The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The L1A1, inch-pattern, and Indian Files

Notices

Old May 03, 2017, 11:05   #101
enbloc8
Registered

FALaholic #: 51665
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huss View Post
I bought this NOS C2A1 on the files last year. Well, the carry handle was not NOS, and I haven't had any luck finding an original sling. It was built by a company called RDO specialty. I'm not even sure if they are still a company that builds fals.
I talk to the owner once in a while...he's doing other things right now, FALs are on hiatus.
enbloc8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2017, 11:30   #102
Huss
Enabler
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 76224
Quote:
Originally Posted by enbloc8 View Post
I talk to the owner once in a while...he's doing other things right now, FALs are on hiatus.
Does he still have a website? At one time he had one and a bunch of fals on there. I can't seem to find it now, but if they are on the hiatus with fals that would explain it.
Huss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 03, 2017, 11:35   #103
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 2784
His website is gone. I called last week inquiring about FAL barrels, left a message and still haven't gotten a response. Guess they are too busy doing other stuff.
raexcct2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 04, 2017, 16:21   #104
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 9689
What would these two slings be worth?
Top: Excellent condition. Has 2 different troopers names and rack number inside.
Bottom: Good condition less color.

Old May 04, 2017, 17:45   #105
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 65552
Also, remember that there were [plenty of C1A1s that still had their two slot handguards. AND, there were even a few out there with THREE slot handguards. I have no freaking clue where they came from.
Old May 04, 2017, 18:15   #106
Huss
Enabler
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakTo View Post
What would these two slings be worth?
Top: Excellent condition. Has 2 different troopers names and rack number inside.Bottom: Good condition less color.
Are these C2 slings?
Old May 04, 2017, 18:16   #107
Lee Carpentieri
Old Fart
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4936
Canadian Slings

I don't know ether, But I'll buy one when your ready to sell.
Old May 04, 2017, 18:24   #108
Huss
Enabler
Gold Contributor

I'd buy one too....
Old May 04, 2017, 20:50   #109
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

C1A1 slings with plastic buckles
Old May 05, 2017, 16:40   #110
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Never did figure out why they went plastic buckles, and Velcro on the web belt stuff. That was the stupidest idea,.. they shifted and slid all around.
At least with hooks, you knew where they were because they never moved.
Old June 12, 2017, 20:47   #111
Ramone
Registered

FALaholic #: 51353
My contribution:

Ramone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25, 2018, 21:12   #112
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Last inch build of 2017. 1L-2L C1 on metric receiver.

https://imgur.com/AIVbYbr
https://imgur.com/nHkVhpI
https://imgur.com/zhPMqoa

Last edited by DakTo; January 26, 2018 at 16:05.
DakTo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018, 08:47   #113
pistolero1911
Registered

FALaholic #: 75616
Sweet stick Dakto.

Is that a DSA R1 receiver you built on?
Old January 26, 2018, 10:41   #114
SmokeEater2
Old grouchy bastid
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 10990
Quote:
Last build of 2017. 1L-2L C1 on metric receiver.

https://imgur.com/AIVbYbr
https://imgur.com/nHkVhpI
https://imgur.com/zhPMqoa

That's a beauty Dak! Was that a complete kit or did it require a lot of parts searching?
SmokeEater2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26, 2018, 13:29   #115
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater2 View Post
That's a beauty Dak! Was that a complete kit or did it require a lot of parts searching?
Most of the Canadian kit was purchased together in our marketplace and the parts all appeared NOS. The barrel is an unused DSA inch which I've had for over 10 years.
The receiver is a DSA R1 which was easy to convert for the charging handle, top cover and the hole for the cross pin did not require widening.
The seating of the magazine was difficult as a metric mag was a tight fit, so I had to not only widen the tab channel cut for the inch mag but also remove a little metal from the inner front of the magazine well for the inch mag to seat properly.
The early hand guards were from Flypaper (My thanks for a perfect set and fit). The leftover parts include a NOS brown carry handle, NOS C1A1 hand guards and used green sling and cleaning kit.
Old January 26, 2018, 16:47   #116
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Nice nice nice.
I'm curious what made you choose the metric R1, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Of course I went the other way, starting with a DSA early inch and milling the magwell lightening cuts and stripper clip reliefs.
6 of 1 half dozen of another, but you ended up with a great rifle that raises the bar even higher.(I had to use a used Aussie barrel)

Bloody gorgeous!

