The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old September 02, 2009, 10:51   #1
Thorack
Acquisition Corp Dude
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 748
Inch Barrel Codes Sticky??

OK,

I know we have all asked this question at one time or another but can someone make a sticky that has all the Inch Barrel Codes? Some of the Brit codes are still on the unknown list and I've been searching for hours for the Aussie code list and cant find it. I think it time for a sticky on Inch Barrel markings and codes. It can be a work in progress.

Just an Idea.

The below is a super generous gift from the incredible, stupendous, super guy, the gman

From the RSAF Enfield "Extract of Lab Report 8-83, The Evaluation of RSAF 82-2 Barrel Steel for L1A1 SLR"; VHC is a stress relieved Hammered Chamber, hammer forged barrel made with Firth Brown steel.

BTW, VCF is a stress relieved hammer forged barrel with a cut chamber. A barrel with HF means Hammer forged, CF hammer forged, cut chamber & a HC barrel is hammered chamber, hammer forged AND SHOULD NOT, I say again NOT BE USED.

HC barrels had severe problems with bursting which is what this report is all about. Only by stress relieiveing the barrels were they accepted for service as VHC. If you have a HC, which I doubt as they were withdrawn from service long before the L1A1 was taken out of service, do not use it.

The above was added later

2. Never let Doctors cut on you unless its life or death and ALWAYS get a second opinion.

Last edited by Thorack; February 06, 2013 at 18:43.
Thorack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 02, 2009, 17:47   #2
kmurphy
Registered

FALaholic #: 29121
Cool, my FB code is from 62...
kmurphy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 02, 2009, 18:49   #3
sturmgrenadiere
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 1010
Back in the spring I had typed up a pretty extensive inch barrel/other markings decoder... Now I can't find it. I'll sticky this for the moment and I'll have a typed version soon. Don't want to tamper with any copyright laws (speculating) even though it is open information.

Regards

Ben

The grass is neither greener or better. It is just grass, and it still itches.

No rubber dogshit out of Hong Kong yet, but I am waiting for that mission...
sturmgrenadiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12, 2009, 05:24   #4
tophatjones
Registered

FALaholic #: 32930
Quote:
Originally posted by NZ L1A1 Collector
Just to clarify a point about one of the markings on British barrels

CF doesn't stand for 'Cold Forged' it's the manufacturers code for the supplier of steel used to make the barrel, in this case Corby Foundries 'CF' Anther manufacturer is 'FB' (Firth Brown Steels Ltd).
tophatjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13, 2009, 04:27   #5
tophatjones
Registered

FALaholic #: 32930
Quote:
Originally posted by av8tor
The Information below is contained in the
L1A1 EMER’s
Technical Handbook - Field Level Repairs
Revision Dated: September, 1985

Barrels Defective

27. Rifles fitted with barrels marked FB 385 of Feb. 1985 manufacturer are to be labeled accordingly and sentenced “Z”

Barrels - Hardness Testing

28. Barrels found to be marked JBS7 but not marked “H” should be tested for hardness in the area 1/2 in. to 4 1/2 in. foreword of the breaching face. Five readings should be taken over the 3 in. and the average reading should fall within the limits 360 +/- 10 VPN or DPN

29. Barrels which pass the test should be marked “H” with a 5/64 in. steel stamps on or near one of the reinforcing flats. Barrels which fail the test are to be sentenced “BR” and the rifle is to be sentenced “Z”

30. Workshops without hardness testing facilities are to make necessary arrangements for testing to be carried out in workshop which has.

***Note: I haven’t stumbled upon the key yet for the various codes, but every indication is that the “Z” means the rifle or part is in need of a critical repair and “BR” indicates the rifle or part is unsafe, cannot be repaired and must be taken out of service. I’ll ad to this post if I come across more barrel information

The Information below is contained in the
L1A1 EMER’s
Technical Handbook - Base Level Repairs
Revision Dated: Jan. 1979

Flaw Detection

14. With the exceptions detailed in para 15, barrels of rifles, including replacement barrels which bear the RSAF test mark as shown in Fig. 4006(b) do not require to be subjected to further flaw detection during overhaul, specified repair or rust proofing.

