The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > General Non-Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old August 17, 2018, 12:26   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Code reader

I have a 08 4 runner and the check engine light came on. Rig has 70,000 miles and maintained so it gripes me the slip light and check engine light comes on. Dealer is 60 mile round trip to one you can trust but most dealers charge $85 to hook up a reader for the code and tell you the problem.

AutoZone car parts will read for free what the computors says and sell you a reader you can leave in the rig for $50 on sale today. The check engine light is tied into all your systems and can cause other problems if you don't reset it. My problem that caused the check engine light to come on was a loose gas cap, daughter had fuel put in and attendant didn't tighten cap.

It sucks Toyota would hook up your check engine light to a loose gas cap and possibly harm your rig over it but now that I have my own reader I don't need Toyota to warn me a gas cap ain't tight.
Old August 17, 2018, 12:40   #2
djfin
Registered

FALaholic #: 62265
Check light

Somebody got you a little misinformation. The check engine light is just a working light and is not capable of causing any damage if left on. The gas cap being loose causes an evaporation system error because of the required lose fuel system on the vehicle. If the parts store will. Lear the code go for it if not on some cars you can clear it yourself by disconnecting the battery it depends on you model. Try google
djfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 12:51   #3
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Does it have special west coast emission standards or is this on all 4Runners?

Last edited by MACV; August 17, 2018 at 12:58.
MACV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 13:00   #4
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by djfin View Post
Somebody got you a little misinformation. The check engine light is just a working light and is not capable of causing any damage if left on. The gas cap being loose causes an evaporation system error because of the required lose fuel system on the vehicle. If the parts store will. Lear the code go for it if not on some cars you can clear it yourself by disconnecting the battery it depends on you model. Try google
Very few problems can happen with leaving a check engine light on. The wife's Lexus lit up with an oxygen sensor and it made the traction control system light come on. I took it to the dealer to get it diagnosed, brought it home and replaced the sensor. Dealer said that even though the traction control light flipped on it was not being affected

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 13:00   #5
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfin View Post
When talking to the dealer they informed me that the check engine light comming on is the computors telling your rig systems like your abs (automatic brake sensors) can't be run by computor. I was informed I must bring it in to get the light reset for the ABS and other systems to run by computor. While you are right the check engine light is a warning light I was told other things are happening when the light comes on.
Old August 17, 2018, 14:05   #6
toys
Registered

FALaholic #: 64100
if you google for how to read the codes on your car, you maybe able to short certain pins and read the flashes.
toys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 14:15   #7
Bawana jim
Registered

I am buying the reader because it also resets the check engine light. Since Auto zone reader said it was just a gas cap I see no reason to not reset it myself. Shop told me if the reader said it was a gas cap to just drive the rig up and they would reset for free. It's not free when it's a 60 mile round trip.

For $50 I can buy a reader that I can leave in the rig for the next time I get fuel and the attendant doesn't tighten the cap. Pia to deal with this money grubbing bs by the car companies but there are ways to get around them thank god. A stop engine light over a loose gas cap is pure bs to rob people.
Old August 17, 2018, 14:55   #8
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16313
$20 for a Bluetooth ELM OBD-II device that talks to your Android device and runs a free or $5 app - Torque. Paid version does more, but you can try the free version to see if it works for you. I love it. I have used the same reader and app on Chevy, Ford, Toyota, and Kia vehicles. Live data streams, allows more in-depth troubleshooting. Not bi-directional, but for the money and ease of use, can't really beat it.

ETA: Yes, it reads and clears P codes.
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 15:00   #9
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Attached Images
File Type: jpg this little light of mine.jpg (22.9 KB, 35 views)

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 15:05   #10
C-ya
One day at a time...
Contributor

FALaholic #: 16313
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
I still haven't gotten all of the glue residue off the dash on mine from a PO that thought electrical tape was better than fixing the issue.
C-ya is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 15:17   #11
Bawana jim
Registered

I have a 94 jeep wrangler that has all the gauges so I know the oil pressure and temperature so it pissed me off when that check engine light came on. Had it put on the reader and the check engine light came on due to a bare wire that caused just enough voltage change to make the light come on. The new radio I had put into it was installed poorly so a bit of bare wire was the problem.

No way to find which wire so I solved the problem with black electrical tape...over the check engine light.
Old August 17, 2018, 15:43   #12
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
I put the laptop and Tuner Pro RT on my old OBD-1 Camaro.

