The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old December 05, 2018, 12:22   #1
gunner30
Registered

FALaholic #: 22242
Real I.D. and NICS check

I was just in a small gun shop here in New Hampshire. The owner told me that unless I had an updated ( Real I.D ) drivers license, that he couldn't sell me anything, cuz it won't go thru the NICS check. He also said that this went into effect at the beginning of this month.
Is this true, or is this the case of a small shop FFL not knowing what he is talking about??
Old December 05, 2018, 12:35   #2
imacoonass01
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 80275
IDK. The question you really should be asking is: Why do I not have a valid Driver's License or ID.
Old December 05, 2018, 12:41   #3
gunner30
Registered

New Hampshire was slow to adopt Real I.D. standards for drivers licenses. Hence not everyone in the state has one yet. Mine expires next year
Old December 05, 2018, 12:47   #4
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
Sounds like horseshit.

"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence." -Christopher Hitchens
lew is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 13:23   #5
gunner30
Registered

Kind of my thought also
Old December 05, 2018, 13:31   #6
hkshooter
Mighty Fine!
Contributor

FALaholic #: 5391
I say its BS. NICS isn't unique to NH, we all call the same one and I hadn't had any problems with transfers before I got the Real ID.
Old December 05, 2018, 13:38   #7
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 96
Can't speak for your state, but the problem is that some states issue DLs to illegal aliens.

I recall when renting a car, on the side of the rep's computer was a long list of states from whom a DL was insufficient ID.

AZ only requires one to certify that they are legal, to obtain a DL (which can then be used to vote). So if you are already a criminal invader, why would you give a shit about lying on a DL application?

I have received no notice from ATF about any change in the forms of .gov issued ID that are acceptable for firearms purchase, and this FED requirement does not vary by state. The only note was from a 2012 newsletter stating that Real ID still requires NICS.

It sounds like the store you are dealing with, has employees insufficiently familiar with the laws under which they operate their license.
Old December 05, 2018, 13:50   #8
tdb59
Are We Awake ?
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
" The identification document presented by the transferee must have a photograph of the transferee, as well as the transferee’s name, residence address, and date of birth. The identification document must also be valid (e.g., unexpired) and have been issued by a governmental entity for the purpose of identification of individuals. An example of an acceptable identification document is a current driver’s license

A combination of government issued documents may be used to meet the requirements of an identification document. For example, a passport which contains the name, date of birth, and photograph of the holder may be combined with a voter or vehicle registration card containing the residence address of the transferee in order to comply with the identification document requirements. A passport issued by a foreign government is also acceptable so long as it has all of the required information.

Whether a hunting license or permit issued by a retailer meets the definition of an identification document is State law specific. This license or permit meets the definition of an identification document if the State in which the retailer is located has authorized the retailer to supply State issued documents. If the State recognizes the hunting license or permit as government issued, then this license or permit would qualify as being government issued for the purposes of supplementing another government issued identification document.

A description of the location of the residence on an identification document, such as a rural route, is sufficient to constitute a residence address provided the purchaser resides in a State or locality where it is considered to be a legal residence address."

https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/what...sferee-firearm

For instance, in Oregon a concealed carry permit ( issued by the County) is recognized by the State of Oregon as Government issue.

tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 14:08   #9
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb59 View Post
For instance, in Oregon a concealed carry permit ( issued by the County) is recognized by the State of Oregon as Government issue.
yes, because OR CCW includes photo and address.

AZ does not have a photo or address on their CCW (no permit is required in AZ, but it does give some reciprocity and no NICS.)
Old December 05, 2018, 15:26   #10
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
The reason NICS may not accept your driver's license is because your state hasn't met the Feds' requirements yet.

From Wiki:

The Real ID Act of 2005, Pub.L. 109–13, 119 Stat. 302, enacted May 11, 2005, is an Act of Congress that modifies U.S. federal law pertaining to security, authentication, and issuance procedures standards for state driver's licenses and identity documents, as well as various immigration issues pertaining to terrorism.

