The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Revolver Files

Notices

Old December 17, 2016, 22:25   #1
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
low left

I sold two subguns and have been getting into single action revolvers. Lots to learn about what looks like a simple machine and it was my pleasure to talk to a fellow that really knows his Colt SAA today.

He gave me a real history lesson then a firm understanding of the mechanics of the Colt SAA and then the history of shooting them and what has changed in the generations. What a great trip through history.

Why do most hit low left when they shoot the Colt SAA, way too heavy mainspring and the trigger is offside of the middle.
Old December 18, 2016, 01:19   #2
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
An interesting point on the SAA.

I had a 2nd gen 7.5 inch model in .45 Colt that shot low and left at 50 feet. I eventually sold it to a collector. I replaced it with a new 3rd gen 4.75 inch model chambered for the .45 Colt. This SAA at 50 feet shot to point of aim. The first five rounds of my hand loaded 255 grain LSWC all went into the ten ring of a 25 yard bullseye target center. I couldn't have been happier. This was the fourth SAA I had shot and the only one that did shoot to POA.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2016, 11:19   #3
Pluribus
Average White Devil
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 5600
I recall talking to an old timer in the way, way back that told me that with the SAA the low and left thing is all about barrel timing. Sound familiar? Us FALers know sumpin' 'bout barrel timing. Even cousin Skeeter as in, Skeeter Skelton, talked about barrel timing with Elmer Keith in an article or two. I don't know the math for these but, that may be your problem and, just a smidge too much rotation and, you're low and left. Skeeter and Elmer would just tap the front sight blade with a chunk of wood until impact was satisfactory to them then, file the height of the blade for the elevation.

YMMV

Way, way back and old, old timer stuff.

Were it not for ignorance, thus we would remain.

Never hate your enemy, it only clouds your judgment.
Pluribus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 18, 2016, 14:31   #4
Bawana jim
Registered

What I know from personal experience with the Colt SAA would not add up to beans compared to the knowledge gleened from the old timers conversation. His explanation of the trigger being off to the left and how a man's trigger finger has to reach through the guard and often touches the frame made good sense. Add to that he said Colt put way too heavy of a main spring in it which slams the sight picture down depending on the shooter of course.

Interesting how he talked about the old timers throwing a shot, he said it was so hard to run the actions on the first gens that folks used the momentum of the gun to help cock them. Also he pointed out with the trigger on the left it was easy for left handed shooters to have accidental discharges as even a nearly straight finger touches the trigger in the guard.
Old January 11, 2017, 10:39   #5
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
So I take it we lefties would have no such problem?
jhend170 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 11, 2017, 11:13   #6
Bawana jim
Registered

I am not an expert, I am just on a learning spree about SAA Colts. I am not left handed, I am right with the world Did get to talk another hour with the expert, good knowledge that I will be able to use in the future. Got a step by step on actions of most of the single action makers and what to look at when you buy one.

His being able to put in your minds eye mechanical knowledge is rare for most gunsmiths.