The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reviews - products, services, and sellers

Notices

Old February 13, 2002, 20:10   #51
withergyld
Registered

FALaholic #: 5509
I moved my question to gunsmithing

Thanks Derek
Old February 16, 2002, 12:59   #52
withergyld
Registered

FALaholic #: 5509
I just got back from the range
I fed my CIA L1A1 180 rnds of milsurp and 25 reloads. I had no problems with the milsurp. My reloads are 110gr sp. The first roun would go into the top corner of the reciever. I think this is due to the oal being shorter. Next batch I make I will seat the bullet out farther. Also when I would insert a mag of reloads the first round would pop out of the mag ala Derek Jeters excitable FAL. This could have also been the cause of the miss feeds, As long as I would check to make sure the first rnd stayed in the mag it worked awesome.
Once I got her sited in all was good The front site is all the way down and I am barely hiting right on at 100 yrds. I don't like the apeture on the rear site, it is quite large and makes it hard to get the same exact site picture every time. I was able to get a 3 shot group at 100 yrds that was all the same height and 1.5" left to right. This was with the Iron Sites. I need to order a Tapco scope mount and see if I can get a smaller group
All in all I think it was money well spent
BTW gas is set at 4
Old February 25, 2002, 00:15   #53
fry
Registered

FALaholic #: 5498
MY FIRST FAL... WAS/IS A CAI L1A1 SPORTER ON AN IMBEL RECEIVER. IT IS VERY ACCURATE. I WOULD ALSO NOTE AFTER COMPARING THE IMPORTED BY CAI IMBEL RECEIVER TO A GEAR LOGO... THEY ARE DEAD NUTS THE SAME! MY GUN SURE LOOKS A LOT LIKE AN STG58! THATS WHAT THE DEALER WROTE ON THE RECEIPT. I HAVE BEEN VERY PLEASED WITH IT.

....o_o_o_o
./| ,[_____],
|lL-O|||||O_
()_)()_) )_)
fry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2002, 01:10   #54
Ichabod
Registered

FALaholic #: 5630
I must be another lucky one.picked-up a century l1a1 sporter on an Imbel receiver,inch patern.no problems here,but I cleaned real well first.Only complaint is the "butthole"stock that comes on them,and already have a replacement on the way rrm DSA.
Ichabod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2002, 02:24   #55
RocketmanVT
Registered

FALaholic #: 3006
As a 5-year veteran employee of Century Arms, may I say:
Great Gawd A-Mighty!
Thanks, y'all whut done so, for your positive feedback about Century's FALs and L1A1s. I know Century has sent out some bad stuff in the past, as well as I know they've sent out some righteous shooters - hopefully, a lot more of the latter than the former. Much of the problem stems from the fact that a very small number of the guys 'n' gals there just flat-out have no business working for the company (and if you're reading this, Gary B., you know that to be true.) These clowns and twits can, and HAVE, screw(ed) up the simplest of jobs - like cleaning the barrels BEFORE installation on the upper receiver...Century, like the vast majority of companies, operates on a volume basis: The more we can get out, the lower we can keep the prices. Inevitably, some dolts will take this philosophy to an extreme, and skimp on doing their assigned job properly - all in the name of numbers at the end of their day. Usually, we catch the f***-up before it even goes to test-fire...But, sometimes not...
Believe it or not, CAI/CIA DOES care about quality - we're talkin' FIREARMS here, fer cryin' out loud, not squirt-guns! But bear in mind, when we get a shipment of foreign semi-auto rifles, they have to be completely torn down to satisfy that annoying little group we know as BATF. The parts, in various degrees of re-usability, are gathered up to be re-assembled into a legal configuration - inevitably, some parts that should've been tossed will find their way into a rifle, later causing the end-user any number of problems and outrage.
I don't seek to excuse - merely explain, and perhaps temper the anger of you fine gents and ladies who have encountered malfunctioning (and ugly! )rifles. I sincerely hope that any screw-ups you've come across are easily remedied, be it Century's replacing a part or parts, or taking the gun back; no company can long afford to produce crap and expect to stay in business (unless it's a government... )

Okie-dokie, my soap-box is beginning to cave in; time to read more stuff here. BTW, I no longer work for CIA - I've moved to Arizona, to be with the woman of my dreams. So, please accept this post for what it is - and keep the lead a-flyin'!!!

Rocketman
Old February 25, 2002, 11:03   #56
BUFF
Registered

FALaholic #: 789
Rocketman:

I have two Century rifles, a CETME and an R1A1.

Both are excellent examples of factory built kit guns at the entry level price. Both were made with good used parts, both fuction reliably and without fail, and both were tremendous bargains. My R1A1 is a metric IMBEL with an Australian kit, and it was about the best $425 I ever spent. I have nicer FALs, but none were the same value the Century rifles were.

I would guess numerous good rifles go to happy owners who say nothing, while those who have problems are, understandably, more likely to say something.