*** Note: Fig. 4006(A) and Fig 4006(B) shows the RSAF Enfield mark as being a triangle located on one of the barrel flats, with the triangle pointing towards the muzzle end. The REME Base workshop mark appears as a circle with two lines, 180 degrees apart and each extending from the circumference at the center with a specified maximum length of 5/32 in. and a maximum width of 3/32 in.

15. When found barrels of rifles produced at BSA Shirley and RSAF Enfield during 1957-1961 inclusive, must still be flaw detected, using the equipment and techniques referred to in Workshop N 810 para 13. Flaw detection will be carried out even where evidence of previous test by REME or RSAF workshops existed tested barrels as shown in Fig 4006(B). Barrels produced at these locations during this period were manufactured from material which contained seams produced during rolling and this increases the risk of cracks developing in use under service conditions.

16. Barrels produced at BSA Shirley, RSAF Enfield, and ROF Frazackerly may be identified as shown below:

A. BSA Shirley marked BXX 960-2006 on barrel.

B. RSAF Enfield marked 960-2006 on barrel with DXX on reinforce.

C. ROF Frazackerly marked 960-2006 on barrel with FXX on reinforce.

Note: XX indicates year of manufacture ie., 57-61

17. Barrels produced at ROF Frazackerly have not at the present time been the subject of AF G3660 action through split barrels. 100% flaw detection was carried out throughout their production which ceased in 1960. Barrels which carry a flaw detection test mark may be accepted as serviceable without further testing. Barrels of Frazackerly manufacture without an identifiable flaw detection test mark are to be treated as detailed in para 15.

18. Doubtful barrels and those which fail the test are to rendered unserviceable and scrapped.

19. Existing crack test marks, proof marks or batch markings should not be obliterated when applying the mark shown at Fig 4006(B). Should it not be possible to mark on the breaching flat, the mark should be placed on the flange adjacent to the flat.

Proof Markings

20. All barrels must carry a legible proof mark, any rifles found without markings are to be reported to SO1, EME 10c (Chief Quality Engineer), HQ DGEME, Logistic Executive (Army), Andover, Hantis SP11 8HT.

21. Barrels are to be replaced if the gas block is found to be loose, or has moved and also if the wings of the protector foresight are fractured, or distorted beyond repair.

Av
whew if there is any more typo's ya just gotta forgive me LOL, omg I hope someone appreciates this

[ January 26, 2002: Message edited by: av8tor ]

[ January 28, 2002: Message edited by: EMDII ]
tophatjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 09, 2012, 00:16   #6
TOM DONIPHON
Registered

FALaholic #: 4628
We still need an Aussie barrel code list.
Old April 12, 2012, 11:57   #7
tsmgguy
Registered

FALaholic #: 7915
Buy Skinnerton's book, "SLR, Australia's FN FAL."
tsmgguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013, 01:27   #8
frankenstien
Registered

FALaholic #: 68480
Where is a good place to figure out the dates of all the parts on an l1a1? I looked at my barrel codes to compare to the above but none of mine fit the pattern, I have a FB5xx, and a 9602006 60 Einfield stamp, so not in the right order, and the FB has 3 numbers after it
frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28, 2013, 01:37   #9
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankenstien View Post
Where is a good place to figure out the dates of all the parts on an l1a1? I looked at my barrel codes to compare to the above but none of mine fit the pattern, I have a FB5xx, and a 9602006 60 Einfield stamp, so not in the right order, and the FB has 3 numbers after it
60 is the date
Old January 28, 2013, 03:32   #10
frankenstien
Registered

FALaholic #: 68480
Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
60 is the date
THANKS!!!
frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2013, 15:01   #11
Lear70
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 68708
Hey guys, have a barrel coming in, don't really need it but wondering if it's serviceable to be a cut-down candidate. Got it off a member here on the board along with a non-logo Imbel receiver (old style imported).