OK, edit, I remember asking this before and how the inch DSAs have become extinct.
Old January 27, 2018, 12:33   #117
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExCdnSoldierInTx View Post
Nice nice nice.
I'm curious what made you choose the metric R1, not that there's anything wrong with that.
Of course I went the other way, starting with a DSA early inch and milling the magwell lightening cuts and stripper clip reliefs.
6 of 1 half dozen of another, but you ended up with a great rifle that raises the bar even higher.(I had to use a used Aussie barrel)

Bloody gorgeous!

OK, edit, I remember asking this before and how the inch DSAs have become extinct.
Thank you and since I could not find a DSA inch receiver and if I did none sold for less than $600. I decided to go with the $350 range DSA R1 receiver. The serial number of #R1076 accepted new metric mags with a little tightness and more worn metric and aluminium mags seated more satisfactory.
As you know, the early C1's from serial 001 to about the 2L range employed metric type upper receivers. Photos are available in Steven's North American FALs. Page 82 &134 and on the cover.

I would love to find an early C1 vertical leaf rear sight but they can most likely be found in the hen's teeth department. The leaf pattern rear sight is on pages 70-71.
Old February 02, 2018, 18:03   #118
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

Thatís a nice rifle. Wish I could find a carry handle like the one you have.
Old February 03, 2018, 09:11   #119
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raexcct2 View Post
That’s a nice rifle. Wish I could find a carry handle like the one you have.
The carry handle wood was made by one of our members here maybe 10 years ago and he sold many of them unfinished in the marketplace. Perhaps he just made some dowel pins and drilled them out? I finished it to match the butt stock and mounted it on a spare wire.
I also used two for my BGS builds by slightly beveling each end to match an original BGS carry handle wood.

Perhaps Flypaper may decide to make some if he had enough demand for them?

Last edited by DakTo; February 03, 2018 at 09:23.
DakTo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 03, 2018, 13:01   #120
enbloc8
Registered

Quote:
I would love to find an early C1 vertical leaf rear sight but they can most likely be found in the hen's teeth department. The leaf pattern rear sight is on pages 70-71.
How different are they from a metric tall rear sight?
Old February 03, 2018, 13:06   #121
enbloc8
Registered

Quote:
Also, remember that there were [plenty of C1A1s that still had their two slot handguards. AND, there were even a few out there with THREE slot handguards. I have no freaking clue where they came from.
Maybe the three-slot handguards were leftover spares or salvage from the EX rifles?
Old February 03, 2018, 20:00   #122
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
How different are they from a metric tall rear sight?
The tall Canadian rear sight appears similar to the Argentine and Israeli tall sights. Comparing the Canadian early high rear sight to the T48 it appears a bit higher, but the comparison photos may not be the same scale.
On page 71 I noticed the earliest C1 photo also had a Type A metric butt stock. So I'll stick with the build in the 2L production series.
Old February 03, 2018, 21:09   #123
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Maybe the three-slot handguards were leftover spares or salvage from the EX rifles?
The first rifle I was issued had three slot handguards.

I still question the idea of the first batch I'd Ac1s having metric uppers. They were inch rifles as far as I've always known, and all out parts interchanged with the Brits.

We used inch mags, the top covers had tangs, all was the same.
Yeah, they had the metric mag well cuts on the magwell, but all else was inch.

I know what various books claim, but think about this: Early C1s were upgraded to C1A1 specs as they rotated through the the depots for repair and servicing, and they certainly didn't replace the upper receivers on those rifles.
So somehow, they became "inch rifles" after upgrading, without replacing the uppers.

