The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 23, 2017, 20:20   #1
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
Ruger Redhawk 44Mag.

Stopped by the local toy store today and he had an older Ruger Redhawk in 44Mag, decent blued finish and I think 7.5 barrel with the box for 475.

I already have a Taurus M44 and the wife has a S&W model 629, both are fun to shoot but I understand the Ruger is allot stronger.

I am thinking about picking it up, but since I only shoot off the shelf ammo and already have two 44 mag pistols to shoot when I get the urge, I can't come up with a reason to pick this one up.

Any help would be appreciated.
flejl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2017, 20:53   #2
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 1826
$475 isn't bad for a Redhawk. Unless you have to have a DA .44 you can find used Super Blackhawks for less (sometimes like new). Indestructible revolvers. I'm a S&W guy as I own 8 of them and some may crucify me, but I believe that in 2017, Ruger mfg'd the best revolver available.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
VALMET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2017, 21:36   #3
gunseller
Registered

FALaholic #: 10120
The best reason of all to get is because you do not have one. I have a 5 1/2 inched barreled Red Hawk I have owned for around 30 years. The Red Hawk revolver is stronger than the Super Black Hawk and the Super Red Hawk is stronger yet.
Steve
gunseller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 23, 2017, 21:50   #4
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Gunseller- do you have any info on pressures/strength between the Super Blackhawk/RedHawks? Not being a smarta%# at all, genuinely curious as I used to be a big handgun reloader.

"Dammit Smithers this is brain surgery, not rocket science!" -C. Montgomery Burns
Old September 23, 2017, 22:01   #5
gunseller
Registered

FALaholic #: 10120
Just going by what Ruger says. I have several SBHs and RHs and I do believe from shooting hot ammo that the RH will take more. That said I still like the SBH better.
Steve
gunseller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017, 04:43   #6
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
Quote:
Originally Posted by flejl View Post
Stopped by the local toy store today and he had an older Ruger Redhawk in 44Mag, decent blued finish and I think 7.5 barrel with the box for 475.

I already have a Taurus M44 and the wife has a S&W model 629, both are fun to shoot but I understand the Ruger is allot stronger.

I am thinking about picking it up, but since I only shoot off the shelf ammo and already have two 44 mag pistols to shoot when I get the urge, I can't come up with a reason to pick this one up.

Very good price for a shooter Redhawk 44 mag in blue finish. Buy it.

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017, 07:10   #7
4x401
Giver of Noogies...
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 31978
Buy it.
Old September 25, 2017, 07:22   #8
W.E.G.
FAL Files Administrator
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 1211
Guns are cheap.

Your time is costly.

Ask me about the Mason-Dixon FAL Collectors Association.
W.E.G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017, 09:51   #9
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
Love mine. Can't hurt it. Someone in another post up in the Revolvers section had likely fired a double charge in theirs, and after checking it out and testing it determined no ill effects were incurred by the gun. Now I'm not saying to do that on purpose, but it's good to know it can take a licking like a Timex and come out no worse for wear on the other side. I'm not sure I could say the same about a Smith.

Don't get me wrong though, no Redhawk can ever have the trigger a Smith can. I have a 686+ that has the sweetest DA and top 2 SA triggers (Top is my built 1911, but well, 1911) I own. The Ruger and the Smith were tuned by the same guy, but the Smith wins. The RH though I've put full-power loads through with one hand while filming with my phone with the other. It's just wonderfully balanced and weighty to tame the .44's recoil. I've shot 29s and they were far snappier and less comfortable, however good the trigger was.

For the record I paid $500 cash to an individual for my stainless, and thought it a really good deal. $475 for a blued version isn't bad at all. I say go for it.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017, 11:13   #10
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
Quote:
Originally Posted by flejl View Post

I have a Super Redhawk in roughly the same configuration as this, paid $475 for it, and love it. I'd buy it.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017, 12:39   #11
mike minihan
Registered

FALaholic #: 16051
I have a SB and RH also. Garrett loads Hammerhead ammo to 43,500 c.u.p.
for both. I have used it in both.
Old September 25, 2017, 19:14   #12
MontanaGrant
Registered

FALaholic #: 52664
I have a 5.5" Redhawks blues I picked up for 490 two years ago. I love it, put several thousand rounds at minimum hrough it. One of my true favorite handguns. 240 lswc for plinking and 240 nobler jhp for the rest. A few 300 hardcasts if a grizzly ever wanders to this side of the state lol

Was planning on getting a red hawk and cutting down to 3". However I just got an Astra snubby. Guess see how it stacks up. I don't load too of the book in my 44. I figure a critter either two or four legged isn't going to notice 50-80fps difference.
MontanaGrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017, 14:38   #13
MAINER
Old Salt
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 18465
Quote;
" am thinking about picking it up, but since I only shoot off the shelf ammo and already have two 44 mag pistols to shoot when I get the urge, I can't come up with a reason to pick this one up."

