Go Back   The FAL Files > To Keep and Bear Arms > Competitive Shooting

Notices

Old August 18, 2016, 20:22   #51
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Check email, pal - I'm 'in'.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2016, 21:42   #52
kotengu
Registered

FALaholic #: 1594
Quote:
Originally Posted by brunop View Post
Check email, pal - I'm 'in'.
Outstanding!!!
Old August 18, 2016, 21:59   #53
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
My home is about 20 miles south of Evansville IN and less than 2 hours from Rockcastle.

If my private gun range (at my home), spare bedroom, camper, wife's home cooking, or just a beer or coffee as you pass through works in your travel logistics, PM me.

If not, I will see you on Saturday morning as I prepare my fat lazy untfit ass to be embarrassed by kotenga and brunop
Old August 18, 2016, 22:07   #54
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Wrong.

No embarrassment here or anywhere you're doing this stuff. Getting off the couch and crossing the finish line is the goal.

What, were you hoping to win it? Me either.
"How we burned in the prison camps later thinking: what would things have been like if every security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if during periods of mass arrests people had simply not sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, ham- mers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand. . . . The Organs [police] would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers . . . and notwithstanding all of Stalin‘s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt." - A. Solzhenitsyn, Gulag Archipelago
Old August 18, 2016, 22:37   #55
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

No silly goose.

My only goal is to finish before the awards dinner is over

...and more so to offer any help for anyone passing this way
Old August 18, 2016, 23:06   #56
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Old August 19, 2016, 06:35   #57
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Wrong.

No embarrassment here or anywhere you're doing this stuff. Getting off the couch and crossing the finish line is the goal.

What, were you hoping to win it? Me either.
This. With all the logistics of running the match, I am taking myself out of the running for "running" the match. I am no Stimpy, afterall.

Besides, there's a chance that a pair of twin Olympic biathlete women will show up and show us ALL how it's done. We have their interest, but there are a lot of details yet to work out. If that happens, I just hope they'll let me follow them around and learn something for a little while.

I've said it before - if you decide to do this, commit to training a little for it, and cross the starting line, you win. You're already ahead of 90% of the couch warriors out there. If you cross the finish line (no matter what the time), you win a silver medal. If you beat your time at the last match, you win gold!

Note all of the "other competitors" don't fit into this equation anywhere, other than they're all a great group of like-minded individuals who are fun to hang out with.
Old August 19, 2016, 06:48   #58
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotengu View Post
a pair of twin Olympic biathlete women will show up.
My training motivation just jumped up ten fold
Old August 19, 2016, 09:50   #59
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Be on your best behavior, sir - they are pretty dang bada$$! http://twinbiathletes.com

They're out of Colorado, so it's a long shot they'll actually come. But they have extended their support/well wishes and said they're glad to see this kind of match moving forward.

But then again, we already have ELEVEN states represented in the RO applications I've received so far, so who knows???
Old August 19, 2016, 10:48   #60
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69873
Quote:
...there's a chance that a pair of twin Olympic biathlete women will show up and show us ALL how it's done...
Quote:
WTF Bro?... They are champion 3-gunners too!!!
Quote:
"Lanny & Tracy qualify for 3 Gun Nation Pro Circuit 2016!" - http://twinbiathletes.com

Gonna make us all look like F@ckin P@ssies!!!
Old August 19, 2016, 12:09   #61
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttz View Post

Gonna make us all look like F@ckin P@ssies!!!
Yep. Every time I start to think I MIGHT be getting good, someone comes along and reminds me of my proper place in this world. I'll be the first to cheer them on as they pass me though, and try to copy just a little bit of what they're doing.

That might start with the 8hr/day, 6 day/week training plan they had for YEARS while training for the Olympics.

Who am I kidding? I complain about running 4 days a week for a few months!

Last edited by kotengu; August 19, 2016 at 12:15.
kotengu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2016, 12:39   #62
TxGunDawg
Registered

FALaholic #: 58435
Well, i lost to a women in a Master Cowboy shoot.

After shooting seven perfect rounds.

So losing to a couple of Olympians won't be so bad.

Kotengu, check your emails.
TxGunDawg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2016, 13:25   #63
Ted Kennedy
Registered

FALaholic #: 77365
http://www.ammoland.com/2015/01/bene...#axzz4Hntrz5lQ

^^^The wife of one of my buddies. She was at the second "unofficial" run n gun in Oklahoma. She came in second, beating her husband, and tying another guy. It does our sport/2nd A to have women involved!
Ted Kennedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2016, 14:43   #64
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxGunDawg View Post
Kotengu, check your emails.
Excellent - the Texan has just confirmed "in"! We are now just one dwarf shy of making the Brotherhood complete yet again. And we look to have many new brothers that will join us on our quest.

