement and I've taken the calculated risk of either having a manual safety or not carrying with a round in the chamber with a striker fired pistol.
If I'm going into a firefight, I'm loading up the chamber and/or taking the safety off.
I do believe a manual safety prevents "accidental" discharges.
I also believe carrying without a round in the chamber puts you at a disadvantage.
in my opinion a sig or beretta style hammer drop safety combination control is the best answer. it allows you to drop hammer on loaded chamber and disengage the trigger function in a way that you cannot with a glock. if that cop had been carrying a sig and used it properly the "shot heard round the school", would not have been fired. with such drill firing a gun is still one handed. it just requires rotation of the disconnector before pulling trigger, which disconnector can be had in ambidextrous option.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
Old February 09, 2018, 18:39   #6
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
The real question is WTF is a kid doing sticking his finger down into the holster of a cop's pistol?

Was there something mentally wrong with the kid?

Or just an utter lack of respect for Police and authority of elders?
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2018, 19:50   #7
Right Side Up
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
The real question is WTF is a kid doing sticking his finger down into the holster of a cop's pistol?

That's what little boys do. Like flies to honey.
Right Side Up is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2018, 19:51   #8
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
Quote:

I think the fact that kids eating tide pods is in the news so much lately kind of answers your question.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.

You can tell it's real because it looks so fake.
Elon Musk February 7, 2018
badzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2018, 21:31   #9
RG Coburn
Registered

FALaholic #: 27406
Quote:

...in a world where boys are never taught by their fathers how to handle firearms....
RG Coburn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 09, 2018, 15:37   #10
justashooter
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Your level of stupid is astounding.

To fire a Glock, you just pull the trigger. Pulling the trigger is supposed to fire a gun (that's why it's called a "trigger").
your level of assholishness is astounding, and for a "gunsmith" you don't know sheet about how guns work: watch the video, stupid

[IMG][/IMG]

"In a pure striker fired system such as Glock's there is no external hammer and no means to de-cock. Most of the Glocks that I have seen are single action meaning that the gun is cocked by racking the slide and the only way to de-cock is to pull the trigger.Feb 17, 2012"

"...passive safety system omits the manipulation of traditional on-off levers, hammers, or other external safeties as found in many other handgun designs. The ability to fire immediately, without worrying about an external safety, is one feature Glock has stressed as an advantage when selling its guns, especially to police departments."

this has resulted in a pre-cocked striker condition, and has also removed a point of decision for people who wind up shooting people, often unintentioanlly, because there is no thought or action to disengage a safety required, just a reflexive response that is not necessarily conscious. hence the dramatic increase in police shootings since the adoption of glocks.

Last edited by justashooter; February 09, 2018 at 15:43.
Old February 09, 2018, 19:43   #11
Aeroscout
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 67625
Quote:
your level of assholishness is astounding, and for a "gunsmith" you don't know sheet about how guns work: watch the video, stupid

[IMG][/IMG]

"In a pure striker fired system such as Glock's there is no external hammer and no means to de-cock. Most of the Glocks that I have seen are single action meaning that the gun is cocked by racking the slide and the only way to de-cock is to pull the trigger.Feb 17, 2012"

"...passive safety system omits the manipulation of traditional on-off levers, hammers, or other external safeties as found in many other handgun designs. The ability to fire immediately, without worrying about an external safety, is one feature Glock has stressed as an advantage when selling its guns, especially to police departments."

this has resulted in a pre-cocked striker condition, and has also removed a point of decision for people who wind up shooting people, often unintentioanlly, because there is no thought or action to disengage a safety required, just a reflexive response that is not necessarily conscious. hence the dramatic increase in police shootings since the adoption of glocks.
Haven't seen the cudgel in awhile........

Old February 10, 2018, 09:18   #12
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Actually, the video misses the disengagement of the firing pin block, but otherwise confirms that I am 100% correct (as usual), and you have no clue what you're babbling about. The partial "pre cock" for lack of a better description, is not "cocked". Look at the firing pin you moron! It does not come back until the trigger is pulled. What part of that concept leads you to believe the striker is like a cocked cross-bow, just waiting to accidentally release?

The commentary is completely wrong on every count, including it's attempt at describing the mechanism. I'm just glad to know that "most" of the Glocks the writer has examined are single action (none are), because I'd love to see the ones he claims are not.

I understand that you are too stupid, lazy, and incompetent to handle a firearm that is discharged by pulling the trigger. I also understand that you have a rabid hatred for that which is above your comprehension. But you should not assume that others are as stupid, lazy and incompetent as yourself. Some of us can handle the concept of "pull trigger, gun go bang" and find the Glock, with it's three passive safeties, to be a perfect fit.

By the way, the steps of "load magazine, insert magazine, and chamber first round" was assumed to have been completed when I noted that pulling the trigger will fire the gun. I do not believe the Glock will load itself.

Last edited by gunplumber; February 10, 2018 at 09:28.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2018, 20:07   #13
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
Quote:
Actually, the video misses the disengagement of the firing pin block, but otherwise confirms that I am 100% correct (as usual).
You are both wrong and going off half cocked as usual. The Glock and most other striker fired weapons are always at least half cocked.

SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10, 2018, 21:03   #14
J. Armstrong
Minister of Amusement
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 13629
Just another reason why I prefer a 1911 or BHP with a manual safety. YMMV.

“I respect the government only in the sense that I respect any other dangerous predator who views me as food.”

“The consolidation of the states into one vast empire, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of ruin which has overwhelmed all that preceded it.” Robert E. Lee
J. Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 11, 2018, 10:00   #15
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAFN49 View Post
You are both wrong and going off half cocked as usual. The Glock and most other striker fired weapons are always at least half cocked.
Half-cock does not apply to a gun without a hammer. It is a poor description for what a Glock striker entails. The half-cock position functions as catch for a hammer failure. Nothing to do with a minimal pre-load on a striker. A half-cock failure can fire the gun. A release of the preloaded striker on a glock, cannot fire the gun.
Old February 12, 2018, 17:11   #16
bubbagump
Stand-Up Philosopher
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 21705
Quote:
Glocks are not "cocked". The striker functions like a bow and arrow. They are not in the drawn position while at rest.

The Glock has THREE passive safeties (as compared to revolvers, which have 1 or 2 depending on model).

To fire a Glock, you must pull the trigger. Pulling the trigger is supposed to fire a gun (that's why it's called a "trigger").
This. Basically Glocks have a firing mechanism like a DA revolver except that they have no SA capability. The firing system is at all times de-energized and incapable of firing a round except when the trigger is in the process of moving to the rear. My question would be wtf is a cop doing running around in a school environment, or for that matter anywhere else wearing a holster that exposes the trigger?
Old February 09, 2018, 15:12   #17
Tactical Baron
Registered

FALaholic #: 79895
Quote:
twenty bux says it was a glock, or similar "no-safety" striker fired gun. no excuse for a round in the pipe and cocked gun, especially an inherently dangerous gun like a glock, in a school environment. policy needs to change before some kid gets killed because of glocks:

http://minnesota.cbslocal.com/2018/0...holstered-gun/

I think it's time we ban small children, they are too dangerous!

There's nothing wrong with open carry, but it does require the individual to have greater situational awareness. For this, I chalk it up to an accident that thankfully just made some people shit their pants and nothing else.
Tactical Baron is online now   Reply With Quote