The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AR Files

Notices

Old July 17, 2017, 10:28   #1
fnogger
Registered

FALaholic #: 51053
well i done it

Got some extra $$, started looking at ARs... because, well, I don't have one, haven't had one in 25+ years, but I really like 9mm carbines and ...

Then I started talking with a buddy... ended up on PSA's site. Yeah, I know.

Waffled between a complete A2 style lower and a complete glock mag 9mm lower and a complete 5.56/223 upper... but funds were just a tad too tight.

Ended up ordering one of these - http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-2...516446246.html

$500 to my local enabler, I have a free transfer from a prior deal, so $500 into my hands.

Kinda drifted off from the 9mm carbine, but after discussing with my AR buddy we figure we can do a 9mm carbine later...
Old July 17, 2017, 14:12   #2
hueyville
Registered

FALaholic #: 74557
That is actually a nice rifle. I am not a fan of pistol cartridges in an AR. Carry a SIG 40 or 1911 in 45 on belt everyday plus a SIG 9mm loaded with 147 grain Federal that's just barely subsonic with an Osprey suppressor in my briefcase. With a major power handgun on hip and 9mm suppressed high capacity pistol in briefcase want my rifle to be a rifle.

A 20" melonite barrel made of 4150 steel with Carpenter 158 bolt plus nice free float hand guard plus other good parts think you got a bargain. A long barrel, fast twist AR is what you want if only going to own one for the moment. My favorite barrel length in a AR is 18" followed by a two way tie between 20" and 14.7". 20" for medium to long range work and 14.7" for compact and handy size. 18" is kind of my "do all" length of choice and have more 18's than any other single length. Bet your going to be totally happy with your rifle. Don't think I can build the same rifle from parts any cheaper. Put a 2.5-10x to 4.5-18x scope on it and bet it will launch 62, 69 and 77 grain bullets sub MOA. Congrats, if not overextended on rifles sending funds out now and have to pick up off lay-away might just order one of those myself. Looking forward to range report.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 14:20   #3
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Want to get a 9mm carbine on the cheap have you looked at the high point? 200$ish and great little rifle.
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 17, 2017, 14:43   #4
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
That is actually a nice rifle. I am not a fan of pistol cartridges in an AR. Carry a SIG 40 or 1911 in 45 on belt everyday plus a SIG 9mm loaded with 147 grain Federal that's just barely subsonic with an Osprey suppressor in my briefcase. With a major power handgun on hip and 9mm suppressed high capacity pistol in briefcase want my rifle to be a rifle.

A 20" melonite barrel made of 4150 steel with Carpenter 158 bolt plus nice free float hand guard plus other good parts think you got a bargain. A long barrel, fast twist AR is what you want if only going to own one for the moment. My favorite barrel length in a AR is 18" followed by a two way tie between 20" and 14.7". 20" for medium to long range work and 14.7" for compact and handy size. 18" is kind of my "do all" length of choice and have more 18's than any other single length. Bet your going to be totally happy with your rifle. Don't think I can build the same rifle from parts any cheaper. Put a 2.5-10x to 4.5-18x scope on it and bet it will launch 62, 69 and 77 grain bullets sub MOA. Congrats, if not overextended on rifles sending funds out now and have to pick up off lay-away might just order one of those myself. Looking forward to range report.
Yup. Figure for social issues, the FAL is still my go-to. But I do golf ball matches at 100 yards wtih a 22lr - think I'll use this to stretch that to 200+

Just got a new scope for my 22 target rig, so the old Simmons WTC 6.5-20x50 is available to be mounted...

Still need mags (short one for bench, a few 30s), some irons Just In Case, maybe replacement pistol grip, maybe sling stud up front to put a knock-off Harris bipod...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
Want to get a 9mm carbine on the cheap have you looked at the high point? 200$ish and great little rifle.
Nope. Lack of extra parts/accessories (not that that is a major concern for me), expensive/proprietary mags, etc.

