The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The Daewoo Files

Notices

Old October 22, 2016, 21:31   #1
drdave
Registered

FALaholic #: 27584
Remove front sight tower

I got a DR-200 that I'm trying to bring as close as possible to preban configuration. I've replaced the triggerpack with US parts so I could exchange the thumbhole stock for a folder. I have an M16 flashhider and a few extra crush washers for for the muzzle.

I'd like to restore the bayonet lug as well. I have an AR15 front sight tower that I can dremel to give me a bayonet lug to weld onto the bottom of the Daewoo front sight tower. There is a hole on the bottom of the tower, but under the barrel that hole has no function--it is a remant from drilling up to make a hole above the barrel for porting gas. Neither the Woo nor the AR tower is aluminum (at least they both attract a magnet), so they won't need special welding skill, BUT I realize that its probably a very bad idea to weld to the Daewoo sight tower while it is still in contact with the barrel. The tower is pinned to the barrel, but unlike an AR, the gas piston tube is screwed into the front sight tower, so I won't be able to just knock out a third pin and pull the tower forward. And even if it did, the "permanently attached" post ban muzzle device will need to come off first in order to remove the sight tower/gas block.

So, my question is how to remove the Daewoo front sight tower. Or even better, is anyone with little experience willing to let me hire them to remove the post ban muzzle device and remove and weld the front sight? Anyone? Anyone?
drdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 23, 2016, 21:37   #2
vandal968
Registered

FALaholic #: 23530
Daewoo factory triggers suck, but I'm not sure why you think that you need to swap to AR parts for a folding stock. In any case, it's a good and worthwhile mod.

The bayo lug is pretty useless, but I too had to have one when I lived in CA and wasn't allowed. While you probably can weld one onto the existing post, it will be a hassle and probably won't be as strong as you're hoping if you actually want to bayonet something. I'd just buy a preban sight post with intact lug from daewoorifleparts and swap it out.

The stupid muzzle device is silver soldered and needs a lot of heat to remove. You need to use enough heat to get it off, but not so much that you harm the barrel. I had mine done by daewoorifleparts since it's local to me. He also stocks the correct FH and jamb nut. It may be worthwhile to just ship him your upper and have him handle both items.

cheers,
c
vandal968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24, 2016, 04:52   #3
mitchellh
Registered

FALaholic #: 16852
Switching parts, probably to satisfy 922r compliance.

Don't mess with the front sight, bayonet luggs are useless, and you're going to mess up your rifle. They don't import these anymore, and spare parts are hard to come by.

If you insist on messing with it, at least get a smith whose familiar with DR200s to do the work, ie. Moses.

Good luck.
Old October 24, 2016, 19:32   #4
vandal968
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellh View Post
Switching parts, probably to satisfy 922r compliance.
Ah yes, you're right of course. I momentarily forgot about that particular infringement upon our right that "shall not be infringed"

cheers,
c
Old October 24, 2016, 22:14   #5
drdave
Registered

Yup, trigger replacement was for 922r.

I contacted Moses a while back, he said he is doing other projects and did not want to take this one on. Maybe later--I can hope....

I didn't know that any pre-ban parts were available--I thought the daewoorifleparts.com website was long dead. Is there better contact info?

I predicted that somebody would shake their head and tell me that a bayonet lug is useless and that I have no need for it. By that logic, I have no need to own any battle rifles as I'm not planning on engaging communist infantry hordes maneuvering through my backyard in firefights. I have these toys because I think they are cool. I want my rifle in a military configuration because I think that's cool. That is all the reason I'll ever need.
Old October 25, 2016, 02:03   #6
s0b3
Registered

FALaholic #: 22418
daewoorifleparts.com website has been having problems lately. you can email derek directly at azex@live.com
s0b3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 26, 2016, 21:45   #7
drdave
Registered

Thanks for the help everyone. I was able to reach Derek but got bad news, there are no pre- or post-ban sight towers available in the US. Considering the lack of a gun culture, there are probably no parts available in the ROK either. Sigh...
Old October 27, 2016, 19:26   #8
vandal968
Registered

I'm kind of in shock that Derek doesn't have one. I just checked my parts box for you, but I've only got a non-bayo version, unfortunately.

cheers,
c