That VSS was smoking!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 254 mph.jpg (122.7 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg VSS.jpg (143.8 KB, 22 views)

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 16:29   #13
Gary Harwell
Becoming Embittered
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 39460
well worth it just to clear the annoying light. Mine came on 8 times in a 2000 mile trip last week, always code 2098 which has about 100 potential causes.
Gary Harwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 16:52   #14
djfin
Registered

FALaholic #: 62265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
When talking to the dealer they informed me that the check engine light comming on is the computors telling your rig systems like your abs (automatic brake sensors) can't be run by computor. I was informed I must bring it in to get the light reset for the ABS and other systems to run by computor. While you are right the check engine light is a warning light I was told other things are happening when the light comes on.
While the Check engine light coming on does shut down some computer controlled functions ( ABS , Traction controls ) it will not harm the vehicle in any way. As your vehicle can run without these systems no harm is done. Getting the scan tool is a very good choice as you can save a lot of money on dealer repair bills and reset the CEL yourself after scanning for any other issues. Remember that the dealer has a big $$ vested interest in you coming in for a CEL reset.
djfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 17:44   #15
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 27964
I ended up with autoenginuity , ford enhanced to work on my 2004 6.uh-0h powerchoke
I could not get by without it
hardheaded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 18:42   #16
fal762
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 66358
hardheaded,
Did you get the scan tool or one of the IOS/Android tools? If the scan tool, how do you like it? Does it read the U,B, and C codes pretty well? How about the mfgr specific codes? Anything else?
Been looking at one of the Mopar ones but $$$, especially when I have an Actron OBDII/CAN BUS reader. This reader is really getting dated though so have been looking at newer ones that have more capability (mfgr codes).
Really wouldn't mind having one right now so I can reset my ABS controller after bleeding my brakes (had a hard line blow/rust out on my '01 2500) instead of hauling ass down a gravel road and engaging ABS to reset it.

My bad, mine's an older Innova, not at home now to see which model.

Last edited by fal762; August 18, 2018 at 00:07. Reason: typed in wrong scan tool.
fal762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 21:56   #17
Shoebox1.1
Registered

FALaholic #: 77589
Unless the light is blinking your in no danger of hurting anything. If it blinks that’s a misfire which can hurt the cat converter ( which they do not want to happen). Did you pull codes out of it? Toyota will turn on slip/vdc light to “ get your attention” to get the car to service for diagnosis. Gas cap could do that. I left Toyota in 2010 and I don’t remember many issues with taco trucks back then. We’re here to help.
Shoebox1.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 22:08   #18
MACV
Registered

FALaholic #: 1167
Quote:
Originally Posted by hardheaded View Post
I ended up with autoenginuity , ford enhanced to work on my 2004 6.uh-0h powerchoke
I could not get by without it
I have never known anyone with a Power Stroke that didn't have problems..never. My wife's friend was towing horses from N Carolina to Mass in a year old F-250. SOB died beside the interstate with a trailer load of 3 horses. Anyone who has towed horses knows what a big problem this is. Horses dont like semi's whizzing by them at 70 mph. A local stable came out and got the horses unloaded an back to their place without any getting hurt. State Police helped with traffic too.
Old August 17, 2018, 22:38   #19
Bawana jim
Registered

Autozone does a free read on a check engine light then gives a computor readout of what they find. Mine said gas cap (Code po455)
Old August 17, 2018, 22:54   #20
plinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 8679
I've got an 8 year old Innova code reader at home, fairly basic, has some live data capability.

https://www.tooltopia.com/equus-3150.aspx This one appears to be similar to the one I have, does ABS to some level as well.

I have access to a couple OTC's & an older Snap-on at work and they are much more capable and can read more advanced codes (module, ABS, ete) and do more in general then the inexpensive readers can, especially with the special tests they can preform, Cost is the big problem with them.
plinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 23:04   #21
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
I had the check light come on for a loose gas cap. Unhooked the battery overnight and it never came back on. Computer code storage battery has 8 hr. reset on most cars.
Old August 17, 2018, 23:15   #22
suppressor
Registered

FALaholic #: 64166
Gas attendant?

Full Serve gas?
suppressor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17, 2018, 23:26   #23
Bawana jim
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by suppressor View Post
Gas attendant?