Did I mention there will be a "Mule" trophy for the competitor who carries the most weight (as a percentage of their bodyweight) and FINISHES the course? Time will only factor in if we have a tie for weight. I thought of you and your grappling hook when I put this together - well, and the dude who wore all the ceramic plates in his body armor and almost died running the course in OK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kennedy
The wife of one of my buddies. She was at the second "unofficial" run n gun in Oklahoma. She came in second, beating her husband, and tying another guy. It does our sport/2nd A to have women involved!
I met her briefly at the Rockcastle Benelli Shotgun Championship. You are correct on all counts, and she is as impressive (and friendly/down to earth) in person as she appears on the web.

Last edited by kotengu; August 19, 2016 at 17:41.
Old August 31, 2016, 16:12   #65
kotengu
Registered

Let's get this party started. If you've never been to Rockcastle and don't recognize any of these locations, don't panic - a map will be released well before the match and the course will be marked. However, there will be no flashing neon signs, and "orienteering" (following a simple map - not actual bearings and distances) is part of the challenge. People do miss turns and get off course every single match of this kind I've seen though, sometimes adding miles to their run. Pay attention, follow the map, and follow the signs. Even when you're cold/hot/wet/muddy/frustrated/mad/happy/thrilled/exhausted/elated. That being said, here's Stage 1:

Begin at the Lodge Overhang. Run to Doe Valley, go down the hill to the left, through three consecutive mud pits, and climb up inside one of the two corrugated tubes. There will be barbed wire strung over at least one of the mud pits – low enough to force you to submerge most of your gear, but high enough that you COULD hold your rifle above the water/mud if you’re careful. I highly recommend closed bolts and condoms over the muzzle as an added precaution to keep anything from obstructing your bore. Bypassing the obstacle gives you a ZERO for your entire run time. Begin Stage 1. (0.4 miles)

Stage 1: Start With The Basics

Begin behind the center of the barricade. On the buzzer, load your rifle and hit an AC-zone steel target at 50 yards once from right-handed standing, once from left-handed kneeling, once from right-handed kneeling, and once from left handed standing around the appropriate sides of the barricade. Carry weighted 50 cal ammo can to the next firing position. Make 5 hits on each target from 4 different firing positions with rifle.
Old September 01, 2016, 16:20   #66
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 470
Can I pee down the bbl to clear the mud out?

You ain't sealing a FAL against water/mud with a closed bolt and a condom.

Muddy straight out of the gate....nice.

"The game is worth the candle...always been."

"It’s hard to light a candle, easy to curse the dark instead."
stimpsonjcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 01, 2016, 18:44   #67
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Can I pee down the bbl to clear the mud out?

You ain't sealing a FAL against water/mud with a closed bolt and a condom.

Muddy straight out of the gate....nice.
Peeing down the barrel - no rule against it.

Water I'm not so worried about - you can shake it out quickly enough. But mud might be an issue. And only Mother Nature knows how much mud vs water we'll have that day.

Last edited by kotengu; September 01, 2016 at 22:02.
Old September 02, 2016, 07:56   #68
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

Old September 03, 2016, 08:16   #69
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 21662
Quote:
OK, I'm in...
rowjimmy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2016, 08:38   #70
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowjimmy View Post
OK, I'm in...
This was just Nuttz showing you what outfit he's going to wear. But whatever you're into - I won't judge.
Old September 03, 2016, 19:59   #71
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
This was just Nuttz showing you what outfit he's going to wear. But whatever you're into - I won't judge.
If Nutzz had an ass like that, I might not even care.

I did 3.5 today at a 9 min pace. I was doing this run in 8:30 last year. But, the good part is, no knee pain. I'm hoping it was runner's knee and my IT band is loosened up now. I'm supposed to do a trail run in late October with some guys from work. If I can train for that and all is good with the knee, I think I'l commit if you can hold my spot.

This is staff Friday, match Saturday? I might be able to swing this, but it's two personal days for me and I don't think I can do this and Okie. Unless I hit the lottery, but that's unlikely since I don't play.

Oh, and it's cool that I run my AR, right?
Old September 04, 2016, 20:18   #72
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Did I kill this thread?
Old September 04, 2016, 20:57   #73
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
If Nutzz had an ass like that, I might not even care.

I did 3.5 today at a 9 min pace. I was doing this run in 8:30 last year. But, the good part is, no knee pain. I'm hoping it was runner's knee and my IT band is loosened up now. I'm supposed to do a trail run in late October with some guys from work. If I can train for that and all is good with the knee, I think I'l commit if you can hold my spot.

This is staff Friday, match Saturday? I might be able to swing this, but it's two personal days for me and I don't think I can do this and Okie. Unless I hit the lottery, but that's unlikely since I don't play.

Oh, and it's cool that I run my AR, right?
So much...

Old September 04, 2016, 21:05   #74
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

I mean, you guys are OK with me being gay and all, right? It's just the AR you take issue with?
Old September 04, 2016, 21:39   #75
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Right.
Old September 04, 2016, 21:46   #76
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
Quote:
I mean, you guys are OK with me being gay and all, right? It's just the AR you take issue with?

