The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Weapons Discussion > General Firearms Discussion

Notices

Old September 24, 2017, 11:53   #1
Bubacus
Registered

FALaholic #: 13971
Have I become anti-social at the range?

As a lot of my shooting friends have either moved away or spend less time at the range, I find myself not wanting to chew the fat with a lot of other shooters at the range in the past few years. Some of this is also related to living in MA. I find two types of people that either want to talk or confront me on the types of guns/mags I have.

The first type: Shooters who want to talk. Usually approach me to talk about what I'm shooting and show me several of their firearms. Often times they show me purple and white camo print duracoat jobs they have had on their Gen 1 Glocks that I am not very interested in. They prattle on about about the benefits of stippling their grips over and over and how they wish they could afford something in .338 Lapua. I try to be polite and say "that's nice, but I've got to run or we are loosing daylight."

The second type: The range fuds that are policing the club to examine if glock U-notch mags are in compliance, AR-mags are legit pre-bans, or if a muzzle brake really is a flash hider. I have become much less tolerant in my age of these folks. I usually have a standard response, "Are you here to shoot or bust balls? I get you don't want the club shut down, but there are many internet forums to police if you like, get lost." Usually there is a ragefull response with a threat of going to some board member of the club. I just yawn and continue to shoot.

I'm sure there are great folks to talk with and that are like minded at the range, but I don't know if it is age or just fatigue with these folks that makes me not want to talk to anyone. So am I getting anti-social or just old?
Old September 24, 2017, 12:01   #2
tdb59
not really a gun guy
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 63177
The same assholes were at the range 30 years ago....now they hang out in gun shops too, since they can drive their lard ass closer to their victims.

They are still just as annoying, but life is too short to endure the prattle.

Matthew 5:16
tdb59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 12:18   #3
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 34604
I usually don't mind talking to someone if they keep it brief like when changing targets. But for the most part, I don't like being around a bunch of assholes that exercise poor gun safety like handling during cease fire. You'd be surprised how many there are. Even my best friend brings his FAL and carries it by the handle sweeping everyone. He's a vet.

Expect the worst, and you'll never be disappointed.

Before trying to beat the odds, make sure you can survive the odds beating you.
meltblown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 14:22   #4
maxaks
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 76002
Usually turn around and go home if there is anyone there
maxaks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 14:32   #5
Bubacus
Registered

While I don't get into arguments like this, there are fudd patrols that often ask questions for anytime they hear the rate of fire of over 5 rounds per miniute:

Go to the 1:30 mark for the conversation. This guy is confronted by a concerned Fudd. No hip firing or out of control behavior. I would have asked this gentleman to go pound sand and asked him if he were at a Bingo parlor or a gun club:

Old September 24, 2017, 15:41   #6
Retired Bum
Registered

FALaholic #: 21904
I usually go to my club range during the weekdays. I am less likely to find anyone else there on those days.

But there are times when one or more shooters will arrive after I am set up and shooting. I stay alert because I never know just what these people are going to do. Some of them are complete idiots when it comes to safe gun handling. I don't hesitate to tell them to keep that muzzle pointed downrange and it doesn't matter if the gun is loaded or not.

One time I was shooting my Mauser Parabellum which is a repro Luger made in 1968. Some fudd decided he wanted a closer look at it and started to pick it up off the table without asking permission. I told this idiot to keep his meat hooks off my property. He got all offended at this and started to give me a ration of sh!t. I told him to shut the fcuk up and stay away from me. I can be very anti social when I get in the mood.

The older I get the less bullsh!t I am going to take from anyone regardless of when or where. Leave me alone and everything will be just fine.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Retired Bum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 15:51   #7
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Other than the occasion match or shooting with friends out of state somewhere, my range is right here on the back of the farm. The regulars and the visitors that get invited are pretty much good people all.

The very occasional "friend-of-a-friend" douche-bag that slips in under the wire gets told very bluntly to shape up or ship out. The "rangemaster" here (me) is far from perfect, but its my range and my rules or GTFO. Period.