The law sets forth requirements for state driver's licenses and ID cards to be accepted by the federal government for "official purposes", as defined by the Secretary of the United States Department of Homeland Security. The Secretary of Homeland Security has defined "official purposes" as boarding commercially operated airline flights, and entering federal buildings and nuclear power plants, although the law gives the Secretary the unlimited authority to require a "federal identification" for any other purposes.

You can tell if your driver's license is compliant because it'll have this little gold star on its right side:

There several in compliance whom have otherwise challenged the law. There are several other states who have not updated their ID processes to be in compliance yet, New Hampshire is among them.

Without delving into the right/wrong of Federal intrusion into State processes, I'll say that "it is what it is."

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 16:51   #11
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
SC is also one of them. Before I bother to go to the DMV to get a Real Id license (my current license expires in 2023), I got myself a passport card. I had to renew my US passport anyway, so for $30 more I got the card.

It does not have your address, but with a DL and that nobody should be able to give you grief..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 17:22   #12
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Your FFL doesn't accept a CCW Card? My state issued CCW card doesn't require 4473's to even be called in to NICS. I fill the form out and on my merry little way

Some states go through their state police rather than federal nics.

Actually, the states that go through their state police, also go through nics, it just adds a meaningless extra step and hassle involving the state police as a middle man for the service.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 17:33   #13
gunner30
Registered

NH is a Constitutional Carry state, no CCW license is issued here
Old December 05, 2018, 17:40   #14
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Way to go FedGov and Ahole leftist states....let's have multiple tiers of driver licenses to confuse the fuk out of all our processes.
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 19:48   #15
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 36091
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Way to go FedGov and Ahole leftist states....let's have multiple tiers of driver licenses to confuse the fuk out of all our processes.
Blame that on idiot Republicans

"Real ID" was one of Dumbya's many Police State scams
Minnesota resisted it until very recently when they decreed if the State didn't comply residents would be barred from even domestic air travel

Checked with three different FFLs, they are running valid old school DLs through NCIS checks no problema here
Riversidesports is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 21:54   #16
K. Funk
Real Life Metallurgist
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 38
PA is not compliant yet either, must use a passport to get on a plane. I think we have until end of 2019 before new licenses come out. As an FFL, I have not received any notices about non-compliant DL's being an issue. It's only an issue with TSA.

krf

You never know what's going on inside the mind of a crazy man!!

Check out username kandainv on Gunbroker; always some neat stuff!!
FYB!!!!
K. Funk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 05, 2018, 21:56   #17
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
The reason NICS may not accept your driver's license is because your state hasn't met the Feds' requirements yet.

."
Mine hasn't.

Bought 2 blue label G43's today.

Nonissue... Christmas is coming.
Old December 06, 2018, 08:50   #18
gunner30
Registered

So, kinda as I figured, this guy was just full of shit..,
Old December 06, 2018, 09:15   #19
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner30 View Post
Couldn't the FFL holder try to run you through NICS and see if you get a *proceed* or not?
I guess it depends on how much you want the item and how anxious the seller is to make the sale.
Wife's favorite color: glitter
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 09:19   #20
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
Quote:
Originally Posted by TenTea View Post
Couldn't the FFL holder try to run you through NICS and see if you get a *proceed* or not?
I guess it depends on how much you want the item and how anxious the seller is to make the sale.
Sounds like BS. I normally provide my SS number. That in and of itself is the only thing that is relayed. The DL is copied and placed in 4473

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 09:29   #21
MordeanGrey
Registered

FALaholic #: 457
I just renewed my driver's license in Kansas.

If you want to be able to board a domestic aircraft flight or enter a federal facility using state issued ID in the future (starting Oct. 1, 2020) you have to get the REAL ID star.

Kansas doesn't require it, but I fly periodically for work and occasionally go to federal facilities, so I needed to get it.

