Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > Curios & Relics

Notices

Old June 15, 2019, 11:05   #1
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
1916 CG Haenel, Suhl

I ran into a Mauser Sporter in 257 Roberts, built on a 1916, CG Haenel of Suhl, GEW action.

It has a very well done checkered stock from the 1950's and a flip to the side scope mount, that appears very sturdy. The 21" bbl is marked Lefever Arms, an old school gun maker.

It is cheap at $300.

I missed buying a 1909 Mauser type b, years ago for $800., with the half rib bbl.
It is now listed online for $4k.

Is this another bad deal that will never appreciate? Billions of guns out there.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 15, 2019, 11:17   #2
VALMET
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
It sounds like a serviceable rifle in a popular old caliber- but I doubt it will every really appreciate. So at $300, how much do you want or like it?

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science. Now hand me that ice-cream scoop! -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16, 2019, 10:28   #3
Randall
Registered

FALaholic #: 4979
Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET View Post
It sounds like a serviceable rifle in a popular old caliber- but I doubt it will every really appreciate. So at $300, how much do you want or like it?
This ^

The 257 Roberts is a great cartridge. The Mauser is a great action. How is the fit and finish? How is the trigger? Bent, cut and welded, or straight bolt? In any case, you couldn't build this rifle for $300 today. Is it worth the price as a serviceable rifle depends on how well it was put together.

But, if the question is only whether it will appreciate or not, likely depends on whether Lefever Arms built this rifle in a factory. Or, if it was a custom build from a "notable gunsmith".
Old June 16, 2019, 14:51   #4
FAL GRUNT
Registered

FALaholic #: 7561
As the other said, this will not likely appreciate much in value. As stated, it is a good cartridge in a good action and you could barely buy the parts today for that price. Personally I would buy it just as a utilitarian rifle.

257 Roberts is one of my favorites, and CG Haenel happens to be one of my favorite German Suhl gunmakers.
Old June 18, 2019, 08:01   #5
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
That might be a Pachmayr Lo-swing scope mount. Quite popular when scope were not trusted much and a hunting rifle always had iron sights.

.257 Roberts Mauser for $300? Oh 'ell yeah! That would find a place in my Gun Room any day.
Old June 18, 2019, 12:41   #6
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
Well, the old dog followed me home. I did not need it, I wanted it.

Pachmayer side swing mount, as has been mentioned; seem pretty sturdy, I had never seen one before; 2.5 power redfield scope.

It also has a quality Lyman 48 sight, mounted in the usual place, and a fancy ramp front sight. 21" .257 bbl is clean and shinny.

Pro built stock, semi fancy walnut, bbl perfectly bedded, and checkering is pro perfect.

Came with nice military style leather sling. Bought a couple boxes of Hornady 117 gr superformance ammo.

Can't go wrong, for out the door with ammo and tax, just under $400.

I will use it for deer this fall.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote