The FAL Files  

Go Back   The FAL Files > Discussion Forums > The Great Outdoors

Notices

Old November 19, 2017, 03:41   #1
grumpy1
Registered

FALaholic #: 72190
Pheasant hunting

Well, not living in an area were pheasant are plentiful at least in areas that are open of hunting, itís been interesting so far this years. Iíve been able to get out with the dogs a couple times this season and finally was able to kick a couple rosters up which got the dogs excited as well as me.

The first pheasant surprised me as it busted out of its hidding place to my left and headed behind me. As I turned I fumbled switching the safety off and blew a close shot but I was able to get a shoot off at it at about 25 to 30 yards but couldnít get another shot of as my yellow lab Lucky was hot on it's tail. She kind of gave me a scare as she veered off to the right and disappeared into some sagebrush and wasnít responding when I was calling her. I was afraid that some of the shot had hit my dog. It took about 15 minutes to find her as she circled back to where the pheasant had flushed out from and was busy trying to find another pheasant as I had headed down towards where I had last seen Lucky with the movie star red lab Paris.

The next pheasant kicked up and I couldnít have asked for a better shoot as the pheasant was about 15 yards away and flew straight up into the air about 10 to 12 feet high. It seemed to just be sitting there for ever as I shouldered my Remington 870. Then the worst thing happened, nothing but a click of the hammer falling on an empty chamber. I had short stroked my first shot and I hadnít thought to check after the first shot. I was able to realize what had happened and reloaded the shotgun but by this time the roster was putting some distance between us and it was another 25+yard shot. I watched where the pheasant went down about a hundred yards away into some vegetation that was only about three inches tall and disappear. Tried to see if I could get the dogs to flush that roster again but couldnít find it again.

Had planned on heading back to the Jeep to rest and see if the storm would blow over that had set in. However, as I looked out towards the West all I could see was thick heavy black clouds. Then the rain really started to come down, the wind started picking up and I thought it wasnít worth waiting around to see if the weather blow over and headed home.

I think the worst part of the day was finding a dead Malard duck that had been left and a dead pheasant roster. Who ever killed them took the breasts from the duck and had started plucking the neck of the pheasant and pulled the wings off but hadnít taken them with them. Just canít figure out why some would go hunting and then not take what they killed with them.

These were the first pheasants either of my dogs had flushed. I thought they did pretty good, just need to work with them about not chasing after the birds when they flush. This was my red lab Parisís first year hunting as she spent most of last fall working on a movie set which didnít give me much time to get her ready to hunt. Also couldnít afford to let her get hurt.

I think next time I need to take my Remington 1100 out instead of the 870. Less chance of a short stroking with it.
grumpy1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 08:01   #2
badzero
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

FALaholic #: 65818
Our pheasant population went to shit when the turkey population exploded about 20 years ago, they seem to be finally making a comeback recently, at least I'm seeing them on the gravel roads in the evenings again. I've been meaning to take my 12 year old out, but life has been too busy this fall. I think I'm going to have to say screw it all next weekend and go.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth.
badzero is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 08:15   #3
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
No longer allowed to hunt peasants in my area. It has been suggested to move up a class or two.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 08:41   #4
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
A guy at work goes out to SD to hunt pheasant every year and from what he says it sounds like a hoot. Still on my bucket list for now.
Old November 19, 2017, 09:54   #5
Registered

FALaholic #: 348
just visited the area around Chickasha, Ok & nothing but wall to wall people. frickin blows for hunting. nothing but private hunting lodges & guides & since when did hunting have to involve bringing a female unit along?
0302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 11:35   #6
ArtBanks
Veteran Member
Platinum Contributor

FALaholic #: 28761
In our area of CT. One of my friends used to run a " hunting preserve".
What a joke. They raised pheasants in cages, then when the city " hunters" came to kill birds, a few were caught , stuffed in burlap bags and taken out to the hunting area where walking trails were mowed between growths of tall grass. Then the birds would be taken out of the bag one at a time, their head stuffed under a wing and spun around before being " set " for the hunters.
Those poor birds would stay right where they were set until almost stepped on before flying straight up and being shot. We used to laugh at the New Yorker's stories of the great bird hunting they had gotten. Golf carts took them to withing 50' of were they shot the stunned pheasants.
ArtBanks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 12:26   #7
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
We had better phesant hunting on Long Island back in the 80's than ive seen anywhere in PA, IL or KY in the 30yrs since then....
In fact, except for a very occasional timber doodle, ive yet to see any upland game bird in 8 years afield in KY...Turkeys not included...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 13:14   #8
John A
Registered

FALaholic #: 73828
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
We had better phesant hunting on Long Island back in the 80's than ive seen anywhere in PA, IL or KY in the 30yrs since then....
In fact, except for a very occasional timber doodle, ive yet to see any upland game bird in 8 years afield in KY...Turkeys not included...
That's because of the coyotes that the state let loose.