Full Serve gas?
Oregon doesn't allow you to pump your own gas.
Old August 18, 2018, 03:13   #24
Andy2205
Registered

FALaholic #: 26110
I bought a USB to OBD cable on Ebay and then found a pirate copy of the Toyota Techstream software on the web. I did this after the local dealership tried to rip me a new butthole to code my new TPMS sensors into my Tundra's ECU. What they wanted $$$ to type in the new TPMS codes was beyond anything reasonable, for a task which is time limited by the ECU to 5 minutes. Bite me yota man!
Old August 18, 2018, 09:51   #25
plinker
Registered

FALaholic #: 8679
Knowing what the code means makes a big difference in what can be a nuisance (EVAP code from loose gas cap) or a potential drivability problem (misfire code from failing coil).

Sometimes the code is triggered by a different problem and it doesnt show up until down the line. For instance, an intake leak causing an o2 sensor to show the vehicle is running lean (replacing the o2 sensor wont really help).

There is a lot of information on the internet if you look for it, various message boards for vehicles can usually yield results and coupled with common sense a solution can be found. A lot of times some problems are common enough with certain vehicles it doesnt take long or much to diagnose what it is.

Just some food for thought.
plinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 18, 2018, 11:45   #26
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by fal762 View Post
hardheaded,
Did you get the scan tool or one of the IOS/Android tools? If the scan tool, how do you like it? Does it read the U,B, and C codes pretty well? How about the mfgr specific codes? Anything else?
Been looking at one of the Mopar ones but $$$, especially when I have an Actron OBDII/CAN BUS reader. This reader is really getting dated though so have been looking at newer ones that have more capability (mfgr codes).
Really wouldn't mind having one right now so I can reset my ABS controller after bleeding my brakes (had a hard line blow/rust out on my '01 2500) instead of hauling ass down a gravel road and engaging ABS to reset it.

My bad, mine's an older Innova, not at home now to see which model.
For what I do it is great
I have the scan tool that hooks up to a lap top
It runs and clears all the codes including ABS and has a live data feed that is pretty useful when diagnosing things like FICM voltage and HPOP pressures
It will record on the fly so I can catch those pesky intermittent issues Ford powerstroke is famous for
I can buzz test the injectors and manipulate the VGT turbo

I don't think it will command ABS functions like a Rotundra will but I'm still learning how to use it , the techs at autoenginuity will have that answer
Old August 18, 2018, 12:12   #27
hardheaded
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by MACV View Post
I have never known anyone with a Power Stroke that didn't have problems..never. My wife's friend was towing horses from N Carolina to Mass in a year old F-250. SOB died beside the interstate with a trailer load of 3 horses. Anyone who has towed horses knows what a big problem this is. Horses dont like semi's whizzing by them at 70 mph. A local stable came out and got the horses unloaded an back to their place without any getting hurt. State Police helped with traffic too.
I probably should tow a horse behind me just so I have a means of transportation when the 6.uh-0h decides it needs another $1k parts infusion

Whoever masterminded the emissions strategy on these engines should be executed
Old August 18, 2018, 12:58   #28
fal762
Registered
Contributor

hardheaded,
Thanks for the reply. My understanding is it does reset the ABS (at least in the Dodge module) according to TDR forum.

I imagine you've been on their site and seen the Ford module and what all it can do. Pretty impressive. If not, and for anyone else, here's a link to the Ford module https://www.autoenginuity.com/produc...d-family-ei01/

Last edited by fal762; August 18, 2018 at 13:03.
Old August 18, 2018, 15:17   #29
STG_58_guy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 65886
Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
I have a 1999 Expidition with 230k on it. Check engine light has been for the last 100k. I monitor gas mileage. If it goes down I fix something. If it quits running, I fix it. I check the fluids. The check engine light is a tool to get you to buy aftermarket parts.
STG_58_guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old August 19, 2018, 19:21   #30
fal762
Registered
Contributor

In my state a CEL will fail an inspection.
Old August 20, 2018, 08:51   #31
JColdIron
Registered

FALaholic #: 24587
Quote:
Originally Posted by fal762 View Post
In my state a CEL will fail an inspection.
Mine too, which often is ridiculous since many of the codes are not emissions or safety related.

Don't know about Toyotas but with Jeep/Chrysler/Dodge products you can cycle the key to accessory three times quickly and it will show you the code in the Odometer window. A quick googling will tell you what to worry about or not from there.

I have a scan tool as well but mostly for the CEL deactivation. Sometimes a minor hiccup will throw a light and once removed will not pop back up.
JColdIron is online now   Reply With Quote