I am a positive guy and always think the best of everyone unless they prove me wrong. If they ever do prove me wrong, redemption is very, very seldom achieved. Tigers do not change their stripes.
Old September 24, 2017, 15:54   #8
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post
nge and it doesn't matter if the gun is loaded or not.

The older I get the less bullsh!t I am going to take from anyone regardless of when or where. Leave me alone and everything will be just fine.

And so it goes.

The Retired One
Crotchety much? I feel ya. Fugg off is my attitude. I love to shoot but I hate having to go to the range unless there's only a couple of people their or less

I have helped some people get on paper who didn't bring a spotting scope. It always makes me shake my head when someone brings an AR and is sighting in at 100 with no scope.

Last edited by meltblown; September 24, 2017 at 16:00.
Old September 24, 2017, 16:00   #9
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
I count my blessings, big time.
Our private club is on a private farm in a gated limestone quarry.
We have around 50 members (capped) and there is rarely a crowd.
Nobody bothers us and we make our own range rules.
I would get edgy without an outdoor range to hang around at.
I am heading into curmudgeon country but still on the road!

=------} They strain gnats and swallow camels...

=------} Just a battleship mouth and a rowboat ass...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 16:23   #10
Texgunner
long-time Texas taxpayer
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 4653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired Bum View Post

The older I get the less bullsh!t I am going to take from anyone regardless of when or where.
I find this true for me too. And it sure isn't limited to just gun ranges either.
Old September 24, 2017, 16:33   #11
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubacus View Post
While I don't get into arguments like this, there are fudd patrols that often ask questions for anytime they hear the rate of fire of over 5 rounds per miniute:

Go to the 1:30 mark for the conversation. This guy is confronted by a concerned Fudd. No hip firing or out of control behavior. I would have asked this gentleman to go pound sand and asked him if he were at a Bingo parlor or a gun club:

I can see his point, at least about the rapid firing, but I would never shoot anywhere where I can see traffic from the firing line and they have houses close enough to yell. They are obviously in the Northeast and way too close to others for comfort. Target thing is BS.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 16:33   #12
Impala_Guy
Registered

FALaholic #: 55819
I've become kind of wary of talking to people at gun shows. There's always that one guy who will immediately veer into irrelevancies and will talk your ears off for 20 minutes and won't pause long enough for you to make a polite escape.
Old September 24, 2017, 16:49   #13
OLDMANPBK
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 69978
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxaks View Post
Usually turn around and go home if there is anyone there
This is my plan also. Shooting for me is not a team sport. I always try to go when it's raining, this seems to weed out the rabble.

COBC #4
OLDMANPBK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 17:08   #14
meltblown
Registered
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Impala_Guy View Post
I've become kind of wary of talking to people at gun shows. There's always that one guy who will immediately veer into irrelevancies and will talk your ears off for 20 minutes and won't pause long enough for you to make a polite escape.
Does Huey have a cousin? my wife will get sucked in on some stupid shit. I walk away. Texas no beer at gunshows unlike FL. Not as much fun

Old September 24, 2017, 18:03   #15
hagar
Registered

FALaholic #: 228
You meet some of the best, and some of the worst people around firearms. Competition shooters have been great overall, it's the fuds at the public range or gunstores that I have a problem with. If they annoy me, my standard response is "I think you are confusing me with somebody else, the somebody that gives a chit about what you have to say". That normally shuts them up. Then the anti hunting people you inadvertently meet hunting. I told one woman in AZ that if she doesn't shut up, I would slap the shit out of her. She believed me, probably because of my accent. And I'm not the woman beating type, but some people need beating regardless their sexual orientation ..
hagar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 18:14   #16
ByronF
Registered

FALaholic #: 630
I like everyone at the range. I just walk up and start talking and next thing you know it's getting dark. I always take something cool to show them(you should see what I just got for my AR), and I bone up on the latest news from Firingline forum so I have something to teach them. Like the underhanded reverse slingshot tap-rack-fingerbang-sweep FTF drill.

