Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapon Specific Forums > The 22 Files

Notices

Old July 19, 2019, 06:57   #1
Atla
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 79587
Ruger Mark 4 22/45

It's rare that I have a hard on for a gun, but this is pretty.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/ruge...5-lite-44-10r/

I think I'm going to buy one soon. My poor Ruger Mark 2 is wore plumb out, I bet it's got over 250,000 rounds through that sucker. And every time I take anyone shooting, it's their favorite.

I deserve it. I've been a moderately good boy this year.
Atla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2019, 08:08   #2
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
I have a friend who bought an earlier model without the button take down. He came to me and asked me to buy it for $300 with a bunch of extras with it. He said it didn't feed right and the magazines fell out as he shot it.

At the range I took the gun from him and slid a loaded mag in until it stopped. Jacked the slide and loaded a round and the first shot it jammed and the magazine fell out. Only took a few minutes to find the problem and it was the fit of the mag. Once you had the magazine in as far as it would go you then had to push the base plate forward to get the magazine to click in.

Gun runs great and shoots really straight and now that my friend knows the trick with the magazines he is very happy with the gun.

Good luck with the new gun.
Bawana jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2019, 12:01   #3
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
I have a Mark IV Target and love it. I was drawn to it like many other folks, by ease of take-down/maintenance and itís been reliable and accurate. I donít see myself ever even looking at Mk I-IIIs again.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop!Ē -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19, 2019, 15:29   #4
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Good gawd that thing is ugly.

I suppose if its the ticket to winning some particuarl form of shooting-contest that I cared about, I would find a way to stand looking at it.

The over-stated kvetching on the internet about supposedly difficult take-down/reassembly procedures for the earlier Ruger Mark I/II models is right on par with the legend of cracked slides on Beretta 92/M9 in the early 90's.

No offense to anyone in particular in this thread, but maybe every new gun has to look like it has some abiguous source of origin, and equally ambiguous purpose, to sell to the younger gun buyers these days. Lord knows I don't fall into that category. Now that I have the money to buy any gun I want, I can't think of a single new gun that I do want.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2019, 11:58   #5
Atla
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.G. View Post
Good gawd that thing is ugly.

I suppose if its the ticket to winning some particuarl form of shooting-contest that I cared about, I would find a way to stand looking at it.

The over-stated kvetching on the internet about supposedly difficult take-down/reassembly procedures for the earlier Ruger Mark I/II models is right on par with the legend of cracked slides on Beretta 92/M9 in the early 90's.

No offense to anyone in particular in this thread, but maybe every new gun has to look like it has some abiguous source of origin, and equally ambiguous purpose, to sell to the younger gun buyers these days. Lord knows I don't fall into that category. Now that I have the money to buy any gun I want, I can't think of a single new gun that I do want.
Well.... ouch.

For what it's worth, I've shot the living shit out of my Mark 2 and it's time for a new one. And this Saddam Hussein gold plated sucker is just what I want. Personally, my only caveat about the gun is the barrel length. But meh. I'll slap a suppressor on it...

So suck it.

Or don't.

Either way, you can't come shoot it with me now W.E.G. :P
Old July 22, 2019, 14:47   #6
Timber Wolf
Registered

FALaholic #: 805
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atla View Post
For what it's worth, I've shot the living shit out of my Mark 2 and it's time for a new one.
My hero! A man that actually shot his Ruger handgun enough to wear it out. I have only seen it one time myself and did not think it was really possible. A Bud had a Security Six PPC gun that was shot plumb loose. Just a rattle-trap of a handgun. I can only imagine how much and what kind of loads had been through that thing.

I guess I will forego the MKIV and just keep trying to wear out my old MKII pistolas.

"Guns don't kill people. Daddys with good looking daughters do!"
Timber Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 22, 2019, 15:31   #7
easttex
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
My hero! A man that actually shot his Ruger handgun enough to wear it out. I have only seen it one time myself and did not think it was really possible. A Bud had a Security Six PPC gun that was shot plumb loose. Just a rattle-trap of a handgun. I can only imagine how much and what kind of loads had been through that thing.

I guess I will forego the MKIV and just keep trying to wear out my old MKII pistolas.
Shake that man's hand and buy him a cup of coffee. That's crazy amount of .357 for one man to burn through.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 23, 2019, 10:16   #8
Atla
Registered
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timber Wolf View Post
My hero! A man that actually shot his Ruger handgun enough to wear it out. I have only seen it one time myself and did not think it was really possible.
Oh, it's still got plenty of miles on it. But this one was bought back in the 80's by a close family friend, and was consistent shot the crap out of. The bolt face started chipping though, I'm guessing from the repeated slamming against the barrel. That's why I've determined it's 'worn out'. It still functions fine though.
Old July 29, 2019, 15:13   #9
dvader
Registered

FALaholic #: 53342
Nice pistol. One draw back, however, is that it won't accept magazines from MarK II, or Mark III 22/45s.
dvader is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 29, 2019, 15:57   #10
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvader View Post
Nice pistol. One draw back, however, is that it won't accept magazines from MarK II, or Mark III 22/45s.

Well of course not!

Why would it?!!!

Nothing old is supposed to be compatitble with "the new way."

Aren't you dead yet?

I'm not far out. So they would have me believe.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ruger mark 4