Here are the pics:

http://s1152.beta.photobucket.com/us...tml?sort=3&o=6

Note, on the barrel, it's an Enfield, produced in 1967, but matches the first set of date codes from the post by tophatjones (thanks!) par. 16.A, 9602006 D 67 and FB? on the barrel base above it.

The end of the barrel was cut off just below the threads and hashed with some type of dremel tool. Can't tell if this is because it didn't meet spec and was ordered trashed or if someone just started cutting it down, messed it up, and gave up?

Would this be a good cut-down candidate barrel or should I trash it? Don't want any "Oops" moments that are accompanied with loud bangs, flying metal, and hospital trips... or worse.

Thanks!
Lear70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2013, 15:48   #12
def90
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 50609
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear70 View Post
The end of the barrel was cut off just below the threads and hashed with some type of dremel tool. Can't tell if this is because it didn't meet spec and was ordered trashed or if someone just started cutting it down, messed it up, and gave up?

Would this be a good cut-down candidate barrel or should I trash it? Don't want any "Oops" moments that are accompanied with loud bangs, flying metal, and hospital trips... or worse.

Thanks!
Is is a barrel that was used by Century during the ban years hence the cut off threads. Seeing the additional Dremel damage I would say yes, it is a cut down candidate.
Old February 06, 2013, 16:10   #13
Lear70
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

I think I misunderstood, they cut the end off so it couldn't take the flash surpressor during the "ban years"? Not because it was in the "questionably-defective" range of barrels?

Just want to make sure I don't have a potential explosive barrel candidate on my hands before I put work into it. How did the barrels of that age shoot compared to the Imbel barrels?

Thanks for letting me pick your brain. This all has been a "crash course" in everything FN-FAL for me. Researching as much as I can so I don't pester people, but I really appreciate you answering my questions I don't find answers to in doing searches.

Last edited by Lear70; February 06, 2013 at 18:16.
Old February 06, 2013, 18:18   #14
msnyder
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1085
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lear70 View Post
So the base won't split and it's the END of the barrel that was the issue?

Just making sure.
There is no known issue with your barrel.

Paragraph 16 is to tell you how to identify year and maker of your barrel. 960-2006 is an inventory number.
msnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2013, 18:39   #15
Lear70
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by msnyder View Post
There is no known issue with your barrel.

Paragraph 16 is to tell you how to identify year and maker of your barrel. 960-2006 is an inventory number.
Cool, thanks!
Old June 12, 2013, 22:27   #16
FAL's & AR's 4 ME
Registered

FALaholic #: 8884
Barrel ID help !!

replaced the barrel on my L1A1 about a week ago ,and I'm trying to find out who made it ,

the one that was taken off is marked F H at the chamber end, also has a crown with crossed flags , no other markings on it anywhere

the replacement barrel is marked F S at the chamber end ,and also has the crown with crossed flags , no other markings on it ..

any and all help to ID them will be greatly appreciated .... Ken
Old June 13, 2013, 11:12   #17
7.62mm_NATO
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 30759
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAL's & AR's 4 ME View Post
replaced the barrel on my L1A1 about a week ago ,and I'm trying to find out who made it ,

the one that was taken off is marked F H at the chamber end, also has a crown with crossed flags , no other markings on it anywhere

the replacement barrel is marked F S at the chamber end ,and also has the crown with crossed flags , no other markings on it ..

any and all help to ID them will be greatly appreciated .... Ken
Both are Australian with chromed chamber but non-chromed bore.
7.62mm_NATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13, 2013, 12:20   #18
FAL's & AR's 4 ME
Registered

FALaholic #: 8884
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.62mm_NATO View Post
Both are Australian with chromed chamber but non-chromed bore.
thanks for the help , I thought that they were but wasn't 100% sure about them , I could see it had a chrome chamber but unsure about the bore , thanks again ..Ken
Old June 18, 2013, 17:39   #19
eckman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14636
Is mine safe to shoot ?

I do not have any of these markings (VCF is a stress relieved hammer forged barrel with a cut chamber. A barrel with HF means Hammer forged, CF hammer forged, cut chamber & a HC barrel is hammered chamber, hammer forged AND SHOULD NOT, I say again NOT BE USED.) on my barrel.

