The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old April 23, 2013, 22:23   #151
boricua
Registered

FALaholic #: 3139
non c'è, mia moglie e ho viaggiato con gli studenti delle scuole superiori durante il freno a molla mia moglie era un insegnante di spagnolo e abbiamo viaggiato con EF Tours. Siamo entrambi in pensione ora e spero di tornare in Spagna e in Italia e spendere molto più tempo di 10 giorni!
Old April 23, 2013, 22:29   #152
Gunfreak25
Registered

FALaholic #: 55057
Wow this is too cool, what are the gun laws in Italy like? My grandfather was born in Palermo and came to the US as a kid.
Old April 24, 2013, 08:15   #153
Fiorina
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 66202
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunfreak25 View Post
Wow this is too cool, what are the gun laws in Italy like? My grandfather was born in Palermo and came to the US as a kid.
I'm not sure what they are like actually. That would be a good question to ask Paulo. I am Italian but I wasn't born there or lived there. I've been there to visit family. Most of my relatives here are from there so that's why I can speak it. (Sort of).
Old April 24, 2013, 08:37   #154
paolo.orange
Registered

FALaholic #: 49789
Not that bad actually. Semiauto only, not limitation of caliber except 9x19 Luger that is still forbidden to civian shooter (we have 9x21 that is the same). No significative restriction on magazines capacity. Gun License for sport purposes is issued after 1 month providing that 2 medical/psychological checks went OK.
paolo.orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24, 2013, 08:49   #155
boricua
Registered

Paulo I have a question for you?
I know lets see you come to Alaska... i know I can take you to the Club and even shoot in a Match... have loaner rifles and always find enough gear for a visitor shooter to use
If someone from America can go visit Italy can he or she participate and shoot in your Club or Matches?
by the way those pictures you posted are like postcards !
Old May 07, 2013, 23:45   #156
gus
Registered

FALaholic #: 12709
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo.orange View Post
The best strategy I was able to plan to eliminate the rear upper play is a laser/epoxy bedding.

I was not able to surely identify the spot were the upper gets in touch with the lower at its rear end so I welded a 0.3 mm thick metal strip on the left side of the lower.

I couldn't close the receivers anymore so that is surely the place I need to work to achieve minimum lateral play.
With a file first and a stone later it's not difficult to find the correct thickness that allows you to close the receivers. Just take your time.

To fix any vertical play I put a thin layer of bi-component epoxy resin on the bottom of the "locking hook well" (I do not know how I should call it).

I left it cure and the following morning I found this:

Not bad uh?
I removed a little bit of the cured resin from behind the print of the locking hook because I do not want that the epoxy to handle any recoil forces. The resin I used , Devcon 10110, is a very good product that provided very long lasting results on my other rifles, but this application looks a little bit border line.
The welded steel strip might look redundant, but without it I couldn't make an accurate bedding.

At the present I can not measure any residual play in this area. I do not expect any terrific improvement of the accuracy, but removing this plays won't make things any worst.

Firing test soon.
on picture #3 a set of shims on both sides work out ? once the size is right for no play ...weld them and clean up the rest ....?
Old May 09, 2013, 03:36   #157
paolo.orange
Registered

@ Boricua: I have investigated and it's a little bit complicated. For international competitions it's of course no problem at all. For recreative shooting an insurance might be required but it's really up to the shooting range management.

@Gus: I do not see any problem with your strategy. On the average our FAL are pretty old guns so I can't say which is the ultimate technique. I would rather suggest to evaluate on a case by case basis. Just remember that the goal is NOT receivers tightness, but sights consistency shot after shot.
Old May 29, 2013, 10:50   #158
Slo cat
Master Metal Checkerer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 11908
Bravo! Congratulations!

ETA: This is Group 5, and Paolo's Billa competition is in Group 3. But this shows Paolo's other shooting achievements.

Last edited by Slo cat; May 29, 2013 at 11:25.
Slo cat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2014, 06:26   #159
paolo.orange
Registered

Oops...Billa won the NM 2013

Old January 05, 2014, 07:09   #160
19&41
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 29354
Congratulations! You have refined a rifle that that so many like and have achieved performance beyond expectations. Glad to see you continuing with it!
19&41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2014, 10:12   #161
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
Congratulations! Lithgow would be proud!
enbloc8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 05, 2014, 12:21   #162
boricua
Registered

congratulations!!!
Old January 17, 2014, 10:36   #163
EonDresari
Registered

FALaholic #: 69608
That is just awesome! Congratulations!!
EonDresari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 17, 2014, 10:49   #164
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
If you ever come to the US during our yearly R1 match, I will loan you a rifle and ammo for free!
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 20, 2014, 03:59   #165
paolo.orange
Registered

Wow Hagar! This worths more then 100 prizes...
Old January 23, 2014, 19:16   #166
novantunots
Registered

FALaholic #: 66428
Se quest'anno vieni anche tu a somma, e ti vuoi prendere un anno di tregua facendo il campionato 100m ci servi per la squadra! ...pero devi avere un israeliano pure tu.
Gabriele
novantunots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11, 2014, 03:58   #167
AKASL
Registered

FALaholic #: 3187
Harmonic wire?