That and it would look silly with my Ruger 44 mag carbine, etc
Old July 21, 2017, 19:44   #5
fnogger
Registered

And it is here.

Unfortunately, the extra tall scope rings that I found are about 2mm too short for my massive objective... so no range report. Buddy is bringing me a riser Sunday.... so range report Sunday afternoon.

First impressions....

Immediately swapped grip out for an Ergo based on fondling a bunch of different grips in local shops. Learned how to find and replace the safety detent and safety detent spring.

Learned that m-lok is kinda a pain until you view 2 or 3 youtube videos.

Prefer the DSA extended inch-like selector I have on my FAL over the little thing on the AR.

Pretty sure the m-lok rail will be traded off - not exactly comfortable to handle. Not sure what I'd replace it with - a plain tube is interesting, but I might want a stud for a bipod to attach ...

Still don't like the sound of the buffer in the tube. Rifle also apparently DRY ...
Old July 22, 2017, 09:43   #6
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by fnogger View Post
And it is here.

Learned how to find and replace the safety detent and safety detent spring.

Yep, that's fun for sure.

Still don't like the sound of the buffer in the tube. Rifle also apparently DRY ...
You can lightly lube the Recoil Spring and Tube, but if it gets to bugging you too much;
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod85360.aspx
Old July 22, 2017, 10:11   #7
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAINER View Post
You can lightly lube the Recoil Spring and Tube, but if it gets to bugging you too much;
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...prod85360.aspx
I always put a healthy coat of grease on the recoil/buffer spring, which significantly dampens the noise.
Old July 22, 2017, 14:19   #8
ALL FAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 24447
The "Sproing" sound is ridiculous.

That's why my .556 is piston driven.

Nice rifle FNOGGER, I bet you end up liking it a lot.
COBC #1- That's all Folks.
ALL FAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2017, 14:26   #9
OLDMANPBK
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
If the spring really, really bothers you.
https://www.jprifles.com/1.4.7.2_os.php

COBC #4
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017, 15:32   #10
fnogger
Registered

Shoots really nice.

Trigger is heavy compared to my 10/22 target build, but crisp and no creep. Certainly worth the $30 I paid for the complete rifle to get the 20" barrel (vs. 18") and the "Enhanced and Polished" trigger.

Ended up taking my harris knockoff bipod off - bounce was killing accuracy, much like on my target 22 setup, not too suprising...

Turns out p-mags suck for accuracy. I was getting OK groups once I removed the bipod - 2 per mag. One from left side feeding and one from right side feeding. Fortunately, only spent $15 on it (10 rounder for bench use). Switching to a Colt branded 20 fixed that right up.

Got rained on by 2 different storms, so I didn't stretch out to 100 yards, but at 50 yards I was getting 2 inch groups with cheap Aguila 55gr FMJ. Also shot some Federal American Eagle 62grn FMJ but that was while using both the bipod and the p-mag, so groups were unrealistically large (6-7" if all fliers, etc counted)

Next range trip will include proper rest and some higher quality ammo.

Obligatory pic -

Last edited by fnogger; July 23, 2017 at 16:13.
fnogger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017, 18:39   #11
M90A1
Registered

FALaholic #: 3409
This is the first I've heard of a mag affecting the accuracy of a rifle. Can you explain how that works?
M90A1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2017, 19:08   #12
fnogger
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by M90A1 View Post
This is the first I've heard of a mag affecting the accuracy of a rifle. Can you explain how that works?
Dunno, but it was weird. I was shooting 5 shot strings. Shots 2 and 4 were close to each other, and several inches away shots 1 3 and 5 were hanging out. First time was a "thats weird", second time was "wtf?" and third time was "wonder if I change mags?" Changed mags and a 5 shot group just under 2 inches appeared.

Weather was nasty and I wasn't in a good mood, but I've still got the mag. I'll try and document it all just for giggles.