Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > Marketplace

Notices

Old June 13, 2014, 19:53   #51
Roland
Banned

FALaholic #: 73421
Quote:
Originally Posted by heddonpal View Post
Who do I contact for an up grade for a dealers account.

thanks

derek******** ***************** ***************************************** width="1" height="1">
An administrator shoud probably be able to help you Derek. Send a PM to one...
Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2016, 07:39   #52
Flypaper
Craftsman
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 71040
I got a email from a guy who is telling me that it is OK to counter offer on a MP add instead of sending a PM to the seller of the offer.

I told him it was frowned upon and a PM was the thing to do..... at least that's what common sense tells me. I have seen many people get heckled for counter offering on A MP thread and consider it in poor taste myself.

Am I'm wrong in assuming this?
Flypaper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2016, 08:28   #53
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypaper View Post
I got a email from a guy who is telling me that it is OK to counter offer on a MP add instead of sending a PM to the seller of the offer.

I told him it was frowned upon and a PM was the thing to do..... at least that's what common sense tells me. I have seen many people get heckled for counter offering on A MP thread and consider it in poor taste myself.

The rules don't mandate that the counter offer be via PM. But I'm in agreement with you, it's in poor taste and I feel that out of respect, offers and negotiations be made via PM.
Old July 03, 2016, 09:02   #54
Flypaper
Craftsman
Gold Contributor

In my opinion, the first paragraph in this sticky covers public lowball offers.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254348

To publicly offer less than what the seller is asking for his stuff, is publicly devaluing his product.

The only reason I bring this up is because someone publicly counter offered on a MP ad about three months ago. I called him out on it and told him that a PM was the way to go.... Seems like trolling to me and puts into question the value the product.

So, three months later and this guy is emailing me telling me that I am wrong and that he is right to do what he does. He believes that a public counter offer is completely acceptable and in line with Jens rules, as stated in the OP by Jen.

Am I interpreting the rules wrong?

From WEGs Trolling sticky, I would say not.... But from Jens marketplace rules, it appears that I am.
Old July 03, 2016, 12:53   #55
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by MK ULTRA View Post
JEN

When a seller posts something for sale how is it determined who gets it??

Example:

1.) You may have one buyer that posts "I'LL TAKE IT" first, time wise.

2.) Another buyer sends a PM, sent later time wise, that the seller reads first. So who gets the item?

I think it should go to the buyer that posted "I'LL TAKE IT" first time wise on the ad. If the seller wants a PM or an email he should state that in his post. Other wise the first buyer to say "I'LL TAKE IT" should get it.

I think this should be listed here so it won't be an issue.

I could find this nowhere at the top in the bullet points.

thank you

Jim
That's why e-mail works so well. E-mail shows clearly in my in-box, who was first, regardless of time zone. PMs are a grossly inferior parallel communication method. Useful for people who wish to conceal their identities, but those people shouldn't be using marketplace anyway.
Old July 03, 2016, 12:59   #56
L Haney
Seriously Ponderin'
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 20446
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
Useful for people who wish to conceal their identities, but those people shouldn't be using marketplace anyway.
My email is lowell.haney@whatever.net, but that seems to be far from universal. MOST email addresses I see have no relationship to a 'real' identity.

Are you seeing otherwise Mark?
Old July 03, 2016, 13:13   #57
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Flypaper, my take is that if someone wants to sell the same product for less, it does not take much of his time to start his own thread.
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 03, 2016, 13:19   #58
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by L Haney View Post
My email is lowell.haney@whatever.net, but that seems to be far from universal. MOST email addresses I see have no relationship to a 'real' identity.

Are you seeing otherwise Mark?
Not what I meant. Yes, it is correct that "falguy999" doesn't do anything to identify the user. But "falguy999@wherever.com" is true other than at FalFiles.

It can be challenging for me to associate a FF user name with an e-mail address and a real name. Frequently e-mail addresses include the real name as well. Bob Jones (falguy999@webprovider.com).