So unless you're talking about the very early Canadian test rifles, which WERE metric, I'll stake what little reputation I have on this.
Old February 04, 2018, 08:54   #124
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

In Steven's book the C1's were all built inch guns.
The receiver's were not metric decimal system per se but were metric pattern only by design.
Old February 04, 2018, 17:45   #125
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
In Steven's book the C1's were all built inch guns.
The receiver's were not metric decimal system per se but were metric pattern only by design.
YES! Thank you!

Many people have take the "metric design" to mean a full metric rifle, rather than metric pattern cuts on the upper.

I will tell you this: anyone who's ever taken a milling machine to a vergin early forged DSA knows what "pucker factor" is. The first cut really is the deepest, and once you've started, there ain't no going back.
The stress of milling out the magwell when building mine probably took 5 years off my life.
Old February 04, 2018, 21:55   #126
enbloc8
Registered

Quote:
The first rifle I was issued had three slot handguards.

I still question the idea of the first batch I'd Ac1s having metric uppers. They were inch rifles as far as I've always known, and all out parts interchanged with the Brits.

We used inch mags, the top covers had tangs, all was the same.
Yeah, they had the metric mag well cuts on the magwell, but all else was inch.

I know what various books claim, but think about this: Early C1s were upgraded to C1A1 specs as they rotated through the the depots for repair and servicing, and they certainly didn't replace the upper receivers on those rifles.
So somehow, they became "inch rifles" after upgrading, without replacing the uppers.

So unless you're talking about the very early Canadian test rifles, which WERE metric, I'll stake what little reputation I have on this.
I've no doubt they were "metric" only in terms of the profile cuts on the outside...I'd like to know just when somebody at Long Branch got smart and said "why are we cutting this quadrilateral on the mag well when we can make one swipe and be done?"

As to the handguards...some SLRs in Rhodesia ultimately ended up with metric (plastic) handguards, so it was at least possible!
Old February 04, 2018, 22:57   #127
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

I think, but am not 100% sure, it happened around when the 6L series started?
There were plenty of both around.
Or maybe 5L.

All I can say 100% for sure is that the 3L I carried for most of my time in had the metric style magwell cuts.

When I was first issued my 3L I had the double slotted handguards and had been through the wringer and upgraded to C1A1 standard. Notice I said it had slotted handguards, so believe me, becoming a C1A1 didn't mean it automatically got solid handguards.
Those old double slotted handguards got 'damaged', were swapped for some solid handguards, and somehow, those handguards that got tossed might have never quite made it to the trash bin.... Oops.. Shhhhhhh!

An extremely similar looking pair has been known to appear on my rifle for pics from time to time.
Imagine that, huh?

Last edited by ExCdnSoldierInTx; February 04, 2018 at 23:03.
ExCdnSoldierInTx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 04, 2018, 23:08   #128
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
I've no doubt they were "metric" only in terms of the profile cuts on the outside...I'd like to know just when somebody at Long Branch got smart and said "why are we cutting this quadrilateral on the mag well when we can make one swipe and be done?"

As to the handguards...some SLRs in Rhodesia ultimately ended up with metric (plastic) handguards, so it was at least possible!
I just wanted to be on record with that, because someday I'll be Home with Jesus, and there's lots of newbs today in this FAL thing who will almost go to war stating Canadian rifles were metric right up till the 8L series.

My statements to the contrary are looked upon as incoherent ramblings of an old man.
Old February 05, 2018, 11:04   #129
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

What I have read in Steven's book is the change from the metric type receiver to the inch type occurred between 1L-2L. This may have been the official announcement, but it doesn't account there may have been a number of metric type receivers already produced and waiting to be future builds or used as replacement receivers on damaged SLR's.

Why the change on the magazine cut? My guess is the Canadian Department of National Defence with Long Branch determined their inch receivers be synonyms and interchangeable with other Commonwealth countries, Australia and UK.
Old February 05, 2018, 16:44   #130
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Interesting that.

I actually don't own the book, I've heard about the book, but I've never seen the book, never even read any excerpts except what's been posted here.

What I can say though is that my 3L absolutely had the metric cut on the magwell, and I can state that with 100% certainty.
And I had better be right, because not only did I build my rifle that way, at least one other guy did too, partially based upon the correctness of my build, I'd assume.

As with all books of course, sometimes research gets a bit murky.