I haven't heard anything about it being necessary for NICS checks around here.
MordeanGrey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 09:49   #22
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Real ID is a GREAT Idea.

Of course, it is only necessary because some state IDs are not vetted.

One can wail about states rights all one wants, but when the states hand out drivers licenses to KNOWN CRIMINAL INVADERS, one cannot then expect the feds to honor it.
Old December 06, 2018, 09:50   #23
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
SC is an option State. You have the option to get a Real ID (where the State keeps copies of your records of proof) or a standard DL which contains the same info as the Real DL, just missing the star or Flag. There has been no issues with using either one for purchase at any of the shops around my AO. 4473 completed by buyer, ID copied and used for NICS, 4473 completed by FFL, funds transferred, sale complete. abbreviated process

So you may want to go back to the store and speak with manager/owner to find out if it is a State requirement for the Real ID or what the source of his understanding is.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 10:36   #24
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak View Post
Do you really blame the Fed, when states like CA hands out drivers licenses to criminal invaders like candy? I think it's a good thing.
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 11:04   #25
djfin
Registered

FALaholic #: 62265
Star

I have the new Illinois real ID license and it does not have a star on it. really stupid process from the DVM. When renewing they punch a hole in your current DL and give you a paper copy of your new license. You need to carry both until they mail your hard plastic license to your home address. takes a couple of weeks to arrive. Why the need to mail it cannot be explained by anyone at the DMV.
djfin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 11:09   #26
gunplumber
Arrogant Bastard
Gold Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by djfin View Post
Why the need to mail it cannot be explained by anyone at the DMV.
AZ the make the license right then. But mailing means if the address is invalid, you won't get it.Which is a good thing, maybe?
Old December 06, 2018, 16:17   #27
boman
Registered

FALaholic #: 395
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunner30 View Post
Yes full of shit, requirements for 4473 and nics check haven't changed.
real id act has no effect on firearms sales at the federal level.

Steve
Old December 06, 2018, 16:41   #28
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
California is the same way. You need a Real ID from the DMV to purchase firearms. The private shooting ranges around my area are telling folks that they need to have a Real Drivers License or they won't let you shoot there either.
Old December 06, 2018, 17:04   #29
wilson180
Registered

FALaholic #: 80897
I live in PA and I picked up a PTR from my FFL yesterday using my driver's license. We won't have the Fed required ID until sometime next year.
wilson180 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 17:14   #30
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunplumber View Post
AZ the make the license right then. But mailing means if the address is invalid, you won't get it.Which is a good thing, maybe?
Well yes and no Mark

The big problem with that is quite a few things now have to go to a physical address, not a PO Box
Had a big issue with a couple of my banks when I moved over this
My little town don't deliver to homes, you either have a mail box at the PO or pick it up at the counter.
I went round and round with idiots over this
cancelled one set of accounts and had to have a sit down with a bank manager at the other bank to get it resolved

Some States won't send ID to a mail box either
The deal is that there are so many mail boxes etc joints

years ago we went through the same thing over FFL
ATF couldn't get their heads around that we didn't have mail delivery at the physical address
much of small town America is like this
Old December 06, 2018, 19:28   #31
Freebooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 76405
These new ID rules really suck for Americans who are overseas when their driver's license expires. If you don't have a current US address it's nearly impossible to get a new one. Of course you still have to pay federal and state taxes - but you can't get a driver's license or buy guns.
Freebooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 22:23   #32
tac-40
Armed Curmudgeon

FALaholic #: 12090
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
Well yes and no Mark

The big problem with that is quite a few things now have to go to a physical address, not a PO Box
Had a big issue with a couple of my banks when I moved over this
My little town don't deliver to homes, you either have a mail box at the PO or pick it up at the counter.
I went round and round with idiots over this
cancelled one set of accounts and had to have a sit down with a bank manager at the other bank to get it resolved

Some States won't send ID to a mail box either
The deal is that there are so many mail boxes etc joints

years ago we went through the same thing over FFL
ATF couldn't get their heads around that we didn't have mail delivery at the physical address
much of small town America is like this
It is very simple, and most DMV and States handle it like this. You give the DMV your actual street addres:

123 City Avenue
Anytown, CA 12345-6789

Your MAILING address is:

PO Box 321
Anytown, CA 12345-6789

Two different entities and purposes.