It is marked FB509 on barrel under the rear of the gas tube and on left side and marked 960 2006 60 on left side of the barrel. Looks like S149 59 on top of barrel above the 960 2006 60 marking.

Just want to make sure it is safe as I have not fired it and have had it for several years and finally bought some Australian 7.62 to shoot out of it.
eckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 08, 2013, 04:00   #20
billw_willy
Registered

FALaholic #: 32635
[QUOTE=Thorack;2686580]OK,

Inch Barrel Codes?

What is the term "Inch" mean, barrel lenngth?
billw_willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11, 2013, 07:43   #21
FUUN063
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 35576
No, "Inch" means barrels that are originally for the L1A1/SLR type of rifle, not the Metric version.

Leland
FUUN063 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 06, 2013, 17:30   #22
Victor Romen
Registered

FALaholic #: 18989
These are from an inch barrel I picked up recently. I'm a little confused, but can piece together it was made in 1978 and that "CF" = hammer forged, cut chamber. What about the "B" stamp prior to "CF" and the "C21057" below that as well as "FB385" near the chamber. Would this be an Enfield, BSA, or Frazackerly? I was under the impression that the "D" prior to the "78" meant it was an Enfield, but not so sure now. It's also apparent someone got handy with a pipe wrench to get it off what ever receiver it was on.

Last edited by Victor Romen; November 06, 2013 at 18:29.
Victor Romen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 02, 2014, 15:07   #23
msnyder
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1085
[QUOTE=Victor Romen;3723026]These are from an inch barrel I picked up recently. I'm a little confused, but can piece together it was made in 1978 and that "CF" = hammer forged, cut chamber. What about the "B" stamp prior to "CF" and the "C21057" below that as well as "FB385" near the chamber. Would this be an Enfield, BSA, or Frazackerly? I was under the impression that the "D" prior to the "78" meant it was an Enfield, but not so sure now. It's also apparent someone got handy with a pipe wrench to get it off what ever receiver it was on.

IIRC, the FB385 is the steel batch code. FB is Firth Brown. The ED is Enfield. 78 is 1978 manufacture. No idea what the B or the C21057 No. 4 is.
msnyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2014, 19:56   #24
Exit308
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 62143
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor Romen View Post
These are from an inch barrel I picked up recently. I'm a little confused, but can piece together it was made in 1978 and that "CF" = hammer forged, cut chamber. What about the "B" stamp prior to "CF" and the "C21057" below that as well as "FB385" near the chamber. Would this be an Enfield, BSA, or Frazackerly? I was under the impression that the "D" prior to the "78" meant it was an Enfield, but not so sure now. It's also apparent someone got handy with a pipe wrench to get it off what ever receiver it was on.

Please see #27, post #5. It says barrels marked FB385 are to be sentenced Z. Is that rejected?

The truth does not require your belief.
Exit308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 01, 2014, 18:31   #25
Victor Romen
Registered

FALaholic #: 18989
Seems to only cover barrels marked FB 385 of Feb. 1985 manufacturer. Does not mention prior to that date, unless I'm missing something.

27. Rifles fitted with barrels marked FB 385 of Feb. 1985 manufacturer are to be labeled accordingly and sentenced “Z”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exit308 View Post
Please see #27, post #5. It says barrels marked FB385 are to be sentenced Z. Is that rejected?
Victor Romen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15, 2015, 15:33   #26
eckman
Registered

FALaholic #: 14636
ANy ideas

Never did get a reply - anyone?

Is mine safe to shoot ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I do not have any of these markings (VCF is a stress relieved hammer forged barrel with a cut chamber. A barrel with HF means Hammer forged, CF hammer forged, cut chamber & a HC barrel is hammered chamber, hammer forged AND SHOULD NOT, I say again NOT BE USED.) on my barrel.

It is marked FB509 on barrel under the rear of the gas tube and on left side and marked 960 2006 60 on left side of the barrel. Looks like S149 59 on top of barrel above the 960 2006 60 marking.