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 04, 2016, 22:07   #77
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Does this mean nobody wants to share a room with me at Rockcastle?
Old September 04, 2016, 22:18   #78
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
I don't care if you're gay, as long as you don't drive all the way here just to shoot a poofter rifle. PM sent on the personal day thing.

And great news on the run! Although, after seeing the run times last year in Oklahoma, you don't need any more running practice -

Last edited by kotengu; September 04, 2016 at 22:24.
Old September 04, 2016, 22:38   #79
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Does this mean nobody wants to share a room with me at Rockcastle?
I am up for it.

Old September 04, 2016, 22:41   #80
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I am up for it.

I appreciate your progressive thinking.
Old September 05, 2016, 01:02   #81
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

You're not gay, or you would have had a *much* different response to what I did there.

My gay-dar is strong. Very strong.
Old September 05, 2016, 08:55   #82
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
You're not gay, or you would have had a *much* different response to what I did there.

My gay-dar is strong. Very strong.

Wait, whut? You were testing me?

I didn't even realize my sexuality was actually in question.

But, can we talk gender preferences? I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body.
Old September 05, 2016, 22:41   #83
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Any of this ever manifests in Bama's basement Ima have to cut some throats.

Old September 05, 2016, 23:30   #84
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Wait, whut? You were testing me?

I didn't even realize my sexuality was actually in question.

But, can we talk gender preferences? I'm a lesbian trapped in a man's body.
No, I wasn't testing you. Meanwhile, if you *were* gay, you'd have jumped all over my response, which was, "I am UP for it."

I was just hoping someone would see what I'd done there.
Old September 05, 2016, 23:31   #85
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by stimpsonjcat View Post
Any of this ever manifests in Bama's basement Ima have to cut some throats.
Old September 06, 2016, 20:32   #86
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

I have a hilarious potential post with multiple quotes from above that I started to post and decided not to do so in good taste

A couple of you now owe me a beer in KY or next year in GA
Old September 06, 2016, 21:25   #87
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

Quote:
I have a hilarious potential post with multiple quotes from above that I started to post and decided not to do so in good taste

A couple of you now owe me a beer in KY or next year in GA
check.

Old September 06, 2016, 22:00   #88
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
...decided not to do so in good taste.
We can do that here???
Old September 06, 2016, 23:29   #89
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

I'm inclined to buy that beer AFTER the post in question goes up on the board...

Old September 07, 2016, 04:25   #90
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

Quote:
I have a hilarious potential post with multiple quotes from above that I started to post and decided not to do so in good taste ... A couple of you now owe me a beer in KY or next year in GA
Careful, them gays might like how good you taste!

Old September 07, 2016, 04:41   #91
Invictus77
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
We can do that here???
Yes, but I am sure that it is surprising to learn. It is certainly not reflected in my normal posting behavior
Old September 07, 2016, 14:22   #92
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Careful, them gays might like how good you taste!

New low. Congratulations.
Old September 07, 2016, 14:31   #93
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
New low. Congratulations.
You have to admire his indomitable spirit. Nuttz would hit rock bottom, and keep digging.
Old September 07, 2016, 15:07   #94
kotengu
Registered

Quote:
Nuttz would hit rock bottom
This just keeps getting worse and worse. You did that on purpose!
Old September 07, 2016, 16:34   #95
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

Nuttz, Rockz, Stonez... Just gotta carry a pair and know what bottoms to Hit!!!
Old September 07, 2016, 16:43   #96
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Nuttz, Rockz, Stonez... Just gotta carry a pair and know what bottoms to Hit!!!
Remember, it's not the rounds you fire, the noise of your burst or the smoke you make...only hits count.
Old September 07, 2016, 16:44   #97
Nuttz
Semper Fidelis
Contributor

Quote:
Remember, it's not the rounds you fire, the noise of your burst or the smoke you make...only hits count.
Word...
Old September 07, 2016, 17:16   #98
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

Quote:
This just keeps getting worse and worse. You did that on purpose!
Nah, if I did it on purpose, i would have written "keep pounding" instead of "keep digging."
Old September 08, 2016, 21:56   #99
rowjimmy
Dinosaur
Gold Contributor

So, how are you guys carrying your rifel mags? Wsling are you using? What pistol?

i'm jealous.
Old September 08, 2016, 23:33   #100
stimpsonjcat
I wasn't talking to you
Silver Contributor

I'll be using the same chest rig (tactical tailor) as before.

But I am adding a rectangular bladder on my back with pouches for extra ammo and plan to run with the rifle slung on my back this time.

Pistol will be the G19 like last time on the chest rig high right with two spare mags adjacent. Same as OK last year.

What I am struggling with is the AR for the second loop at OK. I am tempted to just pack a backpack with mags and bring my old 3-gun AR chest rig, but I need to see if the G19 can fit on it anywhere.

Hell, maybe I will just waive the AR around like a guidon...it weighs what? 7 pounds?