Schools uses to start with the "three R's". Reading, writing, and arithmetic. Now they start with the "three D's". Dipshitery, Dumbassery, and Douchebaggery-Retired Bum

If you do in fact have a problem, you have the rest of your life to solve it. How long your life lasts only depends on how well you solve it.
tac-40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 23:07   #33
Tak
Registered

FALaholic #: 27291
Quote:
Originally Posted by hagar View Post
Do you really blame the Fed, when states like CA hands out drivers licenses to criminal invaders like candy? I think it's a good thing.
Yes. They should just render all CA Driver's Licenses invalid outside CA and other states should do likewise.

Full Faith & Credit went out the window when these ahole states started giving chit to illegal, expecing other states to recognize their made up 'homosexual marriages', and not recognizing CCW permits in a receipricol manner
Tak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 06, 2018, 23:27   #34
Riversidesports
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac-40 View Post
It is very simple, and most DMV and States handle it like this. You give the DMV your actual street addres:

123 City Avenue
Anytown, CA 12345-6789

Your MAILING address is:

PO Box 321
Anytown, CA 12345-6789

Two different entities and purposes.
operative word is "most"

We resolved the issue with ATF years ago by incorporating the PO Box as part of our physical address

My one Bank refused to even do that. Everything had to go to the physical address which it couldn't.
Old December 07, 2018, 12:51   #35
Nomad, 2nd
Registered

FALaholic #: 33115
Quote:
Originally Posted by MordeanGrey View Post
I just renewed my driver's license in Kansas.

If you want to be able to board a domestic aircraft flight or enter a federal facility using state issued ID in the future (starting Oct. 1, 2020) you have to get the REAL ID star.

Kansas doesn't require it, but I fly periodically for work and occasionally go to federal facilities, so I needed to get it.

I haven't heard anything about it being necessary for NICS checks around here.
You have lots of other options. I'll just use my military ID.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riversidesports View Post
operative word is "most"

We resolved the issue with ATF years ago by incorporating the PO Box as part of our physical address

My one Bank refused to even do that. Everything had to go to the physical address which it couldn't.
I live out past where the post office delivers. I could get a rural mailbox but it would literally be miles from my house.
I got a private P.O. Box in town. It does not "come up" as a P.O. BOx, but rather a physical address.
Old December 07, 2018, 13:29   #36
Bawana jim
Registered

FALaholic #: 17482
Real ID is just as much about spying on you as it is identification, might want to think about that.
Old December 07, 2018, 14:09   #37
raubvogel
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 64403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bawana jim View Post
Real ID is just as much about spying on you as it is identification, might want to think about that.
They all are
raubvogel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 08, 2018, 00:08   #38
aussiedave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7307
VIRGINIA WILL NOT issue a real ID drivers license to a non citizen legal resident.
Old December 08, 2018, 11:32   #39
Richard W.
Contributor

FALaholic #: 7133
Don't get me started on Virginia...

October was my renewal month so I decided to get the new Real ID. Process involves gathering a pile of documentation and appearing in person. No online applications.

Took a half-day off work the first attempt. Got all the way through the line to the counter to be told that the Real ID server was "down."

Rather than just take a regular DL, I returned later in the week on Saturday. Three hours waiting outside the DMV only to be told at the door that the Real ID server was down again. WTF? Took a regular license for my renewal. Will go back for the new type later this year, I suppose. Need it for flying eventually, I understand.

You guys involved with servers, tell me, is it really so damned difficult to keep them up and running? Or, is it as I suspect, that state employees are just fucktards?
Richard W. is offline   Reply With Quote