Originally Posted by hueyville View Post
Great trigger control here
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 29, 2018, 09:56   #52
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
How times have changed in the last 20-30 years, and definitely for the better.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 31, 2018, 23:22   #53
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74557
In the 1970's and early 1980's trigger control was not tripping the sear until intended. Whether finger was inside trigger guard or not wasn't a huge deal if didn't turn rounds loose until gun was aimed at target intended to put a hole in. As ranges got fewer and more crowded with shooters and range officers the guys in red vests needed an easier way to I.D. potential A.D.'s. Now they need chamber flags as well.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
hueyville is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2019, 04:44   #54
Tuscan Raider
Registered

FALaholic #: 19668
My finger is the safety,Sir.

Ghandi

"We, here in America, hold in our hands the hopes of the world, the fate of the coming years; and shame and disgrace will be ours if in our eyes the light of high resolve is dimmed, if we trail in the dust the golden hopes of men."

Theodore Roosevelt
Address at Carnegie Hall
March 30, 1912
Tuscan Raider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2019, 08:08   #55
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuscan Raider View Post
My finger is the safety,Sir.
Kinda like, my belt loop is my bumpstock?
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 01, 2019, 08:56   #56
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
Kinda like, my belt loop is my bumpstock?
Check this, an out of the box DPMS rifle without bump stock or binary trigger and aimed fire. No rubber bands, belt loops, etc. Imagine if Bob Mundan was still alive and challenged to see how fast he could empty an AR. Bet he could run over 500 rpm with his trigger finger. He could draw and fire two ai,ed rounds from a single action wheel gun in a 1/10th of a second. I used to train using his style of draw and shoot from hip using point shooting but only place can practice such now is a total pain to access and have varmints to kill when get there.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...ybaT3Qu9kajw2d

Heard of a local,guy buying bump stocks locally for cash but paying pocket change for them. Glad I sold mine when were nringingn $500 instead of becoming scrap for the burn pile. Wonder what he is going to do with all the used bump stocks he is hoarding? Wonder how many are being buried today? I hope when they go after binary triggers there is an option to Form 4 them as would hate to melt a pile like I did with my autosears. Went to South America for a couple of months and between prepping for trip, being gone, catching up on life when returned didn't realize were outlawed till heard a guy talking about waiting his Form 1's to come back on three. Apparently you could register them attached to a serial number of a rifle or as "no host associated". I would have registered all mine during grace period instead of introducing them to the torch and converting to slag.
A time will come when people will not listen to accurate teachings. Instead, they will follow their own desires and surround themselves with teachers who tell them what they want to hear. 2 Timothy 4:3 G.W.T.
"If it is worth doing once...it's worth doing it a few more times to get it right." Stimpsonjcat
Old January 20, 2019, 14:25   #57
HD Bee
One of the Condemned
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 23751
Back in the 80s we would shoot plates and pins at a local range.
We would also go to see the Wes Thompson Steel Challenge to see the real fast guys shoot.
No bump stocks needed!

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson
HD Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 21, 2019, 00:13   #58
Insider
Registered

FALaholic #: 1183
Brownells makes a reasonable facsimile-
Old January 22, 2019, 08:06   #59
hueyville
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD Bee View Post
Back in the 80s we would shoot plates and pins at a local range.
We would also go to see the Wes Thompson Steel Challenge to see the real fast guys shoot.
No bump stocks needed!
Not many pin shoots left. Remember when Second Chance bussed in pretty girls to reset the pins? Those were the days and a guy with a wheel gun could be as competitive as a repeater if cleared the table without a reload. I preferred a 1911 with 200 grain JHP's to ensure a slightly off center hit would still get a decent grip on the pin and send it off the table. Also liked using a 5" Magnaport 44 Magnum. It would clear the table without reloads if didn't rush it. I never shot a pin match that allowed AR 15's, would be a hoot with one of my 458 SOCOM's once dialed in a pin load for it.
Old January 22, 2019, 20:58   #60
HD Bee
One of the Condemned
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 23751
Quote:
Poor picture but first clone I ever did was a XM177 done on an Oly lower with Colt upper and Colt 1:12 barrel chopped as short as possible for the fake Moderator to bring it up to 16". Need to drag it out and take a better picture and swap barrel at least to 1:9 or faster twist as will not shoot 62 grain bullets straight. 55's will hold up for 100 yards before begin the tumbling tumble weed deal but 62's are tumbling at 25 yards. It likes Black Hills 52 grain factory loads fairly well and why have left it alone. Did this in the late 1980's with help from a Vietnam Get that carried one in the field.