Neither can I, so sorry, can't help you here. I am the last person to tell someone NOT to buy a firearm they like, but if you are an occasional 44 mag shooter, use mostly factory 44 Mag ammo and don't reload, I see little reason to recommend that you buy the Redhawk, or most any other Revolver in that caliber.

I love the 44 Mag and have several S&W's and Rugers in the caliber. Full power loads get punishing real soon, so most of my shooting with the Maggie is a handload that would qualify as a hot 44 Special.

I recommend a 357 Mag for folks that don't reload, good all-around cartridge and 38 Specials are much easier and cheaper than 44 Specials for practice.
Old September 27, 2017, 22:18   #14
spider991
Registered

FALaholic #: 35820
Buy it or tell us where it is,lol...you can't loose
spider991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 28, 2017, 14:06   #15
STGThndr
Registered

FALaholic #: 14583
Hold out for a stainless, 5.5"... better product. Found a good used one a few years ago, the only drawback is... I want a 4" barrel...
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
The best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity.

W.B Yeats
STGThndr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017, 13:50   #16
V guy
Dinosaur
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 10282
There is a Redhawk out there with serial # 00044 that I had some history with.

It was purchased by my late cousin and neither I nor he could hit the broadside of a barn with it. He gave up on it and sold it.
I love shooting .44 mag one handed; it is what a pistol should feel like, but that gun, two handed and braced, simply sprayed its bullets somewhere we did not know.
V guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 29, 2017, 22:04   #17
AZ Dave
Registered

FALaholic #: 7882
Buy the Redhawk and dump the Taurus...you wont be sorry!
Old September 30, 2017, 09:22   #18
STG_58_guy
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 65886
Warning: thread hijack.

What's the story on grip evolution between the Blackhawk, Redhawk, and GP100? That seems to be the most interesting difference I've noticed between the models.

I owned a GP100 in .357 for a decade. It was by far the most comfortable full power handgun I've shot.
STG_58_guy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 30, 2017, 10:17   #19
VALMET
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by STG_58_guy View Post
Warning: thread hijack.

What's the story on grip evolution between the Blackhawk, Redhawk, and GP100? That seems to be the most interesting difference I've noticed between the models.

I owned a GP100 in .357 for a decade. It was by far the most comfortable full power handgun I've shot.
Cannot say for sure as I don't own a Redhawk but I had one of the first of the new 3" GP-100s in .44 Spl and hated it. The grip angle and the 3" bbl made the bore axis feel like it was 1' above the webbing of my hand. I was disappointed as I was excited for it (I love a .44 Spl).

Old October 01, 2017, 11:36   #20
flejl
Registered

FALaholic #: 10776
Wow, great responses !!!!

I have been thinking about this for a while and will most likely pass on it... easy to say, hard to do..., unless of course I stop by again and he is willing to go lower... I had trouble passing up a good deal.

Regarding some of he other suggestions, I have a couple 357 mags, a Colt Trooper Mk3 and an S&W Model 28, both great firearms and fun to shoot. On the down side, 357 does not have the "big bang" and fireball when pulling the trigger you get fro the 44mag.

The Taurus M44 will stay since to me it is a better shooter than the S&W model 629 due to the expansion chamber and porting. To me it is more or less comparable to a S&W Performance Center model 629, at a way lower price. Please remember, both Taurus and S&W were owned by the same holding company for a while.. I have taken a part the and the M44 and 629 and on the exterior the Taurus matches the S&W for quality. Inside the grip frame on the Taurus in areas not visible you can find a few machine marks, but that is about it.

I know SA revolvers can be very strong, but for some reason the "cowboy style" does not appeal to me. When it comes to revolvers, my preference seems to be the DA design even though I mainly shoot them SA... I guess that shows some personality disorder, but it is what it is.
flejl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 02, 2017, 06:43   #21
parallaxbill
Prototype machinist
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 26251
Like flash and a big bang? This is my 4.2" Redhawk in 45 Colt shooting 300 grain XTP's from Underwood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1oQ9YFR5Lg

Best Drop 8 time, 9.41, 8 for 8
6.5 Grendel AR15
parallaxbill is online now   Reply With Quote