Just want to make sure it is safe as I have not fired it and have had it for several years and finally bought some Australian 7.62 to shoot out of it.
eckman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30, 2017, 23:02   #27
bobofthedesert
Registered

FALaholic #: 61835
Quote:
Originally Posted by eckman View Post
Never did get a reply - anyone?

Is mine safe to shoot ?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OK, I've read this thread through but need confirmation on what I (think I) have read.....

If I understand correctly, a barrel marked HC should not be used. At all. (Why?) Mine doesn't say HC, it says VHC. It actually says B CFD 85 9602006 VHC. So, not safe? Aussie or Brit barrel? I'd post pics but it says I can't do attachments.

Thanks in advance.
bobofthedesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11, 2017, 17:38   #28
Johnaski
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 80056
My barrel has CF followed by 9602006 D69 along the left side, and H 0537 marked round the barrel bottom to side where it expands into the chamber.
Johnaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12, 2017, 10:01   #29
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorack View Post
OK,

I know we have all asked this question at one time or another but can someone make a sticky that has all the Inch Barrel Codes?
Problem with something as esoteric as L1A1 barrel codes, as a sticky, is that pretty soon we have a huge list of stickies that not even 1% care about. What we need is a better search feature and an organized reference and data section. But when you have the entire first page of a section stickies, then what?

The thing that makes a wiki type format so useful, is that there are not 50 entries, but 50 contributors to an entry. What we need is to have one guy, take someone else's post in which more data is added, plug that into the first post, then delete the other post. Otherwise, even in a sticky, someone has to wade through 50 posts to find the info, and then it's often still wrong (like the fal/l1a1 compatibility thread)

Last edited by gunplumber; September 12, 2017 at 10:08.
gunplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14, 2017, 23:41   #30
raexcct2
Gimp Ex-CCT
Bronze Contributor
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
Can someone help me decipher my barrel?

It is marked B CF D 78 9802006 and FB 387 by the chamber. There are some other markings near the FB 387 but are obscured by the suncorite ( I believe that is what is was called, could be wrong) painted on finish of the barrel.

The D with the line in the center I take to mean that it was manufactured by Enfield and the CF means that it was the manufacturers code for the steel supplied by Corby Foundries but what does the B before the CF D 78 9802006 stand for?
raexcct2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:43   #31
swiss_bob
Registered

FALaholic #: 79957
Location: Interest in FALs especially FALO and L1A1 (this was the first rifle I ever slept with, and I shall always remember her, Clarissa, wherever the British government sold her...)
Sentence "Z"

Referring back to the beginning of the thread:

Quote:
Barrels Defective

A friend who is an ex British army armourer gives this explanation:

Quote:
'Z' by the way means that the item requires repair at the 3rd line of repair, or a Base Workshop. Usually this will entail the item being struck off of the units accounts and replaced so that the defective item can go through a programmed rebuild and be returned to store as an effectively new item.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Explanation from John at https://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/ -- Check out his other articles and armourers tools-------------------------------------------------------
swiss_bob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:22   #32
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote:
Originally Posted by swiss_bob View Post
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------Explanation from John at https://www.ds-solutions.co.uk/ -- Check out his other articles and armourers tools-------------------------------------------------------
I did, and thank you.

Some interesting bits there;
Articles Archive

Rifle, submachine gun and machine gun servicing advice and information pages
•Fitting a New No4(T) Sniper Cheek Piece
•Fitting an Extractor to a No4 Bolt

•Fitting No4 Fore Sight Blades

•Fitting a No4 Rifle Nosecap Band

•Changing A No4 Lee-Enfield Back Sight

•Removing and Fitting A PH 8/53 Sight To A No4 Mk1 Back Sight
•L1A1 SLR Stripping & Re Assembly Of ABS Butt Group.
•Exchanging an L1A1 SLR Rear Sight

•Removing an SMLE Foresight Block
•Fitting Guide for Repro BREN AA Handle Storage Clips
•Finishing Military Rifle Woodwork.
•A Brief Explanation of Later Lee Enfield Foresight Blades.