Oly made XM177 clones in the mid 80s.
I bought one at a gun show. It looked like the one that you have pictured except it had a heavy barrel and a full fence lower. The barrel was chrome-moly 1:12 twist. For a 11.5'' barrel with a 5'' flash hider it was very accurate out to 250 yards with good 55 grain ammo.
The lower was out of spec. The mag would rock back and forth in the mag well causing FTF. I ended up putting JB weld in the mag well and then sanding it to fit the mags tight. Now it has a NDS upper and lower with a partial fence.
Early 609 clone.
I need to dig it out of the back of the safe and take a few pictures.

When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro.
Hunter S. Thompson

Last edited by HD Bee; January 22, 2019 at 21:08.
HD Bee is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2019, 20:52   #61
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insider View Post
Brownells makes a reasonable facsimile-
Going to give one of their uppers a try.
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2019, 22:10   #62
Tuhlmann
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 69411
How are the Brownell’s Retro rifles? They seem to get poo-poo’d by the purists, but are they good quality builds that are respectable representations? I ask cuz I’d really like a M16A1 clone, but don’t think I can psychologically endure another trip down the rabbit holes of varietal & variantal minutia on yet another historic firearm model...

ďIím saying: Think about your contribution to society. Be careful when you get into a business that extracts value. Broaden your idea about whatís enough. And for Godís sake, think about who you are.Ē - J. Bogle
Tuhlmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 30, 2019, 22:51   #63
SAFN49
None
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 73015
just get a modern repop with out the MOD.
Colt 6933.
SAFN49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 01, 2019, 20:31   #64
paulo
Registered

FALaholic #: 11856
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuhlmann View Post
How are the Brownellís Retro rifles? They seem to get poo-pooíd by the purists, but are they good quality builds that are respectable representations? I ask cuz Iíd really like a M16A1 clone, but donít think I can psychologically endure another trip down the rabbit holes of varietal & variantal minutia on yet another historic firearm model...
Well,
The reviews on Brownells are not bad. I recieved my XM177 upper today, itís built on a Nodak upper, fit and finish are good. The only issue I have is they shipped the wrong upper, ordered one without a bayo lug, got one with the lug.
Looking at the muzzle end of the barrel it looks like it was cut off and no chamfer was done to the bore. I ordered the pinned and welded moderator, makes the overal length 12.7. Iím thinking the 11.5 barrel with removeable moderator may have a crowned/ chamfered barrel. That being said maybe all barrels look that way, never looked at that end on an AR with the flash hider on.
Seems purists are after Colt rifles so they will poo poo knock offs. Colt wants
$2,500 or so for their M16A1 or XM177. Iíd like a Colt too, just donít want to pay their price. For what it is I think the Brownells offering scratchs the Vietnam rifle itch, for me anyway.
paulo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 06, 2019, 11:08   #65
kar66
Registered

FALaholic #: 63420
Tony

When you said Tony that gave me a flash back from long ago. I hadn't thought or heard anything about him in years. As they say back in the day, I would guess some time in the 90s. Tony came to the old Bagnell Dam gunshow he had 10 or 12 tables loaded with M1,M14,AR part kits and loads of other goodies. That was back in his Nasard days. I spent a lot of money with him that show and would have spent more if I had more. The thing that I remember clearest was a pile of M1 op-rods. I can still remember going through that pile and picking me out a nice unmodified WRA rod for $35.00. I don't remember what else got from him at that show but he had about anything I wanted in parts at the time. He must not of had a great show because he never came back. I guess I should have bought more.
kar66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 16, 2019, 17:19   #66
CarlosC
Registered

FALaholic #: 16349
Quote:

... I hope when they go after binary triggers there is an option to Form 4 them as would hate to melt a pile like I did with my autosears.
I don't think they will and I think the bumpstock ban will be overturned once the suits get to court. The ATF caved in to Trump's wish to ban them using a flimsy interpretation. I think they knew it was weak, but it got them the ban the boss directed. No matter how you look at it, for either bumpstocks or binary triggers, there is only one round fired per function (pull or release) of the trigger. Bumpstocks cycle the pull, binaries on the pull and on the release.
CarlosC is offline   Reply With Quote