For some reason I thought I'd seen 4L's with the metric cut as well.

As an aside, I remember soldiers preferring the straight cut magwell because they "thought" the carry handle lay closer in to the rifle body.
I'm not sure it really did, though.

As for the change to the straight cut receiver?
I'm a bit more pragmatic in venturing that Longbranch was able to eliminate several crucial machining operations by changing styles. The metric magwell cut is a multi step procedure. The inch cut is one big swipe...
I'd venture a guess THAT'S the real reason they changed.
Old February 05, 2018, 22:32   #131
enbloc8
Registered

Quote:
I just wanted to be on record with that, because someday I'll be Home with Jesus, and there's lots of newbs today in this FAL thing who will almost go to war stating Canadian rifles were metric right up till the 8L series.

My statements to the contrary are looked upon as incoherent ramblings of an old man.
That's why I try and grab every C1/C1A1/C2 pic I come across.
Old February 05, 2018, 23:17   #132
raexcct2
GIMP EX-CCT
Silver Contributor

Quote:
That's why I try and grab every C1/C1A1/C2 pic I come across.
I just wish we had a gallery of pictures and descriptions of every C1 configuration. I have an 8L and used to have an EX-1 but the other configurations I donít have a clue about.
Old February 06, 2018, 00:38   #133
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by raexcct2 View Post
I just wish we had a gallery of pictures and descriptions of every C1 configuration. I have an 8L and used to have an EX-1 but the other configurations I donít have a clue about.
undoable friend...

Canuck guns were all over the place on configurations

it's not just military, there were RCMP, NWMP and presentation rifles
seen/handled examples of all

3, 2 and no slot guards were used for example

there were S, M, L, EXL butts made
we had some butts that were XXL, Man sized rifles for over 6' folks. Not your typical manlet.

Some C1s had top cover charger guides
others did not

don't start me on top cover based optics mounts...
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2018, 21:51   #134
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Typo there bud. Not EXL it's XL

And don't forget, C1 and C1A1s were available on the open market for civilian purchase through the 60s and 70s.
Old February 07, 2018, 08:23   #135
FUUN063
Registered

FALaholic #: 35576
This thread needs a pic update. Most are missing.

Leland
FUUN063 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2018, 13:03   #136
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Typo there bud. Not EXL it's XL

And don't forget, C1 and C1A1s were available on the open market for civilian purchase through the 60s and 70s.
My latest C1 build has a XL stock which I am not too fond of. I prefer small or normal butt stocks for shooting.
During my road trips into Canada in the early to mid 80's there were lots of L1A1's in the dealer racks most of which were Australian and British. Back then i would load up on metric and inch parts. The dealers whom worked out of their garages had the best selection of early parts.
Old February 07, 2018, 15:41   #137
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

No civilian in their right mind wanted one back then. Who wanted to pay 1800.00 for a heavy military rifle to go deer hunting with? A Mauser, Enfield, or Garand could be had for 50 bucks. A new semi auto .243 was only 600.00, you could have 3 for the price of one C1.
No wonder they didn't sell many.
Old February 07, 2018, 15:43   #138
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUUN063 View Post
This thread needs a pic update. Most are missing.

Leland
PB screwed most of us up bigtime.

I got a couple pics back, but who's got the time to go and redo everything?
Old February 07, 2018, 16:07   #139
Ramone
Registered

Quote:
My latest C1 build has a XL stock which I am not too fond of. I prefer small or normal butt stocks for shooting.
During my road trips into Canada in the early to mid 80's there were lots of L1A1's in the dealer racks most of which were Australian and British. Back then i would load up on metric and inch parts. The dealers whom worked out of their garages had the best selection of early parts.
I have a real Canadian stock marked "N", if you would be willing to trade. I need an XL for a better LOP.
Old February 07, 2018, 17:25   #140
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
No civilian in their right mind wanted one back then. Who wanted to pay 1800.00 for a heavy military rifle to go deer hunting with? A Mauser, Enfield, or Garand could be had for 50 bucks. A new semi auto .243 was only 600.00, you could have 3 for the price of one C1.
No wonder they didn't sell many.
6.5 Swede AG42s were cheaper yet. Just a ton of those were sold up there.
I can recall with the bayo, bandleer and sling their being sold at like $39.00 in the 70s.
On sale they sometimes got under $30.00
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 07, 2018, 21:01   #141
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
6.5 Swede AG42s were cheaper yet. Just a ton of those were sold up there.
I can recall with the bayo, bandleer and sling their being sold at like $39.00 in the 70s.
On sale they sometimes got under $30.00
Rifles were cheap. Folks bought for utility, not FAL coolness.
Just think, back then, racks and racks of C1A1s in the racks at the local gun shop. And none sold. Oh to go back in time..
Old February 08, 2018, 14:19   #142
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