Paolo,

What is the diameter of the harmonic wire and the drill size you used to make the trigger return spring?

IM and Email on the way also.

AKASL
Old January 17, 2016, 14:03   #168
enbloc8
Registered

How is Billabong doing these days? Still winning National Matches?
Old January 20, 2016, 03:05   #169
.30-06
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 68016
Are there a lot of L1A1's in Italy?
Old February 18, 2016, 03:11   #170
paolo.orange
Registered

Hallo everybody.
Yes Bibbabong is doing ok but it's not competing so far. I still partecipate our NM and I won last year the Championship with my AR15.
New girlfriend, new airplane, new motorbike, lot of things to do at work, time is getting too short and I can't train enough to shoot competitively in two divisions. May be next year, who knows.

Yes we have quite a lot of FAL here, equally distributed among Imperial and Metric. They almost always come with the safety sear slot welded. The average prices is around 750€. The Austrian STG look to be the most appreciated. Very few Israeli HB, few Aussie and Canadian, quite a lot of Argentinian, Austrian and British.
Funny enough most of the shooter here shoot their Fal with optics (never with Trilux), that really makes no sense to me.

PS: can anybody tell me why the photos of the first posts are no more there? My ImageShack account seems OK, but I can't see my photos there anymore.

Last edited by paolo.orange; February 18, 2016 at 08:09.
Old February 18, 2016, 08:48   #171
19&41
Bronze Contributor

It's not easy to tell why the pictures have gone missing. I have stopped using hosting services like Imageshack and Photobucket and attach photos from a folder of resized pictures using the "manage attachments" option below the reply box. It is easy to resize pictures with windows' editing feature and just attach them. Your thread is one of the most interesting and informative to have been posted. It would be good to have the pictures back up. Good luck in your endeavors, whatever form they may take.
Old February 18, 2016, 10:12   #172
hagar
Registered

What kind of plane do you fly? Did you buy it?

Post photos of the plane, bike and gf!
Old February 18, 2016, 10:28   #173
paolo.orange
Registered

Here we are!

It's a high spirited Italian SF260D... I mean the airplane
Sorry for the off topic.

This 3d is useless without photos! Let me see If I still have them somewhere....
Old February 18, 2016, 11:05   #174
hagar
Registered

She flying? She looks like a keeper!
Old February 18, 2016, 11:09   #175
19&41
Bronze Contributor

Beautiful! You are busy!
Old February 18, 2016, 11:27   #176
Slaughter
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 73180
SF260 is an awesome aircraft! I work in Aircraft and flight test so I CAN appreciate the beauty. You smile for TWO reasons I see!
Slaughter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2016, 12:30   #177
paolo.orange
Registered

@Hagar: the "D" is configured for the military market so the pilot in command flies on the right seat so that he/she has the right hand on stick and left hand on throttles

@Slauther: now and then I say myself that I'm terribly lucky

Back on Topic. Imageshack wrote me a note basically saying that if I want the photos back then I have to upgrade my account to Premium. It sounds a little bit like a blackmail, but it's OK for me as long as I migrate the photos somewhere else. They should be back in 24 h.
Old February 18, 2016, 14:13   #178
.30-06
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 68016
Quote:
Originally Posted by paolo.orange View Post
Back on Topic. Imageshack wrote me a note basically saying that if I want the photos back then I have to upgrade my account to Premium. It sounds a little bit like a blackmail, but it's OK for me as long as I migrate the photos somewhere else. They should be back in 24 h.
Imageshack is a rip off. Give photobucket or Imgur a try.
Old February 20, 2016, 11:03   #179
paolo.orange
Registered

I'm in the process to migrate all the photos from ImageShack to Photobucket. It's a tedious job but it's worth doing that.

Even if this is the story of Billabong, the FAL that "can't shoot well, but eventually won the NM", I would encourage everybody to share here experiences, techniques, tricks, defeats and glories in the quest for accuracy and fine shooting our marvelous FAL.
Old March 16, 2017, 21:49   #180
enbloc8
Registered

Any new developments or victories to report with ol' Billabong?

The diaspora of creosote-scented Lithgow SLRs hopes for news....

Last edited by enbloc8; March 16, 2017 at 22:41.
Old April 07, 2017, 01:57   #181
adamweinerog
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 4362
What an exhilarating read! Absolutely superb!!!
Old April 17, 2017, 09:13   #182
CzechMate
Registered

FALaholic #: 78848
Hi Paolo, first of all, congratulations to your winnings! Excellent job! Second, thank you very much for all the informations you shared here with us!

Two days ago I went to local military club to compete in a 300, 200 and 100m competition. It is a local event, nothing big. My L1A1 was assigned into a group with Mosins, Mausers, Schmidt Rubins etc... I finished 12th out of 14 and I thought, that not only my skills are not good enough, but also my L1A1 cannot compete with these old school bolt action rifles... Also, I was shooting some old surplus ammo, that also contributed to the result heavily...

After reading this whole thread, I am very positive, that with few modifications to my L1A1 and after honing up my skills, I can beat them all.

Thank you once again and good luck in everything you do!

(if you ever come to Czech Republic and want to have some fun with a gun, my L1A1 is at your disposal free of charge of course!)
CzechMate is offline   Reply With Quote