Once in a while I run into a jerk but most people pay attention to me. But yeah, some people at the range are hard to take.
ByronF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 18:29   #17
tommygun2000
Registered

FALaholic #: 9196
Get a T shirt made to wear to the range: "I'm here to shoot not talk, your cooperation is appreciated!"

I rarely go to the local public range and when I do I'm usually the first or second one there and I leave as soon as there are more than 6 or seven shooters. Too many idiots to watch out for.

For the most part now I walk out my back door and shoot on my own property, 190 acres, good backstops, No fudds, no complaining neighbors, and shoot full auto any time I please.

Last edited by tommygun2000; September 24, 2017 at 18:38.
tommygun2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24, 2017, 20:50   #18
brunop
Refresh Key Masher
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 17136
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post
I like everyone at the range. I just walk up and start talking and next thing you know it's getting dark. I always take something cool to show them(you should see what I just got for my AR), and I bone up on the latest news from Firingline forum so I have something to teach them. Like the underhanded reverse slingshot tap-rack-fingerbang-sweep FTF drill.

Once in a while I run into a jerk but most people pay attention to me. But yeah, some people at the range are hard to take.

I support any person who steals 3% from PP by conducting business transactions as Family & Friends transactions. This may impugn my character, and, according to Mark Graham of Arizona Response Systems, means that I'll lie, cheat, and steal from people here *if* there is anything about you that I don't like - or possibly even disagree with.

You may not want to do business with me. In case you forget this, this warning will appear in any future advert in the Marketplace. Consider yourself duly warned.

http://www.falfiles.com/forums/showp...7&postcount=89
brunop is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 25, 2017, 12:36   #19
lew
Registered
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 16727
I'll take a couple of other people along with me, but the shooting range IS my anti-social place. Leave me the hell alone, although I am typically polite when interaction is required.
Old September 25, 2017, 13:36   #20
Wildcat
Registered

FALaholic #: 6517
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
I can see his point, at least about the rapid firing, but I would never shoot anywhere where I can see traffic from the firing line and they have houses close enough to yell. They are obviously in the Northeast and way too close to others for comfort. Target thing is BS.
Everyone has different ideas about rapid firing. As someone who tends to shoot sequences quickly (fallout from competition shooting, I guess) I've been annoyed by more than one person who has a poor understanding of the difference between controlled shooting and just producing spent brass.

The neighbor is a loon. Here's why: Look at how many benches are on that range. If there were three or more people shooting there, they could easily surpass the rate of fire shown in the video clip.
Neighbor lives within shouting distance of the shooting range and yells about the noise? That is kind of stupid, even for Connecticut...but then maybe Connecticut shooting ranges are not used so much.

We've had people do similar things though. Some dingbat moved close to our range. Not within shouting distance but no doubt they could hear the shots. They called the police to complain about stray rounds. Fortunately for us the fresh 'spent' bullet they showed the police had no rifling marks on it.
Old September 25, 2017, 13:59   #21
jhend170
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 76477
I've found if you want to be left alone at the range don't take anything that looks interesting. My problem is I don't care for "boring" much, so a lot of what I own catches the eye a lot more than "oh look, another Glock..."

I feel this need to make the world a safer place though. Having been a firearms instructor in the Navy telling those guys what to do and the ability to yell at them if the f'd up made it worth the trouble to do so; nobody wanted to continue to get $#!+ after range time so folks listened. Guys at the public ranges, however, are a completely different story. I watch them for a bit of time before I sit down at the line next to them. It's when they bring their girls though that I have my chance to impart some safety on the world. Too often those young dumbazzez put a .44 or something in their girl's hands that's WAY too much gun and laugh at them when they lose their grip or whatever to recoil. This is where I step in while their guys yuk it up, and offer them something neat looking (usually the Ruger Mk2)yet very soft to shoot. Before long I've worked them up to a 9mm or better, under control, hitting POA, with knowledge of the 4 rules of gun safety. I giggle internally when they go back to their dudes and chastise them about doing unsafe $#!+.