Is my DSA STG a nicer rifle? Yes, but it cost nearly twice as much.
Old February 25, 2002, 13:53   #57
shootist
Registered

FALaholic #: 4686
Both of my century L1A1s were a great buy including the one built on a Hesse receiver.
shootist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 25, 2002, 18:13   #58
mphelps
Registered

FALaholic #: 5684
YIKES! What a relief! I just came in here to see what the skinny was on CA's L1A1s and am sooooooo glad I did. I am looking for my first FAL and saw one of these......things and wanted to get "the word" on em before I did anything. Thanks guys.
mphelps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 02, 2016, 06:35   #59
RobCo
Registered

FALaholic #: 78343
Hello, I'm new to the forum but not firearms. I'm glad I found this post and I was wondering about the quality of the Century Arms FALs. And seems that the quality of them is inconsistent so I'm not sure if taking a chance at getting one for a low price is worth it. And even if it is bad...that could be remedied.

Of course being in NJ just makes it more of a pain since FN FALs are banned by name but you can have any of the other variants

Or maybe it would be better just to a get a kit and receiver and build it myself.

thanks
RobCo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 02, 2016, 09:02   #60
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
CAI Imported IMBEL/Argy = good receiver, restorable
CAI manufactured receivers = crap.
Nothing has changed since 2002.
Old September 02, 2016, 12:06   #61
ftierson
Registered

FALaholic #: 13827
Wow...

Talk about a blast from the past...

Forrest
ftierson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 03, 2016, 15:44   #62
Brian in MN
Registered

FALaholic #: 289
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Nothing has changed since 2002.

Except that now there is a lot more of that Century crap out there and Century has some real competition in that market segment from the good people over at IO.
Old May 18, 2018, 20:06   #63
southernilfarm
Registered

FALaholic #: 80677
Howdy folks,

New guy here. I'm primarily a Garand and other WWII guy, but find the FAL interesting.

About 18 years ago I purchased a CIA L1A1 without any research and found it would not feed. Life was busy with kids and work, so it has occupied a slot of shame in the gun safe until recently when I pulled it out and discovered it still won't feed. I did have a gun enthusiast buddy eyeball the rifle and try to make it work. Long story short, it won't. We've tried different ammo and several different magazines without any improvement.

The serial number is below 100 on the CIA receiver. I did call CIA a few years ago and described my problem with the folks there. They were no help.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
southernilfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2018, 20:39   #64
308/223shooter
FALAholic enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 15405
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernilfarm View Post
Howdy folks,

New guy here. I'm primarily a Garand and other WWII guy, but find the FAL interesting.

About 18 years ago I purchased a CIA L1A1 without any research and found it would not feed. Life was busy with kids and work, so it has occupied a slot of shame in the gun safe until recently when I pulled it out and discovered it still won't feed. I did have a gun enthusiast buddy eyeball the rifle and try to make it work. Long story short, it won't. We've tried different ammo and several different magazines without any improvement.

The serial number is below 100 on the CIA receiver. I did call CIA a few years ago and described my problem with the folks there. They were no help.

Ideas?

Thanks,
Mike
Depending on who made the receiver, the problem could be a easy fix, or a costly one. Could you post some pics of the receiver? Both sides, the top without the dust cover, and the bottom.

Before you die, you should have a will with extra copies. The old saying "No one will screw you faster than family" is bloody well true.
308/223shooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 19, 2018, 11:09   #65
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
^^Yes^^ Helps to know what we're dealing with. CAI receivers had "issues", Imbels generally did not.

I have a CAI from the same era, but luckily blundered into one on an Imbel so most problems were fairly easy.

Two cautions, the headspace on mine was way off, suggest you check yours. Second, check your Gas Piston, CAI used a two-piece Piston of their own that has a tendency to break and should be replaced before it does.

Some info you may find useful;
http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=108077
Old May 19, 2018, 12:29   #66
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Is there a prefix? A serial number below 100 may be C 0100 and an Argy. An excellent receiver. Just like I posted 2 years ago in this thread.

Old May 19, 2018, 12:37   #67
OLDMANPBK
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
I have #49. A rare collectors item.

"Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?"
-Patrick Henry-

Inside every progressive is a totalitarian screaming to get out.
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 05, 2018, 16:18   #68
Erik the Red
Registered

FALaholic #: 18630
Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDMANPBK View Post
I have #49. A rare collectors item.

That's the only type of Century Upper I've dealt with that fully sucked. The feed ramps were cut way low which send the projectiles into the chamber face, instead of the chamber. There's ways around it, but its not pretty.

I believe these uppers were ones Century made using the old DCI Uppers, but re-cut them for Inch mags and fully screwed up the feed ramps.

Even though these uppers suck, you can build off of them. Any FAL will function if you spend enough time on it. Only exception is the Williams Uppers (unsafe).

-Erik

www.campaignforliberty.com

Sons of Confederate Veterans Camp 458 Col. Isaac W. Smith Portland, Oregon.
www.scvportland.org

"To you, Sons of Confederate Veterans, we submit the vindication of the Cause for which we fought; to your strength will be given the defense of the Confederate soldier's good name, the guardianship of his history, the emulation of his virtues, the perpetuation of those principles he loved and which made him glorious and which you also cherish. Remember, it is your duty to see that the true history of the South is presented to future generations."
Lt. Gen. Stephen D. Lee, CSA, Commander, United Confederate Veterans, 1906
Erik the Red is online now   Reply With Quote