The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > General Information > Reviews - products, services, and sellers

Notices

Old November 15, 2012, 11:11   #1
Grahamneall
Registered

FALaholic #: 62175
Trying to purchase from Cole Dist.

Cole Dist. has 11 pages of guns on Gun Broker....HP's, S&W, Barreta's a few Kareens and some odds and ends.

Among his HP's, they have several 'T' series priced very competitively, though many appear to be well used. However, in his ad's, he only mentions 'T' series in two, maybe three ads. I went through all 11 pages (500+ guns) and looked at every HP; trying to decipher from the limited photo's and descriptions, which ones were 'T' series.....I found quite a few.

I was considering buying one of these as a refurb project.

I contacted the seller via email, noting he had several T's and the reason for my interest, further noting it would be nice to find something which wasn't pitted and had a decent bore, as it was hard to tell from his photo's.

The initial response was "yes...we have several".

When I asked what he would recommend to me, the reply was; " something which has at least 80% finish & no pitting".

Since I had already figured 'no pitting' I asked again if they had one in particular which would suit my needs ? Their final reply was' "Yes, they have several...go to Gun Broker and look as business is very busy right know and they don't have the time to hand select for me".

Since I had already looked at every HP they had....I got a little frustrated and gave-up.

As a note, this is a personal prospective, I'm not saying this company is bad to deal with.....

Graham.
Austin, Tx
Grahamneall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2012, 11:19   #2
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
So, what was your question?

Were you asking them if they had something other than the stock listed on gunbroker?

Were you asking them to cherrypick one for you from the guns listed on gunbroker?

Were you able to even identify a particular item on gunbroker that you wanted to inquire about?

You do realize that Coles is about the exact opposite of a hobbyist who is thinning guns from his personal collection?

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2012, 12:30   #3
BlackgunCO
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 64915
Ordered a Kaleen. Will see if it is close to the description when it arrives. Got it off of gb. Had a few pictures with description of finish and bore condition.
BlackgunCO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 15, 2012, 13:29   #4
Grahamneall
Registered

W.E.G.....yes, I was asking if they had something in their collection that would be suitable for a refurb...having already noted non-pitted would be preferred.

Yes, I had looked at all of their offerings, but the photo's are not the best and the descriptions are minimal.....so yes, I was asking them to 'cherry-pick'.

....and yes, I assumed they are not someone selling-off their private collection, both by the name of the company and the vast amount of what they had for sale.

If I decipher what they told me...it's as follows;
1) Yes, they have several of what I was looking for.
2) Go to Gun Broker and choose something.
3) We are too busy to 'hand select' for you.

I spent quite sometime going through their offerings and wanted to insure both sides would be happy with the outcome of the sale....

Like I said, I'm not saying they are a bad company to do business with.....just thought they may have been a little more co-operative. Most re-sellers will hand-pick for a small additional fee....I would have been ok with that, too.

Graham.
Old November 15, 2012, 13:33   #5
Grahamneall
Registered

W.E.G.

To be more specific to your questions....no, I was not asking if they had something other than what was on GB and yes, I identified about 8 or 9 that may have been candidates for a refurb....

Since they were listed on GB, I assume they know what they have...??

Graham.
Old November 15, 2012, 15:16   #6
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grahamneall View Post
W.E.G.

To be more specific to your questions....no, I was not asking if they had something other than what was on GB and yes, I identified about 8 or 9 that may have been candidates for a refurb....

Since they were listed on GB, I assume they know what they have...??

Graham.

That would be a stretch.

Those folks churn through hundreds, if not thousands, of guns per year.
They shoot the pics, stick 'em in a box, and give 'em an inventory number, and stick them in storage until a buyer pays for one.

It would be a real stretch to ask the folks who answer the phone there to go dig through the boxes, and examine a specific gun - let alone a whole set of guns. I respect their decision to offer functional, used guns at low prices. That comes with the added downside of not offering much warm-fuzzy in the deal.

Besides, one man's "surface rust" is another man's "pitting.
Very subjective stuff there.
I can see why they wouldn't dare go into that type of question on the phone.

If its any consolation to you, I can tell you that they do ship promptly, and in my limited experience, the guns were correctly graded as to condition on their gunbroker ads. They don't get much "cherry" stuff, as you probably already figured from looking at their stock.

You won't win the lottery on any gun you get from Coles. You will get just what they describe in their ads - which with few exceptions - can be pretty basic.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012, 00:27   #7
catmguy445
Registered

FALaholic #: 50311
I've bought two or three guns from Cole's, and their description of the guns on GB has always been accurate. I'm real sure that they don't go through the internal workings of each gun, nor do they take any of them apart to check for internal problems. The guns probably get a function check, get a picture taken, and an inventory number assigned, and then they're on GB until they're sold.

I've emailed them about a specific gun and gotten an answer back in 24 hours. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another gun from them, and now that you've mentioned the HP's, I'll have to take a look at what they've got on GB. Thanks for the heads-up.

Last edited by catmguy445; November 16, 2012 at 16:08.
catmguy445 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 16, 2012, 13:34   #8
Grahamneall
Registered

I agree with the comments...I don't think they have a lot of hidden gems and though their descriptions are limited, I think they are accurate, based on the snap-shots they've taken.

Again, not decrying their services or offerings.......was just hoping to find something I could transform from a sow's ear to silk !!

Graham.
Old November 16, 2012, 18:38   #9
Dave1965
Registered

FALaholic #: 67544
Gary Cole, owner of Cole Dist. was shot in a break in of his home this year. He is a great guy and I have dealt with him many times over the last 30 years at gun shows and the Knob Creek Shoot. Apparently it was a relative of his that broke in and tried to get him to open the safe. Gary grabbed an AK at an opportune time (so I am told) and shot it out with his relative.

http://www.wbko.com/home/headlines/M...165680126.html

If you have ever seen them at a show with these types of guns, they have a lot of them usually and they usually vary in condition. The more the price, the better the condition is the best way to decide what to buy. They are VERY limited in staff and deal with a lot of sales.
Dave1965 is offline   Reply With Quote