Quote:
Rifles were cheap. Folks bought for utility, not FAL coolness.
Just think, back then, racks and racks of C1A1s in the racks at the local gun shop. And none sold. Oh to go back in time..
All you needed then was a purchase permit issued issued by the police.

As an American dealer I requested and was sent a form to fill out, returned it and received an approval back from the Canadian Police. They informed me to pick up my permit at the Erie Police Station. I was tempted but I had no desire to leave a L1A1 in Canada.
Old February 17, 2018, 23:31   #143
Airforce1
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 73010
Hello,

I got an FN C1A1 8L series (Ex Ontario Provincial Police(OPP)) few years ago. I got also the Sniper Scope C1, L12A1 Conversion Kit complete with Canadian label inside and the grenade launcher. Only problem, I cannot bring to the range because is a prohibited weapon in Canada. Anyway, I very proud to have the FN C1A1 with associated equipment in my gun collection.

DSCN4898 - Copy.JPG

DSCN4855 copy.JPG

DSCN2056 - Copy.JPG

DSCN2206 - Copy.JPG
Airforce1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 18, 2018, 00:00   #144
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Yeah Canada, they'll let you keep it till you die, but you can't ever shoot it, and when you do die, the cops will seize it and melt it down. (Or keep it themselves)
Old February 18, 2018, 12:08   #145
DakTo
MadMinuteDude
Platinum Contributor

I would think there is a lot of open land in Canada to shoot the 8L.
Old February 18, 2018, 15:34   #146
Airforce1
Registered
Contributor

FN C1A1 Rifle

Quote:
Yeah Canada, they'll let you keep it till you die, but you can't ever shoot it, and when you do die, the cops will seize it and melt it down. (Or keep it themselves)
Now, you can transfer all prohibited weapons to someone/family members when you die if you put their name(s) in the will.
Old March 01, 2018, 21:22   #147
ExCdnSoldierInTx
Old Fart
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airforce1 View Post
Now, you can transfer all prohibited weapons to someone/family members when you die if you put their name(s) in the will.
Well at least you can arrange to keep them out of Troodoh's greasy hands.

Maybe someday sanity will return and you can actually use it.
Old March 21, 2018, 12:22   #148
Airforce1
Registered
Contributor

Inherited Firearms

Hello,

As per the Canadian Gun Law:

Quote:
"ēIf the deceased individual had prohibited privileges on his or her licence, prohibited firearms in the estate can be transferred to certain family members even if they do not have grandfathered privileges, providing:
◦the prohibited firearm is a grandfathered handgun described in subsection 12(6.1) of the Firearms Act, with a barrel equal to or less than 105 mm in length or designed or adapted to discharge .25 or .32 caliber cartridges; and
◦the prohibited handgun was manufactured before 1946; and
◦the individual is the spouse, common-law partner, brother, sister, child or grandchild of the deceased registered owner; and
◦the handgun is used for a permitted purpose such as target shooting or as part of a collection."

See the link for more details from the RCMP: http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/cfp-pcaf/f...tament-eng.htm
Old March 21, 2018, 14:19   #149
Ramone
Registered

Quote:
Well at least you can arrange to keep them out of Troodoh's greasy hands.

Maybe someday sanity will return and you can actually use it.
I feel bad for the Canadians that are stuck there under that guy. Hopefully one day Canadian gun enthusiasts can enjoy their hobby again.