WELL WORTH THE TROUBLE!!! Where they won't listen to me they'll listen to the person with half their money and all the they have access to. Entertaining indeed.
jhend170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017, 06:27   #22
Bubacus
Registered

I guess this guy is just screaming for attention at the range. Kind of a bad setup to be plowing away with folks so close. This type of shooting is for the snowy day where no one wants to go to the range anyway and there is no one else to bother.

Old September 26, 2017, 07:45   #23
Falfan2017
Registered

FALaholic #: 79031
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWOHFAL View Post
Ya but he's also clearly at a range. Why the hell did they put a range somewhere that you could get in trouble for making noise?
Falfan2017 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017, 08:13   #24
TenTea
Registered
Contributor

FALaholic #: 72247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubacus View Post
I guess this guy is just screaming for attention at the range. Kind of a bad setup to be plowing away with folks so close. This type of shooting is for the snowy day where no one wants to go to the range anyway and there is no one else to bother.

{kicked out of range video}
Funny how a little noise and a little harmless fun get *other shooters* so bent out of shape...sad really.

=------} They strain gnats and swallow camels...

=------} Just a battleship mouth and a rowboat ass...
TenTea is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017, 08:26   #25
justashooter
Registered

FALaholic #: 5967
Quote:
Originally Posted by ByronF View Post

your sarcasm is sublime. some might note get it. your humor used to be broader (hillbilly x-rays and shooting flares straight up to see if they come back down on your head). like a fine wine, old friend.
If the concept of heading on down to the local Home Depot and transforming $100 worth of random pipe bits into a killing machine doesn’t appeal to you, you’re a frikkin' pansy. Also, you’re probably sane and will live significantly longer than I will.

Nonetheless you disgust me, and I take comfort in the knowledge that your obituary will be nowhere near as humorous as mine.

The next time I hear "THE RANGE IS NOW HOT", it just wont be the same.

Max tried another question. "What sort of people live about here?"
"In THAT direction," the Jin said, waving its right paw round, "lives a Han: And in THAT direction," waving the other paw, "lives a Ming Hare. Visit either you like: they're both mad."
"But I don't want to go among mad people," Max remarked.
"Oh, you can't help that," said the Jin: "we're all mad here. I'm mad. You're mad."
"How do you know I'm mad?" said Max.
"You must be," said the Jin, "or you wouldn't have come here."
justashooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017, 12:52   #26
easttex
Registered

FALaholic #: 20438
This thread is forum gold. Best one I've read this week.

Molon labe
easttex is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017, 14:14   #27
droid
Registered

FALaholic #: 8207
Quote:
Originally Posted by easttex View Post
This thread is forum gold. Best one I've read this week.

I agree!

ByronF is clearly in the lead with his hilarious post... That really made my day!
droid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017, 18:41   #28
Bubacus
Registered

A little more fun with fudds. Same old song and dance with asking to see if the AMD is full auto..Friend with a camera left it on accidentally, but you can hear the comments pretty well:

Old September 26, 2017, 21:05   #29
jt59
Registered

FALaholic #: 21735
I have a twenty and seventy-five yard setup in the woods behind my house. If it is raining I can shoot from my garage into a sandbox about twenty-five yards out. Many of my neighbors have ranges and it is not unusual to hear a lot of gunfire on the weekends. I try to shoot a few rounds every day because I lose the ability to shoot accurately if I stop for more than a few weeks.
Somewhere to the south I sometimes hear full auto.
jt59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26, 2017, 21:21   #30
SWOHFAL
Registered

FALaholic #: 34346
Quote:
Originally Posted by Falfan2017 View Post
Ya but he's also clearly at a range. Why the hell did they put a range somewhere that you could get in trouble for making noise?
They probably had decent neighbors 40-50 years ago and fewer of them. I've seen people who own nearby McMansions petition local airports that have been there for years to restrict landing and take-off hours. You know gun owners are lower than pond scum in New England liberals' eyes, so good luck in court.

- Fyodor Dostoevsky
SWOHFAL is online now   Reply With Quote