The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The AK Files

Notices

Old January 07, 2017, 22:59   #1
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
Scope mount for underfolder

I've been researching the options for mounting a scope on an underfolder AK. My criteria is this: I want a lower magnification compact scope or optical sight like a Primary arms 3x or a Vortex Spitfire 3x, No red dots or reflex sights. And here is the real challenge; I want it to mount to the side of the receiver and I want to be able to fold the stock without having to drill holes into the side of my Polish receiver, and no goofy rear sight mount adapters or dust cover mounts. So I uncovered a few discussions about Yugoslavian mounts designed to work with the underfolders that lead me to AK master mount and the Yugo M-77 mount rails. The AK master mount is a brilliant design that allows you to put a side rail on an AK that did not come with one without permanently altering the receiver. However, it is just a standard mount so it would not work with an underfolder. The M-77 rails mount higher up on the side of the receiver and they protrude up past the bottom of the dust cover a little bit. They allow room for the stock to fold, but these mounts require drilling into the receiver.

I am actually contemplating buying both and seeing if I can combine the two to make what I want. Surely there is someone with the tools and experience who could produce something like this without having to cobble two mounts together like this? All it needs to be is the AK master mount but with the mounting dovetail extended up higher to clear the folding stock (Yes, I contacted them and have not heard anything back). There is plenty of clearance between the folded stock and the receiver for the part of the mount that attaches to the receiver. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Last edited by Incognito; January 07, 2017 at 23:09.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10, 2017, 20:51   #2
nopec
Registered

FALaholic #: 72693
Looking at the pics, I suspect that the master mount would wobble as its going to be subjected to a lot of torque and only held by the axis pins rather than rivets or bolts. I'mtalking imperceptibly small movement that you can't see but kills your group size.

For what it's worth, I use a Midwest industries railed for end on my underfolder. You could mount a scout scope on it if you're dead set on magnification. It doesn't touch the gas tube so it doesn't get hot.

The only other option i can think of that doesn't require drilling that would support a scope would be the Texas weapon systems railed topcover.
nopec is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2017, 12:05   #3
Incognito
Registered

FALaholic #: 1785
I am exploring the option of building my own based on the AK Master Mount design. Did you notice that on the opposite side, these pins also are threaded and have button screws to keep them tight? I would think that by securing the mount with screws you would be able to get it tight enough to eliminate the wobble you are referring to. Anyway, I guess I will find out. This will take me some time but I think I have located the specs for the dovetail used on AK rails. I am going to buy the scope mount that will work for this setup and and then measure it to make sure the specs I have for the dovetail are correct.
Incognito is offline   Reply With Quote