Naturally, like the bears, they deny doing it.

But all of a sudden, there were bears and coyotes and other stuff running around all over the place that had not had a presence for 100 years prior.

But you probably wouldn't know that grouse and pheasants were quite common 25 years ago here.

But a lone coyote can kill an entire clutch of them. When the young ones are too small to flee, the mother would often swell up and refuse to fly off and try to get the attention of the coyote. Not knowing that once the coyote was finished eating her, it would move onto the little ones and eat them too. And in a matter of 10-15 years, their numbers were barely existent.

And thus why grouse, pheasant, dove, and even turkey have taken a hit in their population numbers. Grouse and Pheasant especially.

The last time that I killed a grouse was probably in the early 90's. Since then, I have seen maybe 3 of them and I refuse to shoot them, despite really loving to eat them. Now, I realize how much of a rare treat it is just to see one when I'm out hunting or hiking or whatever.
John A is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 13:38   #9
Invictus77
1C 16:13
Bronze Contributor

FALaholic #: 74205
Quote:
Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
a very occasional timber doodle
Nothing wrong with that, but be mindful of trail cameras bro.
Old November 19, 2017, 15:11   #10
yovinny
Registered

FALaholic #: 7679
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invictus77 View Post
Nothing wrong with that, but be mindful of trail cameras bro.
LOL,,,I believe your thinking more of a timber diddle mike,,,but after that last deer stand pic, I can understand bro...

It's a subtle difference,,,,along the lines of woodcock or wood cock...
yovinny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 19, 2017, 17:49   #11
John Crusher
Veteran Member
Gold Contributor

FALaholic #: 18663
I grew up in Nebraska and used to take the day off of school to go ringneck hunting. I now have a friend up in South Dakota whose big on chasing birds and am planning to go visit soon !
Old November 20, 2017, 07:10   #12
grumpy1
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
No longer allowed to hunt peasants in my area. It has been suggested to move up a class or two.
Thatís funny right there... had to double check to make sure I hadnít misspelled anything
Old November 25, 2017, 01:58   #13
grumpy1
Registered

I good thing that has come about from going hunting this fall, is that Iíve been able to lose almost 10 pounds since the end of October. If I can keep this up throughout the rest of the winter hunting season, I think I might get back down under 200 pounds for the first time in more than 10 years. Itís amazing how much weight you can lose just by walking and carrying 25 plus rounds of shotgun shells and packing a gun.

Years ago when I as in college, I had a roommate who was close to 300 pounds. He started walking every day for about 30 to 40 minuets at a tim. If I remember correctly, he wore size 48 jeans when he started. About every two weeks he was having to buy new jeans because he had lost so much weight.
Old December 07, 2017, 13:06   #14
alphadog58
Registered

FALaholic #: 9405
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtBanks View Post
In our area of CT. One of my friends used to run a " hunting preserve".
What a joke. They raised pheasants in cages, then when the city " hunters" came to kill birds, a few were caught , stuffed in burlap bags and taken out to the hunting area where walking trails were mowed between growths of tall grass. Then the birds would be taken out of the bag one at a time, their head stuffed under a wing and spun around before being " set " for the hunters.
Those poor birds would stay right where they were set until almost stepped on before flying straight up and being shot. We used to laugh at the New Yorker's stories of the great bird hunting they had gotten. Golf carts took them to withing 50' of were they shot the stunned pheasants.
All pheasant ďhuntingĒ in CT is a joke. The birds are all farm raised and ďstockedĒ by CT DEEP and private hunting clubs. No birds ever survive to start families in the spring. Unlike turkeys, which were reintroduced to CT and are now everywhere.
Larry

"Man, I know. Ever'body funny, you funny, too." George Thorogood
alphadog58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 07, 2017, 16:49   #15
nyalaman
Registered

FALaholic #: 67335
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphadog58 View Post
All pheasant ďhuntingĒ in CT is a joke. The birds are all farm raised and ďstockedĒ by CT DEEP and private hunting clubs. No birds ever survive to start families in the spring. Unlike turkeys, which were reintroduced to CT and are now everywhere.
Larry
Very true Alpha dog...and they stock in less areas now too, but supposedly they are putting out 15,000.