It's a lot easier to search 1000 e-mails for a name, than a dozen PMs. I turned off my PM years ago. I don't understand any advantage to having to log into a third party site to read a message, versus just having it appear in my in-box. I have had trouble with people who e-mail me through the falfiles, but their reply-to e-mail address is invalid.
Old July 03, 2016, 13:47   #59
Flypaper
Craftsman
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raubvogel View Post
Flypaper, my take is that if someone wants to sell the same product for less, it does not take much of his time to start his own thread.
Not what I was getting at.

Guy has a item on the MP for 120.00

Potential buyer posts.... " I'll give you 60.00 for it" instead of a PM negotiation.

What the potential buyer did was completely devalue the OPs original price.

Sure, the buyer wants a good deal.... but going that route appears to be trolling to me....
Old July 03, 2016, 21:11   #60
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Quote:
In my opinion, the first paragraph in this sticky covers public lowball offers.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=254348

To publicly offer less than what the seller is asking for his stuff, is publicly devaluing his product.

The only reason I bring this up is because someone publicly counter offered on a MP ad about three months ago. I called him out on it and told him that a PM was the way to go.... Seems like trolling to me and puts into question the value the product.

So, three months later and this guy is emailing me telling me that I am wrong and that he is right to do what he does. He believes that a public counter offer is completely acceptable and in line with Jens rules, as stated in the OP by Jen.

Am I interpreting the rules wrong?

From WEGs Trolling sticky, I would say not.... But from Jens marketplace rules, it appears that I am.
I can see where the confusion comes from. Seems we could use a little clarification from the PTB. Jen doesn't specify but Gary seems to narrow it down some.
Guys???
Old July 03, 2016, 21:21   #61
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:

What does "counter-offer" mean?

Some guy is selling something for $100, and you "counter-offer" in the ad for $99?

If that's what you are talking about, then we have to deal with some guy who wants to sell a Mini-14 for $500, and a whole parade of douchebag counter-offers in increments of 10 cents?

You know that's some dumb shit right there.

Don't do it.

If you don't like the seller's price, and you feel like haggling, do it by carrier pigeon or smoke signals. Don't keep bumping a marketplace listing with that sort of stuff.

We can think of some legit sort of thing, like a guy who offers an STG kit on IMBEL for $900 and somebody says they will buy it today for $800. That's not asinine, but it still bumps the post needlessly. Send a PM or something. If you want to post "I sent you a PM," or "offer sent in PM" in case the seller isn't checking his PM's dilligently, I don't see a real problem with that. But, if I see a bunch of those sorts of posts to another Mini-14 FS ad, I'm gonna get pissed, and I'll start issuing nastygrams.

Marketplace is not a playpen for diaper club.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 04, 2016, 19:41   #62
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

There ya go, Fly. Have your heckler read the above.
Old July 23, 2016, 17:15   #63
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
I have cleaned this thread up. W.E.G. has the final word.

If you don't like the seller's price, and you feel like haggling, do it by carrier pigeon or smoke signals. Don't keep bumping a marketplace listing with that sort of stuff.

If you disagree, take it to him, but you had be ready to accept the reply.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10, 2017, 13:17   #64
pureveggie
Falguync
Contributor

FALaholic #: 24458
New wtb ad ques

Hi I'm gregg from nc I just got back on fal files today after being away from the forum for many yrs!! I placed an ad in the wtb marketplace and just wondered if the administrator needed to pre approve the ads before posting because it did not appear yet??? It's been awhile!!??? Please advise thanks kindly gregg just wanted to make sure it gets posted thanks gregg
pureveggie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 15, 2017, 18:56   #65
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by pureveggie View Post
Hi I'm gregg from nc I just got back on fal files today after being away from the forum for many yrs!! I placed an ad in the wtb marketplace and just wondered if the administrator needed to pre approve the ads before posting because it did not appear yet??? It's been awhile!!??? Please advise thanks kindly gregg just wanted to make sure it gets posted thanks gregg
Posts aren't moderated prior to appearing here. If you posted it, it will be visible instantly. You must have FUBAR'd the post in some way so review your for sale ad and give it another shot.